Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how is everyone liking it so far?

Comments

• AdrenAdren Member UncommonPosts: 69
    I wouldnt say i love it..but i like it..my expectations were low and i figured the game would be short in the beginning since it scales with the tv series..so im taking it slow..not progressing to fast...altho since there is no Endgame...Trion still needs to put up more "End of Episode" content..say i go through ALL of the game and im just waiting for the next episode...maybe put in some pve raids (dont bash me) or something that we can do to get ready for the next episode..which yea u can do pvp and run around looking for arkfalls but it seems like alot of ppl want "endgame" stuff which im guessing is repetitive things to make there character stronger ...repetitive instanced stuff?...which honestly i think arkfalls are prolly the pve thing to do for End of Episode content  but that gets boring because its the same thing over and over again...sigh i think i just explained endgame for every mmo tho lol..i think tho if u come at the game with low expectations..ull be surprised lol
  • tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

thanks for all the thought out posts!

I trust the communities opinion any day over a 'professionals'

so keep em comin.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916

I'm enjoying it more than I thought I would :)

I had minimal beta playtime, so it's all new and shiny. I'm taking my time, because this game has to last me all the way to the Wildstar launch, lol

As usual, there are those that have raced to "endgame" (seen all the current zones and finished the main story questline) and are now complaining that there's nothing to do. I'm doing every single quest, challenge and avtivity that I find as I go. I still have heaps of stuff to look forward to...

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

It's definitely a console port, I was using a m/k, but now i'm using an xbox 360 controller, which feels much more natural. It's fun though and worth 25 quid to me.

Just don't expect what we expect in a true pc title, like the upcoming Darkfall Unholy wars for example, that releases on the 16th April. ;)

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    I'd like to see some streams of the PVP but Twitch is sucking right now.
  • NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I'll probably get flamed for this but  am actually having major Tabula Rasa flashbacks/nostalgia while playing this game.  Didn't play the betas at all and was going to skip this game altogether but found out some friends were getting it so i picked it up.  Went in with 0 expectations and I'm enjoying myself a great deal.  Whether it's an MMO or not it's a fun game and an enjoyable experience thus far.  I think it's a given at this point that I'll get my $60 worth at the least.

Steam: Neph

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441

I can't belive i paid for this game, is complete trash.

The graphic is 2 generations old, the gameplay is bad, the questing terrible, even the ui and controls are horrible. 

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399
    Originally posted by Kehdar

The graphic is 2 generations old, the gameplay is bad, the questing terrible, even the ui and controls are horrible. 

Yeah its a shame they didnt have 3 beta events that werent hard to get into, aside from getting beta access for preordering.

Graphics look good on my system, perhaps you need to upgrade!

• KehdarKehdar Member UncommonPosts: 441
    Originally posted by BrownAle

Yeah its a shame they didnt have 3 beta events that werent hard to get into, aside from getting beta access for preordering.

No, graphics doesn't look good. I have an i7 with a gtx 680 settings are on high.

I didn't enter beta and i didn't preorder so i really don't see your point.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by BrownAle

No, graphics doesn't look good. I have an i7 with a gtx 680 settings are on high.

I didn't enter beta and i didn't preorder so i really don't see your point.

Graphics look fine, but they aren't cutting edge or anything.  I think they look pretty good considering how responsive the game feels, and the number of players that show up doing things in the same area.  But yeah, if you're looking for cutting edge tech, then Defiance isn't it.

You make me like charity

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65

I've been playing this game solid and loving it. i love riding around on my runner, trying to avoid roads and going over mountains to get to missions etc. Love switching between sniper stealthy then full on rambo with automatic rifle. But the most fun is if you get a good infector. I got one that has extra long range and is good for taking out snipers, watching an army of head crabs suicide bomb everywhere is awesome. 

The main annoyance for me is the menu system which is unweildy and seems to take far to many steps to get anything done. The chat system also seems odd. Ive been in battles where theres about 40 people and no one is talking. i asked a question in chat to which no one replied. I have seen some chat going on but it is very rare. 

