Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With Disney buyiing SW....any chance of resurrection?

Comments

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by denshing
    Harrison Ford is going to be in it, and before Disney bought the rights to make the series, they had asked Mark Hammil and Carrie Fisher. So the fact that they bought the rights to make it indicated a strong chance that Luke, Leia, and Han will all be in the new movie.

huh? What?

hehe, this aint about the movie, it's about Star Wars Galaxies.

And OP, Not gonna happen, besides you really think that many would play it again, with all tech going on I hope most expect a more up to date version. and not some resurrected old dated version. Sure there will be a few that will play regardless, bet some enjoy the emu.

I will admit I am a spoiled gamer, actually once I leave a MMO it's always for good.....oops yes I did, while I left about 2 months after release I returned too Age of Conan for about 4 or 5 months don't recall excactly. Apart from that there hasn't been a MMORPG that gave me that MMORPG fibe like SWG has done to me.

I can only hope on a new MMORPG to be as good for me.........

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

It won't

SoE has come out and stated that the code no longer exists. At least not in it's original state. Disney has nothing to do with SWG other than hold the IP. SoE holds the rights to all the code and they have already stated they aren't interested in resurrecting the game. It's not even a question of "I wouldn't hold my breath." It 100% certain. SWG is gone forever.

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by cronius77

SWG was not really more of a success than SWTOR , it had a dedicated fan base but I dont even think those numbers equaled the box sales alone of swtor. Also SWTOR is still going and they claim to be making a lot more money now so the jury technically is still out on SWTOR compared to SWG.

SWG also relased 3 full priced expansions, and released many variants including The Total Experience, The Starter Pack, and Complete Online Adventures., which was selling into 2011. I alone bought 13 boxes of SWG myself just in 2003, 3 TTEs and 1 Starter Pack 2005 and then about 10 COA between 2006 and 2011 and you had to sub

There is no point buying a box for SWTOR now, since Nov 15th 2012 and you do not have to sub or pay any money to play

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

It won't

SoE has come out and stated that the code no longer exists. At least not in it's original state. Disney has nothing to do with SWG other than hold the IP. SoE holds the rights to all the code and they have already stated they aren't interested in resurrecting the game. It's not even a question of "I wouldn't hold my breath." It 100% certain. SWG is gone forever.

Where has SOE said this? They have said that pre-NGE does not exist

It is a matter of timing. For 20 years there was no hope Dallas would come back, but then it did.

SWG would do well against all the short lived stuffed being released atm

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059

From my perspective, as much as I would like a new SWG, reopening the game or further supporting TOR as an independent outlet would go against Disney’s interests. They create cross media franchises and are preparing to sell the public on a new vision for Star Wars through the upcoming movies. New books, games, and toons will all be developed to support that new vision and older materials lain by the wayside as unwanted competition that would dilute profitability. It’s typical of what they do and just good business.

Regretfully, SWG is forever dead and it's not coming back. SWTOR exists but that's it. With the new focus I won’t be surprised to see it marginalized and used as a tool for marketing the new era materials like ships, costumes, skins, et al in much the same way as STO was after its collapse.

Looking at the trend in cross media “conglomerates” right now I almost expect a new game put together to accompany a film or cable series in the same vein as Defiance was put together to accompany the SyFy show. While Disney is wrapping up LA they have other working partners that could pick up the slack and produce such a product.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Bigdaddyx
    Originally posted by ignore_me

You need a stronger self-image if some anonymous poster on the internet saying game that you like sucks, bothers you. What label did I put on anyone?

It wouldn't be hard for them to make another SW MMO and have it be better than SWTOR, so my premise is actually probable in that way, but I didn't say I thought it was likely that they would make one. I like this part of your argument:

SWG was killed

No SW game will be good enough

SWTOR is good enough

I spend some time posting about SWTOR, this is a far cry from the amount of time I would have spent playing a worthwhile SW MMO, so to me Bioware created this vacant time allotment where I go on the internet (to multiple sites) and express my displeasure with their crappy game. Unintended consequences.

My disapproval of your generalisation and insulting SWTOR fans by using terms as 'drones' has nothing to do with my lack of strong self image. Only because it is internet and we are all anonymous doesn't mean we have free reign to act like an ass. People get away with a lot in name of anonymity on internet. For me however how you act on internt is just an extension of your real life self. Unless we are roleplaying here? why is it so difficult to give your opinion without using labels and insults? it is a legitimate question.

And where did i say SWTOR is good enough? did you miss the part where i said chances are that another SW MMO will just end up being average or shut down?

Well then maybe you shouldn't have advised others to grow up. It's not at all the same, this forum is not the same as in person interaction. Am I acting like an ass when I come to the forum ready to repel boarders? I'm not going to get on here and pretend like I don't have an issue, that I'm not irritated that EA/Bioware is being supported by people who don't give a shit about the integrity of something that I care about. What would be the point?

