Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One giant server? bad idea

So they are going to put everyone on one server. When looking at it from a PVP perspective it causes a lot of problems. First it allows faction favoritism, as soon as one faction controls Cyrodil then everyone could swap to their alt on that faction, boom instant rewards and powerups. Why fight for something when you could just join them? Its going to cause an imbalance. 

Comments

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Originally posted by chumsy84

So they are going to put everyone on one server. When looking at it from a PVP perspective it causes a lot of problems. First it allows faction favoritism, as soon as one faction controls Cyrodil then everyone could swap to their alt on that faction, boom instant rewards and powerups. Why fight for something when you could just join them? Its going to cause an imbalance. 

EVE Online and Star Trek Online both use 1 giant server for their games. Yet neither have the problems you claim a game would have using such a tech.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

Except those games aren't built around three faction PvP.  I don't quite understand how the campaigns will work.  If my faction holds Imperial City, yet in 20 other compaigns, it is another faction, then the work we did goes for nothing?

This whole megaserver deal confuses me.

• HycooHycoo Member UncommonPosts: 217
    It won't be 1 server like in EvE. Look at how The Secret World does it.

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    One of the biggest problems in MMOs is server populations shifting. People quit, change servers and new people join the game but pick only higher populated servers to be able to find teams. Server transfers happen and leave lower populated servers a mess. People get fustrated and have to switch servers or quit only making this a bigger problem. Mega server fixes all that.
  • chumsy84chumsy84 Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by Nanfoodle
    One of the biggest problems in MMOs is server populations shifting. People quit, change servers and new people join the game but pick only higher populated servers to be able to find teams. Server transfers happen and leave lower populated servers a mess. People get fustrated and have to switch servers or quit only making this a bigger problem. Mega server fixes all that.

Most likely you are going to create alts on different servers, esp if you wanna reroll a different faction, why? because do you really want to compete against a faction that your alt is on with your main? its contradicting, esp for a PVP oriented game.

• falconhandfalconhand Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Hycoo
    It won't be 1 server like in EvE. Look at how The Secret World does it.

Do not mention the war euh the secret world. There we did see what happens if one faction is to strong. All did roll a alt of the controlling faction. Funcom did repair it but now you need to have luck to enter. No fast random solo entering etc.

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I can see the good aspects of having the 'megaserver'.

The bad aspects are more down to the game being faction based PvP, you could have 15 servers and have the same problem occur on all of them.  Getting people to stick with a faction (faction pride etc) would help and I could have swore I remembered something being mentioned about them having ideas on how to handle this to prevent massive imbalances.

I have hope the 3 factions would stabalise each other to some degree but equally don't expect it to happen without some external intervention.

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by akiira69

EVE Online and Star Trek Online both use 1 giant server for their games. Yet neither have the problems you claim a game would have using such a tech.

Games set in the vast, easily programmed nothingness of SPACE do not make for useful comparisons in these cases...

Typical MMOs are much more crowded which invalidates your point.

Originally posted by DAS1337

Except those games aren't built around three faction PvP.  I don't quite understand how the campaigns will work.  If my faction holds Imperial City, yet in 20 other compaigns, it is another faction, then the work we did goes for nothing?

EVE Online does have 3 Factions: The AMarr Empire, The Caldari State and The Gallente Federation.

Star Trek Online currently has 2 Factions Klingon Empire and Starfleet with a 3rd Faction The Romulans coming in May of this Year.

It doesnt matter if it doesnt live up to what you want it to be both EVE Online and Star Trek Online have proven that a single server for a MMO does Work. EVE Online has been proving it for 10 Years and Star Trek Online has been proving it for 3 Years.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by Caliburn101

Games set in the vast, easily programmed nothingness of SPACE do not make for useful comparisons in these cases...

Darkfall Online and its Sequel DFUW are also on a Single Server so your point that only SciFi MMO's can do Single Server is also Invalidated.

• AG-VukAG-Vuk Member UncommonPosts: 823
    Bad idea , because this implies that instancing will be the predominate mechanism for player separation. Ugh. 20 instances of the same event , trying to group with friends . An extremely static world.  Been there, done that. No thanks.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

I'm starting to think that yes, it was a mistake.

It makes sense from a technical perspective in that it makes server mergers unnecessary. But the only other game I've ever played that was strucutred as 3-sided PvP where the factions did not mix also fostered a sense of belonging to one side by having the same people who fought in RvR together be the same ones who PvEd together.

This megaserver creates a disconnect between the two. Yes you will be PvEing with people from your own faction, but it can be people who do their RvR in totally different campaigns. That sort of undermines the main reason for having the 3 factions kept separate in my mind.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555

EVE Online does have 3 Factions: The AMarr Empire, The Caldari State and The Gallente Federation.

Star Trek Online currently has 2 Factions Klingon Empire and Starfleet with a 3rd Faction The Romulans coming in May of this Year.

It doesnt matter if it doesnt live up to what you want it to be both EVE Online and Star Trek Online have proven that a single server for a MMO does Work. EVE Online has been proving it for 10 Years and Star Trek Online has been proving it for 3 Years.

Eve actually has 4 factions if you want to split it that way, but the factions are not split in such a way that they are meaningful. Also, if they were, there is a rather clear imnalance for Caldari, with nearly 40% of its total population coming from sector. STO also suffers a similar imbalance with the number of plavers of each faction flip flopping because of how Cryptic has chosen to "balance" them by giving different sides more powerful abilities.

