Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Brought You To MMORPG.com The First Time?

Comments

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I was serching for the most happy, content, satisfied MMO gamer community on the net. Unfortuanately I found a magical internet wormhole and landed here in opposite world...
  • birkenbirken Member Posts: 122
      Eq  brought me to the mmorpg  theme.  I had so much fun exploring and  kitting mobs that are as tall as trees. Then Vanguard for building houses and ships and the huge world to explore. Now i am playing Eldiven a game that bring me back to that great fealing.  I thought all hope was lost with all the new crap. Now mmorpg are alive and well again for me.
  • findreleasefindrelease Member Posts: 3

friends! ;) 

Its great to have 'em! ;)

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Awesome thread, AlBQuirky!
  • ClaumClaum Member Posts: 63
    Google :D
  • MaephistoMaephisto Member Posts: 632

Believe it or not, but back in mid 2010, MMORPG had the best discussions about GW2.  There were some really good posters/contributors back then. 

The discussions were really informative and fun to read. 

The CU sub forum is shaping up to be a similar experience.

Also, I really enjoyed the articles the Coyote wrote.  He should come back if possible.

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Miblet
    I was drawn here after my interest was piqued about a forum where hatred was the norm and halftruths were facts.  A place were people agreed seldomly on subjects other than 'WoW is crap' and hype was built higher than the tallest skyscraper for anything on the horizon.  I found that fabled forum, and dissapoint it did not! It was 3rd when I googled MMO a few years back looking for new MMOs coming out.  It's 5th now!!!
    I have to ask... Was your first paragraph in the search description? :D

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

I fixed the title. I thought I had put "MMORPG.com", but missed the ".com" part. Sorry about that :(

I am enjoying the stories about people's first MMORPG games, though :)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• GreenHellGreenHell Member UncommonPosts: 1,323
    I came here to bitch and complain about SWG NGE and SOE in general. There were a lot of pissed off people back then and we just needed a place to be miserable together. It was like a huge pity party. Kind of amusing looking back on it now.
  • dalewjdalewj Member UncommonPosts: 94

What Brought You To MMORPG.com The First Time?"

It was the boobs on the front page.    You know...... Bill Murphy.....  image

HomePage/Gaming Blog - http://dalewj.com . MMORPGer - Current game: http://AfterWorld.ru .
    Author of Diaries of Afterworld- http://www.jconsult.com/afterworld and the Outside Sci-Fi series- http://www.jconsult.com/outside

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Was trying to find more info on Star wars galaxy and i ended up here. But i was just a lurker back then and didn't register for many years.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• maplestonemaplestone Member UncommonPosts: 3,099

At the time | didn't read very widely about the industry, but my employer was entering pre-bankruptcy death throws at the same time as the publisher of the game I was playing was letting go staff.  So I was feeling particularly empathetic and curious as to what was becoming of people and what they had to say once "free".

So when I saw a link to a column article written by a former community manager, I was very curious to find out what it would say.

• KazaraKazara Member UncommonPosts: 1,086
    Originally posted by GreenHell
    I came here to bitch and complain about SWG NGE and SOE in general. There were a lot of pissed off people back then and we just needed a place to be miserable together. It was like a huge pity party. Kind of amusing looking back on it now.

The SWG NGE debacle was the driving force behind my discovery of this site. It is interesting to note that the SWG sub-forum still attracts a few posters to this day.

• tannim78tannim78 Member UncommonPosts: 91
    I got bored amd started typing crap in google..got here....
  • RoinRoin Member RarePosts: 3,444
    It's been so long I can't even remember how I got here. Might have been word of mouth. Warnings, Temp Bans, Promotions, Key giveaways, crazy topics, new games, old games, etc etc.  Good times.  Long Live MMORPG.com!

In War - Victory.
    In Peace - Vigilance.
    In Death - Sacrifice.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,416
    To be honest I been coming here for so long I do not remember, I think I found the site by one day typing mmorpg.com in my url bar for the hell of it, and been coming here ever since. Good source of info here and I love the forums.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435

Up until 2006 I had always frequented either official gaming sites or fan sponsored ones, always focused only on the game I was currently playing.

But after completing my 2nd run with WOW, just before BC came launched I was bored and looking for a new title to play, and had no idea where to look.

