Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

This game is amazing!

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry HampshirePosts: 6,288Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ
    Originally posted by Hodo
    Originally posted by Nekky_Fate
    I played alpha and beta, ended up uninstalling both. Game gets repetitive and boring after a while. PvP is just people with rockets bunny hopping around. I had high hopes for this game but I will save my $100 for something else.

This was about my feelings on the game.

Even if I ignored the PvP, it was mostly a bunch of the samething already out on the market. 

I can understand if the game is not your cup of tea.

But seriously. Name a MMO that is like Defiance.

You might say APB or Global Agenda. But just because it has the same third person view and you aim with your mouse doesn't make the game the same.

Yeah, I don't understand that comment myself. There isn't anything like Defiance currently out. PvE MMOTPS with the open questing system of GW2, DE's from Rift, completely voiced story missions that tie in to a TV show, the ability to roam around and find things to do on top of being able to accept missions and side missions on top of challenges and PvP. 

Sorry, Defiance is pretty much one of a kind at the moment. If it's not your thing thats understandable, but it is certainly not the same as anything else on the market lol. 

my biggest problem with the game is the third person combat,  prefer shooter games that have FPS tbh, the game probably is okay for a console game but just not for me, not really sure it does anything new either, third person shooters have been around for a good while now, gears of war springs to mind, though whether defiance is better or worse than GoW i have no idea, i think the only thing about the game that makes it stand out is probably the tie in with the tv program, maybe that will make the game popular? it will be interesting to see what the first months sales figures are like tbh, i expect the bulk of them to be sales of the console version, depends on whether they've done much to advertise it - i don't know even if the program related to the game is out yet, but im assuming when it does it will also reinforce the advertisement of the game. Though if the program is at all mediocre it will definitely hurt sales of the game, and vice versa.image

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member
    Originally posted by Traviks

Planning to buy it, but do not think it's worth the 60€. Personally I think it's a game you can get bored in 2 days :/. No rank, progress or something that makes lasting beyond killing for killing, it's fun, but you know ...

Myabe por 25€... maybe.

I can level up my vehicle, my weapons, customize them with mods, get talents etc.

And its a shooter.

It is a 100% pure win for me.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

• HodoHodo Raeford, NCPosts: 542Member
    I played alpha and beta, ended up uninstalling both. Game gets repetitive and boring after a while. PvP is just people with rockets bunny hopping around. I had high hopes for this game but I will save my $100 for something else.

Even if I ignored the PvP, it was mostly a bunch of the samething already out on the market. 

You might say APB or Global Agenda. But just because it has the same third person view and you aim with your mouse doesn't make the game the same.

Fallen Earth

SWTOR

Its not the third person that makes me think that.   Its the PvP in specific zones, usually instanced, with no real penalty for death in those zones, and only rewards.   The PvE gameplay is generally driven by open group quests, made popular by Warhammer Online,  has been driven into the ground by people who just camp those quests for the loot or XP.    Ultimately the game turns into a grind and is often who can grind through the game the fastest to the "end game" content and then move on to the next NEW thing.  

No substance, like Ultima Online or even SWG-Pre CU, and even Eve.   What drew people to Everquest, Asherons Call, and even Dark Age of Camelot was the ability to play with guildmates, and actually have a community that isnt a bunch of powergamers looking for the next best bit of gear.  

While I like Defiance for trying to be new, it ultimately isnt new.   Well not to anyone who has been gaming since the early 90s.

So much crap, so little quality.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member
    Fallen Earth

SWTOR

Fallen Earth and SWTOR:

- No free aim.

- No aim

- No shooting.

Invalid.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser ParisPosts: 1,873Member

Fallen Earth

SWTOR

Its not the third person that makes me think that.   Its the PvP in specific zones, usually instanced, with no real penalty for death in those zones, and only rewards.   The PvE gameplay is generally driven by open group quests, made popular by Warhammer Online,  has been driven into the ground by people who just camp those quests for the loot or XP.    Ultimately the game turns into a grind and is often who can grind through the game the fastest to the "end game" content and then move on to the next NEW thing.  

No substance, like Ultima Online or even SWG-Pre CU, and even Eve.   What drew people to Everquest, Asherons Call, and even Dark Age of Camelot was the ability to play with guildmates, and actually have a community that isnt a bunch of powergamers looking for the next best bit of gear.  

While I like Defiance for trying to be new, it ultimately isnt new.   Well not to anyone who has been gaming since the early 90s.

What?

*slams head on desk*

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member
    Originally posted by Caldrin
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79

Sorry, Defiance is pretty much one of a kind at the moment. If it's not your thing thats understandable, but it is certainly not the same as anything else on the market lol. 

one of a kind in the fact that it has brought things togeather to make a different package.. everything we have seen in this game we have seen in other games but usually done better.. maybe not all the features in a single game but still they are all old hat and it does nothing really new..

anyway thats maknig it sound like i really hate the game, i dont but its certainly nothing special.. i think il lleave it as that tho as we all like different things and im sure people will love this game..

Well done TPS MMOs are few and far between (This one still has issues, but it is well done). TPS MMOs that have the scifi/post apocalyptic setting and PvE are even fewer in number. Dynamic Events of any kind currently only exist in 3 games and including this one which combined with the above makes it one of a kind already. You throw in the TV show tie in that no other game has and you really have a 1 of a kind game. 

