Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Guild Wars 2: The Origin of the Super Adventure Box

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

ArenaNet has released a behind-the-scenes video about the most recent Guild Wars 2 content addition, The Super Adventure Box. The video goes into detail about the inspiration behind it and much more. Check it out!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    This April update is one of the single best monthly updates an MMORPG has received since the days of Asherons Call. This provided something unexpected and downright FUN AS HELL.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• TekaelonTekaelon Member UncommonPosts: 604
    I'm going to get some hate for this but hare it goes. Rather than spend time on this it would have been better for them to expand the world and maybe do some class skill changes. I would rather have guild halls that can be upgraded by my guild. I would prefer more from the living story, group missions anyone. There are so many things ANet could be doing, but all we get is arcade games I used to play on my Nintendo. I AM A GUILD WARS2 fan but and a very casual player yet I feel as if the game is drying up. My only progression is toward ascended gear. PvP is just ok, why can't we have GvG?

I played GW1 for 2 years but at this rate have about 2 months left here. Sad
  • bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    @tekaelon: you act as if Anet is only a group of 10 developers. They have over 250 developers currently. They don't have all 250 employees working on one thing. Some are working on balance, some are working on content, some are working on holiday stuff.
  • adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by bookworm438
    @tekaelon: you act as if Anet is only a group of 10 developers. They have over 250 developers currently. They don't have all 250 employees working on one thing. Some are working on balance, some are working on content, some are working on holiday stuff.

yet the game has hardly been enhanced since release, outside of smallish content updates for high levels and seasonal BS.  Featurewise, GW2 is seriously lacking.

• triton54xtriton54x Member UncommonPosts: 39

eveyone month some stupid comeing from anet.

this is y i quit i see no future for gw2

I'm not raging against ANet. IMO GW2 still has a lot going for it that far out weighs other games. I guess for me exploring the crystal desert or going to a new UW/FoW dungeon would have been more immersive. I'm all about the world of Tyria. I can't be the only one that feels this way.
  • QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796
    Originally posted by adam_nox

yet the game has hardly been enhanced since release, outside of smallish content updates for high levels and seasonal BS.  Featurewise, GW2 is seriously lacking.

What? the game has been vastly updated since release. The amount of additions and changes even to core systems have been very big. From guild content, engine fixes, new pve features and many more. How can anybody say the game had smallish content updates. it's plain ignorance.

• thanoskkkthanoskkk Member UncommonPosts: 230

Im having a blast with this super box dungeon, omg its FUNN

He that lives upon Hope dies farting.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    still feel this is the most creative holiday event any MMO has ever done.. well done anet:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Soki123Soki123 Member RarePosts: 2,558
    One of the dumbest things I ve sn added to a MMO. Nothing at all to do with the core game. I just hate these mini games nowadays.
  • BlahTeebBlahTeeb Member UncommonPosts: 624

Right? I don't understand how ANYONE can say the updates were small.

First and foremost, the game is a one time purchase. If you spent any additional cash on anything, it was either purely cosmetic or just plain random tid bits.

Secondly, the majority of the team is probably working on an expansion (or some type of major additional content.) Probably, don't take my word for it. :)

Between having the team do LIVE content, new guild missions, new PvP maps, re-balancing skills, re-balancing events, even adding new features and core mechanics as a whole... I think it's ok if they spare a few developers to make a fun mini-adventure.

Let me know when any other P2P celebrates holidays as big Guild Wars 2. If you didn't play any of the events, they're more than double what we had with WoW, SWtoR, Rift, APB, and likely some other MMO's that I didn't play for the holidays.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    This April update is one of the single best monthly updates an MMORPG has received since the days of Asherons Call. This provided something unexpected and downright FUN AS HELL.

Agreed. The new content every month has been fun, but April's SAB really tops the rest. Kudos to ANet!

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• KanethKaneth Member RarePosts: 2,286

Super Adventure Box is one hell of a great mini game. It's a very nice homage to platform gaming from the earlier years. Additionally, it's a wonderful side attraction for when you're tired of doing whatever it was in the world, just some mindless platforming fun. Everyone has their opinions on it, but fluff content is something that has been seriously lacking in mmos over the years, and SAB is filling the fluff void pretty darn well.

