Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lucas Arts Shut Down

Comments

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by ktanner3
     Disney will continue to whore out the franchise like LucasArts did. If anything I hope they slow the making of games down. There's been a crap load of Star Wars games the last ten years and most have been mediocre to bad. Very few(KOTOR,Battlfront) have been above average. 

Podracer on the N64 was it ? and The GC game on day one was pretty cool. I agree though battlefront 1 and 2 where amazing :). Hang on the hoth reinactments of ESB where superb on N64 and GC. Mind you not sure which where pure LA games.

Shame though , bye LucasArts we will miss you.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• HazelleHazelle Member Posts: 760
    Originally posted by FromHell

yeah, they like to shut down the great games and game studios and keep the turds alive.

Good bye Star Wars Galaxies and 1313, nice knowing you.

Also RIP :

Maniac Mansion

Zak McKraken

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Monkey Island

look at the bright side, we still have The Old Republic and Cartel Packs

Huh?

1) The talent that made those games moved on a long time ago.

2) Some of the games you've listed above were developed by another studio that had the licence and not Lucas Arts.

3)  The talent that left Lucas Arts in point 1 above formed their own studios and if they don't already have the licence to those games, they'll now be able to get it.  Would you really be upset if Tell Tale Games got the maniac mansion licence?

4) As pointed out already SWG is dead.

5) Before you say goodbye understand that 1313 is for sale.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Need to make one before you can stop.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars:_Yoda_Stories BOOM! image

Originally posted by Eir_S
    I never even heard about 1313.. was it in mid-development?

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    I am quite sad to hear LucasArts is closing. I am not a massive fan of Star Wars, but the games they made were amazing. Shadows of the Empire will always be near and dear to my heart.

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361

• RexNebularRexNebular Member Posts: 259
    Originally posted by tkreep

Nice target render. I wonder what the actual game looked like. (edit: Christofer Sundberg from Avalanche tweeted LA employees told him they needed two more years to complete the game so I guess that answers that.)

Anyway, they already said there's no interest among the developers to finish the game.

Margins are so small with licensed properties that only some mad or absolutely desperate developer/publisher would agree to work on an AAA Star Wars game.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by BradD77

yeah, they like to shut down the great games and game studios and keep the turds alive.

for your info, Star Wars Galaxies has been dead for number of years now

No kidding.It's too late to say goodbye after the corpse has already been buried and worms picking at it. 

I wonder how this "buried corpse" SWG still eats SWTOR for breakfast.

Because you're still dreaming. 

Maybe SWG has an immortal soul and will always live on, unlike dozens of run off the mill wowclones

Yes, it will be like the fanbase of the grateful dead. You'll still see a dead head every now and then but the rest of us who aren't stoned realize that it hasn't been relevant in years. 

Lol...that was hilarious reply. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by Sornin
    I am quite sad to hear LucasArts is closing. I am not a massive fan of Star Wars, but the games they made were amazing. Shadows of the Empire will always be near and dear to my heart.

For the N64?  Yeah, I remember renting that one.  It was hard as balls because the controls were terrible, but it was cool.

Ah, I see the reason people might be disappointed about 1313.  I'm not sure I got a "Star Wars" vibe from the video (no Jedi or anything), but it looks really good.  I always liked the "blaster and body armor" half of Star Wars better anyway.  I loved my trooper in SWTOR.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

You can bet your funny bones that this will affect existing SW games, who knows what will happen siwht SWTOR- maybe the contract will get cut short, maybe they'll want some changes, etc.

