Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Role Players Unite!

AthileaAthilea Member Posts: 72

Alright, so it has been stated that if we want a server specifically dedicated to rp that will be -heavily- enforced then the backers need to state that it's something they want. So please, I want any backer that is interested in having an awesome rp server to post here! We can only make it a reality if we band together and make it known that this is what we want.

I'm sure there are many of us out here, many of us that are backing the project, that want to see an rp dedicated server. I'm sure there are many of us that have played games like WoW that have 'dedicated' servers for rp that are poorly enforced, where complaints from the community are largely ignored. Let's make sure that this isn't something that happens in CU. Let's make sure that we don't have to 'claim' a server for ourselves.

Thank you!

Edit:

Please be respectful of those of us that do wish to see an rp server. If it isn't something that you are interested in, then that's fine. Please do not try to spoil this for those of us that are, though.

Another Edit:

Role players are already so interested in this game that a website has been created in support of rp. Here's the link: http://camelot-rp.enjin.com/home

Yet another edit:

Many people that have posted on MMORPG have stated that they are willing to pay a little more to get the enforcement that we want on an rp dedicated server. I would be okay with that as well.

Comments

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189

I'm not a hard core role player but I do like to do a lil in character talk from time to time for fun. I also prefer game worlds where immersion breaking names and such are not allowed. I liked Mark's ideas  about a role playing server and would consider being a part of such but, to be honest, I am much more interested in the project simply meeting it's funding goals at this point.

• BenezettaBenezetta Member UncommonPosts: 94
    I don't spend time writing up stories anymore but I'd still love to be in-character on a roleplaying server if one is offered.
  • Squeak69Squeak69 Member UncommonPosts: 959

i am a hardcore roleplayer always have always will, which is why i have no intrest in this game.

im sorry but from what i have rea of this game i cant see it lending itself well to RP to be honest most of these action based or PvP focused games not only do not lend themselves well to RP but actully make it difficult.

i may be wrong who knows, i have been before. but i simply do not think this game will have much if any RP in it.

F2P may be the way of the future, but ya know they dont make them like they used toimage
    Proper Grammer & spelling are extra, corrections will be LOL at.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    I usually play on RP servers only, for the roleplay environment and the more mature community, even though I'm not the best at roleplaying. I do make up a little story to go with my main so that when I do run into someone who's a RP, I have something to Rp with them about.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• AthileaAthilea Member Posts: 72

I completely understand that, and I am hoping it will be funded as well. I think we all are. It is still important, though, to make our voices heard and make sure that we are able to get a server that we can enjoy. <3

I appreciate both of your responses to this, and I hope that there are many more. Honestly, I think there are going to be several surges as more and more is revealed. Part of what I believe is holding some of the donations back is a lack of some information, screenshots, and so forth. I imagine that Stretch Goals, once they are revealed, will help to push the funding forward a bit more as well.

Edit:

To Squeak: I can understand that, and I agree with that to an extent. However, I believe that the action in this setting can be used to help fuel the rp. Especially if we have a dedicated rp server so that we don't have to deal with the griefing that you receive anywhere else. DAoC was pretty heavily RvR focused and it had a wonderful rp community, and I believe that was in part to how heavily the rules were regulated, and that's what I'm trying to make sure we get here.

I certainly hope that the rp community proves your assessment wrong when it comes to CU. I know I'll do my best to.

• TumblebutzTumblebutz Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Tayah
    I usually play on RP servers only, for the roleplay environment and the more mature community, even though I'm not the best at roleplaying. I do make up a little story to go with my main so that when I do run into someone who's a RP, I have something to Rp with them about.

Same here.  I don't like to see names of players or guilds which break the immersion for me.  It's been my experience that RP servers offer a more mature and dedicated (and overall more FRIENDLY) crowd and that is something in which I'm interested.  I'm not a huge RP guy, but I'll do my part!

@squeak, if you have no interest in the game, why are you posting? 

Emeryc Eightdrakes - Ranger of DragonMyst Keep - Percival

RED IS DEAD!

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Athilea

Alright, so it has been stated that if we want a server specifically dedicated to rp that will be -heavily- enforced then the backers need to state that it's something they want. So please, I want any backer that is interested in having an awesome rp server to post here! We can only make it a reality if we band together and make it known that this is what we want.

I'm sure there are many of us out here, many of us that are backing the project, that want to see an rp dedicated server. I'm sure there are many of us that have played games like WoW that have 'dedicated' servers for rp that are poorly enforced, where complaints from the community are largely ignored. Let's make sure that this isn't something that happens in CU. Let's make sure that we don't have to 'claim' a server for ourselves.

Thank you!

Edit:

Please be respectful of those of us that do wish to see an rp server. If it isn't something that you are interested in, then that's fine. Please do not try to spoil this for those of us that are, though.

Count me in! Thank you Pam, if this is her, for starting this thread.:)

• JaironKalachJaironKalach Member Posts: 13
    Originally posted by Squeak69

i am a hardcore roleplayer always have always will, which is why i have no intrest in this game.

im sorry but from what i have rea of this game i cant see it lending itself well to RP to be honest most of these action based or PvP focused games not only do not lend themselves well to RP but actully make it difficult.

i may be wrong who knows, i have been before. but i simply do not think this game will have much if any RP in it.

