Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Defiance is coming out in a few days. General consensus on it?

1235»

Comments

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521

Game isn't bad, but its shallow on multiple levels.  For instance...

1) decent shooter mechanics, but it suffers from being a 3rd person shooter with no cover mechanics; which feels archaic

2) character customization is lacking

3) character development is lacking, the ego system is pretty weak and boring

4) the non storyline missions are super generic and lame

5) the interface for the PC is terrible, ala DCUO

6) the community stuff (ie clan options, chat, etc) is half assed at best; and just plain terrible by most standards

7) PvP was a disaster in beta.  Rocket hopping nonsense.  No real purpose.  Guns are horribly imbalanced.

It is fun though, at least initially.. You can probably get your $60 worth out of it by playing through the storyline and exploring the game for a could weeks. But will very many people still be sticking with it 2-3 months down the road?  I doubt it.

My biggest issue with it is that it's really hard to justify playing it over something like Borderlands 2 with a couple friends.  The MMO aspects are not well designed enough or appealing enough to exceed the lesser gameplay quality.

• SpottyGekkoSpottyGekko Member EpicPosts: 6,916
    Originally posted by Draemos

<snip> 

It is fun though, at least initially.. You can probably get your $60 worth out of it by playing through the storyline and exploring the game for a could weeks. But will very many people still be sticking with it 2-3 months down the road?  I doubt it.

<snip>

That comment would fit perfectly in the forum of just about every MMO launched since WoW... image

Who cares if "very many people" will still be playing it 2-3 months down the road ? Chances are you'll have finished the content and moved on to the next MMO launch. As long as you had fun, what's the problem ?

And if you're on of those that's still playing THAT game after 2 or 3 months, you'll probably be a bit lonely, because the herd will have moved on to the greener grass just over the hill.

The bulk of modern MMO players seem to treat MMO's as they do single player titles. Hype it to the heavens before launch, play it night and day until you puke after 1 or 2 months, then move on....

• blutigfaustblutigfaust Member UncommonPosts: 129

I played alpha and beta versions...the game got less buggy, but no more fun as time went by. Not worth the $60 price for me.  I plan to watch the tv series, but will let this game pass.

I have to admit, I'm curious to see how the series will do the actuall game/tv-show integration effect. Considering a tv program is usually completely planned before filming even starts. My guess is they have a script that mentions a guild or person that is left blank for now and will dub it in once an event is worth mentioning....although, it'll prob only be a mention in passing , and if not looking for it, will go completely un-noticed. Dont see how the game would/could actullay change the script and filming for TV series.

But good luck to those who do buy it, i hope it meets and exceeds your expectations.

Be well my gamming friends.

Current games playing: MechWarrior Online
    Games being watched:  Project Genom
    Favorite played games: SWG, RomaVictor, and Xsyon

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

Enjoyable enough through the betas.  Im confident ill get $60 worth of game time out of it.  I have concerns about long term playability...however if i dont see it lasting i dont need to buy the DLC content, and can still log in and check the game out from time to time.

Menu and third person view take a few minuets to get use to, anyone with a double diget IQ will be able to master both in a short time, those without will have issues.

The one thing this game desperately needs and will never get is a cross platform world.  The game seems to be highly anticipated and well recieved with the PS3 and Xbox crowds, while the PC crowd seem its typical attitude towards a game everyone knows wont be the most popular kid...i mean game..on the block.  I think if microsoft and sony stopped being douches and let everyone play together the game would be far more entertaining....as im guranteeing that the PC community will move on to the next hyped themepark that comes out.

For a TPS mmo its not half bad, it was more fun than i anticipated, and i really walked into the game expecting it to be overwhelmingly meh...but like i said...i expect the game to have minimal replayability once you get to the end...whatever that end is at least...i dont really see the game being so good as to hook me on every DLC that comes out....but then who knows i never thought i would preorder the game to begin with.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by severius
    Was in the beta, say was because I quit playing a while ago.  Not necessarily a bad game, not a good game just.... just another game.  Maybe there might be something in the writing for some folks, maybe the art style for others.  Nothing stuck with me.  

