Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar: Lady British’s Rule at GDC

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

During the recent Game Developer's Conference, we managed to get our hands on the iPad version of the forthcoming Ultima Forever and, boy, was it sweet. Check out our impressions and then head to the comments to continue the conversation.

The demo we saw began with a tap movement system which also has smartpath to get around the dungeons and outside areas. You can interact with a lot of objects in the game. There are levers, traps, and gates. As you go through a dungeon there are checkpoints which allow you to respawn so you don’t have to go back to the beginning.  The interface moved very well on the iPad and the look of the game is beautiful. The hand painted tiles stand out on the screen and it is easy to get around.

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Ultima Forever: Lady British’s Rule at GDC.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• ElderknightElderknight Member UncommonPosts: 322
    seems to have great ideas, will be worth checking out, thanks for the info.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    From what I read on other sites this is a good game hampered by an aggressive microtransaction system,which seems to be the SOP of EA these days.Of course this game isn't released yet so it could change.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Too bad there's still no info about the pc version, only that it will come Soon(tm) in the future. It will be a decent title to spend some time on until Shroud.

"tap targeting" lol

• chr1smchr1sm Member Posts: 42
    There's a BIG difference between Ultima ONLINE and the Ultima series. When(most) people reference UO, they are talking about Ultima Online the 2nd Age specifically(pre-trammel which killed the game). There was a very distinct experience with UO that hasn't been achieved/replicated til this day. To anyone that's played UO every game since then has been an Everquest clone. The term "sandbox" has been watered down since then. Anyway, I can tell right now this game is going to flop, it's nothing but another hack/slash/quest MMO making its way now to the iPad. Wooptie doo. This game looks to have been inspired more from the Ultima Series(which I can care less about) and not Ultima Online- the greatest mmo ever.

I'm waiting for Richard Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar. Did he even have anything to do with UF?
  • DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by chr1sm
    There's a BIG difference between Ultima ONLINE and the Ultima series. When(most) people reference UO, they are talking about Ultima Online the 2nd Age specifically(pre-trammel which killed the game). There was a very distinct experience with UO that hasn't been achieved/replicated til this day. To anyone that's played UO every game since then has been an Everquest clone. The term "sandbox" has been watered down since then. Anyway, I can tell right now this game is going to flop, it's nothing but another hack/slash/quest MMO making its way now to the iPad. Wooptie doo. This game looks to have been inspired more from the Ultima Series(which I can care less about) and not Ultima Online- the greatest mmo ever.

I'm waiting for Richard Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar. Did he even have anything to do with UF?

No, it just gave people who weren't interested in getting murdered the second they stepped outside of town a place to play without worrying about some jackass who they have no chane of defeating taking their stuff. It's also a well documented fact that subscriber numbers greatly increased with the introduction of Trammel. So in other words...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WrjwaqZfjIY

As for the game at hand... yeah, no. Not interested in the slightest. It's Ultima in name only, and even then only so EA can make some money off of folks looking for nostalgia. I myself will be waiting for Mr. Garriott's upcoming game for a true Ultima experience.

• trancejeremytrancejeremy Member UncommonPosts: 1,222

So they turned Ultima into Gauntlet?  Finding keys?  Does it constantly ask you for quarters? Avatar needs food!

Great, just great.

R.I.P. City of Heroes and my 17 characters there

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722

I hope this project fails miserably.  Any Ultima fan should feel insulted that EA has the audacity to tarnish the series' name with this nonsense.  Live up to the legacy?  Please.

• chr1smchr1sm Member Posts: 42
    Originally posted by DalekThay
    No, it just gave people who weren't interested in getting murdered the second they stepped outside of town a place to play without worrying about some jackass who they have no chane of defeating taking their stuff. It's also a well documented fact that subscriber numbers greatly increased with the introduction of Trammel. So in other words...

As for the game at hand... yeah, no. Not interested in the slightest. It's Ultima in name only, and even then only so EA can make some money off of folks looking for nostalgia. I myself will be waiting for Mr. Garriott's upcoming game for a true Ultima experience.

Sorry to burst your bubble, the wide-held belief is that Trammel killed the true UO experience as it was known  - the ongoing adrenaline rush of open world PvP (in a game that was NOT marketed as a "pvp game") was a major/key beloved aspect that hasn't been successfully recreated since.

Subscriptions grew after Trammel (a largely promoted expansion in very niche market) for the same reason they grew with Everquest ect.. More people started getting cable/dsl/getting internet in general/UO and MMORPGs started becoming more popular as well. With your same logic is WoW must be the best MMORPG there is because most of the masses have subscribed?

