Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    good find , companies are in it to make money and Lucusarts wasnt bringing in any bread. It wouldnt surprise me if Disney raised the prices now of the IP and license on games like SWTOR because they stated they would much rather rent out the license instead. One thing you can count on with Disney , they are going to maximise profit. If they are not making money off of it , it will not be around much longer. If they are smart they will charge more money for the license in the face of all these failing star wars games out there. None of them seem to do well long term , I see any future star wars license having contracts that involve disney also in directions of the games honestly to.
  • PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784

"Ironically, many of the games for which LucasArts is best remembered for are not Star Wars games. Its genre-defining '90s adventure games created by Ron Gilbert and DoubleFine's Tim Schafer like The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango are all still celebrated by fans to this day."

Those are my fondest memoris of LucasArts.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    it sucks when people lose their jobs. But as long as Disney dont make Star Wars kinect 2 they can do whatever they want with the IP.

• kostoslavkostoslav Member UncommonPosts: 455
    Monkey Island :_(
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    I wonder if now that one of the parties will be gone if we will ever get the truth about SWG
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

This is probably good news actually. With Lucus Arts out of the way Disney is free to distribute IP licenses to much better developers than LA has been in recent years. This could mean that some long forgotten IP's like Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion could make a comeback in some form or another as well if some developer has a notion to use them. Also this could mean that some quality Star Wars games could be made as well including the long awaited Battlefront III. This could be good for all of the IPs currently held by Lucus Arts/Disney.

P.S. And a Tomb Raider style Indiana Jones game wouldn't be half bad either if done right. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• Harbinger1975Harbinger1975 Member UncommonPosts: 244
    Does this mean there is a possibility that SoE could bring back SWG?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Grim Fandango..what a classic adventure game. I still play it from time to time.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Did Lucas Arts have any hand in that ridiculous star wars dance game for kinect?

If so, they deserve a fate far worse than just being shut down.  All involved in its creation deserve to be banned from all aspects of game development.......for eternity. 

• Sal1Sal1 Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Originally posted by Psychow

"Ironically, many of the games for which LucasArts is best remembered for are not Star Wars games. Its genre-defining '90s adventure games created by Ron Gilbert and DoubleFine's Tim Schafer like The Secret of Monkey Island, Day of the Tentacle, and Grim Fandango are all still celebrated by fans to this day."

I loved many LucasArts Star Wars games. Here are a few - Dark Forces, Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic. 

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by ScorpionOne

There was never a possibility before and there is no possibility now. They shut it for a reason.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DalekThayDalekThay Member Posts: 52

I hope those who were let go find new jobs soon. Always sucks to hear such things, especially about a company which produced some of my favorite games of all time.

That being said, I'm hoping this means Disney will be clamping down hard on quality control, seeing as how piss poor the last few Star Wars games have been (excluding the excellent LEGO series, of course). Here's hoping someone gets the license and makes another X-Wing / TIE Fighter game (oh please oh please oh please).

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

:(

They made some classic games. Will be missed.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by Maephisto

Did Lucas Arts have any hand in that ridiculous star wars dance game for kinect?

If so, they deserve a fate far worse than just being shut down.  All involved in its creation deserve to be banned from all aspects of game development.......for eternity. 

The last game published by LucasArts as a company is the sub-par Kinect Star Wars.

So yeah, interesting article and seems pretty rightfull closure..

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I hope they bring it back, but put it in the hands of a company that doesn't rip everyone off, and actually knows how to run/fix/update games.

• PocketprotectorgamesPocketprotectorgames Member Posts: 22

They don't make 'em like they used to.

• spizzspizz Member UncommonPosts: 1,971
    StarWars is such a great theme and in all the years since the 90ies most of the games they did release were just mediocre....pff
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Its hilarious how gamers can celebrate the end of a gaming company.

Less gaming companies means just one thing for gamers - less choice. Which means the remaining companies can feed you even worse crap.

So yeah, no matter how much you hate  specific gaming company - dont celebrate its loss. For you havent gained anything with this event.

And besides, its not just LucasArts who had a poor record recently.

• firefly2003firefly2003 Member UncommonPosts: 2,527
    Originally posted by cronius77
    good find , companies are in it to make money and Lucusarts wasnt bringing in any bread. It wouldnt surprise me if Disney raised the prices now of the IP and license on games like SWTOR because they stated they would much rather rent out the license instead. One thing you can count on with Disney , they are going to maximise profit. If they are not making money off of it , it will not be around much longer. If they are smart they will charge more money for the license in the face of all these failing star wars games out there. None of them seem to do well long term , I see any future star wars license having contracts that involve disney also in directions of the games honestly to.

