Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With Disney buyiing SW....any chance of resurrection?

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    I wouldn't expect Disney to get into the sandbox MMO market anytime soon, unless of course the industry as a whole shifts that direction.  Disney is all about accessibility though, so any game they make will likely be targeted towards a youth / teen market, where SWG was always a bit more "grown up", even if only by accident.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I recently read a research paper which conluded that holding ones breath actually helps generate a desired outcome. So, if all of the SWG "vets" would simultaneously hold their breath until this happens, I'm sure you'll have the game you seek in no time.

Give it a shot, please.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    I wouldn't expect Disney to get into the sandbox MMO market anytime soon, unless of course the industry as a whole shifts that direction.  Disney is all about accessibility though, so any game they make will likely be targeted towards a youth / teen market, where SWG was always a bit more "grown up", even if only by accident.

As far as Disney are concerned they said that they are just focussing on mobile devices, but will let other companies create games with their IP for console / PC, so it will be whatever other companies want to do.

• Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

I recently read a research paper which conluded that holding ones breath actually helps generate a desired outcome. So, if all of the SWG "vets" would simultaneously hold their breath until this happens, I'm sure you'll have the game you seek in no time.

Give it a shot, please.

here is a better idea, if you dont like the fact that people want a game they loved back, then dont go into threads about it and read it. this way we dont have to listen yo your stupidity and you dont have to listen to us haveing our hopes no matter how small.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• hikaru77hikaru77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,123
    It wont happen. Probably they will put more money on swtor, or PS4 games.  
  • SlampigSlampig Member UncommonPosts: 2,342

That Guild Wars 2 login screen knocked up my wife. Must be the second coming!

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300
    Originally posted by Silky303
    ?

Most large scale companies are scared to take a chance with a sandbox game, that's why we see so many fail sandboxes, they are launched by fly by night companies.  Theme parks bore me...but they are a sure buck for developers...that said, I'd love to see a massive SW sandbox, but I don't expect it.

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

Originally posted by superniceguy

As far as Disney are concerned they said that they are just focussing on mobile devices, but will let other companies create games with their IP for console / PC, so it will be whatever other companies want to do.

It will be whatever other companies want to do with Disney looking over their shoulder and telling them what not to do.  I don't know if you are aware of this, but Disney is notorious for being ridiculously strict with their IP licensing. 

I'd love to be wrong on this one, but if anything, having Disney own Star Wars is probably a negative for the gaming market, especially MMOs.  Thought it is hard to imagine someone screwing up as hard as Bioware did with TOR.  What we should all pray for is a quick sunset of TOR so someone else has a shot in the next 5+ years.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

Originally posted by SirBalin
    ?

Most large scale companies are scared to take a chance with a sandbox game, that's why we see so many fail sandboxes, they are launched by fly by night companies.  Theme parks bore me...but they are a sure buck for developers...that said, I'd love to see a massive SW sandbox, but I don't expect it.

Smed is our only hope, with EQ Next. If that turns out to be the "biggest Sandbox MMO" as he says and turns into the #1 MMO, then we should see many sandbox games coming out left right and center

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by hikaru77
    It wont happen. Probably they will put more money on swtor, or PS4 games.  

Well it depends on if they buy the line coming out of Bioware these days (2nd largest Western MMO according to Ohlen), or at least think that the public buys that. It would be a mistake for them to put money into SWTOR, I could see them just letting it run though.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by Xobdnas

I see nothing but continued darkness in the future for SWG, but fear not, there is another, her name is Camelot Unchained.

How does Camelot Unchained have anything to do with Star Wars? Also, isn't that game due out in 2015?

Originally posted by WhiteLantern

Give it a shot, please.

You are witnessing the power of the martyr. Feel free to beat your head against this wall if you want, but the powerful love of a greater former over a stupid replacement is significant.

• OziiusOziius Member UncommonPosts: 1,406
    Originally posted by SirBalin
    ?

Smed is our only hope, with EQ Next. If that turns out to be the "biggest Sandbox MMO" as he says and turns into the #1 MMO, then we should see many sandbox games coming out left right and center

I am resting a lot of hope into EQ Next. I really hope it turns out well. 

• easternstormeasternstorm Member Posts: 76
    i say we all chip in and get swg a tombstone its not gonna be resurected =(

It will be whatever other companies want to do with Disney looking over their shoulder and telling them what not to do.  I don't know if you are aware of this, but Disney is notorious for being ridiculously strict with their IP licensing. 

I'd love to be wrong on this one, but if anything, having Disney own Star Wars is probably a negative for the gaming market, especially MMOs.  Thought it is hard to imagine someone screwing up as hard as Bioware did with TOR.  What we should all pray for is a quick sunset of TOR so someone else has a shot in the next 5+ years.

Considering Disney have not done anything (game-wise) with SW yet, who knows?

From what I read of Disney they will let other companies do whatever they like with Star Wars, as long as it is within reason, but will not be breathing down devs necks like LA did.

Originally posted by Praetalus

I see nothing but continued darkness in the future for SWG, but fear not, there is another, her name is Camelot Unchained.

