Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: Launch Day Impressions

2»

Comments

• kyssarikyssari Member Posts: 142
    I was hoping it'd come a lot further along from beta than it did but I guess for now I'll just stick to Firefall.
  • sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458
    Originally posted by kyssari
    I was hoping it'd come a lot further along from beta than it did but I guess for now I'll just stick to Firefall.

Firefall was so disapointing, nothing better there I feel.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Defiance is basically Borderlands 2 with all the elements of a MMORPG that weren't present in Borderlands 2.

As suprised I 'm this is a dream game for me (die hard fan of Borderlands).

Not to mention the whole tv-show/mmorpg conjunction that is yet to be seen <3

Well done Trion, well done.

i love BL2.. this game doesn't feel like a borderlands game at all to me...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I've been playing with a group of friends for the last ~5 hours or so, some of them where on earlier than me, but I caught up quick since I had exp boost, and they didn't lol.  It's a blast when you group up.  Solo play is fun, but as I've always said with ANY MMO, group play is a 100x better.
  • YizleYizle Member Posts: 517

Well I  played a bit in beta. Wanted to leave some stuff unseen. Yes it has some rough spots mainly with chat for me and the UI definately needs help... Hotkey to switch loadouts please. Music I do not care for as I usually have it turned down and my own playing so that is not an issue with me. I also agree if you are looking for massive character customization(hair, faces, etc) then you will not like your choices. Again fine with me. I enjoy the gameplay a lot. Got into a group immediately and into a mumble server with them so we rolled around clearing quests and arkfalls and had a lot of fun. Started a guild up and still pushing through.

Does it have bugs sure all MMOs do and I have been in beta and or release on most of them. I have not had any gamestopping/crashing bugs. Noticed mobs would disappear for a second sometimes and then reappear at arkfalls. Besides that been pretty smooth launch except for some high pings at the very begining.

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    edit: derp

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127

The character leveling feels like Borderlands.

The inventory management feels like Borderlands, without a bank system.

Character Customization is about average, though almost strictly limited to head features.

Armor/Clothing is strictly cosmetic.  Which for me feels a little lazy, but I can see reasons for doing it.

PvE Quest progresssion feels very liniar with side quests.  So far though it is weak in that it seems that you can literally only do one quest at a time.  It feels a lot like Borderlands or Dragon Age with MMO level multiplayer.

The UI is awful for an MMO, yet passable for a twitch shooter.

I get the feeling that power-grinders will not care for the game as they will be "done" with it in a week or so.  While those that like to take there time will enjoy the story (assuming it improves past my point of limited play.)

I kind of wish I didn't shell out the $98 dollars I paid Steam for the Game and DLC, because the games bar is set lower than my expectations with most MMO's.  This in my opinion is NOT a $60 dollar game, but they make up for that with no subscription fees, vaguely.  There is a Cash Shop (nerd rage) and purchase DLC's (slightly lesser nerdrage.)

However with the type of game it is, and setting it has, there is a potential for fun.  As I'm already invested, I hope the DLC's are at least comparable to those of Borderlands, making it worth a few play-throughs.

• JimWraithJimWraith Member UncommonPosts: 127
    Also don't bother looking at the forums unless looking for a specific Dev Post.  The trolls and haters are already rampant and making the forums near unreadable.
  • rwyanrwyan Member UncommonPosts: 468

I went ahead an splurged and picked it up for my TPS fix.  It is fun.  However, I don't see myself dedicating a significant amount of my already limited gaming time to this.

I don't see this as much as a MMO as it is an always online co-op game.  In that regard, it works for me.

• adamch29adamch29 Member UncommonPosts: 71
    I guess I've completely bought in to the idea that the TV series will compliment the game and vice versa. Right now we are learning game mechanics, getting snippits of story and characters. I think it will be really cool when the show starts and then I'm playing in a world that is more fully fleshed out, and I'm more emotionally connected to. I think it's clever, interesting and inovative what they are trying. I think everyone should give this game a chance at least until we see how the integration of the show and the game enhances the experience. I think we are just getting a taste right now. That being said, I really love the game all by itself. I'm going to admit something I'm not proud of. I'm terrible at shooters. This game makes me look past that and maybe even will help me be a better shooter player.
  • Yavin_PrimeYavin_Prime Member Posts: 233
    I was thinking of buying this game on Xbox 360 rather than PC but my question is: How do the console versions compare to the PC version in graphics, gameplay, and overall performance?
  • Pantero44Pantero44 Member CommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by Yavin_Prime
    I was thinking of buying this game on Xbox 360 rather than PC but my question is: How do the console versions compare to the PC version in graphics, gameplay, and overall performance?