• sumo0sumo0 Member UncommonPosts: 115

Yet another EA monster is spawned.

Thanks but no thanks. My dogs poo is worth more in my point of view since i can atleast use that to fertilize a forest.

Ill be waiting for a real developer to make an actual game and not just some service platform that they can use to bombard you with their ads.

• oubersoubers Member UncommonPosts: 855
    Originally posted by sumo0

Thanks but no thanks. My dogs poo is worth more in my point of view since i can atleast use that to fertilize a forest.

Ill be waiting for a real developer to make an actual game and not just some service platform that they can use to bombard you with their ads.

^^THIS^^

• couponforkcouponfork Member UncommonPosts: 114
    I've been a fan of UO since the beginning and while this game clearly isn't anything related to UO -- for a mobile game it doesn't look half bad, could be a nice time waster.
  • wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    EA. Nuff said. It could be Ultima Online 2. If EA has anything to do with it, it will be garbage.
  • kosackosac Member UncommonPosts: 206
    Originally posted by oubers
    Originally posted by sumo0

^^THIS^^

+1

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094

Might've given this a chance if they just named Lady British Baron British instead.  Maybe Duke British or something.  Though the whole "Lady British" is almost offensive to fans of Ultima's lore continuity.  In that I don't mean anything sexist, but if Lara Croft was suddenly turned into a guy who throws empty bottles of beer at his enemies it would likely feel the same as it does with this.  Now, I know that Lord British is copy righted under Mr. Garriot, but there are stills that could be translated into a "Lord" such as the beforementioned "Baron" British.

It's a nitpick to be sure, but one that's nearly unforgivable and seems to be an affront on Richard himself and those who were fans of the games he was a part of.  Bad public relations move if they were trying to get the sights of old school Ultima fans, and they needed that kind've backup considering this just seems to be a mobile cash cow trying to pray on the the consumer market.

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • SenadinaSenadina Member UncommonPosts: 896
    Paying real money for keys to unlock random boxes is abhorrent to me. The first time I saw this was Allods Online, and since then it's cropped up in GW2, Defiance, and any number of browser games. Yes, some let you "find" keys in game, but the drop rate is intentionally miniscule. My other issue here is that microtransactions are determining game design, and the gaming experience is suffering for it.

• DrNo172000DrNo172000 Member Posts: 48
     This game looks to have been inspired more from the Ultima Series(which I can care less about) and not Ultima Online- the greatest mmo ever.

Have you ever played any of the Ultima games?  Because this game has zero in common with the Ultima series.  Ultima Online has a lot in common with them.

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    Originally posted by Yaevindusk

Might've given this a chance if they just named Lady British Baron British instead.  Maybe Duke British or something.  Though the whole "Lady British" is almost offensive to fans of Ultima's lore continuity.  In that I don't mean anything sexist, but if Lara Croft was suddenly turned into a guy who throws empty bottles of beer at his enemies it would likely feel the same as it does with this.  Now, I know that Lord British is copy righted under Mr. Garriot, but there are stills that could be translated into a "Lord" such as the beforementioned "Baron" British.

It's a nitpick to be sure, but one that's nearly unforgivable and seems to be an affront on Richard himself and those who were fans of the games he was a part of.  Bad public relations move if they were trying to get the sights of old school Ultima fans, and they needed that kind've backup considering this just seems to be a mobile cash cow trying to pray on the the consumer market.

I think it's actually intended to be Lord B's daughter, and is representative of Kate Flack leading design, rather than Garriott.  Not a sex-change.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• mysticalunamysticaluna Member UncommonPosts: 265
    Lord of the Rings Online and Vanguard Saga of Heroes both have keys to open lockboxes, so people usually just give away all of the boxes or just sell them for peanuts on auction house, because most of us won't pay real money for keys... we all have tons of worthless lockboxes, my baby low levels below 10 on Vanguard have several boxes that I won't waste keys on... 
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Lord British's and Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues

vs. 

Lady British's and Ultima Forever: Quest for the Avatar 

Gee... I wonder how this is going to turn out... lol. 

• YaevinduskYaevindusk Member RarePosts: 2,094
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

I think it's actually intended to be Lord B's daughter, and is representative of Kate Flack leading design, rather than Garriott.  Not a sex-change.

