Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] League of Legends: The Importance of LoL All-Stars

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Voting for the League of Legends All-Star game teams has begun and today we're weighing in on the importance of it all.

The All-Star game is a huge freaking deal! And this is especially true for the North American scene, which is what we’re going to focus on today. The NA scene has been noticeably lagging behind their Asian counterparts for some time, and this was reflected clearly in the Season 2 World Championships, where NA trailblazers like Team SoloMid were quickly defeated. Fortunately, it seems the NA scene has really picked up its collective game in Season 3, with the LCS (League Championship Series) tournaments showing some strong play and competition from the various teams.

Read more of Michael Bitton's The Importance of LoL All-Stars.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• robthemaniacrobthemaniac Member Posts: 57
    I agree with just about every pick on here except for not mentioning Elementz for support. I don't think he's better than the others but he has always been big in the community, and I feel like with a popularity contest going on, he could be the gel that keeps the team together.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by robthemaniac
    I agree with just about every pick on here except for not mentioning Elementz for support. I don't think he's better than the others but he has always been big in the community, and I feel like with a popularity contest going on, he could be the gel that keeps the team together.

I'm not really supporting the notion of the popularity contest. I'm trying to communicate this is more important than that. Elementz is pretty good, but like just about everyone else on Curse, he's pretty aggressive. He loves to go in and bait things out. This is fine and Curse plays around this, but you want to keep things less volatile on an All-Star team.

• SileznozSileznoz Member Posts: 1
    Really good article. I had 3 of your sames pick exept I went with voyboy as top since I like his aggro style. I also went theoddone for jungle since he really shines with about every jungle character I seen him use.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Originally posted by Sileznoz
    Really good article. I had 3 of your sames pick exept I went with voyboy as top since I like his aggro style. I also went theoddone for jungle since he really shines with about every jungle character I seen him use.

TheOddOne is my favorite jungler, but I don't think he's shown as much presence from the jungle as SV has this season.

• HomituHomitu Member UncommonPosts: 2,030

I agree with all the picks, except I did choose Voyboy over Dyrus.  OddOne is my favorite jungler as well, but he really hasn't been quite as impactful as even some of the lesser known junglers (Xsmithie, Lautemortis).  Overall, his jungling, aside from their now standard triple top turret dive at level 3, has been quite passive this season. 

As to one of the article's main points, I don't quite see the "importance" of this all star voting.  It strikes me as mostly something fun for both the players and fans, but has virtually no bearing whatsoever on how NA compares to any other region.  I wouldn't expect this "all star team" to play as well together as any of the 8 teams would with their own teams' compositions.  There's something to be said about experience playing together. 

I also don't think the LCS provides us with any way to gague how NA teams would fare against Asian teams again.  Some NA teams can look amazing against their NA competition just as they did last year.  Then the best NA teams can go ahead and lose to the 10th best Asian team.  We have no way of knowing unless they play directly against each other. 

• easy-reasy-r Member Posts: 38
    how much of a nerdgin do you have to be to watch another nerdgin play video games
  • SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    I don't know, how much of a meathead do you have to be to watch another meathead play sports?

• RomeuFCRRomeuFCR Member Posts: 58

So... you're picking Dyrus over Voyboy because Voyboy might be too agressive and unpredictable. Ok, I can get behind that, even though Voyboy clearly IS the best Top in NA.

But my beef is that you then pick Saintvicious for the jungle and basically the same rule should apply here, Saintvicious is an overly agressive jungler and shouldn't be picked based on the same thought process you applied to Voyboy.

Crumbzz is a mucher safer choice than Saintvicious, and popularity aside, he's a better jungler than the Oddone. You might like him, but he's extremely limited in his champion pool, and he's had little influence in TSM's matches this season.

Support, Patoy is consistent but Elementz would also be a good pick.

AD Carry, Doublelift????? no... just no! CLG are terrible this season, they keep trying to feed Doublelifts hypercarries and it almost always backfires on them, Doublelift can't even do other playstyles... he's waiting to be fed. So you'd basically have to do what CLG does and make the team play for him, that's all kinds of wrong as it's been proven time and time again this season. Cop IS the better choice, and if not then Imaqtpie is also a good choice.

Mid, there can be no one else.. it's Scarra.

Playing:

RIFT, EU Blightweald Server

Waiting to see:

ToR, TERA, GW2

• CallMeSinnerCallMeSinner Member UncommonPosts: 7
    european all-stars pls?
  • TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Top - Voyboy

Mid - Reginald

Jungle - Oddone

Support - Xspecial

Adc - Wildturtles

Doublelift has not playing well for awhile now.  Wildturtles is super aggressive and he is playing super well right now which is the only way to compete against the asian teams.  Regi is playing some of his best right now and making great plays all game.  He's probably the most aggressive mid atm for NA.  Voyboy can win his lane, he just needs to know when be tanky/defensive.  Dyrus seems to be inconsistent and too passive.  Oddone plays the best support jungle, helping his carries get fed. All of the supports are meh but I think Xspecial is good at being super aggressive and aggressive supports make winning the bottom lane that much easier.