Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With Disney buyiing SW....any chance of resurrection?

12346»

Comments

• grimalgrimal Member UncommonPosts: 2,935

The game will never be resurrected by Disney.  It's a ten year old game that was showing its wear and tear years ago.

Plus, it woule be a whole other story if the game was a screaming success (which it wasn't).

• jacklojacklo Member Posts: 570

Whatever you read from SOE about the reasoning behind the shutdown of SWG is PR management.

They put it down to licensing, but do you really think they would have been allowed to say that LA or EA had practically forced the shutdown?

It was in SWTOR's best interest to shut down SWG. Whether that included financial incentives from LA or EA for SOE to close the game or make it too costly to keep running via increased license fees is anybody's guess. It's just not something you'll ever read about officially.

With hindsight, the train wreck that was SWTOR could have only increased the revenue of SWG.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    I myself am swaying to the most likely not side.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by JYCowboy
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by Muke

[quote]Originally posted by superniceguy
    [b]

Originally posted by Painlezz Nope.   SWG = Failure SWTOR = Failure  

Resurrecting SWG should not cost anything as the game is already written, just needs to be officially put on servers and operated.

dont forget that the code was horrible to work with....40 vs 40 PVP fights would crash an entire server.
    The buggy code was also very bad to build extra content without any problems.

I would like SWG back, but with a decent engine, a good customer service behind it, with SWG sandbox content but better graphics.

SWTOR is not any better with mass PVP fights, SWG > SWTOR in that area, and has not even gone through many code updates. At least SWG has a good reason, and when it launched the code was much better than SWTOR

Woah Woah Woah!  I am all behind ya' in beating the SWG drum and keeping the flame lit for our game to return.  BUT, there is no way SWG code was better than TOR at launch.  I WAS THERE!  This is a matter left to history and altered by them "rose colored glasses" you got on.  Do you not remeber the fear of Patch Day when code would be changed and often fixed one itme while breaking 5-10 other items?  No, SWG got better as time went on but it was bug riddled.  TOR, with its more simpistic approach and code was much smoother at launch.  Was SWG a better game?  I played from start (day 2 because of launch crash) to game close.

Does anyone here realize that now that LucasArts is gone, SOE could profit from sharing SWG code?  I bet those flightless bird guys would love a look. ;)

I agree with you say there but I was meaning when loads of people are one area. I could remeber there being tonnes of fights in Anchorhead in SWG with loads of people, and never noticed any slow down / lag at all.  With SWTOR and less people in one area and there be lag crazy.

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

SWG had a huge flaw that was potentially devastating. Was it a failed game? I believe it was. And that there were more contriuting factors in SoE's decision to overhaul the game to try to save it. In a word (OK 3 words). "The Jedi Grind".

Most of this is my own half baked theory but I believe it to be true. I played SWG through Divided and JTL before I quit, but when I did, the talk on the server by the players was mostly about how far along in the grind to becoming a Jedi you were. I think the devs totally underestimated the playerbase's motivation to undertakie this momumental task. I am willing to bet they assumed only the most driven hardcore players would do it and thus only a few elite would become Jedi. But almost without exception, everyone I knew ingame was rushing to get the pre-reqs done to spawn "The Old Man"

SWG was not a Theme Park and could not support a player shift of this magnatude.

Yeah, you didn't stick around to see where all that went.  The NGE took Jedi and made it a starting profession to partly kill that game culture and give the players what they wanted while taking away the greatest desire of an Alpha Class.  Jedi was so unbalancing and a source of unending Customer Support nightmare, they ended up killing a big portion of the game with the changes.  NGE Jedi is no where near the Alpha Class Jedi.  Folks saw this as a slap in the face to all thier invested game time and quit.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by grimal

The game will never be resurrected by Disney.  It's a ten year old game that was showing its wear and tear years ago.

Plus, it woule be a whole other story if the game was a screaming success (which it wasn't).

It was a game that was released too early, and ahead of its time. The graphics are more realistic than SWTOR. Its bugs and the OTT changes by LA is what put people off, but all MMOs since then have just been devolving ever since, with each MMO having less and less features and worthy of only playing for a few months if that. SWG as it was when closed was far superior than any MMO on the market. No other MMO has had as many features as SWG has had. May and June 2011 showed that people were beginning to forget about the NGE and start to give SWG another chance as the server populations were rising. People are getting fed up of WOW and wow clones, and if SWG was alive now, esepecially if F2P it would be the #1 MMO because it is so unique and there is no other MMO like it.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by grimal

I agree, and I'd rather have a fresh start with SWG 2 and JTL 2, maybe they could reuse some code but should start on their new Forgelight engine which is used in P2 and EQNext.