• BetraydBetrayd Member Posts: 4
    The content updates have been pretty significant, they have been consistently adding quality content (except for lost shores one time event)  and its free so i dont see how anyone could be unhappy with what the developers are dishing out.
  • zastrophzastroph Member Posts: 242
    I played games like that when they were new, so nothing new here, not sure why they decided to go backwards with the gfx. Not doing much for me but for those that like it, ENJOY!
    don't want to be counted among the haters. The box is well don
    E and very creative. GW2 is still the best MMO out there.
  • RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Originally posted by adam_nox

*Comes back to earth*

*Just as Rizel thinks it's safe to come back down to earth after already leaving it twice due to other crazy claims*

*Leaves earth for the third time*

*Throws his hands up in the air and says* "Ha hahaha and people wonder why..."

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

Originally posted by zastroph
    I played games like that when they were new, so nothing new here, not sure why they decided to go backwards with the gfx. Not doing much for me but for those that like it, ENJOY!

It's just an April Fools throwback. Plenty games have little easter eggs here and there that represent older games (such as Link in WoW). I don't see why they chose the graphics, but it's better than having to look for in-game eggs on Easter.

• kabitoshinkabitoshin Member UncommonPosts: 854
    @ Soki123 such a conformist you are
    Originally posted by Soki123
    One of the dumbest things I ve sn added to a MMO. Nothing at all to do with the core game. I just hate these mini games nowadays.

Puzzles and side-activities ARE a part of Guild Wars 2's core mechanic.

I know it's shocking, how could a game have combat AND non-combat activities! Who could have thought a game could be created for fun instead of grind...

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

can i get a source for this, cause that sounds more like a high budget game team that is makeing a game rather then one that is mainting one, i dont think even WoW has that many people on its regular team.

dont mean to argue on it but most companies dont have this many people working ona a MMO once its out., especilly NCsoft. they tend to concentrate on the next big game or paid for expansion instead.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• bookworm438bookworm438 Member Posts: 647
    Originally posted by Squeak69

can i get a source for this, cause that sounds more like a high budget game team that is makeing a game rather then one that is mainting one, i dont think even WoW has that many people on its regular team.

dont mean to argue on it but most companies dont have this many people working ona a MMO once its out., especilly NCsoft. they tend to concentrate on the next big game or paid for expansion instead.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ArenaNet

From the official wiki

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

AAA titles could easily have that many people working on it. Not all of them are developers, but a staff of 100+ is rather common, so 250 is very possible after release.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Tekaelon
    I'm going to get some hate for this but hare it goes. Rather than spend time on this it would have been better for them to expand the world and maybe do some class skill changes. I would rather have guild halls that can be upgraded by my guild. I would prefer more from the living story, group missions anyone. There are so many things ANet could be doing, but all we get is arcade games I used to play on my Nintendo. I AM A GUILD WARS2 fan but and a very casual player yet I feel as if the game is drying up. My only progression is toward ascended gear. PvP is just ok, why can't we have GvG?

I played GW1 for 2 years but at this rate have about 2 months left here. Sad

Agreed.

I havn't logged in over a week now and have no plans to do so.  Sorry but I personally see this as fluff when in all actuality GW2 is missing meat.  The time spent developing that could of been spent focusing on Endgame content like:

1. New Dynamic Events
    2. Some love for home instances (player housing)
    3. New and better weapon skill aquistion i.e. soemthing to spend my over 400 skill points on.
    4. New dungeons
    5. a real hard formidable world boss or 12. (somethign that cant be zerged down in 5 mins)
    6. New gear skins and the ability to aquire them without massive gold and grind sinks.
    7. etc etc etc
    instead we get fluff with no actual reward worth having.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/ArenaNet

From the official wiki

Actually, just to emphasize this, most AAA studios have AT LEAST this many people working on it. For comparison, look at Blizzard Entertainment. Blizzard has a reported ~4700 employee count as of 2012. You can even find reports of them laying over more than double the number of employees Anet has during downsizes (they had over 5000 employes at one point).