Its one of a kind for a number of reasons. Yes, it brought together mechanics and stuff from other games into one game and it also does some things no other game has done. It's also part of a sub genre that is very small and not very fleshed out currently. 

I'm not saying it's the second coming, I'm not saying it's perfect, in fact its a pretty flawed game. That however doesn't mean that it isn't a unique game. Not everyone is going to like it, but no the game isn't an old hat that does nothing really new considering it actually has done a few things new and is using more recent mechanics from other games rather than sticking to the old tired MMO philosophy while being part of a sub genre thats fairly small currently. 

• AndorhalAndorhal City, CTPosts: 73Member

Fallen Earth

SWTOR

Comparing MMOs that are entirely different and grouping them into a no-substance category is bad enough. EVE might not be for everyone but it is more unique than anything you have listed and saying it has no-substance just ruins any credibility you ever had.

• HrothaHrotha -Posts: 821Member
    Originally posted by Volkon

People have, quite literally, died from doing those 72 hr marathon things. Be smart. Sitting purely idle like that is grossly unhealthy. Take breaks where you actively move your legs, like a half hour walk or so.

You're no good to us dead.

Please never give advice to people who did not ask for advice.

In any case @OP: Great that you enjoy the game.

I will not get my hands on it, because it looks way too generic from what I have seen. Shoot, shoot, boom - explosion, get that weapon, upgrade that weapon, drive around, shoot, shoot, kill, kill, find more weapons, kill more, here another explosion. Rinse repeat.

Seems exactly what people need these days. Shoot, kill, destroy. And have a pizza!

I'm quite happy that I have a working left brain-side which is able to overlook the concepts of such games very quickly.

• VolkonVolkon Sterling, VAPosts: 3,788Member
    Originally posted by 4bsolute

People have, quite literally, died from doing those 72 hr marathon things. Be smart. Sitting purely idle like that is grossly unhealthy. Take breaks where you actively move your legs, like a half hour walk or so.

I have kids. Your advice is bad.

Oderint, dum metuant.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Webster, MAPosts: 4,813Member

In any case @OP: Great that you enjoy the game.

I will not get my hands on it, because it looks way too generic from what I have seen. Shoot, shoot, boom - explosion, get that weapon, upgrade that weapon, drive around, shoot, shoot, kill, kill, find more weapons, kill more, here another explosion. Rinse repeat.

Seems exactly what people need these days. Shoot, kill, destroy. And have a pizza!

I'm quite happy that I have a working left brain-side which is able to overlook the concepts of such games very quickly.

Yeah, I lost the left side of my brain in the early MMO wars. 1, 1, 2, 1, 3, get that armor, get that weapon, upgrade that armor, upgrade that weapon, ride around 1, 1, 3, 2, fine more weapons and armor, 1, 1, some more, here another quest. Rinse and repeat. 

Though I feel compelled to point something out to your left brain-side which seems to be working so well. I don't think overlook is the word you were looking for, or at least you didn't use it the way you meant to. The way you used it means that you either A) Failed to notice the concepts or B) Excused the concepts. 

In any case it seems you failed to see past the surface and didn't really notice the actual concepts of the game so I agree with your usage. 

But as far as the "Never give advice to people who did not ask for it" if you saw someone about to jump off a cliff without any kind of safety device in place, would you not tell them it is a bad idea? Same applies here. Playing for 72 hours straight can be hazardous. 

• asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    I have a feeling that this is not the kind of game that you want to do 72 hour marathons with...  

You make me like charity

• PrecusorPrecusor PalmaPosts: 4,733Member Uncommon

Getting thrombosis isnt fun.

• lickm3lickm3 PilsenPosts: 150Member

I have to agree with all that.

“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”? -Albert Einstein

• besteverbestever prescott, AZPosts: 732Member
    Originally posted by Caldrin

well each to their own...

I did not find the game bad as such.. but it was basically just average and nothing abotu it stood out.. its certainly not somthing i would want to spend money on, hell i could not see myself playing it if the game was 100% free. For me there are much better games out there.

Okay since you know of such a better game then why are you here making this post instead of playing that much better game? Guess you don't really know of any better games so you're here complaining about this game. Very odd and just don't understand why anyone does this. If you don't like the game then okay go play your so called better game.

• besteverbestever prescott, AZPosts: 732Member

Oh no pvp is like halo so it sucks. LOL

• cm01cm01 sidmouthPosts: 47Member
    Originally posted by asmkm22
    I have a feeling that this is not the kind of game that you want to do 72 hour marathons with...  

You can't do a 72 hour marathon with Defiance, you'll run out of content.

• ThoemseThoemse DornbirnPosts: 452Member Uncommon
    I am enjoying it very much so far. There is no sub and it definatly is worth the money for the box/download.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Anchorage, AKPosts: 1,788Member
    Originally posted by cm01
    Originally posted by asmkm22

You can't do a 72 hour marathon with Defiance, you'll run out of content.

That was my point.

You make me like charity

• TraviksTraviks TerrassaPosts: 32Member
    Bought for 28€, pretty fun game. Overall feels like a "poor" production, but its fun and I enjoying PVP as a kid with new candys.
2»