Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance: First State of the Game Letter Published

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

A mere day after the launch of Defiance, Nathan Richardsson has published the first State of the Game letter where he acknowledges the journey to launch day and the issues that are plaguing some players. He further details a bit about how those issues will be handled over the coming days and weeks.

• Connectivity – Being able to connect, patch and play. This has a number of things that can be plaguing you depending on platform and what version of the game you have. We’re on it like a shark during winter solstice.

• Pre-order items – WHERE ARE THEY?!?!? We have a number of cases where they aren’t being delivered to you. We know. They haven’t disappeared nor will they. They might pop up suddenly over the next hours, the next time you log on or tomorrow.

• Bosses and Arkfalls – Theymight be very difficult as they scale and the rewards not in any sane correlation to what they should be, being this difficult. You’re right, it’s not right. On it.

• Chat and VOIP – This isn’t broken, we just believe people should use their psychic abilities more. Can you hear what I’m saying to you right now? Yes, exactly. We’re working on it.

Read the full letter on the Defiance site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Gotta get that chat and voip out asap. We have a fun I game to play finally, dont want it to lose any momentum you know.
    Actually the difficulty is just fine sucess should be more of a rarity to boost the reward for success
  • TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Defiance Devs- "What?!? People dont like our UI for PC?! This is the first complaints we've heard!.. Oh look an alien!".../runsoff
  • eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    First couple hours it was up, went to an arc fall area, and the final big mutant boss thing was nearly impossible to beat.... why? Everyone ran out of ammo. Some (like me) resorted to using cars to ram the monsters, others drove to the nearest ammo spot (not very close) and reloaded... We beat the final symbiote(sp?) with ~30 seconds left. Was very amusing, if a bit frustrating. I don't remember running out of ammo so early (or at all) in the beta weekends...
    ^^ that's awesome. Ramming cars. What your getting is a chance to finally be a part of blazing a trail. Usually games have all the how to's and YouTube vids out and you just watch and read and implement, Defiance is giving you something right now that you cant get elsewhere
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Good strategy for running out of ammo. Set yourself up a second load out, but equip it with weapons that use different ammo than your main ones. Boom twice the ammo.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    Originally posted by KingofHartz
    ^^ that's awesome. Ramming cars. What your getting is a chance to finally be a part of blazing a trail. Usually games have all the how to's and YouTube vids out and you just watch and read and implement, Defiance is giving you something right now that you cant get elsewhere

You're right! and it's a lot of fun =D

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

"At the end of the day – which btw, our day never does, we’re here 24/7 – we reach around each other and are happy."

Nice, they just sit there all day developing the game and giving each other reach arounds. That's the way I like things done!

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Ghavrigg

"At the end of the day – which btw, our day never does, we’re here 24/7 – we reach around each other and are happy."

Nice, they just sit there all day developing the game and giving each other reach arounds. That's the way I like things done!

Yeah... lol that probably wasn't the best choice of words. "we reach around each other" was bad enough, having "and are happy" at the end did me in. I laughed so much my sides hurt. That has definitely become one dev studio I never want to visit lol. 

• eric_w66eric_w66 Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by Fendel84M
    Good strategy for running out of ammo. Set yourself up a second load out, but equip it with weapons that use different ammo than your main ones. Boom twice the ammo.

Heh, I went through *all* my weapons. I was down to using my pistol which was very slow firing for the final part, saving what little ammo I had left for it because the final part the monster is flying and I don't think you can ram it with cars ;). So for the last 5 or so minutes leading up to the end, I was driving around ramming... and my car would sometimes explode and I'd go flying. Heh.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591
    Its common on any major arcfall to have to go get ammo 2-3 times on the final portion, thats just how it will always be, gotta know where the closes ammo depot is and way point it so you can quickly drive there and back without issue.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

There is no answer offered by either SyFy nor TRION about how non-US / UK players are able to watch the Defiance TV series??

So much for the whole TV show tie in to the game, when a huge portion of the playerbase won't be able to watch the TV series! /Facepalm

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589
    Originally posted by JeroKane

There is no answer offered by either SyFy nor TRION about how non-US / UK players are able to watch the Defiance TV series??

So much for the whole TV show tie in to the game, when a huge portion of the playerbase won't be able to watch the TV series! /Facepalm

If you have access to the Syfy channel then you will be able to watch Defiance on the 16th of April.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

You've obvously never heard of torrents, it won't be hard to find the episodes online in hd like shortly after they aired on tv.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

Originally posted by Siveria

You've obvously never heard of torrents, it won't be hard to find the episodes online in hd like shortly after they aired on tv.

Ofcourse we can pirate.

It's just absolutely silly that a huge portion of the playerbase is basically being "encouraged" (read forced) to pirate the TV series.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by eric_w66
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Heh, I went through *all* my weapons. I was down to using my pistol which was very slow firing for the final part, saving what little ammo I had left for it because the final part the monster is flying and I don't think you can ram it with cars ;). So for the last 5 or so minutes leading up to the end, I was driving around ramming... and my car would sometimes explode and I'd go flying. Heh.

Aside from using your vehicle, best solution is always keep a backup BMG handy. Unlimited ammo incase you run out of everything else.

Yeah but think of the publicity. New York Times cover story " Defiance causes defiant web use" ok so that may be a stretch but national inquirer maybe
  • PipsannaPipsanna Member UncommonPosts: 7
    I'm really disappointed in this game. I was so excited to play it, but it's really just a big grind. Most games are pretty grind-y, but every other game has other aspects to it, I guess. Even just simple crafting. I'm really let down.
  • Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    One of my favorite things to do in Defiance is run over aliens and mutants in my ride, plus it helps you level up your driving skills. Win-win.
  • FeroquieraFeroquiera Member UncommonPosts: 6
    Not only US/UK will broadcast Defiance. It was recently announced for Australian TV, and SyFy is bringing it to many parts of Europe, and Brazil also!
  • McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    I am enjoying the game so far because unlike many console players who are new to MMOs, I know that no MMO ever has launched with massive content or 100% bug free.
    Originally posted by Feroquiera
    Not only US/UK will broadcast Defiance. It was recently announced for Australian TV, and SyFy is bringing it to many parts of Europe, and Brazil also!

I just checked on the wiki:

Brasil, Canada, France, UK, Ireland, Germany, Spain and Australia. Portugal a month later.

Rest of Europe gets the shaft.

The entire Nordic region is ignored. Funny also is that the BeNeLux countries actually have SyFy, but won't get the TV series anytime soon either.

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    'ON IT'
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • FluxiiFluxii Member Posts: 184
    Originally posted by Feroquiera

I just checked on the wiki:

Brasil, Canada, France, UK, Ireland, Germany, Spain and Australia. Portugal a month later.

Rest of Europe gets the shaft.

The entire Nordic region is ignored. Funny also is that the BeNeLux countries actually have SyFy, but won't get the TV series anytime soon either.

Why are people acting like it's SyFy's fault?  You don't think they dont' want to be carried everywhere they possibly can?

What are they supposed to do, cram themselves down counties, throats that don't have/want anyone to carry the network or show?

Get over yourselves.  Sorry for the countries that can't see the show, but really?  Use a little common sense.  They're not trying to "deprive" you.  Blame YOUR country, not SyFy.

• PsYcHoGBRPsYcHoGBR Member UncommonPosts: 482

UK date is the same.

http://www.geektown.co.uk/tvairdates/defiance/