Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMORPG removes negative posts about games on request of publishers. We have to stop this now!

2»

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by taus01
    Originally posted by udon

MMORPG didn't want to deal with potential of a lawsuit.  They also didn't want to deal with selectivly censoring posts about the game so they took the logical best way out and removed the entire game from the site.  I can't say I would have handled this much different.  MMORPG is under no obligation at all to fight the good fight by keeping that games forum up if they don't want to.  

Oh and BTW.  Freedom of speech is exclusivily about the governments ability to limit what you can and can not say.  It doesn't apply to private companies and private properties at all.  There are other laws that affect that like anti decrimination ones but they are very limited in scope.

There is no lawsuit and there never will be one. No judge will give anyone an injunction based on forum posts by users. That is not going to happen.

Oh and BTW: Freedom of speech

It is a human right and has nothing to do with government or commercial law or companies or whatever you seem to have made up in your mind.  You my friend are disinformed or rather not informed at all.

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

You are a corporate brainwashed drone that thinks untouchable human rights can be taken away or restricted by governments or companies. I feel sad for you.

This is a private website, and they have the right to set the rules however they want them, within the law.  They have the right to delete posts, tell you not to swear or insult others, or to refuse to even let you be a member of the site.  They can also pick and chose what games to list.  You clearly have no clue how "freedom of speech" works if you believe you are entitled to trample on other people's freedoms.

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to be here.  It doesn't matter whetheryou believe there would be a lawsuit.  In fact, that's a secondary issue for me.  If this was my site, and some douche from a game company was telling me to censor negative comments about their game, I'd tell him to deal with it, or I would de-list their game.  That would be my right as the site owner and I also feel that would best serve my users.   

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352
    Originally posted by tawess

MMORPG didn't want to deal with potential of a lawsuit.  They also didn't want to deal with selectivly censoring posts about the game so they took the logical best way out and removed the entire game from the site.  I can't say I would have handled this much different.  MMORPG is under no obligation at all to fight the good fight by keeping that games forum up if they don't want to.  

Oh and BTW.  Freedom of speech is exclusivily about the governments ability to limit what you can and can not say.  It doesn't apply to private companies and private properties at all.  There are other laws that affect that like anti decrimination ones but they are very limited in scope.

There is no lawsuit and there never will be one. No judge will give anyone an injunction based on forum posts by users. That is not going to happen.

It is a human right and has nothing to do with government or commercial law or companies or whatever you seem to have made up in your mind.  You my friend are disinformed or rather not informed at all.

"Everyone has the right to freedom of opinion and expression; this right includes freedom to hold opinions without interference and to seek, receive and impart information and ideas through any media and regardless of frontiers."

You are a corporate brainwashed drone that thinks untouchable human rights can be taken away or restricted by governments or companies. I feel sad for you.

There is no such thing as freedom of speech within the private sphere. I have the right to censor you or evict you from my private property and there is nothing you can do about it. What i can not do is stop you from speaking in a public area... Also while freedom of speech might be a human right... it is not a law unless specificly writen in to the legal body.

So much nonesense, it does not need to be written into any legal body. Do some homework my friend.

Freedom of speech, or the freedom of expression, is recognized in international and regional human rights law.

You can't even if you would want to, sign away any of your human rights. It's simply not possible. The human rights court is above any country, government or law.

This forum is not  a public area.

Come on man, seriously? This is a public forum, you ninny. It can be read without subscription and it is indexed by google accessable publicly. This is not a PRIVATE FORUM.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by expresso
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    Originally posted by expresso

MMORPG.com could counter sue greedmonger as they have a screenshot from this website on their kickstarter page (was this with permissions I wonder?) 

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/appleton/greed-monger-a-crafting-focused-sandbox-mmorpg

And spend tons of time and money hiring a legal team?

Guys, this is a business and they don't want to do that unless it's necessary.

Removing Forums > Expensive Lawsuit

Just a checky email image to Jason @ Greedmonger just like Jason sent a checky email to Greg  @ MMORPG.  I'd defo do it, no need to follow through with legal action ofc.

It's easier to let bad businesses do what they do best, go out of business.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] CommonPosts: 0
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Beyond GM, I suspect that with a choosen advertising package you get a certain tier of protection, and some right to have things removed. I suspect this is what happened with the CU 500k thread yesterday. I could be wrong, but I doubt it. Can I fault mmorpg? No they are trying to make money. All money aint good money though...

