Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Update: Making a Game Out of the Web

Not up on the KS page just yet but is on the official site.

http://camelotunchained.com/en/making-a-game-out-of-the-web/

Comments

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Corinthian-X

Not up on the KS page just yet but is on the official site.

http://camelotunchained.com/en/making-a-game-out-of-the-web/

Wow this is bigger than we realize:)

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

Reserved.

@Xobnas:  You shouldn't be worried right now.  It's not necessarily cloud computing, but it is an incredible step forward within the industry.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• VanshoodieVanshoodie Member Posts: 34
    i have mixed feelings about this lol. If this is opening up so people can make script macros for combat then I will be hugely let down. 
  • MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Does this mean, in laymens terms, we will see add-ons at a level we've never seen before? If that is the case, I may be worried. Even what he said about the archers worries me....should I be worried?

It means alot of data is going to be aviliable to people to do what they want with as some point. It will allow field genreals to really disect the combat areas and look to see whats going on when. In terms of what it could do for the UI, that really depends on how much of the API they open. This would be something i guess would need alot of testing. I will say im surprised they went with HTML/Javascript over python/lua.

Im interested to hear about the back end data structure. Items and player info is going to need to be much more protected than what they are giving access to but the ability to sniff out those poackets and make speed hacks/ Radar worry me to some extent. Im sure they will get it figured out though.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162
    Whoo boy, should be some forum activities tonight.
  • Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86

We will also get to see out first 3d model today!

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/13861848/camelot-unchained/posts

• Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by MasahikoKobe
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

Does this mean, in laymens terms, we will see add-ons at a level we've never seen before? If that is the case, I may be worried. Even what he said about the archers worries me....should I be worried?

It means alot of data is going to be aviliable to people to do what they want with as some point. It will allow field genreals to really disect the combat areas and look to see whats going on when. In terms of what it could do for the UI, that really depends on how much of the API they open. This would be something i guess would need alot of testing. I will say im surprised they went with HTML/Javascript over python/lua.

Im interested to hear about the back end data structure. Items and player info is going to need to be much more protected than what they are giving access to but the ability to sniff out those poackets and make speed hacks/ Radar worry me to some extent. Im sure they will get it figured out though.

I think his point is; more people know html/Javascript. I'm a graphic designer, not even really web focused, but I feel very comfortable with html/Javascript, but don't have a clue about python/lua. So now I guess I can try making cool mods, and as a designer maybe they will even look good to.

• VanshoodieVanshoodie Member Posts: 34
    I am hoping that since they have talked about pride and balance that they won't release anything that could allow people to make addons that could cause unfair advantages. I hope
  • Father_JackFather_Jack Member Posts: 81
    Originally posted by Vanshoodie
    I am hoping that since they have talked about pride and balance that they won't release anything that could allow people to make addons that could cause unfair advantages. I hope

I am so positive this is the case. I can't see them allowing any API to be availible that would give one user an advantage over another in the game, given thier stance on other issues.

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Our friends over at  City State Entertainment certainly aren't afraid of taking risks. I am impressed with their vision and willingness to try something new and innovative. This could be a game changer as far as UI's are concerned in the mmo industry if they pull this off. 

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

All they are saying is that the UI is made in HTML. A TERRIBLE decision because HTML and javascipt are SLOW, INSECURE and most importantly EXPLOITABLE even for the amateur script kiddie.

Take GW2 auction house. It is complete shit. Slow, unintuitive, buggy, had/has no features you expect: preview of weapons and items is missing, stats of items and weapons are missing. ( unless they patched it, i have not played in a few months. It was not there at the launch)

HTML GUI is the worst idea ever for a game. Good luck with that, one more reason for me to wait until this project is actually released ion 2015.

Originally posted by Oldskoo
    Our friends over at  City State Entertainment certainly aren't afraid of taking risks. I am impressed with their vision and willingness to try something new and innovative. This could be a game changer as far as UI's are concerned in the mmo industry if they pull this off. 

No, GW2 uses it, Darkfall used it, a few others i cant remember. This is nothing new or exceptional. It's just a really bad idea.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by taus01

All they are saying is that the UI is made in HTML. A TERRIBLE decision because HTML and javascipt are SLOW, INSECURE and most importantly EXPLOITABLE even for the amateur script kiddie.

Take GW2 auction house. It is complete shit. Slow, unintuitive, buggy, had/has no features you expect: preview of weapons and items is missing, stats of items and weapons are missing. ( unless they patched it, i have not played in a few months. It was not there at the launch)

HTML GUI is the worst idea ever for a game. Good luck with that, one more reason for me to wait until this project is actually released ion 2015.

No, GW2 uses it, Darkfall used it, a few others i cant remember. This is nothing new or exceptional. It's just a really bad idea.

Good news! theres no auction house to get bogged down by pages SQL querries!

• tleartlear Member Posts: 142

Thing with html/js is that there is a massive variability in the skill level of developers working with it and producing "results" well writen and otimized it can be incredibly fast, written by your typical "jquery" developer it can be a steaming pile of shit.

GW2 auction house for example. There si absolutely no reason why that has to be slow it is just lazy shitty coding

Originally posted by tlear

Thing with html/js is that there is a massive variability in the skill level of developers working with it and producing "results" well writen and otimized it can be incredibly fast, written by your typical "jquery" developer it can be a steaming pile of shit.

GW2 auction house for example. There si absolutely no reason why that has to be slow it is just lazy shitty coding

Oh you want to enlighten us how you know the coding of ArenaNet? You got access to the source, please share.

