Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With Disney buyiing SW....any chance of resurrection?

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Oh SWG is super dead. At this point I just would hope any future SW MMO is a viable game.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by superniceguy
    Originally posted by DJMantiss
    Considering that Disney just closed everything else? Im going to say... NO.

Disney closed Lucasarts but Disney is Lucasarts, so the closure makes no difference, as otherwise that means there will be no more Star Wars game ever, by that thinking

Nope, but they won't be bringing back a game that ultimately failed jsut for funsies. Unless you add a lot of princesses.

Compared to the games being released lately, SWG did not fail. In the end it was a solid game with plenty to do, and SWTOR is failing because it is no where as good as SWG. SWG had so many features in it, that every MMO being released lately is pathetic in comparison. SWG is the MMO that people compare MMOs to, they want a SWG but less buggy, but when MMOs get released and have very few features, they flop and fail more so than SWG ever did.

I know you would love to have SWG back but logical thinking states it will never happen. SWTOR can shut down tomorrow but resurrection of SWG still won't happen.

Both SOE and Lucasart washed their hands of SWG and i doubt they or another company is ever going to touch it. There is a time for everything and SWG had its chance for 8 years. 

It ended too soon. The servers were rising in May-June 2011 after the server merges. Before May 2011 there was one full sever. One week before the closure announcement there was 4 full servers. People were starting to enjoy the game again, and if it was not for SWTOR it would have carried on too. If LA and SOE had a crystal ball and could see the future of SWTOR failing then would not have shut down SWG, so now the failure is known, it is time to bring back the SW MMO that was more successful

If SWTOR was a success as they vissioned, then they would have washed their hand of SWG, but this never happened, and they will never wash their hands of SWG until it either gets resurrected or they release a game that is similar to SWG and actually better than SWG because we will always be going on about SWG until that happens

Disney closed Lucasarts but Disney is Lucasarts, so the closure makes no difference, as otherwise that means there will be no more Star Wars game ever, by that thinking

Nope, but they won't be bringing back a game that ultimately failed jsut for funsies. Unless you add a lot of princesses.

City Of heroes fans overshadow SWG in every possible way. If that game is never going to come back after such lengthy campaign i dount anyone would bother bringing SWG back. I don't think there is  enough excitement or fanbase to make that effort a wothwhile effort.

SWG is dead and gone for good.

SWG was still a better game than City of Heroes, but CoH did not have 2 major updates completely changing it. People stayed away fearing a 3rd major change that never happened, plus people were expecting SWTOR to be the holy grail and expecting BW to crush SOEs efforts, which never happened but the opposite and the main people who made BW left . If there was a City of Heroes 2 being relesed after COH closed, I doubt there would have been such a huge support to save it either

BETTER is subjective so not getting into that argument with you. But the dedication that COH fanbase showed to try to save the game is well known. SWG just doesn't have that. No company likes to throw their money into a pit. And tht is what SWG is a deep  dark money pit.

I was part of the COH fanbase too trying to save it, but as I said SWTOR was being released so it did not have that dedication at the time, as people were looking forward to SWTOR and leaving SWG behind.But now, even people who wanted SWG to close, now want it back after playing SWTOR, so if SWG was closing today it would have that dedication and more so.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Compared to the games being released lately, SWG did not fail. In the end it was a solid game with plenty to do, and SWTOR is failing because it is no where as good as SWG. SWG had so many features in it, that every MMO being released lately is pathetic in comparison. SWG is the MMO that people compare MMOs to, they want a SWG but less buggy, but when MMOs get released and have very few features, they flop and fail more so than SWG ever did.

I know you would love to have SWG back but logical thinking states it will never happen. SWTOR can shut down tomorrow but resurrection of SWG still won't happen.

Both SOE and Lucasart washed their hands of SWG and i doubt they or another company is ever going to touch it. There is a time for everything and SWG had its chance for 8 years. 