What many people do not seem to understand is that the "megaserver" tech is similar to what Lord British is using for Shroud of the Avatar, grouping those together who answer similarly on their survey, and friends. They has also stated that based on what it is you actually do metric wise will influence what instances you get put in.

• KaosProphetKaosProphet Member Posts: 379

Setting really has very little to do with it.  Land-mass may be a little bit harder to program than "nothingness of Space<ignoring the background eye-candy>," but not by a whole lot.  One could, after all, just resurrect Daggerfall's methodology...  or if not that extreme: I have heard Vanguard has comparable population densities as well.

The difference, really, is in the player-base.  Eve players (mostly) like the effects of having that much distance between the crowded hubs and active hotspots.  But 'typical' (wow-inspired) MMOs cater more to players who won't play without their fast-travel and instant access to everything.  Everything outside the 'active hubs' might as well not exist.

• SentnlSentnl Member Posts: 73
    Originally posted by KaosProphet

Setting really has very little to do with it.  Land-mass may be a little bit harder to program than "nothingness of Space," but not by a whole lot.  One could, after all, just resurrect Daggerfall's methodology...  or if not that extreme: I have heard Vanguard has comparable population densities as well.

The difference, really, is in the player-base.  Eve players (mostly) like the effects of having that much distance between the crowded hubs and active hotspots.  But 'typical' (wow-inspired) MMOs cater more to players who won't play without their fast-travel and instant access to everything.  Everything outside the 'active hubs' might as well not exist.

Yes, because "wow inspired" "fast travel" on gryphons that you went afk aboard (which I believe EQ did long before it, and probably a game long before it too), are so much different than warp queues in eve (provided you're not in lowsec).

Don't be like that man, they're the same thing, don't get all high and mighty because you played eve for 14 days.

I sometimes play under the alias "Exposed". Don't tell anybody.

• QallidexzQallidexz Member Posts: 253

Despite the ignorant post, the title still holds true.... The main problem w/ one mega-server, is you can't have multiple rulesets... I wish you could have a PvE Carebear server like Gaheris, and also, a normal server for the more hardcore players. Lame.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I think it's a great idea.

Too often I was split from friends with various preferrences, PVP Servers, German servers, English Servers, RP Servers and whatnot. I liked it in Champions Online that there is just one server and you could swap the copy of the zone. I am glad TESO does away with servers. Best idea of the project so far!

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

the "megaserver" is nothing like EVE or STO to my knowledge because not every player will be on the same server or "campaign"

also, people cant just log into an alt to reap the benefits of their factions success unless the campaign that alt is assigned to is actually winning.

remember people, there will be multiple versions of cyrodiil, not just one.

your alts will likely be assigned to different campaigns, in fact i am willing to bet they make it impossible to have an alt in the same campaign as another alt, but that is just me speculating.

if they did allow you to have alts in the same campaign that would allow people to spy on the other factions.

i seriously doubt they allow that.

• VassagoMaelVassagoMael Member Posts: 555
    Single server or don't make the game. I am sick of morpgs claiming to be MASSIVEmorpgs.

Free to play = content updates for the cash shop. Buy to play = content updates for the cash shop.
    Subscription = Actual content updates!

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by DAS1337

As it does me but I am willing to give them the benefit of a doubt and see how it works myself.  I've got to think this will work really well since other games use similar tech so lets jsut wait and see.  Especially considering the rest of the game looks to be amazing.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• IshkalIshkal Member UncommonPosts: 304

Mega server is an awsome way to do it......if it's done properly. You'll always have people to play with. All of the factions will be populated. In a well made game the lesser faction can win( IE UO-DaoC-Early Wow had almost no horde on any server yet horde owned world pvp ect ect).  Alot of players still play rgp for some rpg, yes even us pewpew lolzpwnzoxxors, and faction loyalty is usualy where that slight rpg fullfillment comes from.

This is a changefrom the norm that we are use to thats all but that does not mean bad we should just embrass it for what it is, what it could be, and what we'd like it to be... The QQ the hell outta em till they change it if it suckz : )

• azzamasinazzamasin Member UncommonPosts: 3,105
    Originally posted by Qallidexz

Despite the ignorant post, the title still holds true.... The main problem w/ one mega-server, is you can't have multiple rulesets... I wish you could have a PvE Carebear server like Gaheris, and also, a normal server for the more hardcore players. Lame.

Aye this is the only drawback I see but its not as big a deal if the rest of the game delivers.  Especially considering they are planning to provide content for many types of players.  Which is the beauty of Triple-A MMO's.  Indie's jsut dont have that luxury and as such are relegated to niche gameplay.

Sandbox means open world, non-linear gaming PERIOD!

Subscription Gaming, especially MMO gaming is a Cash grab bigger then the most P2W cash shop!

Bring Back Exploration and lengthy progression times. RPG's have always been about the Journey not the destination!!!

• muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585

it's almost exactly like gw2 is set up.

also they've said that your alternate characters won't be assigned to the same pvp campaign.  so they've already tought about that potential problem.  and solved it.

• pokrakpokrak Member UncommonPosts: 111

Why not three big servers? Players should have to play on one realm per server...

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133

Giant servers, which are really just many servers and instances, have some pretty nice advantages. No need to worry about the population dying and needing to transfer off, for one. It dynamically shrinks and grows, adding and removing instances as needed.

Still, the disadvantages are large, too. It is difficult to develop much community or gain a reputation, good or bad, when you are in pool of potentially millions. Single servers let you get to know your fellow players much better as you see them often, not just when you are in instance 786 and they are too.