Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

If Tabula Rasa was in my top 3 favorite MMOs...would I like this?

TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

This seems pretty similar to Tabula Rasa, judging from videos...and sorta the setting, all being sci-fi. Very few sci-fi landbased PvE (though there is PvP instances or something from what I saw)...MMOs out there. Can probably count them on one hand. Everything else (at least sci-fi wise) is open world deathmatch pvp or space based or both.

I've been waiting for a PvE focused, landbased, sci-fi MMO ever since Tabula Rasa was closed. So with that, would this be a good buy?

Tabula Rasa was in my top 3 favorite MMOs and in my top 10 favorite games.

Really mostly liked TR for the setting (best part), the AI wars going on (massive battles everywhere) and whole the feel of it. Was very different than the normal MMO.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

Comments

• aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Defiance is quite different from TR actually.
  • BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by TheScavenger

This seems pretty similar to Tabula Rasa, judging from videos...and sorta the setting, all being sci-fi. Very few sci-fi landbased PvE (though there is PvP instances or something from what I saw)...MMOs out there. Can probably count them on one hand. Everything else (at least sci-fi wise) is open world deathmatch pvp or space based or both.

I've been waiting for a PvE focused, landbased, sci-fi MMO ever since Tabula Rasa was closed. So with that, would this be a good buy?

Really mostly liked TR for the setting (best part), the AI wars going on (massive battles everywhere) and whole the feel of it. Was very different than the normal MMO.

Cant remember TR much, i played briefly and then it was gone.

What you describe is basically Defiance.  Its a shame you didnt get to try the beta out, it was really easy to get in.

This game is literally a land based PVE TPS game with lots of "event" side missions and some dynamic content (like mutants dropping in via helicopter as you rez NPC's and defend them) as well as the arkfalls which are more like what GW2 does.

If $60 isnt a major deal for you i would give it a try.  Be warned the TPS view and crosshairs, as well as the menu system, take a bit of getting use to.  Also the game is paced with the TV show, so the storyline content is limited right now.  Decent amount to do in game though, and then theres always the PVP which is decent.

Your not going to get that massive battles everywhere feeling with defiance unless your hunting the arkfall events, which right now get pretty crazy with all the people and mobs.  Its more of a "your driving to the storyline waypoint and theres a truck in the road with people then mobs start attacking" you can help for some reward or keep going.  I suggest stopping every time something is happening though, rumor has it that skiping the side stuff leaves you out of storyline fairly quick, i guess untill the next episode at least.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

been watching the videos, think the only differences would be that TR was set in alien landscapes if I recall correctly. It looks like tho that it's similar in every other aspect cept they brought much improved graphics and motion animation to the game. 

Only seen a few videos but it looks like it would be fun and I personally usually avoid mmofps type games entirely.

• fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    Originally posted by itgrowls

been watching the videos, think the only differences would be that TR was set in alien landscapes if I recall correctly. It looks like tho that it's similar in every other aspect cept they brought much improved graphics and motion animation to the game. 

Only seen a few videos but it looks like it would be fun and I personally usually avoid mmofps type games entirely.

well its not a MMOFPS because its not FP so that solves that problem

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959
    Originally posted by itgrowls

The graphics and animations in Tabula Rasa were, ironically, actually better than Defiance. Especially the animations.

Movement and combat in general felt really smooth in Tabula Rasa. Was actually one of it's strong points.

It was just that Richard Garriott had restarted from scratch one and half year before launch... and so they ran out of time to properly flesh out the class progression trees and polish out the higher level content. :-(

It was a real shame, as the story and lore was very interesting.

Due to the financial dispute and war in court between RG and NCSoft..... the game never really got patched up or any chance.

In the end.... NCSoft just shut it down to close any ties with RG. They didn't want anything to do with him anymore. Which was sadly understandable from their standpoint. /sigh

• dandy230dandy230 Member UncommonPosts: 116

Dunno. I can't really recall too much about TR.

I could list a bunch of negatives or things I'd wish they did different, but the bottom line is, it's a good game. More so if you go into it looking for an online game like Torchlight etc. instead of a WoW type experience.

Kind of makes me think it's a mix of freedom fighters and borderlands. Really, there's a bunch of threads about the pros and cons and I don't know what to add to them, just take a look at the videos and see if it looks interesting. For me, it was a good buy.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

I never tried TR.

But Defiance feels like Borderlands in a open world.

I really like this game. It feels new and fresh to the genre.

• TheScavengerTheScavenger Member EpicPosts: 3,321

I'm still in the first area you go to. See a lot of people with vehicles, which is cool. Got one myself.

I can't really comment on anything, since I haven't played that long. But the setting itself actually reminds me more of Auto Assault than anything. I did an ark event that came up, which was fun. Tons of people all doing stuff...pretty much like how rifts work in Rift really.

But game really gives off an Auto Assault atmosphere, which still remains my #1 favorite MMO. I think partly because of all the driving too, even though Defiance and AA are really different...the atmosphere/setting gives off that Auto Assault vibe...at least for me.

My Skyrim, Fallout 4, Starbound and WoW + other game mods at MODDB: 

https://www.moddb.com/mods/skyrim-anime-overhaul

• ToxiliumToxilium Member UncommonPosts: 905
    Never met someone since the game's closing who loved TR as much as I did. I still own the Collector's box and have the poster framed in my old room at my folk's place. I'm interested in getting Defiance too; for those who've played it, how does it compare to Firefall? Is the DDE worth the extra money?