It ended too soon. The servers were rising in May-June 2011 after the server merges. Before May 2011 there was one full sever. One week before the closure announcement there was 4 full servers. People were starting to enjoy the game again, and if it was not for SWTOR it would have carried on too. If LA and SOE had a crystal ball and could see the future of SWTOR failing then would not have shut down SWG, so now the failure is known, it is time to bring back the SW MMO that was more successful

If SWTOR was a success as they vissioned, then they would have washed their hand of SWG, but this never happened, and they will never wash their hands of SWG until it either gets resurrected or they release a game that is similar to SWG and actually better than SWG because we will always be going on about SWG until that happens

Well if there were enough dedicated fans like you i am sure it would have happened already. Like i said earlier SWG resurrection got nothing to do with SWTOR. SOE / Lucas just don't care for SWG anymore which is quite clear from Lucas abrupt decision to not renew the license.

Disney got its plate full already i doubt they care if some pockets of fans here and there still want SWG back. Who knows if Disney even gives a damn about SW MMORPG.

What is there to encourage them? two mmos one of which shut down and one turned out to be just average? why the hell would they dump their money in another SW MMO when they can make lot more by makign single player games for consoles.

Originally posted by ignore_me

I didn't say the injury was intentional, but the damage still occurs. If you play the game, you are supporting it. If you give them money, that much worse. How do you seperate the blood from the body?

I see you are still trying to justify it. I would understand your anger more if they were doing so just to spite you but it is not about you.

Well let me see if I understand this, I am supposed to be accepting because I was not personally the target? I mean you could say I am operating on a revenge principle, which would be morally incorrect on my part if we were talking about something that is of real life importance. Are you assuming that I am unhappy in life in general because of this issue? Cause I can assure you that is not the case, but I appreciate the concern (do not assume sarcasm here as I am not using it).

I feel that there is a bit of an injustice at work here, and that doesn't require that I specifically be the target (intentional, or no) of the transgressor. In my book, and as far as this means anything, Bioware is guilty of gross negligence. That is, by their ineptness and possible hubris, has caused injury in some form. I don't think that a pass needs to be issued here so that the SWTOR consumers can enjoy a utopian experience on the forums.

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52

Look... the game is gone, okay? It's not coming back.

It has passed on! This game is no more! It has ceased to be! It's expired and gone to meet it's maker! It's a stiff! Bereft of life, it rests in peace! If it were buried it'd be pushing up daisies! It's computational processes are now history! It's off the twig! It's kicked the bucket! It's shuffled off it's mortal coil, run down the curtain and joined the friggin' choir invisible!

THIS, IS AN EX-GAME!

Well if there were enough dedicated fans like you i am sure it would have happened already. Like i said earlier SWG resurrection got nothing to do with SWTOR. SOE / Lucas just don't care for SWG anymore which is quite clear from Lucas abrupt decision to not renew the license.

Disney got its plate full already i doubt they care if some pockets of fans here and there still want SWG back. Who knows if Disney even gives a damn about SW MMORPG.

SOE/LA only did not care for SWG when they saw the 2 million subscribers coming. SOE/Smed thought people would quit SWG for SWTOR, he even stated this in 2008.  If they could see that SWTOR was going to flop and lose 1.5 million subbers within 10 months, they would not have shut down SWG.  I doubt LA would sold to Disney if SWTOR beat WOW in sub numbers, nor BW would have folded. Closing down SWG and relying on SWTORs succes was their biggest mistake they ever made.

I didn't say the injury was intentional, but the damage still occurs. If you play the game, you are supporting it. If you give them money, that much worse. How do you seperate the blood from the body?

I see you are still trying to justify it. I would understand your anger more if they were doing so just to spite you but it is not about you.

Well let me see if I understand this, I am supposed to be accepting because I was not personally the target? I mean you could say I am operating on a revenge principle, which would be morally incorrect on my part if we were talking about something that is of real life importance. Are you assuming that I am unhappy in life in general because of this issue? Cause I can assure you that is not the case, but I appreciate the concern (do not assume sarcasm here as I am not using it).

I feel that there is a bit of an injustice at work here, and that doesn't require that I specifically be the target (intentional, or no) of the transgressor. In my book, and as far as this means anything, Bioware is guilty of gross negligence. That is, by their ineptness and possible hubris, has caused injury in some form. I don't think that a pass needs to be issued here so that the SWTOR consumers can enjoy a utopian experience on the forums.