This is very much how I felt.  The game wasn't bad (aside form the UI, which is bad enough to justify firing the entire dev team), but it lacked anything special to make me want to play.  My first day in beta involved starting it up, getting kind of excited with the intro cutscenes, and the completely being bored in the first training mission thing.  I think it spent more time trying to figure out how to exit the game than i did actually playing, no joke.

You make me like charity

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by SpottyGekko

That comment would fit perfectly in the forum of just about every MMO launched since WoW... image

Who cares if "very many people" will still be playing it 2-3 months down the road ? Chances are you'll have finished the content and moved on to the next MMO launch. As long as you had fun, what's the problem ?

And if you're on of those that's still playing THAT game after 2 or 3 months, you'll probably be a bit lonely, because the herd will have moved on to the greener grass just over the hill.

The bulk of modern MMO players seem to treat MMO's as they do single player titles. Hype it to the heavens before launch, play it night and day until you puke after 1 or 2 months, then move on....

I care.

if that's all  I'm going to get out of an MMO, I'll play single player games with better stories and gameplay.  Longevity and community are pretty important in an MMO.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

Sorry to burst your bubble my friend. But there are actually some MMO's that released after WoW that were decent and are still around!

EverQuest 2 and LOTRO just to name a few. The Secret World is also a great game and I am still playing it 9 months after release.

The Secret World was bad mouthed for having too little content and too little landmass.

Well funny thing is.... the entire current landmass of Defiance fits within Kingsmouth and Savage Coast. That still leaves out Blue Mountain to complete the first continent of TSW and then we still got Egypt and Transylvania, plus 3 city hubs!

TSW has far more landmass and far more content than Defiance and still the hardcore gamers managed to blow through it within a month (or two).

So where does that leave Defiance with it's tiny landmass and tiny amount of content? It will mean a hell lot of people will be done with the available content within one to two weeks and then are pretty much stuck at farming Arkfalls over and over and do some deathmatch PVP (which is horribly imbalanced).

The hardcore crowd will be done within a few days.

I rest my case.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by JeroKane

Sorry to burst your bubble my friend. But there are actually some MMO's that released after WoW that were decent and are still around! EverQuest 2 and LOTRO just to name a few. The Secret World is also a great game and I am still playing it 9 months after release. The Secret World was bad mouthed for having too little content and too little landmass. Well funny thing is.... the entire current landmass of Defiance fits within Kingsmouth and Savage Coast. That still leaves out Blue Mountain to complete the first continent of TSW and then we still got Egypt and Transylvania, plus 3 city hubs! TSW has far more landmass and far more content than Defiance and still the hardcore gamers managed to blow through it within a month (or two). So where does that leave Defiance with it's tiny landmass and tiny amount of content? It will mean a hell lot of people will be done with the available content within one to two weeks and then are pretty much stuck at farming Arkfalls over and over and do some deathmatch PVP (which is horribly imbalanced). The hardcore crowd will be done within a few days. I rest my case.

How can a game, where there are no classes, be imbalanced?

So TSW had more landmass than Defiance?

Didn't know, since the game couldn't hold me for even 5 hours.

Already spend more time in Defiance than TSW.

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

There is none. Different people like different games.

I will watch the show first .. and see if i like the setting. Probably will read some reviews before making up my mind.

I've blown through the whole story mission so far and I've received a lot of flak from the community since I've basically "stopped" playing after that. There are tons of dynamic missions after that, repetitive side missions for exp/mods, Arkfalls, PVP, challenges, etc.

I bought this game thinking it'd be more MMORPG like but it's not, it's just TPS-like. You can continue playing the game at any level with any weapon setup really because higher level weapons are not stronger and rarer weapons are not overly powerful. Being a higher level won't change much even if you get more skills because you're able to fight without them just fine. As for the MMO aspect, the communication is really bad with the chat and the game can easily be played alone (I thought it'd rely on teamwork but I guess even MMORPG's don't really).