Disney can't be that stupid and not to license this out to SOE, this game needs to be made.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

It is not in my head, Smed made a clear statement that LA called the shots

It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so.

Why would it be any different for SWTOR? Because you want it to be? Not good enough

EA/BW codes and maintains SWTOR as SOE did for SWG. but LA (and now Disney) are the ones calling the shots on them

I think you have completely lost it. EA owns SWTOR. Only because Disney owns SW IP doesn't mean it tells EA what to do with SWTOR.

I think you so desperately want SWTOR to shut down that you threw all logic out of the window.  SWTOR is a seperate entity and the last decision regarding fate of SWTOR rests with EA.

And i am done with this circle jerking... 10+ pages of same BS over and over again.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser

It is not in my head, Smed made a clear statement that LA called the shots

It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so.

Why would it be any different for SWTOR? Because you want it to be? Not good enough

EA/BW codes and maintains SWTOR as SOE did for SWG. but LA (and now Disney) are the ones calling the shots on them

I think you have completely lost it. EA owns SWTOR. Only because Disney owns SW IP doesn't mean it tells EA what to do with SWTOR.

I think you so desperately want SWTOR to shut down that you threw all logic out of the window.  SWTOR is a seperate entity and the last decision regarding fate of SWTOR rests with EA.

And i am done with this circle jerking... 10+ pages of same BS over and over again.

Nobody except the parties involved and their lawyers know the details of the contract.

It's possible that it is a 2 year renewable contract, which would expire this year, .. or maybe it's a longer contract who knows.

It could be renewed yearly, with an extra year added last December to give F2P a fair shot before canning the project alltogether upon further game failure.

Nevertheless, when SWTOR does announce a global shutdown, it will surprise many people, who keep clinging onto the notion that EA was supposed to own SWTOR.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

It is not in my head, Smed made a clear statement that LA called the shots It was something that SOE could say "yes" to a couple of months after it had to say "no" to pleading Star Wars Galaxies fans. So why did EQMac get saved while SWG was not? It came down to licensing, and with LucasArts calling the shots with SWG, SOE didn't have the flexibility that it did with EQMac. SOE's reticent to shut anything down, Smedley said, although sometimes the higher-ups have to make the call to do so. Why would it be any different for SWTOR? Because you want it to be? Not good enough EA/BW codes and maintains SWTOR as SOE did for SWG. but LA (and now Disney) are the ones calling the shots on them

Not sure about anything superniceguy is saying, but *dramatic pause*

Lucas Arts no longer exists. From here, the question becomes not "can another SWG exist?", but "why would another SWG exist?". If the reasons for why supported making another one, then there's no particular reason that Disney would not license someone to make another one.

Would such a game support the upcoming movies coming out in 2015? No, it's just not possible because there's not enough time. Maybe they could tie in with movies coming out in later years, but not the first one that's coming.

Would such a game be profitable at the level that Disney operates? This is very debatable. By debatable, I mean people can debate both sides of the issue, but the answer isn't going to be had here.

Would such a game reach Disney's target audience? Disney's audience is mostly young kids, so no, not really. SWG was not a kid's game, so if nothing else the content would have to be pretty different to attract a large audience of Disney's fans.

Does Disney want to make an MMO? Maybe. Compared to the single player SW games it doesn't seem like the MMOs really do all that well. It might make a lot more sense to make some Lego SW games instead of making an SWG style MMO. Even a SW themed Lego MMO might make more sense given Disney's primary audience for games.

Anyway, I don't think it's all that likely. Some other IP might come along that has a lot of what makes SWG so great to remember, but I don't think a SW themed game will actually happen. Just my opinion, of course. Only Disney really knows.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by lizardbones

. Some other IP might come along that has a lot of what makes SWG so great to remember, but I don't think a SW themed game will actually happen. Just my opinion, of course. Only Disney really knows.

yeah maybe Disney produces a Jawah Montana sandbox MMO for little 8 year old girls, and a Jonas Brothers presents Star Wars The Next Generation reboot for the 8 year old boys, but that´s probably what is a realistic expectation.

Classic Star Wars is dead, so are the games, it´s all become crap, and it´s all buried now together with LucasArts.