It looks great on XBox as it does on PC. Granted, depending on the gaming performance of your PC, you'll be able to squeeze out a little better performance and visual than XBox, but that's a given for PC Users. Although, you're really not going to get any different issues by running one over the other.

The only thing, according to the platform you pick, will be in the matter of navigating thru the UI. Even thought it was made for both platforms, using a controller will make things a bit more easier. And for now, CHAT is better spent linking with friends on XBL, or if you're on PC, thru Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Mumble or w/e else!...lol

Originally posted by Pantero44

It looks great on XBox as it does on PC. Granted, depending on the gaming performance of your PC, you'll be able to squeeze out a little better performance and visual than XBox, but that's a given for PC Users. Although, you're really not going to get any different issues by running one over the other.

The only thing, according to the platform you pick, will be in the matter of navigating thru the UI. Even thought it was made for both platforms, using a controller will make things a bit more easier. And for now, CHAT is better spent linking with friends on XBL, or if you're on PC, thru Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Mumble or w/e else!...lol

With the Xbox 360 version is there text chat or is it all voice chat?

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Obviously the game has its problems, but I will give them huge props on two points:

1. The game walks a nice balance of not being too hard, but challenging at the same time.  At least through the storyline.. Granted I'm sure the FPS monkeys probably find the game a piece of cake... But I think it's perfect for the average gamer.. 
    2. I have never seen a game that can handle this many characters and this many special effects on a screen at once, while also being a relatively good looking game.  I've had ark falls where there had to be 50+ people all blowing the hell out of stuff with dozens of bugs flying all over the place and explosions going off everywhere... And the engine chugs along fantastically without a hitch. It's very impressive and gives you a fantastic sense of chaos unleashed.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
     And for now, CHAT is better spent linking with friends on XBL, or if you're on PC, thru Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Mumble or w/e else!...lol

2 cans and string may be better then the chat system. But I definately agree I play on PC and outside voice comms are a necessity unless you want to solo play.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Sad to hear about the customization...

Is the amount of active powers still limited to just one (and the available amount to four with modifiications)?

That was sort of the deal-breaker for me in beta, if not I might buy it.

Yep, still the case. Four powers, but as you progress the loads of different weapons and perks available really change what each person is capable of.  In some later fights in alpha, you have folks with healing guns, folks with portable shield generating guns, and much more that make combat more group-oriented.  I think, with a combination of guns and perks, there's a decent amount of customization in character abilities.  But there are still only four main skills to choose from.

you can have 1 power per loadout. I use the cloak skill with cloak enhancement perks with my Sniper / Shotgun as my main loadout. For my second loadout i use SMG and sawed off shotgun with Decoy skill and Decoy related perks. So having 1 skill at a time is not that bad when you can have 1 per loadout to switch "builds" on the go :)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by GoldenArrow

Defiance is basically Borderlands 2 with all the elements of a MMORPG that weren't present in Borderlands 2.

As suprised I 'm this is a dream game for me (die hard fan of Borderlands).

Not to mention the whole tv-show/mmorpg conjunction that is yet to be seen <3

Well done Trion, well done.

i love BL2.. this game doesn't feel like a borderlands game at all to me...

i havent played BL2 but i played tons of BL1 and it feels just like BL with Third person, more realistic graphics and many people online.

Honestly the game feels like Borderland and Red Faction Guerrilla had a baby that for some reason was born as mmo.

Originally posted by Yizle
     And for now, CHAT is better spent linking with friends on XBL, or if you're on PC, thru Teamspeak, Ventrillo, Mumble or w/e else!...lol

2 cans and string may be better then the chat system. But I definately agree I play on PC and outside voice comms are a necessity unless you want to solo play.

Ok, but I wanted to know if the X360 version has only voice chat or if it has some sort of text chatting too? I'm assuming that it only supports voice chat though.