Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What Brought You To MMORPG.com The First Time?

AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Were you searching for info on a specific game?
Maybe you came just looking for general info on MMOs in general?
Did a friend or guildmate tell you about the site?
Did you come across it in a Google (or other search engine) search on MMOs/MMORPGs?
Were you bored one day and just type in the web browser "www.mmorpg.com"?
(I did the above sometimes, just type in random addresses in the web browser when I got bored...)

What was it that brought you here that very first time?

For me, I originally came before making this account looking for general MMO info back in 2003 when my fun in EQ was waning. I think I did the "bored web address" thing... I don't think I created an account and certainly never participated in discussions :)

A few computers/hard drives later (and lost bookmarks) I found it again and created this account to keep abreast of the MMORPG industry.

What's your story?

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
- FARGIN_WAR

Comments

• ElsaboltsElsabolts Member RarePosts: 3,476

Computer !

" Life Liberty and the Pursuit of Those Who  Would Threaten It "
                                            MAGA
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

This site was once the #1 for MMORPG independant game journalism.

Its left to be a indutrial shouter and hype generator now, totally lost its credibility.

• BrenicsBrenics Member RarePosts: 1,939
    Originally posted by Elsabolts

Computer !

LOL thats funny. I found IGN Vault was getting boring and not really covering most of the games. So I came here. I like how they cover all the games and the reviews they give on the site.

I'm not perfect but I'm always myself!

Star Citizen – The Extinction Level Event

4/13/15 > ELE has been updated look for 16-04-13.

http://www.dereksmart.org/2016/04/star-citizen-the-ele/

Enjoy and know the truth always comes to light!

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505
    Was looking for new MMORPGs online after i had finished playing anarchy online.
  • AbimorAbimor Member RarePosts: 874
    To be honest I dont remember how I found this site but I have been checking it almost every day for a long time. I still think it is a good site to come and get info from, and to be honest it is fun to read some of the posts and see the stance people take on certain games that i have played like swtor.
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432

Originally posted by Elsabolts
    Computer !
    I always forget the simplest answers! LOL

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

I was drawn here after my interest was piqued about a forum where hatred was the norm and halftruths were facts.  A place were people agreed seldomly on subjects other than 'WoW is crap' and hype was built higher than the tallest skyscraper for anything on the horizon.  I found that fabled forum, and dissapoint it did not!

It was 3rd when I googled MMO a few years back looking for new MMOs coming out.  It's 5th now!!!

• LeaningKidGokuLeaningKidGoku Member Posts: 41

Well, I use to mainly go to MMOHut because I loved their reviews, they were really on point. But one faithful day, a friend told me about this game coming out called, Phantasy Star Universe 2, so I checked MMOHut and they had nothing about it at all. -__- 

So like what any smart guy in need for information, I searched google, This site was first, so I clicked, now I am here. ^_^

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

I started coming to this site in 2005 in search of a new MMO home after WOW began heading in a direction that I was not comfortable with. I am very thankful I did as mmorpg.com led me to discover the MMO I would eventually spend more time playing than any other video game in my life: EVE.

Thanks mmorpg.com.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

I just used to resolve on-line quests, it was just quests, not even a mini game.

so once I did search for more quests, and got link to game with "tons of quests", it was runesape.=D
    I had no idea what on-line MMO is and never wanted to play any, but got hooked.

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    I was messing around one day and just decided to put mmorpg.com in my url bar....and the rest is history :)  I was expecting to see one of those stupid, "give us a million dollars and this domain could be yours" sites.  Glad it didn't show that hehe.
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

I got sucked in by accident.

I started gaming online (not counting offline gaming prior), back when Quake 1 released, then I played shooters for a very long time both casually and competitively.  One day, back when buying a game via box was the only way to get one, I was browsing through games at a store.  I saw the words Star Wars, and picked up the box.  It was Star Wars Galaxies.  The box made it sound awesome, and it was Star Wars, so I bought it.

When I first spawned into the game, I was met immediately by another player who had been playing a while. He asked me if I would like to go adventuring with him to learn a bit about the game, and to get some XP, so I joined him.  I had an absolute blast, and was blown away not only by the virtual world, but by the other player's friendship and generosity.  Coming from FPS games where all anyone did was kill each other, this was amazing to me.  I was fully emersed in the the experience, and that emmerision didn't stop until the NGE, years later.

What struck me about my time in SWG, more than anything else, was the power that a good in-game community has to be a larger part of content creation.  I've seen nothing like it since, though I am aware other people had similar experiences in sandbox / hybrid games back then.  This experience is also my biggest trouble now, because I know how fun and rich an MMO game can be if it is designed to let the players be a lot (not all) of the content. 

I'm waiting for another game to come along and bring back that sense of creating my own story, community, etc.  Today's games are always trying to force-feed you their idea of how the game should be played, and what story is told, rather than letting the players decide.  I'm glad to see so many people becoming sick of this now.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I was looking for information on STO shortly after it was announced.

MMORPG.com, I just can't quit you.

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• ArclanArclan Member UncommonPosts: 1,550

Originally posted by MindTrigger
    ...What struck me about my time in SWG, more than anything else, was the power that a good in-game community has to be a larger part of content creation.  I've seen nothing like it since, though I am aware other people had similar experiences in sandbox / hybrid games back then.  This experience is also my biggest trouble now, because I know how fun and rich an MMO game can be if it is designed to let the players be a lot (not all) of the content. I'm waiting for another game to come along and bring back that sense of creating my own story, community, etc.  Today's games are always trying to force-feed you their idea of how the game should be played, and what story is told, rather than letting the players decide.  I'm glad to see so many people becoming sick of this now.