The sad thing is, SWTOR might be the last and best Star Wars franchise game on the market ... for a long time, or forever

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by lizardbones   . Some other IP might come along that has a lot of what makes SWG so great to remember, but I don't think a SW themed game will actually happen. Just my opinion, of course. Only Disney really knows.  
    yeah maybe Disney produces a Jawah Montana sandbox MMO for little 8 year old girls, and a Jonas Brothers presents Star Wars The Next Generation reboot for the 8 year old boys, but that´s probably what is a realistic expectation.

Classic Star Wars is dead, so are the games, it´s all become crap, and it´s all buried now together with LucasArts.

The sad thing is, SWTOR might be the last and best Star Wars franchise game on the market ... for a long time, or forever

I was talking about something that wouldn't be Disney related. Some other unrelated IP.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039
    Originally posted by Karteli

Nobody except the parties involved and their lawyers know the details of the contract.

It's possible that it is a 2 year renewable contract, which would expire this year, .. or maybe it's a longer contract who knows.

It could be renewed yearly, with an extra year added last December to give F2P a fair shot before canning the project alltogether upon further game failure.

Nevertheless, when SWTOR does announce a global shutdown, it will surprise many people, who keep clinging onto the notion that EA was supposed to own SWTOR.

So are you one of the lawyers or something?

EA is not suppossed to own SWTOR because it actually does own SWTOR. And i for one would want SWTOR to stay up for many many years to come just because i get tired of this hate and the fact that it bothers you guys. I don't even play SWTOR anymore but i am glad that a lot of players have a SW mmo to enjoy.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by ktanner3
    Originally posted by ignore_me

Well you can pretend you are not a victim of SWTOR but you are. Even though you get some enjoyment from the title, you are missing out on a lot. Even by playing this game instead of others you are choking off your potential for some better gameplay. I will bear this burden for you and others like you :)

'Bioware hath given us a giant corn-dogging right in the nuts.

With cutscenes, ballet pants for men, and exhaustion zones

But the ghosts and spectres of what was or could have been

speak with voices untethered to the invisible boots on the cartel market.'

-Anonymous Ass on the Internet

Oh for goodness sakes get over yourself. No one that is enjoying TOR needs you to bear any burden for them. They play the game because they want to. They play the game because they enjoy it. If they didn't enjoy the game, they wouldn't be playing it. They aren't missing out on anything.Has it ever occured to you that MAYBE, just maybe, they enjoy what the game offers and couldn't give a damn about sitting in a chair, playing house on Tattoine or any of the other things that TOR doesn't have that has given posters like you heartburn for the last two years?

Here's another radical thought for you... do you know that there was many who actually played SWG and thought it was***gasp*** the most boring piece of crap ever and they would rather watch grass grow than play that game again? I know, how can ANYONE play that great game and not like it? That concept just doesn't compute for you. 

Sorry for coming off rude but arrogant and condenscending posts like yours is why the SWG community has the rep it does. 

If it's a trivial matter then there's no need to respond. I can say 100% that I don't care if anyone enjoyed SWG. It's dead. As for SWTOR, Game sucks, it is what it is.  

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

I think i already know that. My intention is not to change you or anything. Please feel free to act like a victim of Bioware as well as its playerbase who are supporting the game and hurt you in process even though they don't even know about it.

I just do not agree with targetting the playerbase and generalise them. And no SWTOR consumers don't need pass to enjoy utopian experince on forums but that also doesn't mean that it is ok to treat them as some collateral damage.

Well you can pretend you are not a victim of SWTOR but you are. Even though you get some enjoyment from the title, you are missing out on a lot. Even by playing this game instead of others you are choking off your potential for some better gameplay. I will bear this burden for you and others like you :)

'Bioware hath given us a giant corn-dogging right in the nuts.

With cutscenes, ballet pants for men, and exhaustion zones

But the ghosts and spectres of what was or could have been

speak with voices untethered to the invisible boots on the cartel market.'

-Anonymous Ass on the Internet

I survived three tours to Afghanistan...i don't think a peice of software can make me feel like a victim. Like i said earlier i don't care if you hate the game.. but yes for someone like me who comes to forums for discussing MMO, when people start attacking playerbase it just defeats the whole point of discussion regarding pros and cons of the game in question. 

As far as potential of better game play is concerned you are once again assuming that i don't play other MMOS. So nope my ptotential isn't being wasted. I don't even play SWTOR that much. 

Well then there's no victim then because you said so I guess. I used to be the dictator of a third world country, and I can tell you that there are no insignificant injuries. My time as El Presidente has no bearing on this conversation though.

Furthermore, It's a little beyond the point where the erudite audience at MMORPG.com dispassionately discusses the benefts and drawbacks of christmas light strings on speeders.