How does Camelot Unchained have anything to do with Star Wars? Also, isn't that game due out in 2015?

The CU people are grasping onto that game like it's their everything.  The steam will run out in about six months when they realize the game won't be around for at least another year and a half after that.  Let them have their fun.  ;)

Originally posted by Praetalus

The CU people are grasping onto that game like it's their everything.  The steam will run out in about six months when they realize the game won't be around for at least another year and a half after that.  Let them have their fun.  ;)

One thing that SWG and Camelot Unchained have in common is the letters CU (Combat Upgrade).

When I first read your post there, I thought CU would be like the CU! (your use of CU is for Camelot Uchained and not Combat Upgrade) Doh!

• FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311
    Originally posted by ignore_me
    Originally posted by FromHell
    Originally posted by echolynfan

IF it were to be ressurrected the only way it would work would be to completely overhaul the game engine/mechanics while keeping the basic content intact. No company (IMO) would invest in a previously failed game and bringing back the original game would be out of the question.

The only possibility I see remotely happening is SOE re-introducing the game as it was and changing a few things: number of characters per account would have to be increased and/or it woulld have to be F2P.

I loved SWG - the only true MMO in my gaming life :)

No. For that we have the fan project.

I want nothing less than Star Wars Galaxies "Next" from SOE, like they are doing Everquest Next.

I want Star Wars in their amazing Forgelight engine, not a half finished Alpha engine like SWTOR has

I want a Star Wars MMO which looks like Star Wars, not like a cartoon sci fi version of WoW

Help us Disney, you are our last hope, go talk to SOE

I'm aware of the fan project but it's only good if you have the original discs so that doesn't bode well for new players.

The new upcoming movie (if done well and I do believe with J.J. Abrans at the helm it will) will spawn a re-interest in the franchise which MAY help but that's a big IF.

Complex games like SWG are unfortunately being swept aside in favor of shallow games designed now for mobile apps - iPad...etc. 

Disney just needs to act and give SOE a license to the IP.

Every SWG hater continues to say that TOR is not supposed to be SWG2, then there would be no competition between these two titles anyway!

If they did that SWTOR would die. Any alongside comparison to another SW MMO would quickly reveal the terrible and legion flaws of SWTOR, even to the drones.

So what? Survival of the fittest in the MMO market. Better have two totally different Star Wars MMOs on the market than one.

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

If they did that SWTOR would die. Any alongside comparison to another SW MMO would quickly reveal the terrible and legion flaws of SWTOR, even to the drones.

So what? Survival of the fittest in the MMO market. Better have two totally different Star Wars MMOs on the market than one.

That's my point. There is no way in hell that anyone who has any stake in SWTOR wants to see a new SW MMO come out. SWTOR has primacy right now, which is it's only advantage. As a product it is weak, and without the SW IP to distinguish it, it would die fast.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

IF it were to be ressurrected the only way it would work would be to completely overhaul the game engine/mechanics while keeping the basic content intact. No company (IMO) would invest in a previously failed game and bringing back the original game would be out of the question.

The only possibility I see remotely happening is SOE re-introducing the game as it was and changing a few things: number of characters per account would have to be increased and/or it woulld have to be F2P.

I loved SWG - the only true MMO in my gaming life :)

No. For that we have the fan project.

I want nothing less than Star Wars Galaxies "Next" from SOE, like they are doing Everquest Next.

I want Star Wars in their amazing Forgelight engine, not a half finished Alpha engine like SWTOR has

I want a Star Wars MMO which looks like Star Wars, not like a cartoon sci fi version of WoW

Help us Disney, you are our last hope, go talk to SOE

I'm aware of the fan project but it's only good if you have the original discs so that doesn't bode well for new players.

The new upcoming movie (if done well and I do believe with J.J. Abrans at the helm it will) will spawn a re-interest in the franchise which MAY help but that's a big IF.

Complex games like SWG are unfortunately being swept aside in favor of shallow games designed now for mobile apps - iPad...etc. 

Disney just needs to act and give SOE a license to the IP.

Every SWG hater continues to say that TOR is not supposed to be SWG2, then there would be no competition between these two titles anyway!

Its been over a year now and people already know about the flaws of SWTOR MMO. Majority of them have moved on while those who enjoy SWTOR despiste of its flaws are playing it and enjoying it. Your whole premises is based on wishful thinking that if another SW MMO is made it is going to be amazing. Chances are no matter how good its going to be it will never satisfy SW fans. SWG couldn't. So chances are that it will end up as another average SW MMO or closed down like SWG.

I understand your anger towards Bioware because they have wronged you in most un imaginable ways but do you really have to insult those who enjoy SWTOR by putting labels on them? why do you do that? how would you feel if i insult you simply because you enjoy something i don't? too hard t make a point without generalising and insulting SWTOR playerbase?

Some serious growing up is in order here.

