Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[General Article] Defiance: Review In Progress #1

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

As the new kid on the block, Trion's Defiance brings a lot of promise to the table for the MMOFPS genre. Over the next few weeks, we'll be looking at some of the game features as we prepare for the official MMORPG.com review. Check out today's look at Defiance and then leave your thoughts in the comments.

Let’s start with the part that’s probably most important: Defiance is fun. I may worry it’s not quite enough MMO for most MMO veterans, and not enough of a shooter for your hardcore fans of that genre, but aside from its identity crisis Defiance remains a fun game with a lot of kinks to iron out.  It’s a diamond in the rough, if there ever was one.  I like me a good shooter, as bad as I might be on the competitive side.  As single-player experiences, they’re often finite in their enjoyment.  As an MMO player, I’ve always wanted a persistent online world in which to get my itchy trigger-finger scratched. And since I’m pretty much terrible at Planetside and its sequel, there’s always been a longing for a game whose primary focus is PvE and Co-Op... Defiance fits this bill nicely. 

Read more of Bill Murphy's Defiance Review In Progress #1.

Your EGO is more helpful than any person you'll run into in the game.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Its fun but on a ps3 48 vs 48 pvp and 300 people pve fighting an arkfall is an absolute mess. Its very chaotic which I do enjoy but performance wise its a mess. Day 2 seemed to bring on many many new players and the ps3 servers are overloaded.
    Its still fun and very chaotic. The performance issue in pvp is unacceptable pve gets away with a bit more so long as you dont die but bith can be fixed and hopefully soon they will be.
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956

haha been too busy to be reading this website lately- having a blast ingame!

my thoughts?- great  Borderlanish game. hope the pve story thicvkens when tv show begins, a hint- do the tv series missions about 8 of them- the reward at the end is badass!

this is the first time ive ever started playing with mods(crafting)  and resourcing in any mmo. you need to to beef up your weapon of choice!=smart move Trion!

Rifts have found their porpuse  in a game= Ark  falls!

will be playing this game for a while!

• CryrothCryroth Member UncommonPosts: 51
    im having though of fun.True there is issues here and there but nothing groundbreaking and something trion will fix this game faster than anything else out right now
  • gellandgelland Member UncommonPosts: 3
    I'm still on the fench. Graphics are nice but gameplay feels a bit shallow and simple. I can't see myself playing this game for months.
    I have to second your increase number of spawns in a mob idea, I know yesterday I was killing creatures left and right and kept saying to myself "wtf is anyone else of the 300 or so people in the vicinity even shooting this damn thing"
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

It lacks size and depth which is understandable for a console port.

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by gelland
    I'm still on the fench. Graphics are nice but gameplay feels a bit shallow and simple. I can't see myself playing this game for months.

I think the gameplay is the best part of Defiance.

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I'm enjoying it so far. Taking my time and not just following the main storyline. Working on those persuits earns a lot of EGO points, so well worth a look. It's F2 to open the Goals page if you don't know.

I like the idea for the arkfall spawns. Less health on the bugs but spawn a lot more of them. Can't beat a bit of chaos. You should suggest it to Trion and see if they're open to the idea. I think it's a great one.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

I wish i could enjoy this game like others but because of the short sightedness of the devs, they thouhg that releasing a game that is 10-15 gigs digitally would be fine without the ability to resume after a disconnect or pause.

I have effectively wasted 100's in gigs of metered bandwidth in attempting to DL the client.

Lolipops !

• Overfiend138Overfiend138 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    It takes a bit to find your way around the UI on PC but once you are comfortable with it the game is quite fun. It has its draw backs such as lack of a bank and things like dying repetatively with no penalty (I didn't feel right just respawning over and over again with no gear breaking etc) but the game play and content are pretty decent. I also keep forgetting I have to play it like a shooter instead of an MMO (hence the repetative dying). 
  • darqartdarqart Member Posts: 5
    I decided to wait for a price drop before buying the game. I have to be frugal on what i buy, game wise and i chose to buy the tomb raider reboot. I played the defiance alpha and while i had fun i also began to see that the game, in its current state, is very limited. I am sure that in time the game will improve, but i have doubts about the games longevity. I did not want to invest the time and money on a game that seemed to lose appeal to me so quickly. I hope both the show and the game succeed. its nice to see so many thumbs up comments. as for me i had to decline to play it at this time.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    Really enjoying it so far.  Agree with all the issues as well as not being sure how long the fun will last.  Definitely think it was worth the $60 purchase though.

Steam: Neph

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

This was actually quite a good read and one that hasn't printed "hype!!" allover. Looks like the many critics about Bill giving out free highscores hit a nerve, and that is a good thing.

I absolutely agree on the lack of non-combat, missing crafting part. With a good crafting system, the potential of the game would shoot through the roof.

Imagine one can build own vehicles, attach weapons to them, build roadblocks, jetpacs, sentry guns or even guild fortresses that eventually get attacked by raiders. Pair that with Rift's housing's system of object placement and you could build some wicked installations.

Why isnt he total lack of weather or any other ambiente mentioned? Like ie. rain could add an insane amount of immersion to the overall setting. No banks. Poor audio lacking some punch, mainly the weapons. Lack of a good AI.

I'm looking forward to part 2.

