Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lucas Arts Shut Down

Comments

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686
    Originally posted by tkreep
    Originally posted by rojo6934

DIsney have to license the Star Wars IP to Square Enix. Its time for a change. Star Wars set in Japan. Jedi Ninjas vs Sith samurai.

Darth Vadar vs Sephiroth

Rankor vs Godzilla

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

DIsney have to license the Star Wars IP to Square Enix. Its time for a change. Star Wars set in Japan. Jedi Ninjas vs Sith samurai.

Darth Vadar vs Sephiroth

Rankor vs Godzilla

Godzilla would just eat that rancor as the rancor is about the size of his foot lol

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    I read an article and disney stated that the possibility of them licensing out the starwars IP is next to 0%
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by NL-Rikkert

Please do correct me if I'm mistaken here...

But didn't Disney just buy this for $4.04 BILLION ? (yes along side Lucas Films... but still !!!)

Who the hell wastes that much money on something they throw in the bin?

WTF Disney go feed starving kids or something useful?!

Nah, you've got it wrong.

What they bought (read: what they really wanted)  was the rights and everything that came with the I.P.

So they own the whole shebang.

Then they look at lucas arts and see that they are paying x amount of employees, with all the overhead that brings, and paying to keep that division afloat. They then come to the conclusion that they can still get video games made if they license the property and probably have less risk involved since whoever is licensing "Star Wars" has to pay them their fees and then has to hope they can make a good game.

In this way they don't have to pay salaries and fringe, don't have to pay rents, insurance, and whatever else you can think of, have less risk for their investment and get more star wars games made. Hopefully good games.

This is not to say that this isn't a damn shame. but they basically looked at what was going to make them more money in the long run with less risk.

And there it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I never even heard about 1313.. was it in mid-development?
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Hopefully it opens up the Star Wars IP to more developers. Since they won't be protecting an in-house development team anymore.
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    WHo cares for Lucasarts when disney got a gold mine with SW movies in future. I hope they focus where it matters and forget about SW MMOS and other crap.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Darth-Batman
    I read an article and disney stated that the possibility of them licensing out the starwars IP is next to 0%

I think thats licensing Star Wars 1313.

http://kotaku.com/disney-shuts-down-lucasarts-468473749

The whole reason they did this was to license their property.

“After evaluating our position in the games market, we’ve decided to shift LucasArts from an internal development to a licensing model, minimizing the company’s risk while achieving a broader portfolio of quality Star Wars games,” read a statement issued by Lucasfilm. “As a result of this change, we’ve had layoffs across the organization.”

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • MeleconMelecon Member UncommonPosts: 74

Nothing that was said in that article has me worried. If you look at what Lucas Arts was doing in the SW IP and other IPs was licensing them out to other developers and has been doing so for awhile now. The model that Disney has put forth is the exact same that was happening, so why keep redundant employees. Yes sure it is a kick in the pants and not something I like to see but it make business sense to eliminate the fat were you can.

Now where does this leave us; as someone already mentioned on the first page that R.I.P to the list of games LA produced and made from the ground up. This leaves them now open to have other developers to make sequels that LA was not willing to do, and not willing to let someone else have their hand in it.  This is one of the biggest reasons Xwing Vs Tie Fighter or any of it iterations has never seen the light of day again as LA didn't want to hand it off. SWG had the space concept in game prior to release but needed to get the go a head from LA in order to get that and it wasn't until how popular that game was in its initial run that LA was "reluctant" to give them a go ahead to do it as it was to close to how Xwing vs Tie Fighter was.

Lucas Arts has been its own worst enemy for a while now in the game department with some of their ideals.

Now I do have to mention the other side of what can happen in just licensing the IP is you get games like forces unleashed 2 that was hurried and not up to standards as the production company cut corners to get it out.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615

Darth Vadar vs Sephiroth

Darth Vader would get owned. How do you fight someone that can destroy an entire building? Hell even Cloud was hard pressed to kil him.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• ElRenmazuoElRenmazuo Member RarePosts: 5,361
    Originally posted by akiira69

Darth Vadar vs Sephiroth

Darth Vader would get owned. How do you fight someone that can destroy an entire building? Hell even Cloud was hard pressed to kil him.

And cast a magic spell that destroys our entire solar system lol

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183
    Originally posted by gaou

But didn't Disney just buy this for $4.04 BILLION ? (yes along side Lucas Films... but still !!!)

They are making the new star wars movie you know, they are shutting down lucas not star wars.

I am well aware they are, thats why I added ('yes along side Lucas Films')

But still $4.04 billion to be allowed to make a few movies? 

I'd say thats stoopid..

They count on billions of dollars of profit from movies...  games are nothing comparing to this and it takes longer to make then movies. I think we will see much less SW games in the future... which is bad news for us, but good news for SWTOR:)

Edit. And considering that most of gaming companies will stay away from SW IP (it brings bad luck LOL) ...

dont forget the all the money from merchandising from toys and what not.  cant forget about merchandising  image

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731
    Originally posted by akiira69

Darth Vadar vs Sephiroth

And cast a magic spell that destroys our entire solar system lol

Darth Caedus vs Cloud ( emo vs emo <3 ).

• JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    Originally posted by FromHell

yeah, they like to shut down the great games and game studios and keep the turds alive.

Good bye Star Wars Galaxies and 1313, nice knowing you.

