Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Good introduction to Guild Wars 2

spades07spades07 Member UncommonPosts: 852

Buy product, wait 45 minutes to install. And then have to download a 4gb patch.

That's such an awful introduction to a new game. Wait 3 hours till you can play it.

On it's box, "Get the game and play. It's that simple!". Yep you just got to wait 3 hours.

But hey lets hope it's a great game.

Comments

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by spades07

That's such an awful introduction to a new game. Wait 3 hours till you can play it.

On it's box, "Get the game and play. It's that simple!". Yep you just got to wait 3 hours.

so pretty much the same with every single MMO out that has been out for a decent amount of time. Lots of patches have happened between when the disc was printed and now. I generally just do the digital download so i end up downloading the entire game for MMOs anyway. Full game is about 16GB anyway so only having to d/l 4gb isn't huge

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Is this your 1st MMO?

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

Rift is 27 GB now - try downlaoding that.

At least there are patches - some games never fix anything.....

• ESSKAESSKA Member UncommonPosts: 107
    They are relentless...
  • observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    Every game requires an install.  A good introduction to PCs? yes.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Pretty much named what happens in a good majority of MMos there. With Digital Downloads, its even less expected for a game to really have additiona 'updated' cds released for the game out there on the market no matter what the game is.
  • kanechartkanechart Member UncommonPosts: 707
    Guild Wars 2 has updates and added content and new features? WTH I did not pay for this!

SNIP

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

Ah yes.  Welcome to mmorpgs OP.  Hope you enjoy them. 

They can be lots of fun, and don't forget to try to join a guild and make some friends.  MMOs are always better that way. 

Sorry you had to wait for it to install and update.  That's just the way it is with these games most of the time.  Hope you enjoy it though now that it's installed. 

• RizelStarRizelStar Member UncommonPosts: 2,773
    Why...

I might get banned for this. - Rizel Star.

I'm not afraid to tell trolls what they [need] to hear, even if that means for me to have an forced absence afterwards.

P2P LOGIC = If it's P2P it means longevity, overall better game, and THE BEST SUPPORT EVER!!!!!(Which has been rinsed and repeated about a thousand times)

Common Sense Logic = P2P logic is no better than F2P Logic.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    For someone who's been around on this site for almost 5 years, I would think you would have installed at least 1 MMO in that time.
  • BlindchanceBlindchance Member UncommonPosts: 1,112
    Someone is really eager to play heh. You should be happy that the developers constantly work on the game and add content. It's no different from any other title, even a single player or multiplayer game.
  • NaqajNaqaj Member UncommonPosts: 1,673

If you guys brush your cynicism aside for a moment, you might have remembered things like WoW's installer, that allows people to jump into the game after just a few minutes, while still downloading the rest of the files in the background.

Or the way GW1 actually streamed map data on demand, which also allowed for very short installation time.

OPs question perfectly viable.

• LydonLydon Member UncommonPosts: 2,938

Seriously? 810 posts in and that comes as a surprise to you? It's no different to any other MMO. And hey...each of those kilobytes contribute towards a less buggy, more content-filled end-product, which only benefits you at the end of the day. I'd be worried if I installed an MMO and months after release I didn't have to download a patch.

• MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Naqaj

If you guys brush your cynicism aside for a moment, you might have remembered things like WoW's installer, that allows people to jump into the game after just a few minutes, while still downloading the rest of the files in the background.

Or the way GW1 actually streamed map data on demand, which also allowed for very short installation time.

I dunno, I think its like asking "Why do I have to build my Gundam model kit to see the completed product?  I want to see it now!"

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

Yeah, that analogy doesn't really work out. Can't play too well with a partially completed gundam model. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

on thing that GW2 (and GW1) do *great* 

-- there are no long downtimes for new patches or 8 hour maintenance days (like WOW)

• kpshyaznkpshyazn Member Posts: 11

Back when I played WoW - I do not remember this feature.  All I know is most game, I've played, you had to wait for downloads.  Even for recent game like SC2...

I do remember patch days in WoW where I couldn't play the game for hours.  I also remember those queues where I couldn't enter the game for hours.  Thankfully, GW2 has overflow and insta-patches.