Brilliantly said and spot on!

Luckily, i don't need you to like me to enjoy video games. -nariusseldon.
    In F2P I think it's more a case of the game's trying to play the player's. -laserit

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

I got sucked in by accident.

I started gaming online (not counting offline gaming prior), back when Quake 1 released, then I played shooters for a very long time both casually and competitively.  One day, back when buying a game via box was the only way to get one, I was browsing through games at a store.  I saw the words Star Wars, and picked up the box.  It was Star Wars Galaxies.  The box made it sound awesome, and it was Star Wars, so I bought it.

When I first spawned into the game, I was met immediately by another player who had been playing a while. He asked me if I would like to go adventuring with him to learn a bit about the game, and to get some XP, so I joined him.  I had an absolute blast, and was blown away not only by the virtual world, but by the other player's friendship and generosity.  Coming from FPS games where all anyone did was kill each other, this was amazing to me.  I was fully emersed in the the experience, and that emmerision didn't stop until the NGE, years later.

What struck me about my time in SWG, more than anything else, was the power that a good in-game community has to be a larger part of content creation.  I've seen nothing like it since, though I am aware other people had similar experiences in sandbox / hybrid games back then.  This experience is also my biggest trouble now, because I know how fun and rich an MMO game can be if it is designed to let the players be a lot (not all) of the content. 

I'm waiting for another game to come along and bring back that sense of creating my own story, community, etc.  Today's games are always trying to force-feed you their idea of how the game should be played, and what story is told, rather than letting the players decide.  I'm glad to see so many people becoming sick of this now.

This is very close to my story.  SWG was my first MMO as I didn't care much for fantasy with my decades of D&D table top experiance.  I am a big time Star Wars Fan and knew SWG was going to be something big to me.  Its chaotic history eventually landed me here in a search for unfiltered knowledge.  Got it in spades here.

Additionally: I played through the NGE to what SWG became in the end.  That game is still miles above in challenge, complexity and fun(for me) than any crap pumped out today.

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202
    I first started checking out mmorpg.com when I discovered mmorpg's and wanted to see if there were other games like daoc (I barely knew muds, uo , and eq existed until after I found daoc. 
  • FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    I think the first time I came to this site was around when WoW launched. I was looking for a game after ToA came out and ruined DAoC for me and typed MMORPG in the search engine. Had some interesting articles, a nice game list and an active forum. I forgot my user name and password from way back when so I had to make this new one when I came back into looking for another mmo recently. Back then most games had a free trial so I would search through them trying to find a game to try out before purchaseing it. Never found a game I really enjoyed though so I kind of forgot about MMO's for years until Rift came out, which grabbed my attention and brought me back into the genre. Still havent found a game that can hold me longer than a few months, but I will keep looking.
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

i used to hang out at rpgdot.com but much of the team moved to http://www.rpgwatch.com/

I eventually hung out here instead ;)

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    looking for mmorpgs, i googled mmorpg and this site showed up.

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I feel the more MMOs I play the more I find my memory is the biggest causalty.  Hm....I remember trying to figure out if I should play EQ2, WoW, or LOTRO.  I was lurking around the forums of each of those games and think I found this site by accident. Eventually I went with LOTRO and feel I made the right choice.

• free2playfree2play Member UncommonPosts: 2,043

I played SWG. It was a video game to me but people kept calling it an MMORPG so that's what I typed in to Google. Honest I don't think this site came up on first page and the places that did were less than usefull so I did what anyone would do. just added .com to the end of it. They kind of got dibs on the address and the site proved to be usefull.

I did the same with my handle many years ago. I ended up at a gambling site. No idea where it goes now.

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    33.6 kbits modem, irc channel, and passion for tabletop RPGs. Someone linked me Ultima Online. I played MUDs before. That's how it started.
  • BrenelaelBrenelael Member UncommonPosts: 3,821

When I was a clan leader in Lineage II way back in late 2004 my second in command suggested I come here instead of L2Blah to get a more moderate forum to read about game tips and features. I came here and have been here ever since although I lurked for about 2 years before actually creating an account. What spurred me to create an account was that I was getting a little tired of all of the SWG vets flogging SOE in any thread where it was mentioned even if it had absolutely nothing to do with SOE or SWG. When this started to creep into even the L2 forums I had enough and had to create an account to tell them to... Well what I told them back then would probably get me banned now so I'll leave it up to your imaginations. image

Bren

while(horse==dead)
    {
    beat();
    }

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

I can't remember when I first used the site, but I do know that I was definitely using it as resource to find new games to play, I never really posted at the site until recently, the reason for this is that I use to like going blind into a game, only knowing the bare minimum, but I really don't have the free time for that anymore :(, and the number of games to play is exponentially increasing, it's a valuable resource to me in the context of games and posters, for information and research.

What's nice is that more and more developers are coming and openly speaking at the site, which is a good thing in most cases.

• Punk999Punk999 Member UncommonPosts: 882
    Wanted to read more opinions on EQ2 never got in the beta for it. Was in the beta for WoW tho. image

"Negaholics are people who become addicted to negativity and self-doubt, they find fault in most things and never seem to be satisfied."
    ^MMORPG.com