If you consider yourself a drone then i guess you would have taken that as an insult, but I imagine that term is easily generalized. The points I make are not reliant on the insults anyway, so you can safely remove those and there is still an argument there.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by superniceguy

It won't

It is a matter of timing. For 14 years there was no hope Dallas would come back, but then it did.

Unfortunately, we can't discuss that here. But think about who would be interested in that code and who would consider approaching SoE to see it.

• RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452
    Originally posted by erictlewis

they cant resurect it as far as I know soe deleted the server side source code. 

Maybe a bunch of volunteers might write a version of the server side code so people could use their original discs, one can always live in hope.

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    Considering that Disney just closed everything else? Im going to say... NO.

It won't

It is a matter of timing. For 14 years there was no hope Dallas would come back, but then it did.

Unfortunately, we can't discuss that here. But think about who would be interested in that code and who would consider approaching SoE to see it.

Ah right, a smoke screen. I doubt SOE would have gotten rid of it but just implied it as they said about "liking permadeath" or something, making it seem that they were going to make permadeath part of EQ next but that is not what they meant!

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I see nothing but continued darkness in the future for SWG, but fear not, there is another, her name is Camelot Unchained.

To compare SWG to CU is like comparing a Diamond to Marcasite.

One is a gem, the other...isnt.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

Originally posted by DJMantiss

Disney closed Lucasarts but Disney is Lucasarts, so the closure makes no difference, as otherwise that means there will be no more Star Wars game ever, by that thinking

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    I think it is possible but what dev would be really willing to take on the project ?
  • BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

You need a stronger self-image if some anonymous poster on the internet saying game that you like sucks, bothers you. What label did I put on anyone?

It wouldn't be hard for them to make another SW MMO and have it be better than SWTOR, so my premise is actually probable in that way, but I didn't say I thought it was likely that they would make one. I like this part of your argument:

SWG was killed

SWTOR is good enough

I spend some time posting about SWTOR, this is a far cry from the amount of time I would have spent playing a worthwhile SW MMO, so to me Bioware created this vacant time allotment where I go on the internet (to multiple sites) and express my displeasure with their crappy game. Unintended consequences.

My disapproval of your generalisation and insulting SWTOR fans by using terms as 'drones' has nothing to do with my lack of strong self image. Only because it is internet and we are all anonymous doesn't mean we have free reign to act like an ass. People get away with a lot in name of anonymity on internet. For me however how you act on internt is just an extension of your real life self. Unless we are roleplaying here? why is it so difficult to give your opinion without using labels and insults? it is a legitimate question.

And where did i say SWTOR is good enough? did you miss the part where i said chances are that another SW MMO will just end up being average or shut down?

Well then maybe you shouldn't have advised others to grow up. It's not at all the same, this forum is not the same as in person interaction. Am I acting like an ass when I come to the forum ready to repel boarders? I'm not going to get on here and pretend like I don't have an issue, that I'm not irritated that EA/Bioware is being supported by people who don't give a shit about the integrity of something that I care about. What would be the point?

If you consider yourself a drone then i guess you would have taken that as an insult, but I imagine that term is easily generalized. The points I make are not reliant on the insults anyway, so you can safely remove those and there is still an argument there.

I love back and forth arguments but i am capable of doing so without assigning labels on others Maybe it is me but i do not understand how a simple video game can make someone so spiteful and angry? i dislike a lot of MMOS, it is a natural thing really. But my dislike stays to the game. Even if i have an issue with couple of players from the community i will still never just generalise entire playerbase. 

Also could you please stop assuming things about me? only because i called you out doesn't mean i have low  self image or that i consider myself a drone. 

I just enjoy it more when people are more focused on the game and not on its playerbase. Just sucks all the fun out of discussion. People who are playing SWTOR probably thousands of them don't even know you exist. They are simply having fun. I doubt they are doing so to hurt you.

It is really silly and self centered of you to insult them for not giving a shit about the integrity of something that you care about even though they don't even know you. 

• DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100

Disney closed Lucasarts but Disney is Lucasarts, so the closure makes no difference, as otherwise that means there will be no more Star Wars game ever, by that thinking

Nope, but they won't be bringing back a game that ultimately failed jsut for funsies. Unless you add a lot of princesses.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Resurrect? No way. Lets not go pretendign SWG was a good game. It was very flawed and had tons of issues with it. If it didn't have "Star Wars" attached to it, it likely would of been shut down long before it ended up closing for SWTOR.

That being said, it still did have some good ideas behind it. Its possible one day a SWG 2 might come out that improves upon its flaws and possibly helps to make a much better game. Still, its a very unlikely thing, and one that would likely not be seen for years if it ever did so. 

Your best bet is hoping someone comes out with a private server for SWG (which is possible, not the easiest thing to do mind you but I've seen it done for other games that otherwise have shut down as a means to play it) or just giving up hope on it and looking to the future. There are games that are sure to be released that pulls off the bits of the game that were actually good right if you give it time to show up and get past it having to be "Star Wars"

Nope, but they won't be bringing back a game that ultimately failed jsut for funsies. Unless you add a lot of princesses.