I think i already know that. My intention is not to change you or anything. Please feel free to act like a victim of Bioware as well as its playerbase who are supporting the game and hurt you in process even though they don't even know about it.

I just do not agree with targetting the playerbase and generalise them. And no SWTOR consumers don't need pass to enjoy utopian experince on forums but that also doesn't mean that it is ok to treat them as some collateral damage.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    No.

^^ Plays SWTOR btw

I think i already know that. My intention is not to change you or anything. Please feel free to act like a victim of Bioware as well as its playerbase who are supporting the game and hurt you in process even though they don't even know about it.

I just do not agree with targetting the playerbase and generalise them. And no SWTOR consumers don't need pass to enjoy utopian experince on forums but that also doesn't mean that it is ok to treat them as some collateral damage.

Well you can pretend you are not a victim of SWTOR but you are. Even though you get some enjoyment from the title, you are missing out on a lot. Even by playing this game instead of others you are choking off your potential for some better gameplay. I will bear this burden for you and others like you :)

'Bioware hath given us a giant corn-dogging right in the nuts.

With cutscenes, ballet pants for men, and exhaustion zones

But the ghosts and spectres of what was or could have been

speak with voices untethered to the invisible boots on the cartel market.'

-Anonymous Ass on the Internet

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Sure there is a chance.  All they need is a game division to produce a game.  Hey like LucasArts.  Oh Wait.................

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I see nothing but continued darkness in the future for SWG, but fear not, there is another, her name is Camelot Unchained.

GTFO with this crappy Camelot project, stop hyping that vaporware, they aren't even capable of putting a gameplay video on their crappy campaign site. The whole concept is a joke anyway. No idea how you think this could be anything like SWG

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

Originally posted by waynejr2

Sure there is a chance.  All they need is a game division to produce a game.  Hey like LucasArts.  Oh Wait.................

SWG aside, this was just plain chilling. I used to play the old adventure games like Monkey Island, The Dig, etc. I even had a Naval Simulator on the Commodore 64 made by Lucasarts. Even though I hold them primarily responsible for the death of SWG, it's weird to see Lucasarts die.

• SyllendaleSyllendale Member UncommonPosts: 162
    It was announced today that DIsney "disbanded" lucasarts. So not only will there be no SWG (from them anyway) but no more Star Wars 1313 either.. they had other projects too that were going as well. They laid off 150 people so.. *sigh*
  • ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063

Well you can pretend you are not a victim of SWTOR but you are. Even though you get some enjoyment from the title, you are missing out on a lot. Even by playing this game instead of others you are choking off your potential for some better gameplay. I will bear this burden for you and others like you :)

Oh for goodness sakes get over yourself. No one that is enjoying TOR needs you to bear any burden for them. They play the game because they want to. They play the game because they enjoy it. If they didn't enjoy the game, they wouldn't be playing it. They aren't missing out on anything.Has it ever occured to you that MAYBE, just maybe, they enjoy what the game offers and couldn't give a damn about sitting in a chair, playing house on Tattoine or any of the other things that TOR doesn't have that has given posters like you heartburn for the last two years?

Here's another radical thought for you... do you know that there was many who actually played SWG and thought it was***gasp*** the most boring piece of crap ever and they would rather watch grass grow than play that game again? I know, how can ANYONE play that great game and not like it? That concept just doesn't compute for you. 

Sorry for coming off rude but arrogant and condenscending posts like yours is why the SWG community has the rep it does. 

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• DunworthDunworth Member UncommonPosts: 29
    It will be back.......You can't stop the signal Mal
  • AdamaiAdamai Member UncommonPosts: 476
    for all you nut jobs that keep saying swg was a failef game !!! might i draw your attention to the fact it lastef almost 9 years... that is by no means a failed game. if it were not for soe blunders and nerfs !!! swg would still be thriving. swg was a ground breaking game and still is today.. the mechanics abd content inspired creative charecter development.. i dont mean selecting skills i mean development of the charecters charecter.. i.e. a crafter/ trader player would play as a crafter trader and react as such in game giving a huge feeling of emersion which practically all games lack today. the same can be said for allplaystyles of the late swg.. pulling the plug was a hugemistake. it needef a grapics overhaul but that was about it.. maybe some fresh advertising. only problem i saw with swg is the kids of today... lol they have no idea what the starwars universe is about... all they know is the last 3 new films which simply isnt starwars.

