Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Damn roll back ;(

DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
Anyone else noticed it? i lost a lot of good weapons and hours of progression. ;(

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    They are also debating this on the offocial forums

Oh... thanks for the link. I don't go to official forums much.

Thank God i am not alone i had a freak out ;p

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,267

No problem :)

I'm sorry for you US guys that has been affected by it.

Hope none of us will see this in the future.

No problem :)

I'm sorry for you US guys that has been affected by it.

Hope none of us will see this in the future.

I am surprised though that company like Trion doesn't have proper back up infrastructure to deal with sudden server crashes? i don't think it is an official roll back. Servers just crashed, there was no annoucement or anything.

Trion is an experinced company should know better.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,959

So far it seems to be a 2-3 hours rollback!

Absolutely insane and should not happen in a live game!

Server crashes are bound to happen when the game is new and servers being hammered during launch....so that's ok. 

But database rollbacks like these are a really big "NO NO" and can really be a game killer and threaten the future of this game.

I know that this is so much shit for players who wasted time (though I hoped they still had fun playing), but things can happen on a launch.

I would be pissed myself, without a doubt. But shit can happen.

I know that this is so much shit for players who wasted time (though I hoped they still had fun playing), but things can happen on a launch.

No matter what.... database rollbacks of this magnitude should NOT happen in a Live game!

Especially with a Real Money Cash Shop, where people spend "real" cash.

I sincerly hope for TRION they have kept the Cash Shop and Bits records seperate with better procedures in place.

Or all hell will break lose.

• bingbongbrosbingbongbros Member UncommonPosts: 689

Wow, Defiance had a critical error happen? Never would of expected that to happen. /sarcasm

for those affected i feel for you.  that is never a pleasant thing

Playing: Smite, Marvel Heroes
    Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge
    Waiting On: Nothing. Mmorpg's are dead.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

Honestly i never expected Trion hosing this game so much, seems so out of normal for this developer. 

For me this takes 2nd place for worst release on an MMO Anarchy Online still holds #1 slot but this si a very close second. 

Really odd considering how smooth Rift was, did they think a half assed approach was gonna be ok ?

Lolipops !

Originally posted by Voiidiin

Honestly i never expected Trion hosing this game so much, seems so out of normal for this developer. 

For me this takes 2nd place for worst release on an MMO Anarchy Online still holds #1 slot but this si a very close second. 

Really odd considering how smooth Rift was, did they think a half assed approach was gonna be ok ?

the RIft development team is a whole different mess of people from the Defiance team. it is obvious that they are not nearly on the same level

Played: Nexus:Kingdom of the Winds, Everquest, DAoC, Everquest 2, WoW, Matrix Online, Vangaurd, SWG, DDO, EVE, Fallen Earth, LoTRo, CoX, Champions Online, WAR, Darkfall, Mortal Online, Guild Wars, Rift, Tera, Aion, AoC, Gods and Heroes, DCUO, FF14, TSW, SWTOR, GW2, Wildstar, ESO, ArcheAge

Yup here we go! Ingame shop and Bits are affected to by the rollback!  What a joke! /shrug

Lost HOURS of character progression!

The server maintenance rolled back my character. I lost 50 EGO levels, bufftime and lockboxes bought with BITS, rare weapons and tons of salvage and scrip.

My BITs count did not reset, so not only did I lose half a day worth of my time, but also money spent in the ingame shop!

I really like this game, but this is not acceptable without compensation.

now the big question will be will Trion compensate those affected? Or try to just ignore it till it goes away?

Originally posted by bingbongbros
    now the big question will be will Trion compensate those affected? Or try to just ignore it till it goes away?

Seems they can't do anything. Otherwise they wouldn't have brought up the servers as is, with hours of rollback / lost data!

Gonna be fun for all those people who forked out Cash for Bits in the store, bought lock boxes, got great items/outfits and then lost it all.... and to top it off also lost their BIT's bought with "real" cash and now have to go through support (which is already overtaxed as is... with several days response time) to get their money back / BIT's refunded!

What a mess!  Never expected this from TRION tho. Whatever happened to this company that handled RIFT so well. /facepalm

Originally posted by bingbongbros

Wow, Defiance had a critical error happen? Never would of expected that to happen. /sarcasm

for those affected i feel for you.  that is never a pleasant thing

Point is not that critical error happened. Server outages are expected but given the experince TRION alreayd has with RIFT they could atleast make sure that they have better back up to prevent roll backs.

Trion is not some small  rookie indie company you know.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

Originally posted by JeroKane

No matter what.... database rollbacks of this magnitude should NOT happen in a Live game!

Especially with a Real Money Cash Shop, where people spend "real" cash.

I sincerly hope for TRION they have kept the Cash Shop and Bits records seperate with better procedures in place.

Or all hell will break lose.

To be honest I did not think about this real cash.

That is highly unaaceptable.

I would send a ticket to Trion. Otherwise it is stealing.

• TheCrow2kTheCrow2k Member Posts: 953

So far it seems to be a 2-3 hours rollback!Absolutely insane and should not happen in a live game!Server crashes are bound to happen when the game is new and servers being hammered during launch....so that's ok. But database rollbacks like these are a really big "NO NO" and can really be a game killer and threaten the future of this game. 