Also RIP :

Maniac Mansion

Zak McKraken

X-Wing vs. Tie Fighter

Indiana Jones and the Fate of Atlantis

Monkey Island

look at the bright side, we still have The Old Republic and Cartel Packs

for your info, Star Wars Galaxies has been dead for number of years now

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Originally posted by jdlamson75
    Disney got rid of LucasArts in name only.  Rumor has it Disney has actually been developing a Mortal Kombat-like fighting game, pitting Disney characters like Mickey, Donald, and Goofy against Star Wars characters like Yoda, Jar Jar Binks, and Jabba the Hutt.  If this rumor is true, this should be interesting.  Of course, the rumor was just pulled from my butt, so it probably won't be very interesting at all.

that sounds like a kinect game.

ew lol

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

They are making the new star wars movie you know, they are shutting down lucas not star wars.

I am well aware they are, thats why I added ('yes along side Lucas Films')

But still $4.04 billion to be allowed to make a few movies? 

I'd say thats stoopid..

They count on billions of dollars of profit from movies...  games are nothing comparing to this and it takes longer to make then movies. I think we will see much less SW games in the future... which is bad news for us, but good news for SWTOR:)

bad news for SWTOR would be good news for many who don't see any future in this "story driven" clunky themepark MMO .

Maybe Disney should buy EA and shut down some studios with less talent than LucasArts had. What a shame.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Karteli

Shutting down LucasArts was pointless.  So many better outcomes could have risen from all this.  Shutting them down, hmmm .. Is this what Disney is about then, acquiring then shutting down .. makes me wonder, should make you wonder too.

Disney sounds a lot like EA.  Oh snap, did I just say that?

Less competition.

How is that good?

Star Wars should go to the most qualified, though a pool of contenders.  Having less competition isn't good for the end user (us, ie me and you).

I did not say it's good :)

Well you didn't say it's bad either..

just sayin.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by BradD77

yeah, they like to shut down the great games and game studios and keep the turds alive.

No kidding.It's too late to say goodbye after the corpse has already been buried and worms picking at it. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

Shutting down LucasArts was pointless.  So many better outcomes could have risen from all this.  Shutting them down, hmmm .. Is this what Disney is about then, acquiring then shutting down .. makes me wonder, should make you wonder too.

Disney sounds a lot like EA.  Oh snap, did I just say that?

Less competition.

How is that good?

Star Wars should go to the most qualified, though a pool of contenders.  Having less competition isn't good for the end user (us, ie me and you).

I did not say it's good :)

Well you didn't say it's bad either..

just sayin.

LOL :)

Monopoly is always bad. In everything. Now better????

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• NC-JohnNC-John Member Posts: 113
    Originally posted by ragz45
    Lucus Arts has never made an MMO.  They have always sold the rights to a 3rd party studio to make star wars mmo's.  Nothing about the article you linked says a thing about there never being another star wars mmo.

Until Old republic looses it's contract no other MMO based on star wars can be made. That will be in about 9 years.

"Not even a cray super computer can make this game run well. Thats what happens when you code an MMO in pascal. " - miglor

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by ktanner3

No kidding.It's too late to say goodbye after the corpse has already been buried and worms picking at it. 

I wonder how this "buried corpse" SWG still eats SWTOR for breakfast.

Maybe SWG has an immortal soul and will always live on, unlike dozens of run off the mill wowclones

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by ktanner3

I wonder how this "buried corpse" SWG still eats SWTOR for breakfast.

Because you're still dreaming. 

Maybe SWG has an immortal soul and will always live on, unlike dozens of run off the mill wowclones

Yes, it will be like the fanbase of the grateful dead. You'll still see a dead head every now and then but the rest of us who aren't stoned realize that it hasn't been relevant in years. 

• LogicLesterLogicLester Member UncommonPosts: 68

That's a shame, back in the day Lucasarts made some great games.

The only bearing I could see this having on SWTOR though is that it might make it less expensive for Disney to get out of whatever licensing contract they have with EA.  But honestly, I'm sure they're already planning on pulling the license as soon as fiscally worthwhile anyway, and I'm sure that isn't in 10 years.  It's an underperforming title by every definition, and I'd say Disney clearly isn't ok with that or else they wouldn't be shutting down LA and every other studio they've gotten their hands on.  Heck, they barely even have any inhouse software development anymore.  They have three remaining studios, one now only producing mobile games at a seemingly glacial pace, one in China doing who knows what, and one working on a single cross platform title, a software/toy hybrid ala Skylanders.

• BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    I never even heard about 1313.. was it in mid-development?

It was very far in and seemed quite adult oriantated , the only plus side it was based on courscant lol :D

Some one earlier said it best and I believe it too be true. I want to add this is a sad day and I do not like the way games are going , well I mean games development. Cell phones for bleedin gaming ? Is there a joystick ? Is there a d-pad ? Is there a bloody thumb stick ? same goes for I pad's. O I can buy a thumb stick err i have a handheld and a PC and a console though. 

O you want to call someone try talking and typing into this piece of slate and the sound is so cool with free Mp3's . What a joke! 

/rantover

Almost for gods sake and micro tansactions in single player games wth is that ?

Ok i'm done.

Have a good un.

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

Disney will continue to whore out the franchise like LucasArts did. If anything I hope they slow the making of games down. There's been a crap load of Star Wars games the last ten years and most have been mediocre to bad. Very few(KOTOR,Battlfront) have been above average.