No, it is a terrible idea. HTML and JS are shit for client server applications that need performance like an MMO. No matter how much you optimize it. The overhead of JS to get just a small amount of data is ridiculous to a dedicated client server protocol or raw socket communication.

Its a bad idea no mater how good you are.

If you think what he described in the video is the same as what we have in GW2 - I flatly disagree. 

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    How about giving us some updates about the things that got us excited about the game in the first place: a 3 realm RvR MMO with no PvE with different races and classes in each realm and progression through RvR? I look forward to the Hib model video later today.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

If you think what he described in the video is the same as what we have in GW2 - I flatly disagree. 

You can do that, it does not change the fact that they both use HTML and Javascript. So silly... its going to be fun see this one fall flat on its ass.

You can do that, it does not change the fact that they both use HTML and Javascript. So silly... its going to be fun see this one fall flat on its ass.

You have a different idea of "fun" than most people I know. 

Originally posted by meddyck
    How about giving us some updates about the things that got us excited about the game in the first place: a 3 realm RvR MMO with no PvE with different races and classes in each realm and progression through RvR? I look forward to the Hib model video later today.

IMO the reason CSE are providing technical release information is due to the amount of people running around claiming CU is nothing more than an idea on paper.

Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

IMO the reason CSE are providing technical release information is due to the amount of people running around claiming CU is nothing more than an idea on paper.

Yeah, plus the campaign lasts for 30 days. There's going to be plenty of updates between now and the end.

[mod edit]

You have a different idea of "fun" than most people I know. 

Does not change the fact that they going to use HTML and bad decisions like that should be laughed right out the door. It is like saying you use Visual Basic to write a 3D game engine. These two things just don't go together.

And Oldskoo, you should just ignore Negative Nancy. He's not here to engage in any actual discussion.

I be thrilled to discuss the pro's and cons of this HTML idea with you. However, If by discussion you mean to hold hands and sing "all hail to CU" then that is not a discussion, you might want to look up the meaning.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

Showing 10,000 instances of an iPad character model running around on a laptop or a video of a dev describing the uber web ui doesn't exactly disprove that.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

And Oldskoo, you should just ignore Negative Nancy. He's not here to engage in any actual discussion.

I agree completely.  There's several posters within the community that I just completely ignore if I see that they have posted.  This one is hit and miss.

EDIT:

@Meddyck:  I agree with you somewhat.  It's early in the game, but CSE certainly needs to release videos on more advanced committment than just a sample of the technical background that will make the game possible.  Luckily, we'll get to see one character model running around today per Mark Jacobs' podcast.  I'm curious if it'll be textured or just completed inside Maya/3ds Max/ZBrush.

• KappenWizKappenWiz Member UncommonPosts: 162

Did anyone read the sidebar:

This is the nitty-gritty stuff, for the potential modders and hackers out there. Here be programmer-speak; you have been warned! Also, please keep in mind that right now this is a general plan rather than a shipping product, and there’s still substantial engineering work to do with this feature on our end. You should expect that things will change as we shake down the implementation. It’s one of the first pieces of infrastructure we’ll be rocking on if we fund, though.

First, don’t expect to make XMLHttpRequests directly from your own JavaScript if you want to run within the game. We plan to implement a lightweight JavaScript library to act as an intermediary. When running standalone on the web, this library will still speak AJAX and WebSockets while providing an OAuth-style token for user authentication. If you’re running on a server, you’ll of course be able to roll your own through those same public APIs in the language of your choice.

On the other hand, when your (or our) code is running in the game and using that library, for performance reasons some calls will be redirected into the client rather than actually making an HTTP request. We’ll encourage — and very likely enforce — that everyone use that library rather than going directly to our server. That will ensure UI mods can be as responsive as possible by using data the client has already cached locally, while still preserving the ability to work standalone. This will be an evolving process of tuning, and we may move the implementation behind a particular query back and forth between the two. However, this is the programming team’s own dogfood, so we promise to make it tasty.

There is a strong possibility that when running in-game, UI mods will be limited so they can’t talk to any servers other than our own (and via our library at that). When code is running in the wild we obviously won’t be able to enforce that limitation, so the token you get will instead provide less access than going through a logged-in and trusted client. Initially, expect a binary system: You’ll either have full access to a character or you’ll have the ability to send data to the outside world, but not both at the same time. We want to make finer-grained controls happen eventually, but “eventually” may not happen in version 1.0 because working through the implications of every possible combination of mix-and-match permissions is not something that can or should be rushed. As a first step the “limited information but with outside access” may become an alternate mode when running in the client.

The “limited” mode will still include nearly all social and economic data, though. What we’re unlikely to provide when code has access to outside servers is realtime, detailed combat data, exact locations, and similar things that pertain to the action immediately occurring in the game world. We want to actively prevent anything resembling a “global shared hivemind” radar/GPS overlay, so expect information with immediate tactical value to be aggregated, summarized, and deliberately lagged when viewed from the outside. There’s a balance there — we do understand that players will talk on IM and forums outside of the game, so we don’t want to provide less information than they already share via good old-fashioned community. However, please bear with us if we initially err on the side of caution and only incrementally open that end of things up.

Finally, the usual sort of constraints about rate limits and throttling by IP and account will be in play here. Don’t destroy the server; it’s where you keep your stuff.

Curious, because the first thing I thought was...HTML and Java? sounds bloated.  But he seems to be on that.

EDIT: Programmers are weird...dogfooding? image

Showing 10,000 instances of an iPad character model running around on a laptop or a video of a dev describing the uber web ui doesn't exactly disprove that.

The video with the 10k characters in it was proof of concept. It was meant to show that this is what  they are focusing on and the architechture he's building can do what they want it to.