As for that part in red, I don't play the game at all. You could aspire to that level of greatness too, you're already so close. Just stop logging in, it's very easy.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• crabdogcrabdog Member Posts: 30

I wish people would stop mentioning SWTOR. It was such a misguided concept from the beginning. How incredibly stupid to spend literally millions on voiceovers and stick it on top of a POS game like they did. What an insult to the gaming community. It should be buried and forgotten. I physically cringe every time I think about my experience with that failure (played in final beta-quit at lvl 20 with no intention to ever look at it again).

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by Doogiehowser The ultimate fail is when servers are shut down. SWTOR is still up and running. SWG is not. Rest is matter of opinion and you know what they say about opinions.
    Not necessarily, The Matrix was ultimate fail as servers were dead and reason why it shut down. The same would be for  Vanguard if shuts down instead of go F2P, but SWG (an COH) still had healthy servers when they shut down, and SWG just got shut down to make way for SWTOR, a busniess decision. If they let SWG run alongside SWTOR, and then people did indeed ditch SWG for SWTOR, and then it got shut down because it was totally dead, then it would be the "ultimate fail", but SOE/LA never let it get that far. They just saw them as Star Wars MMOs, and that people playing SWG would just go play SWTOR.

The game could be 'healthy' on life support, but when I came back from time to time after free invites, the servers were barren, player search ended up with 1-2 tops...
    Noone to be seen outside a few hardcore refusing to quit and the bot spammers in some cities.

They should've merged all players on like 1-2 gameservers.

That was my experience as well . I'd get the free invite in my e-mail, log in and within 30-60 minutes log back out.The game ran for nine years and was given more than enough chances to succeed.  If the game was doing good it wouldn't have shut down. Period. Anyone that tries to say differently is just blowing smoke and living in denial. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

SWTOR seems like a weird game now, it's more about dressing up and showing your blingbling you spent cartel$$$$ on than an actual game, even pvp is broken. The fleet is full of people just running around on a floating chair or whatnot, I went all around the galaxy with almost no one to be seen and even went over to Corellia and there was nobody at the dailies area. So is SWTOR a faction fleet hangout game now?

0 of ~500 guild members logged in besides me, 0 of ~50 friends on list logged on either, so what kind of players is SWTOR attracting now then? I didn't recognize a single name.

• NasjaNasja Member Posts: 47

coming back to the OP, any chance of resurrection? Probably not.

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/05/06/ea-disney-exclusive-rights-star-wars/

EA obtains exclusive rights. Goodbye to anything that doesn't attract the "core gaming audience"

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    I am kind of lazy to research Disney but i think since EA bought the licensing rights to future games,Disney's only intention is on the movie side of things.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Wizardry
    I am kind of lazy to research Disney but i think since EA bought the licensing rights to future games,Disney's only intention is on the movie side of things.
    Yeah that kind of irks me, it's guaranteed that SW based games from EA will be garbage.

• KyngBillsKyngBills Member UncommonPosts: 452
    Originally posted by JYCowboy
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

SWG had a huge flaw that was potentially devastating. Was it a failed game? I believe it was. And that there were more contriuting factors in SoE's decision to overhaul the game to try to save it. In a word (OK 3 words). "The Jedi Grind".

Most of this is my own half baked theory but I believe it to be true. I played SWG through Divided and JTL before I quit, but when I did, the talk on the server by the players was mostly about how far along in the grind to becoming a Jedi you were. I think the devs totally underestimated the playerbase's motivation to undertakie this momumental task. I am willing to bet they assumed only the most driven hardcore players would do it and thus only a few elite would become Jedi. But almost without exception, everyone I knew ingame was rushing to get the pre-reqs done to spawn "The Old Man"

SWG was not a Theme Park and could not support a player shift of this magnatude.

Yeah, you didn't stick around to see where all that went.  The NGE took Jedi and made it a starting profession to partly kill that game culture and give the players what they wanted while taking away the greatest desire of an Alpha Class.  Jedi was so unbalancing and a source of unending Customer Support nightmare, they ended up killing a big portion of the game with the changes.  NGE Jedi is no where near the Alpha Class Jedi.  Folks saw this as a slap in the face to all thier invested game time and quit.

Pretty much spot on...

I can say as someone who had 16 of the necessary 24 FS boxes full...I was just a tad bit pissed off at the NGE roll-out...And because I needed to open one more base box there was no way I could complete the Village with only 2 weeks left in the CU...3 months after the NGE launch my Guild of 20-25 VERY active players went to 3-5...And outside of a couple Guildies I never saw most of them again...It was very sad...