Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Custom UI's... Yay or Nay?

NegativeXNegativeX Member Posts: 100

Figure I'd start a thread, where we can all discuss the pro's and con's of a custom UI and your opinion(s) as to why.

Not sure if it has even been officially talked about yet, by the powers to be.

Personally I loved the ability to skin my own UI's. Because lets face it, there's thousands of different people with a thousand of different ways they prefer things to be setup and the overall look & feel of things.

The only thing I'm personally against is the extra extensions that could give a slight advantage or make certain aspects of the game easier, beyond just the visual. WoW was/is a great offender in this instance.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Camelot Unchained Fanpage

https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

Comments

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by NegativeX

Figure I'd start a thread, where we can all discuss the pro's and con's of a custom UI and your opinion(s) as to why.

Not sure if it has even been officially talked about yet, by the powers to be.

Personally I loved the ability to skin my own UI's. Because lets face it, there's thousands of different people with a thousand of different ways they prefer things to be setup and the overall look & feel of things.

The only thing I'm personally against is the extra extensions that could give a slight advantage or make certain aspects of the game easier, beyond just the visual. WoW was/is a great offender in this instance.

Opinions? Thoughts?

Yes of course. But no addons please - they kill the fun of the game.

• VanshoodieVanshoodie Member Posts: 34
    Sure as long as it is for cosmetics, being that people can change a color or move hotbars to their likeing. When it comes to adding macro scripts and other addons that change gameplay i am against it.
  • binskkibinskki Member CommonPosts: 153

I tend to agree.  Tons of visual flexibilty for preference and convenience (and potential middle-aged blindness), but nothing that's going to make it impossible to be an efficient healer without three or four special mods.

What do people think about the related issue of macros?  Within reason, they can be really helpful (/assist, etc.) but some elaborate thing that turns you into a one-button-spamming wonder makes everyone's play very similar...and hence very boring.

• morfidonmorfidon Member Posts: 245
    Originally posted by binskki

I tend to agree.  Tons of visual flexibilty for preference and convenience (and potential middle-aged blindness), but nothing that's going to make it impossible to be an efficient healer without three or four special mods.

What do people think about the related issue of macros?  Within reason, they can be really helpful (/assist, etc.) but some elaborate thing that turns you into a one-button-spamming wonder makes everyone's play very similar...and hence very boring.

You answered yourself in second paragraph . What's more it makes you to play like that otherwise you are under disadvantage. Addons are bad, they are killing fun.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Just no Add-ons please

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MasahikoKobeMasahikoKobe Member Posts: 51
    Custom UI and icons yes. Addons no.
  • skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

Yea i agree with what other people are saying, custom yes, but no addons.

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• akiira69akiira69 Member UncommonPosts: 615
    Yes to Custom UI's and Yes to AddOns. I dont know why people are so against AddOns seeing that the games that do allow for them have in time incorporated majority of the AddOns into the actual game. Or have hired the AddOn Developer to be part of the Development team for said Game.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006

No addons, NO DPS METERS, Block ACT too

scale, position and skinning yes please

Originally posted by TribeofOne
    No addons, NO DPS METERS, Block ACT tooscale, position and skinning yes please

DPS meter in open world pvp game is so dumb anyway.

SKYeXile

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    Originally posted by skyexile

heh well we all know how some love their dps meters  /report group dps  /touchmyself

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405
    Yes to custom UI, but no to addons.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

• NegativeXNegativeX Member Posts: 100

heh well we all know how some love their dps meters  /report group dps  /touchmyself

lmfao...

Camelot Unchained Fanpage

https://simply-gaming.com/camelot/

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

Yes please.

I mean unless you guys think the default daoc group window was good and you actually used it. (meaning you were a fucking aweful healer/support)

I love how people are so against AddOns yet not a single one has put up a valid reason for such hatred.

"Possibly we humans can exist without actually having to fight. But many of us have chosen to fight. For what reason? To protect something? Protect what? Ourselves? The future? If we kill people to protect ourselves and this future, then what sort of future is it, and what will we have become? There is no future for those who have died. And what of those who did the killing? Is happiness to be found in a future that is grasped with blood stained hands? Is that the truth?"

Originally posted by akiira69
    I love how people are so against AddOns yet not a single one has put up a valid reason for such hatred.

We could state one like that it put and keeps everybody on a level playing field, but then you seem like the type of guy who would reply with, "EVERYBODY CAN INSTALL AN ADDON BUT! i dont see your opinion as valid, GIVE ME A REAL REASON" the conversation would go on like that and you would post on every page "nobody has given me a valid reason yet" even though everybody would be listing their reasons for not liking addons. Sure put addons in, whatever ill use them and install every addon I need to remain competitive, id rather just play the game though.

