Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is there any gameplay for this game?

SheanixSheanix Member Posts: 11

Please excuse my skeptimism or ignorance. I see this game has generated quite a lot of hype on the forums, and read in to some of the features, seems cool. I looked and saw they have received almost $800,000 in their kickstarter campaign. Wow! From there I searched for some sort of gameplay footage or something I can get a grip on what the game will look like or how their features will translate in game and havent found anything.

All I have seen is just some drawings, dev blogs of features they want in the game, and one 3D modelled face. Is there any game footage or anything I can't find? Or has this alone generated this amount of money for them?

Please don't mistake this post for sarcasm or a question of City State's integrity. I do like the sound of what they are talking about, but I'm confused as what they have shown so far, how has it generated $800,000 in backing? Am I missing something?

Comments

• supergfunksupergfunk Member UncommonPosts: 95
    Dark Age of Camelot

• BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I'm guessing you missed playing DAoC years ago.  The short answer is yes, what you've seen is what has generated the KS money.  There's no gameplay yet.
  • ArcherBullseyeArcherBullseye Member Posts: 77

No, ou are not really missing anything.  The game is being funded because people believe in the team and its mission, also that funding it will help the Devs mold the game how CSE and the founders want because their will not be large investors trying to make it all about the money.

There are a few videos under the 'Update' section of Kickstarter that include a 3D model of one of the races but nothing of game play 'yet'.

Archer

• SheanixSheanix Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by Benezetta
    I'm guessing you missed playing DAoC years ago.  The short answer is yes, what you've seen is what has generated the KS money.  There's no gameplay yet.

I see, okay. No I never played DAoC. It seemed odd to me how the generated so much with so little, but that makes some sense then

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by Sheanix
    Originally posted by Benezetta

I see, okay. No I never played DAoC. It seemed odd to me how the generated so much with so little, but that makes some sense then

How much is your dream MMORPG worth to you? For people who are dissatisfied with what is coming out and what is being developed, there is no other real choice. I believe in the game and I believe CSE can do it, so I pledged. Thousands of others feel the same, and hopefully tens of thousands more will step up. I'd love to see this game get $3M+, though right now just getting to $2M is going to be a tough climb.

There is no other MMORPG I am looking forward to, so if this one does not get made, I am likely out of the genre.

• saurus123saurus123 Member UncommonPosts: 678

no theres no gameplay or any info abouc classes and other stuff

theres only a concept of what game will be like (that will propably fail as we see for every game released in past 10 years)

and ofc the name of Daoc that milk money from gamers :D

• PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb Member Posts: 167
    Originally posted by supergfunk
    Dark Age of Camelot

^

In one of the Kickstarter videos (the first one I think), it shows Andrew Meggs with a single character on his screen panning the game camera around a simple environment. I think that's about the extent of it. Wouldn't call it gameplay.   :D  

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

• SheanixSheanix Member Posts: 11

• evil13evil13 Member CommonPosts: 359

It's not a game, at this point it's a concept (with a bit of art and some engine ideas, coming out lately)

The reasons it has gotten some hype and has generated almost 800k on kickstarter are:

Daoc - no game like it, whether or not it has the best pvp system is debatable, but it has a system that has not been replicated in any other mmo, and so a lot of ex daoc players want another game like it. CU promises some features that make the players think it will be as good rvr wase as daoc was (daoc had at it's height 250k subs, and probably 500k-1mil players played the game)

Mark Jacobs - the creator of daoc, and a well known figure in the industry. If it was a no name game studio with a bunch of no name devs they would not be able to get this much pledges with just concepts and ideas.

Communication - Mark and CSE team have done an excellent job of communicating with players, letting us know various details and answering questions. While no one knows what the game will be like (even the devs frankly) based on the "foundation principals" and the stuff from interviews players can get a decent idea of what the game is supposed to be like.

Obviously the finer points (which matter a lot) will not be known untill at least beta, but the core of the game can be predicted fairly well.

This 3 reasons is what drives the hype and the pledges on kickstarter.

If the though of tri-realm at war with no pve, but some sort of an rvr/crafting progression, and a player run economy sounds interesting to you, consider pledging some money. If that doesn't seem like something you'd be interested in, well, CU isn't for everyone (and the willigness of the devs to push this point instead of being something for everyone also adds to people's excitement. After all, if the game has no pve it better have some damn good RvR otherwise no one would play it, and good rvr is what we all want :) )

• BunzofSteelBunzofSteel Member Posts: 10
     What Evil13 said :)
  • SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861

Funnily enough, there is gameplay for this game already! Pre-Development MetaGaming (or PDMG, as the kids are calling it.)