Yeah, I wondered if there was some context missing before I posted it.  Though it was my initial reaction and would likely be the same for many others, so I just submitted it as a first impression of a game that we don't have access to.  In that, I displayed my own harsh criticism and quick conclusions just on how the public is perceiving the game and the limited information I read on their actual website.  It would have been appropriate to mention who Lady British is on their site as opposed to just saying Lady British has replaced Lord British because Richard Garriot still owns the right to the name.  Seems like something that public relations could help avod, and thus I still stand by the core of what I was saying.  :3

Due to frequent travel in my youth, English isn't something I consider my primary language (and thus I obtained quirky ways of writing).  German and French were always easier for me despite my family being U.S. citizens for over a century.  Spanish I learned as a requirement in school, Japanese and Korean I acquired for my youthful desire of anime and gaming (and also work now).  I only debate in English to help me work with it (and limit things).  In addition, I'm not smart enough to remain fluent in everything and typically need exposure to get in the groove of things again if I haven't heard it in a while.  If you understand Mandarin, I know a little, but it has actually been a challenge and could use some help.

Also, I thoroughly enjoy debates and have accounts on over a dozen sites for this.  If you wish to engage in such, please put effort in a post and provide sources -- I will then do the same with what I already wrote (if I didn't) as well as with my responses to your own.  Expanding my information on a subject makes my stance either change or strengthen the next time I speak of it or write a thesis.  Allow me to thank you sincerely for your time.
  • AstropuyoAstropuyo Member RarePosts: 2,178

BS.

I was a red in my early days of UO. I'd happily kill anyone whom entered my safe zone (one tile...as you are not halberding me with that uber Halberd (the un nerfed ones? Anyone remember those? I had a collection of 5 that one hit killed anyone still have one to this day if my account bank didn't clear).

Point is. PK's where only bad in moonglow. It was not even as bad as most have troped on.

Besides in those days if you were alone, you were a mob to be farmed. This was UO at it's core. A brutal world where if you didn't make friends, you'd be speaking "OoooOOooOoooOOOoooo".

As for sub numbers lets hear this well documented case. since it's well documented it should be right there. Then lets look at how long those subs lasted as I had found the average new player post tram played a couple of months and stopped. As opposed to all those I had known and played with since release.

Please tell me more?

Because Baja went from awesome to a ghost town in the exact time trammel came out.

Pacific died off.

Many people who pop in acting as though trammel was good for the game are the same type whom played on AOL legends so they never even knew the original game.

Just saying I've found that those that played with Legends tend to be the clueless horses in this case~

• mcrippinsmcrippins Member RarePosts: 1,626
    Originally posted by Astropuyo

BS.

I was a red in my early days of UO. I'd happily kill anyone whom entered my safe zone (one tile...as you are not halberding me with that uber Halberd (the un nerfed ones? Anyone remember those? I had a collection of 5 that one hit killed anyone still have one to this day if my account bank didn't clear).

Point is. PK's where only bad in moonglow. It was not even as bad as most have troped on.

Besides in those days if you were alone, you were a mob to be farmed. This was UO at it's core. A brutal world where if you didn't make friends, you'd be speaking "OoooOOooOoooOOOoooo".

As for sub numbers lets hear this well documented case. since it's well documented it should be right there. Then lets look at how long those subs lasted as I had found the average new player post tram played a couple of months and stopped. As opposed to all those I had known and played with since release.

Please tell me more?

Because Baja went from awesome to a ghost town in the exact time trammel came out.

Pacific died off.

Many people who pop in acting as though trammel was good for the game are the same type whom played on AOL legends so they never even knew the original game.

Just saying I've found that those that played with Legends tend to be the clueless horses in this case~

Reminding me of my PK sprees in Glow.. ahh those were the days. *Gets teary-eyed* Honestly though - while yes you could be killed anywhere but town - adding Trammel literally killed the game. At least the game it was before. You basically took a Risk vs Reward game, and turned it into No-Risk, Tons of rewards, in a Bob Ross style, happy little tree kinda world.  While I tried to continue playing after that, it was just not as fun. What some people seem to forget, is that even though there were people who would pk you. There were also people that hunted PKs. Also - what a lot of non-pk's didnt realize, is that PK'ing was more like a job. You needed to do it to maintain resources. Sure you could just reroll a new char, but back then it actually took time to do so. 

• IllyssiaIllyssia Member UncommonPosts: 1,507
    Originally posted by BillMurphy

/sigh

No Bill, it isn't because of that. Ultima Forever builds on the Ultima IV world, and since Richard Garriot owns the rights to the Lord British identity Mythic/EA had to come up with Lady British as a way arround this.

I think it could be an iPad blast. At F2P pricepoint can certainly download and give it a whirl without fear. Certainly looks way more promising than Richard Garriots Facebook gaming stuff.

http://www.ultimaforever.com