I survived three tours to Afghanistan...i don't think a peice of software can make me feel like a victim. Like i said earlier i don't care if you hate the game.. but yes for someone like me who comes to forums for discussing MMO, when people start attacking playerbase it just defeats the whole point of discussion regarding pros and cons of the game in question. 

As far as potential of better game play is concerned you are once again assuming that i don't play other MMOS. So nope my ptotential isn't being wasted. I don't even play SWTOR that much. 

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Adamai
    for all you nut jobs that keep saying swg was a failef game !!! might i draw your attention to the fact it lastef almost 9 years... that is by no means a failed game. if it were not for soe blunders and nerfs !!! swg would still be thriving. swg was a ground breaking game and still is today.. the mechanics abd content inspired creative charecter development.. i dont mean selecting skills i mean development of the charecters charecter.. i.e. a crafter/ trader player would play as a crafter trader and react as such in game giving a huge feeling of emersion which practically all games lack today. the same can be said for allplaystyles of the late swg.. pulling the plug was a hugemistake. it needef a grapics overhaul but that was about it.. maybe some fresh advertising. only problem i saw with swg is the kids of today... lol they have no idea what the starwars universe is about... all they know is the last 3 new films which simply isnt starwars.

So this developer of the game is a nutjob huh? http://rubenfield.com/?p=86

I pretty much agree with this. Most of those who play SWTOR, only play it as it is the only Star Wars MMO around. If SWG came back, people would ditch SWTOR and go play SWG instead, and there are already over 1.5 million people already quit SWTOR and playing nothing, just waiting for SWG to return or a SWG like game to be made.

I think people will even ditch WOW to play SWG as people are getting fed up of theme parks now, but as WOW still does the theme oark the best people still play WOW.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by DJMantiss Originally posted by superniceguy Originally posted by DJMantiss Considering that Disney just closed everything else? Im going to say... NO.

SWG DID fail, I don't have the numbers from the SOE archives, but when playing the game and seeing the flaws from Launch, the horrible customer experience with the devs, the broken content and the -and I'll be extremely positive about the percentage- 90%+ leaving the game after that NGE hit the game was comatoze.

the devs that got in after that massive fail did a wonderful job trying to fix the pieces, fact remains that the game was a massive fail from start, they bleeded members when it went Live.

I'll add to that that after EVE it was the best sandbox for me till they started the jedicraze with that ridiculous holocron handout.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by DJMantiss Considering that Disney just closed everything else? Im going to say... NO.

SWG DID fail, I don't have the numbers from the SOE archives, but when playing the game and seeing the flaws from Launch, the horrible customer experience with the devs, the broken content and the -and I'll be extremely positive about the percentage- 90%+ leaving the game after that NGE hit the game was comatoze.

the devs that got in after that massive fail did a wonderful job trying to fix the pieces, fact remains that the game was a massive fail from start, they bleeded members when it went Live.

I'll add to that that after EVE it was the best sandbox for me till they started the jedicraze with that ridiculous holocron handout.

SWG OVERALL did not fail, people never gave it the chance. SOE did wonders with it after the NGE with what they could do without LA help.  The game was multiple games all in one, and if you got sucked into it, then it is the only MMO you needed to play.

SWTOR has failed, and the companies have disbanded, and is now their lowest priority (at least SOE/LA tried to make i better with the CU and NGE and 3 full priced expansions instead of jumping into merges and F2P) and they are doing NOTHING to make the game BETTER

All other MMOs that have been released over the past few years are just 5 minute wonders, so if SWG failed then all other MMOs havve failed even harder, including STO (my current favourite)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

The ultimate fail is when servers are shut down. SWTOR is still up and running. SWG is not.

Rest is matter of opinion and you know what they say about opinions.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney