Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What MMO has the best and worst community?

Comments

• EdgesEdges Member Posts: 3
    I tend to find that most communities are fairly similar to be honest. You'll always have your trolls, you'll always have your game experts and you'll always have haters. I find the more competitive games tend to have more aggressive people on them (shocking, I know) and so I can see why forums like LoL can be seen as some of the worst. 
  • MadDemon64MadDemon64 Member UncommonPosts: 1,102
    Originally posted by Rthuth434
    of the current mmo's out TERA is probably the worst or tied for the worst.

I don't see how it is the worst.  Maybe it is the server I am on or I am on during times when the good members of the community are playing, but I don't see how it is worse than a MOBA's community (or are you talking about how people seem to want to sexualize Ellins?)

Since when is Tuesday a direction?

• VolkonVolkon Member UncommonPosts: 3,748

Best I'd have to also go with GW2. 

Worst... hard to say. I've found good groups in the games I've played and tended to not pay attention to the worst there may have been.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• IkifalesIkifales Member UncommonPosts: 305
    In my opinion SWG was the best by far. LoTRO second.

APB and AoC PvP for worst.

SWTOR, WoW and most other AAA MMOs have some good and some bad, but are not even close to worst or best. They are pretty much average.
  • maccarthur2004maccarthur2004 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Factors that make a mmo community average behavior be better or worse:

1- Community size => The larger the community, the worse.

2- Solo-Friendliness => The more solo-friendly, the worse.

3- OW pvp system => The less free the pvp, the worse.

4- Player strenght or status => The more strong or top positioned is the player, the worse his behavior.

5- Business model => The less expensive is to play, the worse.

The mmo i played with the best community was L2, the worst was WoW.

• MajiinXMajiinX Member CommonPosts: 89
    I must say to my dismay I started playing WoW again and have been having an excellent experience. People are surprisingly helpful and friendly. I've been running allot of random dungeons and have had some great interactions. Granted I'm still only 82 and I'm sure things can change but so far its been good.
  • RudyRaccoonRudyRaccoon Member UncommonPosts: 475

Worst: WoW and LoL, both games have a horrible playerbase.

Best: There sadly isn't one, not one I've ever played or seen.

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

As of right now this very second?

CU

Why? Because it's looking like every random thought becomes a new thread there. "Reserve name?"; "Bow/arrow physics?", "Trees and flowers??" They are making the GW2 fanbois look like casuals...

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93

Best: Tough to say....Rift?

Worst: WOW and SWTOR are bad, but Age of Wushu takes the cake.

• khartokhar3khartokhar3 Member UncommonPosts: 486

i wouldnt choose any community as worst. have played alot of mmos and the communities were all the same. well games with an open world pvp had more aggressive communities but thats kinda understandable since pvp always make ppl to rage..

• cheeseheadscheeseheads Member UncommonPosts: 73

best LOTRO

worst  POE

• dwarfusdwarfus Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by cheeseheads

best LOTRO

worst  POE

wow, that's interesting. I can't believe POE would be worst on what's essentially a solo pve action rpg grinder. why would anyone rage in there?

• ForumPvPForumPvP Member Posts: 871

worst title goes to:

in-game ,global chat etc.. Tera 5 points,WoW 4 points ,LoL 3 points

outside game,forums etc : GW2 20  points,nothing comes even close

overall : WoW  is still is the dirge king.

best: theres no  best.

Let's internet

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Best: Asheron's Call, Anarchy Online

Worst: WoW

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• WaterlilyWaterlily Member UncommonPosts: 3,105

Best: Vanguard, EQ2, FFXI, FFXIV

Worst: GW2, Tera, LoL, Vindictus

• Slappy1Slappy1 Member Posts: 458

My experience's,

Best = Lotro and UO

Worst = WoW and Tera

Some day I'm going to put a sword through your eye and out the back of your skull!

Arya Stark

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    A Tale of Two Cities?
  • OFxLedzeplinOFxLedzeplin Member CommonPosts: 7

Kings Isle Entertainment has a great community.

Wizards (WIzard 101) or Pirates (Pirate 101) all tend to be quite helpful, both in game, and on their various forum/fansites.

They argue, they debate, but when it comes down to it, they stick together...

I had to laugh at a user that said Worst: any kid friendly game  Best: any not kid friendly game

50 years old, been playing online computer games for over 20 years (before the internet). Adults create the worst communities overall, they are all set in their ways, and seldom get along.  They let politics, religiion, and other influences twist their minds.  I left the bigger known MMOs for a kid friendly mmo BECAUSE of whiney, stubborn, idiotic adult gamers who dont have a clue.

• RoguewizRoguewiz Member UncommonPosts: 711

The bigger the game, the worse the community is, IMO.  Not because the game itself is bad or the people it attracts is bad, but the liklihood of meeting that "jerk" increases tenfold.  WoW, right now, is the worst.  I blame it on the cross server random dungeons/raids.  With any game, you're bound to encounter the "jerk" that acts like one since you're an anoymous collection of pixels on a screen.  In most cases, the fact that you might be ostrasized on the server will tone people down.  This isn't the case with cross server stuff.  You're unlikely to group with the same people again, so you can act the way you want.

Best:  LOL, EQ and EQ2, DDO (Don't laugh about LOL.  Sure, I encounter the jerk, but for the most part out of the 9 people I random into, 6 of them are decent individuals). The EQs are by far the best, even with the F2P aspect.

Worst:  SWTOR, WOW

Raquelis in various games
    Played: Everything
    Playing: Nioh 2, Civ6
    Wants: The World
    Anticipating: Everquest Next Crowfall, Pantheon, Elden Ring

Tank - Healer - Support: The REAL Trinity
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by Roguewiz

The bigger the game, the worse the community is, IMO.  Not because the game itself is bad or the people it attracts is bad, but the liklihood of meeting that "jerk" increases tenfold.  

Not true. Many games that have small population that have bad communities (such as APB, MO) show correlation against this trend.

It seems there are more correlation between more hardcore pvp focused game that concern less with teamwork but more with competition and greed tend to have less ideal community.

If the said games actually allow for players to identify with thugs/criminal factions the community seems to be even worse.

• JupstoJupsto Member UncommonPosts: 2,075

best: pokemmo / guild wars 1

worst: darkfall (its a love hate thing tho)

My blog: image

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Originally posted by MajiinX

I've been playing MMOs for over 10 years and have seen some of the best and worst MMO communitys have to offer, I'm curious what peoples opinions and experiences are in there games.

For worst I'm gonna have to go with Star Wars the Old Republic. Never have I seen so much negativity, eliteism and complaining. Between the forums and in the game itself there are so many nasty and arrogant players that always respond with snobby backhanded comments or outright insults to questions, anytime new features are implimented good or bad the forums are flooded with whining and complaining its really really bad and I know the game has many issues but a big issue with this game is the player base and their attitude. 

The best community I've experienced was EQ2 the player base is generally very friendly and helpful many guilds are eager and recruit and help new players. Getting groups was always easy and there is so much group content and with the AA system many people do low level content to min/max their characters.

Honestly..community nowadays is like a mirror. You get from it what you project into it. Also it's kinda ironic that people talk about this generation of mmo players wanting things handed to them, while at the same time expecting utopian-like communities to just be there ready to accept them with open arms with doves and rainbows n sh*t.. Like it's something you can stumble upon. Or get lucky finding.

Well maybe if 90% of the players on these forums wouldn't enter these games with chips the size of oceanliners on their shoulders or their irritation meters on full sensitivity, they would be able to build the community they are looking for. Either that or find a mmo they enjoy enough to overlook what would otherwise be deemed a negative community.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882

Best: AC

Worst: WoW

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com

• GenadiGenadi Member UncommonPosts: 110

Best: DAOC

Worst: Mortal Online

• HelleriHelleri Member UncommonPosts: 930

I hesitate to include a social MMO in the mix and especially since the one i have in mind has lost a lot in the way of numbers to newer tech. But Active Worlds has the best community i have ever seen. They are extreemly welcoming and very helpful almost all of the time, many of them have been friends on their for over a decade and though their comunity is small now it is tight and they act more like family then 3d internet friends. People get builds for their birthdays and important events in life and people goes as far as to cry and organize memorial services and memorial builds to those that passed away.

I would say on the oposite end of the spectrum...world of tanks gets down right wicked in the way they treat each other. They will rip people apart for simply not knowing enough, or ignore and talk over people all together. but I credit it to how competative the environment is. Again though it is on the outskirts of being an MMO.

One of the many reasons RuneScape is my game of choice is the community. You meet all sorts on there sure, but in general...

The runescape team are very in touch with their community. They have garunteed content polls and discussions. They have a division dedicated to scouring the forums to get player feedback, Each Mod has their own chat channle in game you can join and talk in. They are themselves active players. The heads of their various divisions on the runescape team put out weekly Behind the sceeenes and bonus content videos. They also host major holiday events. I feel more then any other game I have played that the runescape team is part of the community they are developing for.

And the community itself has friend chats and clan chats that are very helpful, with very active forums, and usually very willing to just chat people in-game all over the place. This has all gotten far better since jagex stepped up the war on botting.