The MMO features such as crafting and distractions like fishing arent there as well as no bank or no trading system (that ive found anyway). Not sure if any of that stuff is going to be put in anyway, cant quiet work out where they are going with the game. 

I would say though that for pure fun its hard to beat and that's coming from someone who likes TBS, RTS and In depth mmorpg's with crafting and trading (normally avoid shooters). 

• trash656trash656 Member UncommonPosts: 361

Can anyone tell me if there is a way for me to be able to be a medic of some kind in this game, other than just reviving people? Is there any healing character i can build?

• brindleburnbrindleburn Member UncommonPosts: 65
    Originally posted by trash656

Can anyone tell me if there is a way for me to be able to be a medic of some kind in this game, other than just reviving people? Is there any healing character i can build?

There are no set roles but you can play as a healer as there are guns that can do damage to the enemy and if you target an ally they heal them as well as recharging shields. When people run out of ammo they switch to the healing guns for damage as they are enegy based and don't have ammo. 

There may also be some ego traits that support healing, i seem to remember hearing that there was but not sure on that. 

Originally posted by brindleburn

The main annoyance for me is the menu system which is unweildy and seems to take far to many steps to get anything done. The chat system also seems odd. Ive been in battles where theres about 40 people and no one is talking. i asked a question in chat to which no one replied. I have seen some chat going on but it is very rare.

Yeah that would be todays mmo "community" talking,or lack there of.

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    Originally posted by tank017

Well the reasoning behind it in a shooting game is because of the fact that it requires constant movement and mouse aiming. You don't really have time to stop and chat in the middle of avoiding and or shooting enemies.

• hidrohidro Member UncommonPosts: 52

I'm enjoying it so far!

I played the beta on the PC.. but my friends don't have gaming rigs so they all got it on Xbox.

I have to say it's been really fun playing together with friends that I've never played MMO's with..  It's still a little buggy and a bit unstable but nothing that isn't patchable.

Really good move on Trion's part to get this game on consoles, the servers are very crowded and getting (from what I'm gathering in game) a very good reception!

The strongest point to this game is the flat fee of 60$.. there is so much gameplay for the price you pay.. When I need a change of pace, I hop into matchmaking competitive maps that feel like COD or Shadow Wars which feel more like an MMO's PVP.

It's very fun!!

Console Esports?
    www.supergamebowl.com

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120

People still use chat?   I thought everyone moved over to VOIP a long time ago....  

Having fun with the game.  I didnt' really enjoy beta too much but after launch, it seems to have come together pretty nicely.  Looking forward to watching the show and seeing how it ties in with the game.  The actors on the show is composed of all the lost sci-fi actors from previous shows.... should be interesting.  =)

Visually, the graphics are not mind-blowingly amazing but I think the game was well made considering on how smooth the game runs under max settings.  Using a decent rig so Im sure it looks much better on higher end PC's

i7 920, Gigabyte 680 Super OC, 8 Gigs of Ram

Originally posted by skimatix

People still use chat?   I thought everyone moved over to VOIP a long time ago....  

cant talk to a whole zone with voip

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527

Seems like you never run out of stuff to do really been doing everything I come across side missions, main missions, episode missions, etc , minigames. My only complaint is the unexpected downtime when the server goes down and not eta for when it comes back up . Little heads up would go a long way, other than that I'm enjoying the story and lore so far , watched the 15 min preview for the TV show and will be watching that every week so I'd say Defiance has me hooked.

I believe the show is going to do well considering the good word of mouth going around plus the fact that producers from Farscape and Battlestar Galactica helped bring Defiance to life. Plus for those Dexter fans Julie Benz (Rita Morgan) is a cast regular as well .

• traplinextraplinex Member Posts: 14

It's a bit of a mixed bag for me, I can see the potential of this game, and I'm willing to give it a bit of a pass as they probably had a hard launch date to coincide with the tv show. I think after a few solid patches it will be more in line wiht what it should really have launched as.

