Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Can the Fair Use act null NDA for MMO games?

IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509

I recently came across what is known as the Fair Use of the Copyright Act 1976 which states:

"Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for "fair use" for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use."

So with this thought in mind If I did qualify as someone who with a legit purpose should be able to break the NDA of any MMO?

I am not a legal expert I just thought maybe someone on this site might know?image

Comments

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

no, because when you log into the game it counts as a eltronic signature when you read the NDA. this has the same legal aspects of a normal sig.

because of this a NDA is actually a signed contract between the company and the tester, which throws all fair use laws out the window.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• TealaTeala Member RarePosts: 7,627
    Originally posted by Squeak69

no, because when you log into the game it counts as a eltronic signature when you read the NDA. this has the same legal aspects of a normal sig.

because of this a NDA is actually a signed contract between the company and the tester, which throws all fair use laws out the window.

This is correct.   The NDA(which is a binding contract made between consenting parties) makes 107 null and void.

• SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

Originally posted by Slampig

I know...sucks doesn't it. 

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Teala

This is correct.   The NDA(which is a binding contract made between consenting parties) makes 107 null and void.

fast respone TY for the info.image

@ Teala Oh btw Im wining the last post game in spam. image

ok how do you get this emo face head wall smashing thing, i see it a bit and cant figure it out.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage

ok how do you get this emo face head wall smashing thing, i see it a bit and cant figure it out.

Click on the emotes tab under the box where you type your comment - you'll find it there.   image

• Superman0XSuperman0X Member RarePosts: 2,292

Well, there is also the fact that fair use is relative to copyright law, not contract law (NDA).

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657

The Emotes button in the WYSIWYG version of the site's editor. 3 buttons away from the Post Message button.

"I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams

Click on the emotes tab under the box where you type your comment - you'll find it there.   image

imageawsome ty

• TsumoroTsumoro Member UncommonPosts: 435

No is the answer, plain and simple. Its a bit sucky of you if you knowingly know there is an NDA in place and your trying to find away to 'break' that. I can only think its for Youtube or streaming purposes. 

If thats the case, just wait until its released or when the NDA is lifted and then do it. Most game companies are fine if their games are walkthroughed, let's play and so forth as it creates interest in their games. I do say most mind you... Sega has been a bit rough on it, as have Atlus and I read not long ago Microsoft games where getting a bit narky too. 

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    The restrictions that an NDA places on you are independent from the restrictions that copyright places on you.
  • HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

Also sometimes their downloaders and game applications themselves (though rarely the content that you access with them) are generic open source ones that they tend to write-in exeptions and exemptions for. If your looking at an NDA/EULA document, just assume you can do nothing but what is listed under any part that is tittled as exeptions and exemptions, without permission.

Asking the parent companies legal department for permission to make use of something (if your earnest in your intentions) can go a long way. Especially if you are very specific. It often takes a few weeks to a few months to get a reply...and it is a 50/50 shot at getting permission for limited use of something. But, it can get you somewhere.

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Originally posted by Helleri

Also sometimes their downloaders and game applications themselves (though rarely the content that you access with them) are generic open source ones that they tend to write-in exeptions and exemptions for. If your looking at an NDA/EULA document, just assume you can do nothing but what is listed under any part that is tittled as exeptions and exemptions, without permission.

Asking the parent companies legal department for permission to make use of something (if your earnest in your intentions) can go a long way. Especially if you are very specific. It often takes a few weeks to a few months to get a reply...and it is a 50/50 shot at getting permission for limited use of something. But, it can get you somewhere.

This is intreasting. I would of never of thoght of this. TY