Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is archer that bad ?

LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

I kind of like Archer gameplay. But I am hearing now Archer is bad for pve and not wanted in groups!

Why , please elaborate ?

Comments

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    This post could be made about almost every class based MMO ever made. Archer/Ranger class is usually considered a bad class by raiders as they don't pigeonhole into the trinity, at least not as optimally as mage or rogue do. Unless something new has cropped up, there's nothing wrong with the archer class. Play what you want to play.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• shi7anshi7an Member UncommonPosts: 14
    I haven't played TERA much but isn't it like that in 90% of the mmorpgs? Archers don't usually have AoEs or at least not as strong as the mages or whatever class the game designers picked to be the AoE class which usually isn't the archer. And they can't tank nor heal. So it's like why have a single target dps when you can have other useful classes instead.
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

On other hand. For some reason modern MMOs like mob you fight to consist of weaker mob group instead of stronger solo enemy.

Than they go and design class that has high single damage and almost no aoe.

This is especially evident in SWTOR .... and its very annoying to when leveling.

• NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

Archer has been maligned ever since I can remember (Korea, English betas, launch and after my return).

A few months after launch, I remember there being an archer in my guild that was part of a static group running HMs. He said he had to prove himself even more than the other damage dealers as to not get kicked out of groups.

This is still the case, from what I've been told.

The class seems to be fairly involved (for a ranged damage dealer) and there's the range thing to think about (for maximum damage). On top of that, archer is still as squishy as always.

The other ranged damage dealer (sorcerer) has everything needed for the job and more. This is where archer falls short. Sorcerer is punished by their casting animations whereas archer is mobile.

What I try and remember from my experience with that one top archer is: it's the player behind the toon that matters.

Play what you like most. Prove others wrong. There are baddies in all the classes. Even more with classes that are super easy to pick up.

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    Human Archer here and loving every minute of it. Play what you enjoy playing.
  • NBlitzNBlitz Member Posts: 1,904

I saw the following and thought the replies given are relevant to the topic.

What exactly does separate "good" archers from "great" archers?

• DoctorhooDoctorhoo Member UncommonPosts: 235
    Originally posted by VastoHorde
    Human Archer here and loving every minute of it. Play what you enjoy playing.

I Totally Agree.  Play what you enjoy playing and learn to be the best you can in that class.  You will find a spot in dungeons or raids or BAM Hunting or PVP if that is your nitch.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

I kind of like Archer gameplay. But I am hearing now Archer is bad for pve and not wanted in groups!

Why , please elaborate ?

this is why mmos that focus on heavy trinity are bullshit. Imagine that its true about Archers. Do I have to make another damn class just to please other people or ill be damned without  being able to do PvE runs? garbage.

I dont know if its true that about archers in TERA but i wouldnt give a single shit about it. Last time i played TERA i had fun solo playing my archer but i stopped playing a month or two ago. And if that is true then thats a good enough reason for me not to log back in.

• eHugeHug Member UncommonPosts: 265

At least on Killian archers have no troubles finding parties. I also don't see how the trinity is supposed to make it harder for an archer to find a group or how high single target damage makes it harder in instances where bosses usually are a single target - and that's the only place where grouping for pve makes sense to start with. Large parts of the game got nerfed to crap, everything outside of a few level 60 instances can be soloed without much effort.

LFG!
  • itchmonitchmon Member RarePosts: 1,999

if two imaginary perfect players sat down to do damage in TERA in a group, one sorc and one archer, the sorc would do a little more damage.

of course this above scenario discounts the fact that the archer has 10x the mobility (and therefore ability to avoid damage) than the sorc does (and of course the old MMO adage that the DPS of a dead Damage dealer is zero).  however for whatever reason people who like to min/max use the above example when they decide which class is the best.

the truth is that a good sorc is a pleasure to have in a group, and so is a good archer.  especially in TERA where in general, just fighting stuff is pretty fun.

personally as a lancer, i have never told a player of any class to leave group, the only time i'll refuse a player in my group because of their class would be if we already have a member of that class (because i dont want to be involved in folks fighting over gear drops).  or of course, if we're 4/5 full and we have no healer i'd obviously have to hold out till a healer shows up, etc.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, ESO

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

Why , please elaborate ?

except that I hear that high level archers do very well in pvp.

if that is what you are asking about.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by itchmon

if two imaginary perfect players sat down to do damage in TERA in a group, one sorc and one archer, the sorc would do a little more damage.

of course this above scenario discounts the fact that the archer has 10x the mobility (and therefore ability to avoid damage) than the sorc does (and of course the old MMO adage that the DPS of a dead Damage dealer is zero).  however for whatever reason people who like to min/max use the above example when they decide which class is the best.

You're kind of overlooking one fairly HUGE fact about the sorc. Sorc's have a ridiculous amount of CC (that they can basically throw out constantly), making the mobility advantage archers have quite a bit less significant.

Archers basically do good damage, mostly single target, with limited CC and can move while attacking. Sorcs do good damage, mostly AoE, with heavy CC, but they have to stop for a sec to cast most spells (sometimes 2-3 secs for the big spells).

That's ultimately why people tend to go w/ Sorcs over Archers. In manor I was dealing ~12-16k dmg regularly on my sorc AoE, on my archer I couldn't match that even with my big single target attacks. My archer could attack faster, but it didn't really seem to make up for that drop in damage.

Archer's are still a decent class, heck they all are if you play them well, but that's basically why people don't always like archers. Could be worse though, he could've rolled a zerker.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Why , please elaborate ?

except that I hear that high level archers do very well in pvp.

if that is what you are asking about.

They do alright. The mobility they have is nice, but they don't get much CC or anti-block. That's ultimately why I settled on sorc for my ranged dmg toon. High burst, a whole ton of CC, and attacks that can penetrate fairly defensive players if they try and turtle. Plus the amount of AoE is pretty useful. Biggest problem w/ Sorcs though, is they're easier to focus down if you get blitzed, rangers have a slightly easier time escaping.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

while i cant speak for other people when i think of a archer i think of a long range fighter. . . . . . in this game they really aint that, i mean they have range but honestly compared to any other MMO i have evered played thier range is kinda sad.

i now they do good damage and they have alot of things going for them but honestly where the hell is range at i can kick my shoes off furhter then these bows can shot.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.