Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open World PvP

IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051

http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/clearing-up-misconceptions-on-open-world-pvp.2072/ From Carbine

World PvP Opportunities on PvP Ruleset
On a PvP Ruleset server, PvP flagging is determined based on the zone your character is in. If you are in a zone that is affiliated with your faction, you’re not flagged…but you may voluntarily flag yourself. If you are in a zone that is affiliated with the opposing faction, you are flagged for PvP.If you’re in a zone that is shared by both factions, you will be flagged for PvP. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to run into your enemy in a shared zone and slay the day away ;) If you try to go into an opposing faction’s city, you are flagged for PvP (though, this is redundant on a PvP server, because you’re likely in that faction’s zone anyway).

Go read the thread for more information.

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,629
    Good to hear. Thanks for the link.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

They could have saved bandwidth if they just said it was the exact same as WoW.

Hopefully there won't be any level based ganking restrictions.  Immersion breaking.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    Yep.. and that is fine by me. Same system WoW uses for it's PvP server ruleset. I just hope that the cannned PvP does not kill world PvP, because while I enjoy both, I prefer world PvP.
  • IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Karteli

Hopefully there won't be any level based ganking restrictions.  Immersion breaking.

Haha, I should have quoted your original before edited. Great change to immersion breaking image

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by Karteli

I was going to say the same thing.

This is a good thing too, I like how WoW does it.

• majinantmajinant Member UncommonPosts: 418

This has made me even more excited to play this game now. I loved how wow handled open world pvp. I miss it. I hope it will be like it was back in Vanilla.

This is awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• will75will75 Member UncommonPosts: 365

The posts right here is why the mmo genre is dying :(

Wow and PVP should never be spoken together

• tixylixtixylix Member UncommonPosts: 1,288

There has never been a better MMO for PVP, Vanilla WoWs world PVP was amazing, sadly it's all been killed off now.

People always go on about DAOC but the world design sucked, the combat sucked and so did the UI.

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by tixylix

There has never been a better MMO for PVP, Vanilla WoWs world PVP was amazing, sadly it's all been killed off now.

People always go on about DAOC but the world design sucked, the combat sucked and so did the UI.

I'm sorry, but WoW has some of the worst PvP in the MMO genre. It had smooth combat, but that was about it. People give way too much praise to the game when it comes to PvP, but many can't seem to handle any of the games that actually focus on it.

WoW's PvP was fun for a time, but fun & good are not necessarily the same thing.

• Vunak23Vunak23 Member UncommonPosts: 633

My only concern with W* OWPvP at this point is the instant dungeon teleports and people just sitting in town/house plot just queueing. 

I would like to see summoning stones implemented instead of the instant port, at least on PvP servers. That way at least someone has to make the trek to the actual area with a chance of getting into a fight. And if you want instant ports they have the PvE servers for that. 

"In the immediate future, we have this one, and then we’ve got another one that is actually going to be – so we’re going to have, what we want to do, is in January, what we’re targeting to do, this may or may not happen, so you can’t hold me to it. But what we’re targeting to do, is have a fun anniversary to the Ilum shenanigans that happened. An alien race might invade, and they might crash into Ilum and there might be some new activities that happen on the planet." ~Gabe Amatangelo

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Originally posted by Vunak23

My only concern with W* OWPvP at this point is the instant dungeon teleports and people just sitting in town/house plot just queueing. 

I would like to see summoning stones implemented instead of the instant port, at least on PvP servers. That way at least someone has to make the trek to the actual area with a chance of getting into a fight. And if you want instant ports they have the PvE servers for that. 

I like this idea, some of the best world PVP I had was in WOW and around  the Scarlet Monestary dungeons.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

Originally posted by Tinybina

I like this idea, some of the best world PVP I had was in WOW and around  the Scarlet Monestary dungeons.

I miss the Tarren Mill/ South Shore PVP or at STV used to be nuts.

Those were the days of the whole world being populated with crazy fun dynamic world PVP and then instant travel killing it all.

Originally posted by aesperus

I'm sorry, but WoW has some of the worst PvP in the MMO genre. It had smooth combat, but that was about it. People give way too much praise to the game when it comes to PvP, but many can't seem to handle any of the games that actually focus on it.

WoW's PvP was fun for a time, but fun & good are not necessarily the same thing.

It was the best thanx to the combat and world design, sadly like I said instant travel and battlegrounds killed it and now it sucks. All Blizzard had to do was make contested territory actually capturable, provide meaningful content for it. There was always like 3 or 4 zones you could level up at any one time and it's very unlikely a faction would have them all, especially if everyone was fighting in the world like they used to. 

WoW is still the only MMO where hundreds upon hundreds of people were fighting in any one given area. Thanx to the sheer volume of players fights could get so big and laggy lol, I remember WAR having the same thing in tier 4 during beta, however sadly the game launched and died. 

Games like DAOC or even GW2 are much smaller scale than what you could get on WoW  in an event, I mean remember when the portals opened for TBC, it was nuts!

EVE Online has more players in fleet battles, however I don't really count that game, those fights are not fun or skill based.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Really if pvp is your thing you should be looking at the likes of eve, ps2, dfuw.

Not another bloody wow clone.

Also wow is not "the only game where you get hundreds of players fighting in an area"

More often than not wow crashed under such circumstances.

Games like daoc, eve, planetside, shadowbane and lineage2 handled large scale pvp Much much better and they came out before wow.

Wow is a raidgrinder with tacked on after thought pvp.
  • HrothaHrotha Member UncommonPosts: 821
    Originally posted by Eluldor

http://www.wildstar-central.com/index.php?threads/clearing-up-misconceptions-on-open-world-pvp.2072/ From Carbine

On a PvP Ruleset server, PvP flagging is determined based on the zone your character is in. If you are in a zone that is affiliated with your faction, you’re not flagged…but you may voluntarily flag yourself. If you are in a zone that is affiliated with the opposing faction, you are flagged for PvP.If you’re in a zone that is shared by both factions, you will be flagged for PvP. You’ll have plenty of opportunity to run into your enemy in a shared zone and slay the day away ;) If you try to go into an opposing faction’s city, you are flagged for PvP (though, this is redundant on a PvP server, because you’re likely in that faction’s zone anyway).

The Game is already the next big thing, no doubt.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by 4bsolute
    Originally posted by Eluldor

The Game is already the next big thing, no doubt.

Every MMO is next big thing till release. After release it is a different story.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

EVE Online has more players in fleet battles, however I don't really count that game, those fights are not fun or skill based.

Quoted just to discredit that guy's entire post. If WoW vanilla's PVP is better than EVE's PVP I have to ask what illegal substance you have ingested because in EVE fights are not only fun but also adrenaline inducing and as far as skill goes.. well unless you're ganking/getting ganked go sit your ass down and play EVE for a year in a deep null sec alliance and say skill isn't involved.

• SushibarfSushibarf Member UncommonPosts: 14

That is the one issue I have with the game it hurts world pvp.