What Star Wars games ? Or really you mean The Old Republic is really the only failure Ive seen in a long time.

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

There was never a possibility before and there is no possibility now. They shut it for a reason.

I wouldn't say that word is in June SOE and Disney are going to start negotiations to revitalize a former canceled project SWG2 or bringing back SWG I won't get any more info till then though about this meeting. Once I have word what this project is which it has something to do with Star Wars I will let everyone know trust me on that.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Sal1
    Originally posted by Psychow

I loved many LucasArts Star Wars games. Here are a few - Dark Forces, Dark Forces II - Jedi Knight, Jedi Outcast, Jedi Academy, Knights of the Old Republic. 

Sorry, but those games were licensed out and not physically developed by Lucas Arts themselves.

Knights of the Old Republic for instance, was developed by Bioware in a time when they were still a great independent studio. Hence, why they got the licesne and came with SW:TOR.

Originally posted by firefly2003
    Originally posted by cronius77

What Star Wars games ? Or really you mean The Old Republic is really the only failure Ive seen in a long time.

SW:TOR was a joint venture between EA/Bioware and LucasArts... and we all know how that end up to be?

Star Wars Kinect was the last fully developed game by Lucas Arts and was a horrible failure. Terrible game that got burned on the stake with bad reviews!

Sorry, but nothing good has come out of LucasArts in a long long time and Disney knows it.... hence why they close it down!

If LucasArts was succesful with actually making decent games, Disney would not have shut it down.

Disney is owner of various game studios themselves (they have acquired over the years or startup themselves) and LucasArts could have easily been added if it would have been a worthwhile asset. But it is not... and so it got shut down.

SWG was shut down due to licensing fees , Bioware offered Lucasarts to pay them 20% more for the use of the Star Wars license, so Lucasarts thought "Hmm. Maybe we can raise the license costs to Sony Online Enterainment cause Bioware pays us more ..." so Lucasarts demanded more money for the license from SOE and they tried to negotiate a fair price but Lucasarts wouldn't budge hence the announcement of July 2012 announcing the game was going to be "sunsetted" . That is internal info and the offical account of what happened the whole "no competition clause with EA/Bioware was nonsense" it all came down to Lucasarts greed and would even try to negotiate with SOE trying to extort 20% more money for the license cause Bioware offered to pay that much.

I was pretty shocked when I was told this info but oh well Lucasarts got what was coming to them in the end.  Its bad that the developers and support staff lost their jobs but the top management their greed and over excessive control the the IPs they had ran themselves into the ground.

Originally posted by firefly2003

SWG was shut down due to licensing fees , Bioware offered Lucasarts to pay them 20% more for the use of the Star Wars license, so Lucasarts thought "Hmm. Maybe we can raise the license costs to Sony Online Enterainment cause Bioware pays us more ..." so Lucasarts demanded more money for the license from SOE and they tried to negotiate a fair price but Lucasarts wouldn't budge hence the announcement of July 2012 announcing the game was going to be "sunsetted" . That is internal info and the offical account of what happened the whole "no competition clause with EA/Bioware was nonsense" it all came down to Lucasarts greed and would even try to negotiate with SOE trying to extort 20% more money for the license cause Bioware offered to pay that much.

I was pretty shocked when I was told this info but oh well Lucasarts got what was coming to them in the end.  Its bad that the developers and support staff lost their jobs but the top management their greed and over excessive control the the IPs they had ran themselves into the ground.

It's not really internal info tho..... as John Smedly himself was pretty open about it in a public interview, telling the truth about Lucas Arts raising the price on the License renewal and that he had to balance it against what SWG was currently bringing in at that time and saw he would start to lose money if he would renew the license. So he had no other choice then to close it down.

So yeah.... but I think the truth really wasn't that EA/Bioware paid more, but as SW:TOR was a joint venture and so the stakes being high for LucasArts themselves.... they desperately wanted any form of competition out of the way before launch, to maximize box sales.

So they raised the price on the license renewal for SWG to such extend that they knew SOE would budge down and not renew it.

• causscauss Member UncommonPosts: 666
    LucasArts created my favorite western game ever, Outlaws. Plus they made some amazing games back in the day. Sad :[