• SirFubarSirFubar Member Posts: 397

In case you didn't know, it took years for blizzard to release such a tool. And it's probably one of the only MMO's that allows you to play the game without having to complete all the downloads.

So no the OP question isn't perfectly viable, its just your usual rant on something which was in every single MMO.

Originally posted by kpshyazn

Back when I played WoW - I do not remember this feature.  

It was introduced either near the end of WOTLK or with the beginning of Cataclysm, don't remember the exact patch.

It doesn't really matter how many others are or aren't doing it. It's a really neat solution to the problem the OP pointed out, and it's a solution that Arenanet already developed for GW1.

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by kpshyazn

Back when I played WoW - I do not remember this feature.  

It was introduced either near the end of WOTLK or with the beginning of Cataclysm, don't remember the exact patch.

It doesn't really matter how many others are or aren't doing it. It's a really neat solution to the problem the OP pointed out, and it's a solution that Arenanet already developed for GW1.

From what I remember it will still install a substancial amount of information before it let you play it.

And patches are fully installed, not streamed if I'm I remember correctly (GW1 surely is, WoW I dunno).

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• DraftbeerDraftbeer Member UncommonPosts: 517

Start the install before you go to sleep, problem solved. image

Jokes aside... get better internet sir so it wont be 3h to

download a 4 gb patch.

On a side note, I absolutely hated GW1's system where

I had to wait some extra time on every single loading screen

@ 1st playthrough.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Patience is a virtue, but that goes double for anyone who wants to get into an MMO..
  • ichihaifuichihaifu Member UncommonPosts: 280
    Originally posted by Draftbeer

@ 1st playthrough.

Yeah It was absolytely abysmal given how I wasnt playing tha game at its prime time, instead I installed and played it only about 3 years ago first time. I didnt not enjoy having to wait in between every zone instead of letting the game install completely overnight and being able to play the full experience without any long pauses next day.

Also, WoW didnt launch with such tools either, it took them over 5 years (yes you hear right, 5 years) to come up with and develop the said tool. Now lets wait for 5 years and see what arenanet has in store for GW2. 

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by SirFubar

In case you didn't know, it took years for blizzard to release such a tool. And it's probably one of the only MMO's that allows you to play the game without having to complete all the downloads.

So no the OP question isn't perfectly viable, its just your usual rant on something which was in every single MMO.

Actually GW1 was the first very online game I came across which allowed you to play the game without downloading the full game. It was one of their selling points. The client updates on the fly and you don't have to download the entire game before you begin playing. The game would download files as you need them. This is why it is SUPER wierd that GW2 doesn't have this technology. Because GW1 was the first game that came up with it and its sequel doesn't have it. What's even funnier is that most MMOs nowadays allow you to play the game without downloading the full client. ArenaNet have gone from being the pioneer in this area to becoming one of the few who don't have the technology at all! I can't hit play even if there are only 10 files left to be downloaded hehe.

Originally posted by ichihaifu
    Originally posted by Draftbeer

@ 1st playthrough.

Yeah It was absolytely abysmal given how I wasnt playing tha game at its prime time, instead I installed and played it only about 3 years ago first time. I didnt not enjoy having to wait in between every zone instead of letting the game install completely overnight and being able to play the full experience without any long pauses next day.

Also, WoW didnt launch with such tools either, it took them over 5 years (yes you hear right, 5 years) to come up with and develop the said tool. Now lets wait for 5 years and see what arenanet has in store for GW2. 

Actually GW1's system was brilliant not abysmal. It gave you the choice. You could either play it right away without having to download the whole game OR you could force the game download the entire client. Draftbeer, no you don't have to wait extra time on the loading screens if you download everything. And yes ichihaifu, you could have let the game install completely overnight and avoided the long loading screens. But I guess you never figured out how to do it :D

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• VorchVorch Member UncommonPosts: 793

We need Google Fiber!!

"As you read these words, a release is seven days or less away or has just happened within the last seven days— those are now the only two states you’ll find the world of Tyria."...Guild Wars 2