• GaborikGaborik Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by noncley

http://www.avclub.com/articles/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-ending-its-video-game,96052/   Disney shuts down LucasArts, ending its video game production forever

This Post Should Either Be Deleted Or Re-Named. Nothing About This Article Has Anything To Do With Swtor. A Matter Of Fact I Remember Other Failed Attemped At Trolling Post ThAt Was Along The Lines Of " Lucus Arts Has Removed Their Name From Swtor". The Stretch These People Continue To Go Just To Bash A Video Game Is A Joke.
  • superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by tkreep

Also RIP :

Maniac Mansion

Zak McKraken

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Monkey Island

look at the bright side, we still have The Old Republic and Cartel Packs

They said 1313 will be given to another developer to finish it.  Star Wars in general will come back with a bang in disneys hands and JJ Abrams is a great director imo made a lot of good stuff like Lost.

According to a source close to Kotaku, 150 people were laid off, and both of the studio's current projects - Star Wars: First Assault and Star Wars 1313 have been cancelled.

Lost is always the one that is compared to but none of the others like Frnge, Alcatraz, Persons of Interest, Revolution. Alias never get a mention.

Stephen J Cannell and Glen A Larsen were my favourites

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

The relevance of Disney shuttering LA and its 2 projects in relation to SWTOR is that Disney is obviously aggresively rebranding the Star Wars franchise it has purchased. (SW 1313 had a lot of money already poured into it, and it is not known if anyone will pick up its development.)

Whether or not this directly affects SWTOR remains to be seen. Regardless of licesnse status, a curious question is that LA did have several people whose responsibilty was to approve or dissaprove new SWTOR content as to whether or not it was acceptable in the SW EU canon. We don't know if those people still have jobs and what if any impact that has on new SWTOR content. (Will it be delayed, do they have more wiggle room at Bioware in regard to canon?)

When the SWTOR title screen comes up, LA is one of the 3 names.  Since SWTOR launched there have been big changes at Bioware, EA, and now LA. It doesn't seem off topic ,to me, to wonder how this will affect SWTOR when so many big rocks are being thrown in the pond. How  those ripples will possibly affect SWTOR seems relevant to discussion.

Originally posted by tiefighter25

The relevance of Disney shuttering LA and its 2 projects in relation to SWTOR is that Disney is obviously aggresively rebranding the Star Wars franchise it has purchased. (SW 1313 had a lot of money already poured into it, and it is not known if anyone will pick up its development.)

Whether or not this directly affects SWTOR remains to be seen. Regardless of licesnse status, a curious question is that LA did have several people whose responsibilty was to approve or dissaprove new SWTOR content as to whether or not it was acceptable in the SW EU canon. We don't know if those people still have jobs and what if any impact that has on new SWTOR content. (Will it be delayed, do they have more wiggle room at Bioware in regard to canon?)

When the SWTOR title screen comes up, LA is one of the 3 names.  Since SWTOR launched there have been big changes at Bioware, EA, and now LA. It doesn't seem off topic ,to me, to wonder how this will affect SWTOR when so many big rocks are being thrown in the pond. How  those ripples will possibly affect SWTOR seems relevant to discussion.

I am sorry this long winded stretch of an explanation as to why this article has anything to do with SWTOR is weak at best.  Its just an attempt by you to continue your 2 yr bash fest of a video game.  The more conspiracies the better for some folks i guess.  

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

No kidding.It's too late to say goodbye after the corpse has already been buried and worms picking at it. 

Maybe SWG has an immortal soul and will always live on, unlike dozens of run off the mill wowclones

Yes, it will be like the fanbase of the grateful dead. You'll still see a dead head every now and then but the rest of us who aren't stoned realize that it hasn't been relevant in years. 

nope, just dumb and not making any sense.

the scope, size and feature list of SWG crushes SWTOR like a rusty beer can, and it's even more fun because SWG is ten years older. This is the most noteworthy accomplishment of this dead game. Beating a 200 million dollar successor in all aspects except voiceovers.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

nope, just dumb and not making any sense.

Makes perfect sense. If you knew anything about music history you would see the similiarities. 

the scope, size and feature list of SWG crushes SWTOR like a rusty beer can, and it's even more fun because SWG is ten years older. This is the most noteworthy accomplishment of this dead game. Beating a 200 million dollar successor in all aspects except voiceovers.