SKYeXile

• Plastic-MetalPlastic-Metal Member Posts: 405

id rather just play the game though.

+1

I've played every major MMO that has been released.  It wasn't until addons were introduced that gamers began to learn how to use the addon instead of just learning to play the game.  A prime example is World of Warcraft; a healer focuses on the little health bars and nothing else because his/her entire screen is covered with interface clutter.  In even further instances, addons provide a "NAME" and then a list of abilities that remove the targeting and critical thinking out of the game itself.

Anywho, apples to oranges.  When addons are enabled, it becomes required by a certain playerbase in order to be competitive or allowed to group.

My name is Plastic-Metal and my name is an oxymoron.

Originally posted by Plastic-Metal
    Originally posted by skyexile   Originally posted by akiira69 I love how people are so against AddOns yet not a single one has put up a valid reason for such hatred.
    +1

I've played every major MMO that has been released.  It wasn't until addons were introduced that gamers began to learn how to use the addon instead of just learning to play the game.  A prime example is World of Warcraft; a healer focuses on the little health bars and nothing else because his/her entire screen is covered with interface clutter.  In even further instances, addons provide a "NAME" and then a list of abilities that remove the targeting and critical thinking out of the game itself.

Anywho, apples to oranges.  When addons are enabled, it becomes required by a certain playerbase in order to be competitive or allowed to group.

yea if you don't heal with some sort of click and grid, YOU DUMB or do arena with gladius, raid boss mods, etc.

SKYeXile

Originally posted by Plastic-Metal

+1

I understand that from your point of view that too many addons might clutter a screen but as a person whos been using AddOns since Asheron's Call I have never had this problem. Yes I have run a healer in WOW, Rift, EQ2, Asheron's Call(which does allow for AdddOns, AC does not allow for Unattended Combat Macro Addons) and Ive run healers in games like Lineage 2, SWTOR, SWG, and RF Online(which dont allow for AddOns) and can tell you the amount of AddOns on my User Interface does NOT prevent me from keeping the 5 Man Dungeon Group or the 25 Man Raid Group from Dying. Also as I have Stated before if it wasnt for AddOns majority of the additions to the MMO's that do allow them would not have come to fruition. WOW is prime example of this. One example of this is Quest Tracking on the Map that was originally an AddOn created by a player. Another good example is at the very beginning of WOrld of Warcraft you could only track 4 quests, now thanks to a player you can track up to 8. Some of the things that Players create could be added to the game by the Dev's without any involvement from the Players but that would take away from the Devs time to fix bugs and balance the game.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Just no Add-ons please

Thank you!

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

It's been talked about so many times it isn't funny.  Generally it's an unfair advantage.  As one of the tests if a addon is an unfair advantage if someone said you can install the addon as well, that's a sign it's too powerful.

Plus you get those who like to have those messages telling them what button to push.  Or they get lazy and not work at healing and want special addons to make it simple for them.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

Originally posted by waynejr2
    Originally posted by akiira69 I love how people are so against AddOns yet not a single one has put up a valid reason for such hatred.
     It's been talked about so many times it isn't funny.  Generally it's an unfair advantage.  As one of the tests if a addon is an unfair advantage if someone said you can install the addon as well, that's a sign it's too powerful.

Plus you get those who like to have those messages telling them what button to push.  Or they get lazy and not work at healing and want special addons to make it simple for them.

One of the threads Waynejr2 is talking about can be seen here:
    http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm?thread=379958&val=1&uh=3D4B5174191B600A8DB58BEE1D3A80F5

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• belatucadrosbelatucadros Member UncommonPosts: 264

Honestly as long as there's a good healer UI I won't care.

Addons can be great though. And it's possible to do without balance issues - if the devs focus on that.

WAR did far better than WOW, let's have CU do far better than WAR.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by NegativeX
    Figure I'd start a thread, where we can all discuss the pro's and con's of a custom UI and your opinion(s) as to why.Not sure if it has even been officially talked about yet, by the powers to be.  Personally I loved the ability to skin my own UI's. Because lets face it, there's thousands of different people with a thousand of different ways they prefer things to be setup and the overall look & feel of things.The only thing I'm personally against is the extra extensions that could give a slight advantage or make certain aspects of the game easier, beyond just the visual. WoW was/is a great offender in this instance.  Opinions? Thoughts?

Definately yes.
    It adds to the life expectancy of the game, to the fun of the gamer that has issues with the basic UI.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"