The gameplay is fun, combat is decent and once you begin finding more varied weapons it's more dynamic.

I'm not too impressed with the arkfalls, they seem pretty flat and just a big chaotic zerg, I'd like to have seen more dynamics as in rift, but I'm sure given trions record it wont take long for them to be more interesting than hellbugs all the time.

The world itself so far is a bit bland, some more terrain variety would help give a sense of progression.

I haven't come across anytihng but mutants and hellbugs, so mob diversity is also bland.

I think it's got a lot of potential, the combat and driving mechanics are solid, the ui is nice to look at and after you get used to it it's not that bad. There's a good foundation here, it wil be interesting to see what trion builds on it.

• gwei1984gwei1984 Member UncommonPosts: 413

My first ~8 hours were great fun. Lots of people running around and a good variety of things to do. Not bad for a shooter ;)

One of the most critizised points would be the UI, and it truly is an abomination of a cheap console UI. Additionally I really hate the jumping animation and the fact that i hate the usual bunny-hopping in pvp doesnt make it better.

Lets see how long it will motivate people. For now i can say, it seems to be worth the entry-price.

Hodor!

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    It's got a few problems and issues but it's pretty fun overall I think.  However, people are making their way through all of the content in a matter of a couple days, which is a big issue.  And it's not just the normal speed levelers, quite a few people that aren't even that hardcore in my clan are done with the main storyline.
  • ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Picked up two copies and played about four hours with my brother. We did quite a few side missions, a few main missions, a few episode missions, as well as participated in a few random events (resucing techs/hostages, defending from mutant attacks, destroying hellbug nests, etc.), and did a major Arkfall. It's not the second coming by any means, nor did I expect it to be, but it's FUN, and that's what counts. Well worth the $48 I spent on it. 

Does it have problems? Absolutely. There's the fairly poor UI, a lack of graphic options (Low, Med, High, and a custom option that reveals nothing). Sometimes you'll see people using vehicles float, or disappear, or some such case, mostly when they ramp and go airborn (or so has been my experience). But I've not encountered anything gamebreaking. 

I haven't tried the PvP out, so I can't comment on that as of yet.

Again, it's not the second coming of christ in an MMOTPS form. It does have some issues. But I had TONS of fun in my four hours played, and I can't wait to log in again. How long the fun will last? Who knows. I imagine it will last quite a while, for me anyways. If you're unsure, there's nothing wrong with waiting for reviews, or a trial to appear, or a sale. I would encourage all people that value their money to do such things before dropping it on something they're unsure of (unless you're just so loaded that it's basically pocket change to you, in that case go nuts I suppose).

• TiconzTiconz Member UncommonPosts: 120

cant talk to a whole zone with voip

I feel like that's the whole immersion to the game.  Just my opinion though but im not a fan of global chat other than to watch people attempt to troll each other.  Its usually just filled with gold spammers and trolls and serious conversation usually gets drowned out by the non serious.  Whenever I feel like grouping up with non guild members, I invite them into whatever VOIP client we are using.  I find it much easier but that's just me.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    Originally posted by DMKano

5000 ego levels

Pve group dungeons

Maxing out every weapon

Maxing out perks

Killing overland roaming bosses

Side missions

Persuits

PvP

The single story line is the smallest portion of the game, those that think that's all there is, well that's their own narrow sighted view.

It took me over 300 hours in beta to get my ego to 1400, and I only maxed one weapon.

Tons of stuff to do if you like the basic shooter gameplay, which I love.

So yeah having a blast so far, and I am loving the freaking engine, so smooth.

Oh goddess help me, I love stuff like this. I just bought the game on impulse, I wanted something diffrent and since it was buy2play I figured why the hell not. I get bored? I play something else and come back to defiance later since it'll always be waiting for me. least till the server closes.

I also view Defiance as a Skyrim/fallout 3 type of game, main story is short, because your not really supposed to rush right thru it, your meant to explore and such, sadly most players are too damn narrowsighted to see this. If its like those 2 games I mentioned the main story is probally the least amount of actual content.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!