I mean, I'm more of a fantasy MMORPG player and I stepped out of my comfort zone to play this sci-fi shooter so that could affect my judgment to not continue on (lack of interest) but I'm sure some players will attempt to hit that 5000 ego rating and get every single achievement out there. It's personal preference really.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356
    I kinda liked it but wont be playing it. 
  • thamighty213thamighty213 Member UncommonPosts: 1,637
    Bought it due to boredom though it had a ok story for the 1 day I played it,  game played quite badly when youve player ME2 or ME3 as much as I have and the UI was atrocious.  Into the gray steam wasteland it goes.
  • majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

Never heard of it.

Looked up some gameplay videos. All I saw was some people running or driving around shooting at other people. Graphics and sound looked ok, but the game seemed very generic on the first glance. So it doesn't have my interested as of now. I doubt that it features anything revolutionaty.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by JeroKane

The Secret World was bad mouthed for having too little content and too little landmass.

Well funny thing is.... the entire current landmass of Defiance fits within Kingsmouth and Savage Coast. That still leaves out Blue Mountain to complete the first continent of TSW and then we still got Egypt and Transylvania, plus 3 city hubs!

TSW has far more landmass and far more content than Defiance and still the hardcore gamers managed to blow through it within a month (or two).

So where does that leave Defiance with it's tiny landmass and tiny amount of content? It will mean a hell lot of people will be done with the available content within one to two weeks and then are pretty much stuck at farming Arkfalls over and over and do some deathmatch PVP (which is horribly imbalanced).

The hardcore crowd will be done within a few days.

I rest my case

Sorry but you look at TSW and the combat mechanics, then look at Defiance.  I can easily put up with less content to have a better overall experience. Funcom screwed up, guns and tab targeting is lame. Defiance is fun, TSW is dull and boring.  I have already clocked up more hours on Defiance both in beta and live play than I ever did in TSW - and somebody gave me the game for free.   Plus a three platform release and a TV show.  TSW ... not in the same breath please, it's pants.

Originally posted by fallenlords Sorry but you look at TSW and the combat mechanics, then look at Defiance.  I can easily put up with less content to have a better overall experience. Funcom screwed up, guns and tab targeting is lame. Defiance is fun, TSW is dull and boring. 

For each their own. TSW for me was the best MMORPG in many years. Defiance while I kinda liked in small amounts, is mediocre MMO shooter

Originally posted by mindw0rk

For each their own. TSW for me was the best MMORPG in many years. Defiance while I kinda liked in small amounts, is mediocre MMO shooter

Well you can certainly tell TSW was never destined for console release from the overall design. Especially when you look at Defiance.  Playing TSW to me was like self flagellation, interesting for a few moments before it became painful.  They kind of forgot the key component to my mind when making it...fun.  Which is kinda ironic from a company called Funcom.  But as you say each to their own, some people don't like fun that much.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by fallenlords Sorry but you look at TSW and the combat mechanics, then look at Defiance.  I can easily put up with less content to have a better overall experience. Funcom screwed up, guns and tab targeting is lame. Defiance is fun, TSW is dull and boring. 

Why the hell every MMO forums has to become a pissing contest? who cares if TSW is better or Defiance is? both MMOS are made for very different type of player base.

Defiance is more akin to a console shooter while TSW is quest based MMORPG with horrible combat . Why even compare the two?

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by fallenlords But as you say each to their own, some people don't like fun that much.

I assume you meant some people find fun in different things. Some in brilliant story. Some in "lemme shoot dat mutant in da face"

Originally posted by fallenlords But as you say each to their own, some people don't like fun that much.

I assume you meant some people find fun in different things. Some in brilliant story. Some in "lemme shoot dat mutant in da face"

No I meant some people don't like fun.  They look for other things in a game, fancy graphics, elaborate story telling, intrigue, mystery, complex design and deep characters etc.  Fun is at the bottom of the list when it comes to gaming for some strange reason.   Fun only seems to be achieved once all the other elements are in place.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

To be fair here once you get out of the cutscenes and story dialouges in any MMO all you do is shoot things in the face. I shot more zombies in face in Kingsmouth in first 10 minutes than i did in first one hour in Defiance.

Atleats get a valid point if you want to put the MMO down.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• findreleasefindrelease Member Posts: 3
    played it at a friends who HAD to have it... not too impressed... there are better! ;)