Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does 'No Pve' mean?

bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202

Hello!

Daoc fan here that is now a Warrior for Life awaiting Camelot Unchained!

I am overjoyed that CU will lean heavily on crafting.

But I would like some clarification, if possible, on what 'No Pve' means.

Does that mean no xp for pve mobs, no pve style fetch quests?

I hope it does not mean no exploration of the world.

Thanks,

Hope to be a Thane in CU

Comments

• MibletMiblet Member Posts: 333

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380932/page/1

There will be PvE, they seem to be trying to move away from it being the core of the game and more to a side game (crafting related rather than items, leveling etc).  The above thread shows the dev quotes on page 1.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    Originally posted by bill4747

Yes it means exactly that plus NPCs will not drop armor and weapons that you can equip. All your gear will be crafted (plus starter gear you get for free at character creation). There will no PvE quest hubs with NPCs with ! over their head that send you out to kill 10 wolves and bring back their pelts to earn 1000 xp and a piece of armor you will outgrow in 3 levels. There will be no instanced dungeons with hard mode, exporable mode, lockouts, and end bosses that drop armor and weapons with uber stats. There will be no end game 40 man raids where you beat on an uber purple NPC for 30 minutes then /roll for a chance to win the best gear in the game that you have to have to compete in RvR. All your progression will be done through RvR and crafting.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• StilerStiler Member Posts: 599

It does not mean you can't "explore" the world, or that there will be no NPC's.

There will be npc's in the game, however no quests and no PVE loot drops. You will buy your eqipment from crafters.

• MortifyMortify Member Posts: 95
    Originally posted by Stiler

There will be npc's in the game, however no quests and no PVE loot drops. You will buy your eqipment from crafters.

It will be interesting to see how you can 'farm' cash. If that's only through killing enemy players and RvR objectives, it'll be hectic out there in RvR.

Methos, Armsman, EU Excalibur
    Jager, Infiltrator, EU Excalibur
    Phos, Cleric, EU Excalibur
    Mortify, Sorcerer, EU Excalibur

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

I would think the main PVE if there is any will be hunting animals for resources.. skinning  and so on..

We dont really know exactly what the pve content will be other than it wont effect your character development in any way..

So no i dont think there will be any quets that ask you to kill 10 of the same thing over and over or anything like that.

Sure you could explroe the world but remember its a PVP game so if your in the PVP areas then your probally gonna die.

If your after a game with lots of PVE then this will not be the game you want to play.

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189

From all I have seen "No PVE" ultimately means that: You won't be leveling or gaining xp from fighting monsters, animals,  or npcs. You won't need to either because you will be leveling or gaining power through fighting the war against the other realms.

Second, you will not get gear or items from npcs, monsters, or the like. This is because you will get all, or almost all, your items from crafters. Some basics will be sold on npcs, but there will be no farming or camping npcs for your items, weapons, etc. as found in most MMOs.

Like any rule or concept, this probably won't be 100% hard and fast (forever), but who knows? That's the vision as I understand it at this time. 

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142
    Originally posted by Oldskoo

you will be leveling or gaining power through fighting the war against the other realms.

leveling will be different for crafters though of course, who will level by making use of their trade ... so that would sorta be PvE leveling in a way.

Originally posted by Daizedd

you will be leveling or gaining power through fighting the war against the other realms.

leveling will be different for crafters though of course, who will level by making use of their trade ... so that would sorta be PvE leveling in a way.

Yep, crafters will have their own leveling track that won't depeond on actual fighting to advance but instead through crafting and building stuff - makes sense to me :)

• DaizeddDaizedd Member Posts: 142
    Actually we should call it PwE...Player with Environment... *daizedd goes off to visit the trademark authorities*

• JaironKalachJaironKalach Member Posts: 13

Yep, crafters will have their own leveling track that won't depeond on actual fighting to advance but instead through crafting and building stuff - makes sense to me :)

Keeping in mind, of course, that "leveling" in the FPs seems to mean "getting better at what you spend your time doing." So you won't be leveling through crafting and then competing on equal footing with someone who has spend their time leveling through fighting. Which, in my mind, makes this awesome.

Originally posted by JaironKalach

Keeping in mind, of course, that "leveling" in the FPs seems to mean "getting better at what you spend your time doing." So you won't be leveling through crafting and then competing on equal footing with someone who has spend their time leveling through fighting. Which, in my mind, makes this awesome.

Right, it sort of reminds me of UO where if you swing that sword a bunch of times your skill in swinging swords gets better -  you don't just "level up" like you would in D&D and most MMOs but instead grow in ability at the skills you do by doing them. Again - makes sense to me :) I always liked systems like that. 

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322

Hello!

Daoc fan here that is now a Warrior for Life awaiting Camelot Unchained!

I am overjoyed that CU will lean heavily on crafting.

Thanks,

Hope to be a Thane in CU

Welcome Bill.:)

Mark has stated that "lvling" a toon will not be accomplished by pve means but by being involved in rvr. But having said that you will lvl your crafter by crafting, etc.

Someone might have to help me on this point but I believe he said no quests or very few.

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Miblet

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/380932/page/1

There will be PvE, they seem to be trying to move away from it being the core of the game and more to a side game (crafting related rather than items, leveling etc).  The above thread shows the dev quotes on page 1.

Ah yes thank you Mib for the link.:)

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

It does not mean you can't "explore" the world, or that there will be no NPC's. There will be npc's in the game, however no quests and no PVE loot drops. You will buy your eqipment from crafters. 

Only logical that a bee that you kill won't drop a huge greatsword....

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by meddyck

Yes it means exactly that plus NPCs will not drop armor and weapons that you can equip. All your gear will be crafted (plus starter gear you get for free at character creation). There will no PvE quest hubs with NPCs with ! over their head that send you out to kill 10 wolves and bring back their pelts to earn 1000 xp and a piece of armor you will outgrow in 3 levels. There will be no instanced dungeons with hard mode, exporable mode, lockouts, and end bosses that drop armor and weapons with uber stats. There will be no end game 40 man raids where you beat on an uber purple NPC for 30 minutes then /roll for a chance to win the best gear in the game that you have to have to compete in RvR. All your progression will be done through RvR and crafting.

i love all of them. raids/dungeons/hardmodes/pve content etc. i love them and i m mostly a pve player.

but

if a game comes out and states, "we will not have them" i m ok. i respect it and i have no problem at all. if i want to play a pvp game then i will play this. i dont want mixing things, making an mmo a bit of everything and a whole of nothing. thats the reason that despite i m a pve player, i m looking forward to this game. a game with a certain focus. a game that they have "told you the truth" before you buy it and not, "we will add this soon" in the future.

• bill4747bill4747 Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by Muke

Only logical that a bee that you kill won't drop a huge greatsword....

Reminds me of the sheer horror of when I played Horizons and had a quest to get 10 skeleton fingers.

After I defeated 20 skeletons and only had 3 fingers I began to get suspicious.

• BogginsBoggins Member Posts: 5
    I'm hoping the PVE that does occur in CU will involve trying to acquire resources and control areas that are full of NPCs and Monsters. While you may not get loot drops and experience from them, you will still benefit from clearing them out of an area with a valuable resource or important area (mountain pass) to control.