It is entirely possible that the backend database itself stopped writing for some reason & data was not being recorded for hours before the crash. In which case all the redundancies & backups in the world would have made no difference.

It sucks but these things can & do happen in live environments.

They should cease bits purchasing & go back through pitch histories & fix the balances of all players who spent cash before enabling bits purchasing again.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Anything can happen.

You can trust Trion -or every developer for that matter- to backup EVERY cash shop transaction or game progression on a spare machine, and a 2nd backup, and a 3rd....but nothing prevents Doomsday if those machines all fail.

It can happen, you can never have 100% protection of massive fails, you can only do your best to minimize the risks.

And probably this is one of those very small chances of a massive fail happening.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by TheCrow2k

Server crashes are bound to happen when the game is new and servers being hammered during launch....so that's ok. 

But database rollbacks like these are a really big "NO NO" and can really be a game killer and threaten the future of this game.

It is entirely possible that the backend database itself stopped writing for some reason & data was not being recorded for hours before the crash. In which case all the redundancies & backups in the world would have made no difference. It sucks but these things can & do happen in live environments. They should cease bits purchasing & go back through pitch histories & fix the balances of all players who spent cash before enabling bits purchasing again.

That is impossible in a Live Online game with persistant data, progression, purchases as these. As it would be immediately noticable by players.

It would mean no loot drops. Or loot not appearing in your inventory when looting. Purchases not being processed and showing up. Impossible to take new missions nor completing existing ones.

So no. If the database stops writing, then the whole game basically stops!  It's like losing your connection to the game server without being kicked!

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145
    Complains complains complains, there has not bin a single new mmo in the history of mmo's whitout a rollback in its first weeks. most happen during first week, often also in the later weeks.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Yup here we go! Ingame shop and Bits are affected to by the rollback!  What a joke! /shrug

Lost HOURS of character progression!

The server maintenance rolled back my character. I lost 50 EGO levels, bufftime and lockboxes bought with BITS, rare weapons and tons of salvage and scrip.

My BITs count did not reset, so not only did I lose half a day worth of my time, but also money spent in the ingame shop!

I really like this game, but this is not acceptable without compensation.

If you lost all that from a minor rollback, it isn't worth the time or effort to compensate you because you'll be gone in a month anyway.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

It is entirely possible that the backend database itself stopped writing for some reason & data was not being recorded for hours before the crash. In which case all the redundancies & backups in the world would have made no difference. It sucks but these things can & do happen in live environments. They should cease bits purchasing & go back through pitch histories & fix the balances of all players who spent cash before enabling bits purchasing again.

That is impossible in a Live Online game with persistant data, progression, purchases as these. As it would be immediately noticable by players.

It would mean no loot drops. Or loot not appearing in your inventory when looting. Purchases not being processed and showing up. Impossible to take new missions nor completing existing ones.

So no. If the database stops writing, then the whole game basically stops!  It's like losing your connection to the game server without being kicked!

untrue, databases are far more then jsut stupit data these days.  you often have alot of them running at the same time.

Originally posted by Eladi
    Complains complains complains, there has not bin a single new mmo in the history of mmo's whitout a rollback in its first weeks. most happen during first week, often also in the later weeks.

I would like to know more examples. Since you said every single MMO had roll backs in first week.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Eladi

untrue, databases are far more then jsut stupit data these days.  you often have alot of them running at the same time.

No, as every time you complete an action... being it starting a mission (writing to mission log), completing a mission (writing to mission log), getting a reward (writing to inventory log), getting a loot drop (writing to inventory log), applying EGO skill (writing to character log), etc, etc needs to be written to the database. If not, you won't be able to start a mission, complete a mission, see items missing in your inventory you just got and/or looted, etc, etc.

That all this data might be spread over different databases doesn't matter, as every time you open your character sheet, mission log, inventory, map, etc you will read from either database to load most recent data!

So if the database(s) stop writing due to whatever error, like you are suggesting.... then it's like you are losing connection to the server without actually being disconnected.

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

I would suggest you need to get out more as far as game launches if this is even on your top 10 list.

Yeah anarchy online was bad but certainly on a completely different level than defiance has been.  Anarchy online the game crashed like every 15min, that is when the servers were up.  Granted back in 2001 gamers were less emotional and it wasnt nearly as big of a deal (though it sucked)

Roll backs suck, ive dealt with them on more occasions than i would like to admit.  It is out of place for Trion, however i suspect this game is being used as a test bed for their "one server" technology or whatever.  Lets not forget that the Rift servers did go down on launch as well, and i really cant think of any decently populated launch that didnt have some form of stability issue.

It will get worked out.  Still amazed that people who are sensitive to bad launches and game issues continue to preorder games and participate in launches...seems like such an easy thing to do is just wait two weeks and miss the issues.

Ive only had issues connection on day one (as i did when beta went live), other than that, and a glitched mission....i havent had issues, i havent had time to play 15 hours a day though so i guess once i log off shit hits the fan in defiance, i must be super lucky lol

• BaltoBroBaltoBro Member Posts: 48
    I think I will wait until tomorrow and see if I can finally make it intot he game.