And yet you play the game too. It can't be all that bad then.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

Originally posted by Gaborik

I am sorry this long winded stretch of an explanation as to why this article has anything to do with SWTOR is weak at best.  Its just an attempt by you to continue your 2 yr bash fest of a video game.  The more conspiracies the better for some folks i guess.  

How I've been bashing on a a game for 2 years, but have been a memeber for less then a year, I'm not sure.

If you bothered to read my long winded explanation, you would have noticed I pointed out that this change at LA might make life easier for Bioware.

There have been major changes at LA, which may affect SWTOR; it's a pretty hot topic on the SWTOR official forums as well.

Besides telling the OP what he can't make a thread about, or telling the moderators how to do their jobs, or telling me how or what I can comment on, do you have anything to add to the discussion?

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Also RIP :

Maniac Mansion

Zak McKraken

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Monkey Island

Not to forget stuff like Sam & Max, Dark Forces, Outlaws, The Dig, Grim Fandango, Full Throttle...

LucasArts used to make such great games: For a while it was almost like they couldn't help but make classics, anything they churned out was pure gold. Without them I might not have been the gaming fan I am to this day.

Of course, then came the 2000s. :)

The relevance of Disney shuttering LA and its 2 projects in relation to SWTOR is that Disney is obviously aggresively rebranding the Star Wars franchise it has purchased. (SW 1313 had a lot of money already poured into it, and it is not known if anyone will pick up its development.) Whether or not this directly affects SWTOR remains to be seen. Regardless of licesnse status, a curious question is that LA did have several people whose responsibilty was to approve or dissaprove new SWTOR content as to whether or not it was acceptable in the SW EU canon. We don't know if those people still have jobs and what if any impact that has on new SWTOR content. (Will it be delayed, do they have more wiggle room at Bioware in regard to canon?) When the SWTOR title screen comes up, LA is one of the 3 names.  Since SWTOR launched there have been big changes at Bioware, EA, and now LA. It doesn't seem off topic ,to me, to wonder how this will affect SWTOR when so many big rocks are being thrown in the pond. How  those ripples will possibly affect SWTOR seems relevant to discussion.

How I've been bashing on a a game for 2 years, but have been a memeber for less then a year, I'm not sure.

If you bothered to read my long winded explanation, you would have noticed I pointed out that this change at LA might make life easier for Bioware.

There have been major changes at LA, which may affect SWTOR; it's a pretty hot topic on the SWTOR official forums as well.

Besides telling the OP what he can't make a thread about, or telling the moderators how to do their jobs, or telling me how or what I can comment on, do you have anything to add to the discussion?

1YR Or 2 Yrs Both Are Pretty Sad When It ComesTo Bashing A Video Game. As For Calling Out The Op For Putting This Under SWTOR. Once aAgain This Article Had Nothing To Do With Swtor. To Purposely Put It In Swtor And Not General Gaming IsPurposely Misleading. I Guess I Am Confused How Hard That Is To Understand. If This WaS In General Gaming There Would Be No Issue. You Also Said This Could Affect Content Being Delayed? That Is A Joke, This Will Not Affect Swtor At All.
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

1YR Or 2 Yrs Both Are Pretty Sad When It ComesTo Bashing A Video Game. As For Calling Out The Op For Putting This Under SWTOR. Once aAgain This Article Had Nothing To Do With Swtor. To Purposely Put It In Swtor And Not General Gaming IsPurposely Misleading. I Guess I Am Confused How Hard That Is To Understand. If This WaS In General Gaming There Would Be No Issue. You Also Said This Could Affect Content Being Delayed? That Is A Joke, This Will Not Affect Swtor At All.

Source? =P

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Also RIP :

Maniac Mansion

Zak McKraken

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Monkey Island

LA made some great games in it's prime, but they really haven't interested me in years. I am not really sorry to see them go.

You also need to remember it was LA that killed SWG. It was never gonna come back.