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    All I gotta say, and all that really matters to me, is this game is so much fun.  I'm not one who cares about graphics, sounds, rping (unless i'm feeling like it), or anything else that people review games by.  Fun is number one in my book, and this game right now is the most fun I'm having.  It has it's problems, but like Bill said, "these can all be fixed".  The Arkfalls are simply awesome.  The chaos that insues is something I haven't seen since my first Invasion in Rift.  Everyone seems to drop everything they're doing and run to it, like moths to a flame.

What makes me laugh about this game is I'm absolutely horrible at shooter games, but this game is still fun.  I've only ever been good at in shooters are big machine guns with lots of ammo and flying helicopters (bf3), and this game has one of those but it's fun ;)
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Its fun but on a ps3 48 vs 48 pvp and 300 people pve fighting an arkfall is an absolute mess. Its very chaotic which I do enjoy but performance wise its a mess. Day 2 seemed to bring on many many new players and the ps3 servers are overloaded.
    Its still fun and very chaotic. The performance issue in pvp is unacceptable pve gets away with a bit more so long as you dont die but bith can be fixed and hopefully soon they will be.

Gee what a shame, I had roughly, 80 people on screen last night in the middle of a super chaotic event, cars, people monsters zerging everwhere and I was still pulling a solid 60 plus FPS on my, I admit rather beefy PC.  But my point is dont expect to play a game like this on your toy console and get the console single player button mashing performance your used to from the comfort of your sofa.   Suck it up and buy a PC or pop in the lastest console shooter disc and stop complaining.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

Fair right up by Bill there.

I'm having fun, but without more depth and features that we expect in an MMO, it will grow old sharply, just as PS2 did to me with it just being a shooter.

• OcenicaOcenica Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by Nephaerius
    Really enjoying it so far.  Agree with all the issues as well as not being sure how long the fun will last.  Definitely think it was worth the $60 purchase though.

That's really all that matters when it comes down to it.  I agree with you. 

Originally posted by snapfusion

Originally posted by KingofHartz

Gee what a shame, I had roughly, 80 people on screen last night in the middle of a super chaotic event, cars, people monsters zerging everwhere and I was still pulling a solid 60 plus FPS on my, I admit rather beefy PC.  But my point is dont expect to play a game like this on your toy console and get the console single player button mashing performance your used to from the comfort of your sofa.   Suck it up and buy a PC or pop in the lastest console shooter disc and stop complaining.

***warning fat agression overload***
    Chill dude I wasnt complaining just stating what is. Im not saying change the game for pc I would expect pc to be able to handle 10 times what consoles can. There are no games out worth buying a pc for right now. Buying a pc is a bad investment considdring the poor quality of games and the fast changing pace of technology.

For ps3 defiance just needs to scale it back a bit.
  • SolyadSolyad Member Posts: 2
    Thoroughly enjoying the game, but it does need some tweaking.  Should be interesting to see how the show content alters/supplements the in-game experience.  Trion updates and moves content VERY fast so I'm expecting updates and fixes to come out fairly quickly.  Considering there is no sub, I'm more than willing to wait for a couple months to see how it all works out.  Definitely fun right out of the box though.
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073

"Editor's note: As if reading my mind, the first state of the game addresses much of this."   

And this is exactly why game review sites shouldn't be in a hurry to review a game until at least a week after launch. Every single MMO that launches has some bugs and it wrongly damages the game's reputation to be so eager to put out a early review.

As a result, I tend to ignore any review posted less than a week after a game launches due to the site's obviously short-sighted view of a game. 

• BunnykingBunnyking Member UncommonPosts: 126

Totally not worth the box money.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456

I am a fantasy MMO gamer and I have been watching this game closely, mostly because it is Trion.  If they follow the pattern they have set with Rift, I imagine that most of the bugs and things people are asking for will be added rather quickly.  They have one of the fastest development cycles that I have seen in the MMO space.

As for Defiance, I will continue to watch it closely, since I have been playing Rift to death for quite a while and I wouldn't mind a little variety.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    Going to wait for a sale or a trial before I give this one a go. If people are still having fun after 2 months I'll definitely check it out

Joined - July 2004

• knapuknapu Member Posts: 131
    Im enjoying the game i totally suck in the pvp part which gives me allways the toughts if there are aky hqck users there but couldnt tell . In planetside2 there are so many aimbotters hqckers and u can see them right away . In Defiance i didnt saw any obvoius cheaters which is for me 50 % what makes a game good.
    Currently im ego 250 and i start to see that what i did at the beginning of the game im still doingit now nothing have change i hope tthey qdd more pve contentand open world pvp this would rock .All the vehicles from item shop can be bought in game for the sc game vurrency which is awsome only the boost and inventory slots, some outfits are for real money .
    Overall im very happy wihlth this game, but it depends on trion and the content update to see how long i stay.

I am the punishment of God...
    If you had not committed great sins,
    God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you
    — Genghis Khan

• MortisRexMortisRex Member UncommonPosts: 350
    I have to say the review is spot on. I'm having a great time and experiencing something I haven't experienced in years in an mmo, which is death. For me, at least, there is actual difficulty until you figure out the proper loadout, I'm at ego 260 and starting to fool with the miner99 quests and they have not been a walk in the park solo. I think this is definitely worth the $60 I spent