JA just seems to be an idiot. This is different than deleating negative post. No pub is much worse than bad pub.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by tawess

There is no such thing as freedom of speech within the private sphere. I have the right to censor you or evict you from my private property and there is nothing you can do about it. What i can not do is stop you from speaking in a public area... Also while freedom of speech might be a human right... it is not a law unless specificly writen in to the legal body.

So much nonesense, it does not need to be written into any legal body. Do some homework my friend.

Freedom of speech, or the freedom of expression, is recognized in international and regional human rights law.

You can't even if you would want to, sign away any of your human rights. It's simply not possible. The human rights court is above any country, government or law.

This forum is not  a public area.

Come on man, seriously? This is a public forum, you ninny. It can be read without subscription and it is indexed by google accessable publicly. This is not a PRIVATE FORUM.

No, it is not "public".  I suggest you go look up the legal / business meanings of that word as well.  Just because you can visit here openly, doesn't mean it's public. That's like saying you can do anything you want in Best Buy because you were able to walk in off the street.  You should consider ending this conversation since it's clear you are a bit lost.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• waynejr2waynejr2 Member EpicPosts: 7,769

Freedom of speech is a legal construct.  If you feel you have a legal claim to make, hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit.  Do it today.

http://www.youhaventlived.com/qblog/2010/QBlog190810A.html  

Epic Music:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAigCvelkhQ&list=PLo9FRw1AkDuQLEz7Gvvaz3ideB2NpFtT1

https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos?&sort=-downloads&page=1

Kyleran:  "Now there's the real trick, learning to accept and enjoy a game for what it offers rather than pass on what might be a great playing experience because it lacks a few features you prefer."

John Henry Newman: "A man would do nothing if he waited until he could do it so well that no one could find fault."

FreddyNoNose:  "A good game needs no defense; a bad game has no defense." "Easily digested content is just as easily forgotten."

LacedOpium: "So the question that begs to be asked is, if you are not interested in the game mechanics that define the MMORPG genre, then why are you playing an MMORPG?"

Originally posted by MindTrigger

This is a private website, and they have the right to set the rules however they want them, within the law.  They have the right to delete posts, tell you not to swear or insult others, or to refuse to even let you be a member of the site.  They can also pick and chose what games to list.  You clearly have no clue how "freedom of speech" works if you believe you are entitled to trample on other people's freedoms.

If you don't like it, no one is forcing you to be here.  It doesn't matter whetheryou believe there would be a lawsuit.  In fact, that's a secondary issue for me.  If this was my site, and some douche from a game company was telling me to censor negative comments about their game, I'd tell him to deal with it, or I would de-list their game.  That would be my right as the site owner and I also feel that would best serve my users.   

Oh, i totally agree with you, MMORPG can do whatever they want with these forums. Does not mean i have to like it or have to be quite and not voice my opinion about it. If you don't like me voicing my opinion then you do not have to be here (see what i did there?).

But seriously, this is not a discussion about wether MMORPG can or can not remove forums or posts, this is about me asking the members of this forum to vote if they like what MMORPG did. 

It's a simple question.

• mmoskimmoski Member UncommonPosts: 282

While I agree with the OP, there needs to be a line drawn else all hell will break loose. I personally think that situations where the context of a single post needs to be addressed, posts which are intentionally made as attacks on a game that do not provide any constructive criticism within context need to be contained, it's not ok to just post "THIS G4M3 IZ TERR1B4D" or "Graphics suck" or anything along these lines, if someone dislikes a game that's fair just move on, personal issues that potentially do not have public impact should be bound between the user and the developer/product.

But when an issue with a game affects many users in a bad way, or could potentially cause prospective users/industry issues, ie.. WarZ, SimCity, Greedmonger, these should be open for discussion, and should contain valuable information.

I hope that MMORPG and the administrators, are open to initial posts and hold their ground against Developers until the context defined. That's just my opinion, and we know what they say about opinions.

Originally posted by waynejr2

Freedom of speech is a legal construct.  If you feel you have a legal claim to make, hire a lawyer and file a lawsuit.  Do it today.

What the frack are you talking about? We are discussing freedom of speech as a human right and you make this about me wanting to sue MMORPG. I have never said anything like that or even hinted at it. I asked a simple question in my OP

Do you like what MMORPG did?

• AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912

You're attempting to have a political discussion on what is, in effect, a private site under which those political guarantees don't apply. Feel free to discuss the Greed Monger situation in the thread where Bill originally responded, but this is not an appropriate forum discussion.

That said, if you have feedback on moderation or content, you can always send that in. Moderation feedback email is n my sig. Contact us link on every page goes to real people. 

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.