Monkey Island has been the domain of Telltale for a good while as well now... it's been a long time since LA cared about the point'n'click adventure market as far as I am aware. Do you really think we would see a Maniac Mansion III off them? When Doublefine were the ones to develop The Cave?

LA was put down for a good reason. It's time was past.

Originally posted by Karteli

The relevance of Disney shuttering LA and its 2 projects in relation to SWTOR is that Disney is obviously aggresively rebranding the Star Wars franchise it has purchased. (SW 1313 had a lot of money already poured into it, and it is not known if anyone will pick up its development.) Whether or not this directly affects SWTOR remains to be seen. Regardless of licesnse status, a curious question is that LA did have several people whose responsibilty was to approve or dissaprove new SWTOR content as to whether or not it was acceptable in the SW EU canon. We don't know if those people still have jobs and what if any impact that has on new SWTOR content. (Will it be delayed, do they have more wiggle room at Bioware in regard to canon?) When the SWTOR title screen comes up, LA is one of the 3 names.  Since SWTOR launched there have been big changes at Bioware, EA, and now LA. It doesn't seem off topic ,to me, to wonder how this will affect SWTOR when so many big rocks are being thrown in the pond. How  those ripples will possibly affect SWTOR seems relevant to discussion.

Source? =P

Its An Educated Guess. Since The Only Involvement LA Had In Swtor Was Selling The Naming Rights Of Star Wars TO Bioware (Which Usually Is A Term Contract Of 7-10 Yrs) . I Guess I Should Have Said This Will Have No Affect Until Their Licensing Deal Expires. But You Two Dont Think The Game Will Last Another Year Or Two Anyways.
  • DrakynnDrakynn Member Posts: 2,030
    Originally posted by Vesavius

Also RIP :

Maniac Mansion

Zak McKraken

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Monkey Island

LA made some great games in it's prime, but they really haven't interested me in years. I am not really sorry to see them go.

You also need to remember it was LA that killed SWG. It was never gonna come back.

Monkey Island has been the domain of Telltale for a good while as well now... it's been a long time since LA cared about the point'n'click adventure market as far as I am aware. Do you really think we would see a Maniac Mansion III off them? When Doublefine were the ones to develop The Cave?

LA was put down for a good reason. It's time was past.

This.

The Real Lucasarts died over a decade ago.The last great Lucasarts in house developed game was Jedi Knight:Dark Forces 2.After that they only published games made by other studios using their IPs.

I'm just going to put this here and stop posting on the subject.

"EA and Lucasfilm Ltd, announced today an updated global publishing agreement for the highly anticipated massively multiplayer online videogame Star Wars: The Old Republic. With this new agreement, certain publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities previously designated to LucasArts will shift to EA, so that all publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities can be centralized for efficiency. Lucasfilm will continue serving as a key partner, collaborating on design and marketing, and as a licensor of the property."

I'm just going to put this here and stop posting on the subject."EA and Lucasfilm Ltd, announced today an updated global publishing agreement for the highly anticipated massively multiplayer online videogame Star Wars: The Old Republic. With this new agreement, certain publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities previously designated to LucasArts will shift to EA, so that all publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities can be centralized for efficiency. Lucasfilm will continue serving as a key partner, collaborating on design and marketing, and as a licensor of the property."

I Really Hope You Mean SWTOR As Your Subject.
  • Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

I'm just going to put this here and stop posting on the subject.

"EA and Lucasfilm Ltd, announced today an updated global publishing agreement for the highly anticipated massively multiplayer online videogame Star Wars: The Old Republic. With this new agreement, certain publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities previously designated to LucasArts will shift to EA, so that all publishing, marketing and distribution responsibilities can be centralized for efficiency. Lucasfilm will continue serving as a key partner, collaborating on design and marketing, and as a licensor of the property."

When it was announced? Highly anticipated wording... it was before SWTOR launched I guess...

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E