Originally posted by Bigdaddyx

Its been over a year now and people already know about the flaws of SWTOR MMO. Majority of them have moved on while those who enjoy SWTOR despiste of its flaws are playing it and enjoying it. Your whole premises is based on wishful thinking that if another SW MMO is made it is going to be amazing. Chances are no matter how good its going to be it will never satisfy SW fans. SWG couldn't. So chances are that it will end up as another average SW MMO or closed down like SWG.

I understand your anger towards Bioware because they have wronged you in most un imaginable ways but do you really have to insult those who enjoy SWTOR by putting labels on them? why do you do that? how would you feel if i insult you simply because you enjoy something i don't? too hard t make a point without generalising and insulting SWTOR playerbase?

Some serious growing up is in order here.

You need a stronger self-image if some anonymous poster on the internet saying game that you like sucks, bothers you. What label did I put on anyone?

It wouldn't be hard for them to make another SW MMO and have it be better than SWTOR, so my premise is actually probable in that way, but I didn't say I thought it was likely that they would make one. I like this part of your argument:

SWG was killed

No SW game will be good enough

SWTOR is good enough

I spend some time posting about SWTOR, this is a far cry from the amount of time I would have spent playing a worthwhile SW MMO, so to me Bioware created this vacant time allotment where I go on the internet (to multiple sites) and express my displeasure with their crappy game. Unintended consequences.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Nope.

SWG = Failure

SWTOR = Failure

Both SW games in a row were failures. 

Yes, i know SOME of you loved SWG, but SOME of you love SW:TOR... Willing to be SW:TOR sold more copies and had more active subs than SWG ever did.  Again, maybe some of you loved SWG but that isn't enough to justify the massive costs of building a new game.

Personally, I would love to see a quality SciFi Space / Future MMO.  But they all seem to fail.  Too many nerds want orcs and elves and not enough people interested in modern of future setting.

I had hopes for Titan until recently when I started reading details about it being set in a fantasy world and possibly having Warcraft lore tie-ins which obviously means orcs, goblins, elves, and such...

Originally posted by Painlezz

Nope.

SWG = Failure

SWTOR = Failure

Both SW games in a row were failures. 

Yes, i know SOME of you loved SWG, but SOME of you love SW:TOR... Willing to be SW:TOR sold more copies and had more active subs than SWG ever did.  Again, maybe some of you loved SWG but that isn't enough to justify the massive costs of building a new game.

SWG was more of a success, it only started to fail after NGE, and the main reason why people did not want to touch it after NGE was the worry of the rug being pulled again, but despite that it did not have any server closures or merges until 2009, that is 3-4 years after the NGE, and 6 years after launch. SWG was great through the sum of its parts, as it had many features that no other game or MMO has had or ever will get, and was still being tweaked / updated / improved / more polished right up until the servers closed. SOE did more for SWG in 2011 than EA has done for SWTOR since it released. In 2011 it started to pick up again, as NGE started to become history.

SWTOR may have sold 2 million copies, but that was all mainly at launch, and they are not selling any now, as it is just a matter of creating an account and downloading the client and then playing for free, whereas SWG kept selling the game for 8 solid years and never went F2P. Also many people who played SWG subbed multiple accounts, but there is no need for SWTOR. Whilst SWTOR had more subbed players iniitually, I doubt it will do overall / in the end.

Resurrecting SWG should not cost anything as the game is already written, just needs to be officially put on servers and operated.

• BigdaddyxBigdaddyx Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

You need a stronger self-image if some anonymous poster on the internet saying game that you like sucks, bothers you. What label did I put on anyone?

It wouldn't be hard for them to make another SW MMO and have it be better than SWTOR, so my premise is actually probable in that way, but I didn't say I thought it was likely that they would make one. I like this part of your argument:

SWG was killed

No SW game will be good enough

SWTOR is good enough

I spend some time posting about SWTOR, this is a far cry from the amount of time I would have spent playing a worthwhile SW MMO, so to me Bioware created this vacant time allotment where I go on the internet (to multiple sites) and express my displeasure with their crappy game. Unintended consequences.

My disapproval of your generalisation and insulting SWTOR fans by using terms as 'drones' has nothing to do with my lack of strong self image. Only because it is internet and we are all anonymous doesn't mean we have free reign to act like an ass. People get away with a lot in name of anonymity on internet. For me however how you act on internt is just an extension of your real life self. Unless we are roleplaying here? why is it so difficult to give your opinion without using labels and insults? it is a legitimate question.

And where did i say SWTOR is good enough? did you miss the part where i said chances are that another SW MMO will just end up being average or shut down?

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652

SWG was not really more of a success than SWTOR , it had a dedicated fan base but I dont even think those numbers equaled the box sales alone of swtor. Also SWTOR is still going and they claim to be making a lot more money now so the jury technically is still out on SWTOR compared to SWG.

Also Disney is shutting down lucasarts ,  why would they ever bring back SOE into the mix? Also why would SOE fire back up the servers and have to pay devs to continue to develop content and bug fixes etc for a game that was almost dead to begin with when it was shut down? People here are very jaded when it comes to games they really loved , this game didnt do all that good from begining until the end , The constant warping from patch to patch of combat systems , classes, and adding levels proved that.