It goes like this: there is a game concept that provides the game content (CU), and gaming forums provide the game world (Here, the CU Subreddit, etc.). Within this framework, PCs, (or Poster Characters) are divided into different classes, hybrids of which can be created:

Theorycrafters: squishy and easy to damage, but given a little room to work, they can summon up magnificent effects that bewilder and confuse their enemies and buff their allies.

Stalwarts: these sturdy, stoic PCs are admittedly one-dimensional and possess a limited skillset, but they are nigh impervious to being affected by other PCs and can use their skills in almost any game world region with little need to alter them at all.

Flamers: also potentially squishy, these offensive PCs have devastating capabilities, but run the risk of overextending themselves and making themselves vunerable to the next two classes...

Chroniclers: these PCs are both resistant to damage and have a wide array of knowledge skills they can use to both bolster their allies and debuff their enemies. They know everything, but they rarely use this knowledge except for self/realm defense, or to bolster their allies.

Trolls: techinally a race, but one that can only take one class (Troll) so it becomes one entity. These PCs regenerate health very quickly, which is a good thing since they take So. Much. Damage. This is because while a Trolls attacks can be initially devastating and cause chaos, once the initial attack is done, usually from stealth, their offense is relatively easy to counteract, especially if you have a Stalwart to tank while your Chronicler debuffs the Troll into oblivion.

So far I like the gameplay in CU. The graphics are a little stuck in the MUD, but overall I think the versatility and unpredictable nature of the game more than make up for it. The classes are really unbalanced at this point, but maybe that's just because I am playing a Theorycrafter. We are OP right now, but I hear we are going to be nerfed in the future and Chroniclers are going to be easymode. We'll see.

Cheers!

• EdanyEdany Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Originally posted by PerfArt

Funnily enough, there is gameplay for this game already! Pre-Development MetaGaming (or PDMG, as the kids are calling it.)

It goes like this: there is a game concept that provides the game content (CU), and gaming forums provide the game world (Here, the CU Subreddit, etc.). Within this framework, PCs, (or Poster Characters) are divided into different classes, hybrids of which can be created:

Theorycrafters: squishy and easy to damage, but given a little room to work, they can summon up magnificent effects that bewilder and confuse their enemies and buff their allies.

Stalwarts: these sturdy, stoic PCs are admittedly one-dimensional and possess a limited skillset, but they are nigh impervious to being affected by other PCs and can use their skills in almost any game world region with little need to alter them at all.

Flamers: also potentially squishy, these offensive PCs have devastating capabilities, but run the risk of overextending themselves and making themselves vunerable to the next two classes...

Chroniclers: these PCs are both resistant to damage and have a wide array of knowledge skills they can use to both bolster their allies and debuff their enemies. They know everything, but they rarely use this knowledge except for self/realm defense, or to bolster their allies.

Trolls: techinally a race, but one that can only take one class (Troll) so it becomes one entity. These PCs regenerate health very quickly, which is a good thing since they take So. Much. Damage. This is because while a Trolls attacks can be initially devastating and cause chaos, once the initial attack is done, usually from stealth, their offense is relatively easy to counteract, especially if you have a Stalwart to tank while your Chronicler debuffs the Troll into oblivion.

So far I like the gameplay in CU. The graphics are a little stuck in the MUD, but overall I think the versatility and unpredictable nature of the game more than make up for it. The classes are really unbalanced at this point, but maybe that's just because I am playing a Theorycrafter. We are OP right now, but I hear we are going to be nerfed in the future and Chroniclers are going to be easymode. We'll see.

Cheers!

• MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Sheanix

Please excuse my skeptimism or ignorance. I see this game has generated quite a lot of hype on the forums, and read in to some of the features, seems cool. I looked and saw they have received almost $800,000 in their kickstarter campaign. Wow! From there I searched for some sort of gameplay footage or something I can get a grip on what the game will look like or how their features will translate in game and havent found anything.

All I have seen is just some drawings, dev blogs of features they want in the game, and one 3D modelled face. Is there any game footage or anything I can't find? Or has this alone generated this amount of money for them?

Please don't mistake this post for sarcasm or a question of City State's integrity. I do like the sound of what they are talking about, but I'm confused as what they have shown so far, how has it generated $800,000 in backing? Am I missing something?

I think the best explanation can be spoted here on how, atleast the writer, feels about the game and why its made as much cash as it has.

There are also some walk cycle animations here for the TDD (im not spelling it cause ill just screw it up). The best info comes from Marks Founding Principals on why we are all so optomistic.