So I typed in MMORPG into Google and up came this site in the listings, logged in and the rest is history.

Pretty much the only website I visit with any frequency, particularly with regards to gaming news.

And I haven't found any site with more interesting forums.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413

I was following the development of Pirates of the Burning Sea by FLS and had been on their forums for a while.

But the fanbois there made it really unpleasent and a change in the Moderation made things almost impossible.

Then FLS themselves twisted the knife at release when they effectively locked out all the Australians and New Zealanders with their screwed up marketing plan (aided by SOE I might add).

This became the un-official forum for PotBS where we could discuss the game and the FLS Fanbois and Moderators couldn't shut us down for saying what we thought.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• NitthNitth Member UncommonPosts: 3,904

Originally posted by AlBQuirky
    Were you searching for info on a specific game?Maybe you came just looking for general info on MMOs in general?Did a friend or guildmate tell you about the site?Did you come across it in a Google (or other search engine) search on MMOs/MMORPGs?Were you bored one day and just type in the web browser "www.mmorpg.com"?(I did the above sometimes, just type in random addresses in the web browser when I got bored...)

What was it that brought you here that very first time?

For me, I originally came before making this account looking for general MMO info back in 2003 when my fun in EQ was waning. I think I did the "bored web address" thing... I don't think I created an account and certainly never participated in discussions :)

A few computers/hard drives later (and lost bookmarks) I found it again and created this account to keep abreast of the MMORPG industry.

What's your story?

They were giving away Fallen Earth copies. So i joined up to reap that reward :)

However, Been lurking since about 05

TSW - AoC - Aion - WOW - EVE - Fallen Earth - Co - Rift - || XNA C# Java Development

• spookydomspookydom Member UncommonPosts: 1,782

Great thread.

I first started coming here in 2006 for the gameslist, I was late to the party really with mmorpg's and WoW was my first. I wanted to see what else was out there when that started getting boring for me.  Really can't remember why I started looking at the forums becasue that was not my thing at that point but I remeber thinking "What a bunch of miserable ba"£$rds!" And soon I was joining in myself and there has not been a day since that I have not logged in to see what is going on here. The endless exposure has made me just as jaded and cynical as everybody else though, some would say it had brordened my mind but I would have to write them a very strongley worded email ;)

Originally posted by spookydom
    Great thread.I first started coming here in 2006 for the gameslist, I was late to the party really with mmorpg's and WoW was my first. I wanted to see what else was out there when that started getting boring for me.  Really can't remember why I started looking at the forums becasue that was not my thing at that point but I remeber thinking "What a bunch of miserable ba"£$rds!" And soon I was joining in myself and there has not been a day since that I have not logged in to see what is going on here. The endless exposure has made me just as jaded and cynical as everybody else though, some would say it had brordened my mind but I would have to write them a very strongley worded email ;)
    I was amazed at the Gamelist Section, myself! I have spent many hours there, myself :)

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• meilirsmeilirs Member UncommonPosts: 33
    I just typed in mmorpg.com because I wanted to see what site was in it. I was just curious, I guess. Don't remember it much but I think I wasn't looking for any info.
  • PAL-18PAL-18 Member UncommonPosts: 844
    Beta key

So, did ESO have a successful launch? Yes, yes it did.By Ryan Getchell on April 02, 2014.
    **On the radar: http://www.cyberpunk.net/ **

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699

I played GW1 from launch (before Prophecies was even Prophecies) with my husband and we enjoyed it a ton. But The Soul Reaping nerf after Nightfall had been out a while was kind of the last straw for me, just one of a long list of changes I wasn't pleased with. So I wanted to find a new game for us to play and at the time my husband was very anti-subscription -- ahead of his time, I suppose. I did some searching around the net and found this place and the very long gamelist as a reference. Been hanging around, off and on, ever since, though I don't think I got around to making an account for quite a while -- but honestly I don't remember.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well I can say I had never heard of the site.  One day Turbine sent an email to all it subscriber base saying to come over here set up an account and get a real nice in game cloak.   So once I got here found it was a good resource for information. 

Turbine then rigged the voting for LOTRO and told all us who set up an account to vote for game of the year on this site and many others.  That first year they did win game of the year, but then after Moria everybody started voting aganst them after they insisted we try to rig the vote again.