City Of heroes fans overshadow SWG in every possible way. If that game is never going to come back after such lengthy campaign i dount anyone would bother bringing SWG back. I don't think there is  enough excitement or fanbase to make that effort a wothwhile effort.

SWG is dead and gone for good.

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by echolynfan IF it were to be ressurrected the only way it would work would be to completely overhaul the game engine/mechanics while keeping the basic content intact. No company (IMO) would invest in a previously failed game and bringing back the original game would be out of the question. The only possibility I see remotely happening is SOE re-introducing the game as it was and changing a few things: number of characters per account would have to be increased and/or it woulld have to be F2P. I loved SWG - the only true MMO in my gaming life :)
    No. For that we have the fan project.

I want nothing less than Star Wars Galaxies "Next" from SOE, like they are doing Everquest Next.

I want Star Wars in their amazing Forgelight engine, not a half finished Alpha engine like SWTOR has

I want a Star Wars MMO which looks like Star Wars, not like a cartoon sci fi version of WoW

Help us Disney, you are our last hope, go talk to SOE

for the love of God, NO-MORE-SOE.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Compared to the games being released lately, SWG did not fail. In the end it was a solid game with plenty to do, and SWTOR is failing because it is no where as good as SWG. SWG had so many features in it, that every MMO being released lately is pathetic in comparison. SWG is the MMO that people compare MMOs to, they want a SWG but less buggy, but when MMOs get released and have very few features, they flop and fail more so than SWG ever did.

Compared to the games being released lately, SWG did not fail. In the end it was a solid game with plenty to do, and SWTOR is failing because it is no where as good as SWG. SWG had so many features in it, that every MMO being released lately is pathetic in comparison. SWG is the MMO that people compare MMOs to, they want a SWG but less buggy, but when MMOs get released and have very few features, they flop and fail more so than SWG ever did.

I know you would love to have SWG back but logical thinking states it will never happen. SWTOR can shut down tomorrow but resurrection of SWG still won't happen.

Both SOE and Lucasart washed their hands of SWG and i doubt they or another company is ever going to touch it. There is a time for everything and SWG had its chance for 8 years. 

City Of heroes fans overshadow SWG in every possible way. If that game is never going to come back after such lengthy campaign i dount anyone would bother bringing SWG back. I don't think there is  enough excitement or fanbase to make that effort a wothwhile effort.

SWG was still a better game than City of Heroes, but CoH did not have 2 major updates completely changing it. People stayed away fearing a 3rd major change that never happened, plus people were expecting SWTOR to be the holy grail and expecting BW to crush SOEs efforts, which never happened but the opposite and the main people who made BW left . If there was a City of Heroes 2 being relesed after COH closed, I doubt there would have been such a huge support to save it either

• KarahandrasKarahandras Member UncommonPosts: 1,703
    If they did sell any success that would be had would just prove all the lies, mistakes etc. were just that, so I doubt they'll ever risk it.

SWG was still a better game than City of Heroes, but CoH did not have 2 major updates completely changing it. People stayed away fearing a 3rd major change that never happened, plus people were expecting SWTOR to be the holy grail and expecting BW to crush SOEs efforts, which never happened but the opposite and the main people who made BW left . If there was a City of Heroes 2 being relesed after COH closed, I doubt there would have been such a huge support to save it either

BETTER is subjective so not getting into that argument with you. But the dedication that COH fanbase showed to try to save the game is well known. SWG just doesn't have that. No company likes to throw their money into a pit. And tht is what SWG is a deep  dark money pit.

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987

SWG was killed

SWTOR is good enough

I love back and forth arguments but i am capable of doing so without assigning labels on others Maybe it is me but i do not understand how a simple video game can make someone so spiteful and angry? i dislike a lot of MMOS, it is a natural thing really. But my dislike stays to the game. Even if i have an issue with couple of players from the community i will still never just generalise entire playerbase. 

Also could you please stop assuming things about me? only because i called you out doesn't mean i have low  self image or that i consider myself a drone. 

I just enjoy it more when people are more focused on the game and not on its playerbase. Just sucks all the fun out of discussion. People who are playing SWTOR probably thousands of them don't even know you exist. They are simply having fun. I doubt they are doing so to hurt you.

It is really silly and self centered of you to insult them for not giving a shit about the integrity of something that you care about even though they don't even know you. 

I didn't say the injury was intentional, but the damage still occurs. If you play the game, you are supporting it. If you give them money, that much worse. How do you seperate the blood from the body?

Bomb dropped on ball bearings factory cripples tank production, kills civilian workers in the process. I cant criticize the game without collateral damage.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

I didn't say the injury was intentional, but the damage still occurs. If you play the game, you are supporting it. If you give them money, that much worse. How do you seperate the blood from the body?

I see you are still trying to justify it. I would understand your anger more if they were doing so just to spite you but it is not about you.