Although I don't RP much in MMOs, my original MM experience (MUSH's, MUSEs, etc) was all RP (there wasn't much combat to speak of). The interesting thing is that I think this game has the *potential* to be more RP-friendly than so many others. If the world is as transformable as I hope it will be, it gives you a chance to go beyond emotes to actually acting out in a fashion what you are doing. The things that you role play can actually affect the game world....

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Tumblebutz
    Originally posted by Tayah

Same here.  I don't like to see names of players or guilds which break the immersion for me.  It's been my experience that RP servers offer a more mature and dedicated (and overall more FRIENDLY) crowd and that is something in which I'm interested.  I'm not a huge RP guy, but I'll do my part!

@squeak, if you have no interest in the game, why are you posting? 

Aye I forgot that too. Everytime I see someone like "IpwndU" in kill spam in a game, I cringe.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• MMOWarriorMMOWarrior Member UncommonPosts: 33

Alb/Percival in the house and signing for a RP server!

Thank you all for the responses. And yes, it's Pam here. ^_^

And the point made about how changeble the world seems it's going to be is part of why I feel it would lend itself very well to rp. My husband and I have plans for a guild already that will take advantage of that. It will allow us to do things we had tried in WoW, but really isn't possible because of how rp is done on dedicated rp servers there.

I feel that it is -extremely- important for us to have a dedicated rp server in order to accomplish this, though. 

• SpeelySpeely Member CommonPosts: 861
    Well said. I am in full support of a moderated rp server. When playing a roleplaying game, I like to play a role.

• BogginsBoggins Member Posts: 5
    Count me in. Would love a full RP server.

Thank you all again for your support. I'm getting good responses here and in the thread I made on Reddit. One good question, that I want to share with all of you, involves what enforcement of the rp server would entail. 

What I expect is that the rp rules that they give us for the server are -actually- enforced. Meaning that if we submit complaints about names, about griefing, about players intentionally trying to break our immersion, that those complaints are listened to and acted on. There are some situations that may arise, like an rp guild that continually targets you or your guild with no apparent motive, but that is the sort of thing that has to be handled either within the rp community, or by leaving the PvP area. Some things are not preventable, but we -can- stop the sort of issues that arise when non-role players that have nothing better to do then try to bring down the rp community are stopped before they even start.

Thank you for that comment, Xob. I agree 100%. We have an oppotunity here to build a fantastic rp community starting out with tools that some MMO's still do not have. In the end the community will be what we make of it, but to have a good foundation for it we need at least one rp server that actually enforces the rules of conduct on said server.
  • gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by Athilea

Thank you all again for your support. I'm getting good responses here and in the thread I made on Reddit. One good question, that I want to share with all of you, involves what enforcement of the rp server would entail. 

What I expect is that the rp rules that they give us for the server are -actually- enforced. Meaning that if we submit complaints about names, about griefing, about players intentionally trying to break our immersion, that those complaints are listened to and acted on. There are some situations that may arise, like an rp guild that continually targets you or your guild with no apparent motive, but that is the sort of thing that has to be handled either within the rp community, or by leaving the PvP area. Some things are not preventable, but we -can- stop the sort of issues that arise when non-role players that have nothing better to do then try to bring down the rp community are stopped before they even start.

I agree with this 100%

Forced emotes in Lord of the Rings is a hot topic.:P

• SailorMomSailorMom Member UncommonPosts: 7

I'm all for this :)

I enjoy the RP enforced server, Laurelin, in LOTRO. I've only played on there a bit, but it's nice to see.

Would love to see a server for it.

Thank you both for your comments! <3 I think that if we keep this rate of comment up on the threads then we wont be able to be denied! Mark will have to give us our server...I hope. XD

Let's just keep this up and direct as many role playing backers to this thread, and the one on Reddit, that we can.

• CaldicotCaldicot Member UncommonPosts: 455

I will also sign this.

What worries me a bit is when Mark Jacobs saids the game will be "focused solely on tri-realm combat".

If you wish to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first invent the universe. - Carl Sagan

I can understand that. In the end, though, the realm is going to be what we, as a community, make of it. There are pleanty of games with RP/PvP servers that have thriving rp communities. Honestly, I think some very engaging rp can be done by using the RvR system. 

Really, the way PvE leveling is normally done makes little sense in all these war-torn worlds. What does collecting bear claws have to do with helping save the world from the brink of catastrophe? It's really just a means to an end, and I feel that participating in an all out war would lend itself far better to immersion then PvE centric games tend to.

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i played on ALB Perc , Hib Guin , Alb nimue myself and if i did decide to buy this game if its made I dont think Ill ever play on a strict roleplay enforced server ever again after dealing with the headache of those servers in DAOC . While there was some truely awesome people on those servers I had plenty of friends getting name changes for the STUPIDEST reasons ever , not names like leetspeak or bigboobs or something along those lines. Names like mine i use Scourn , or others like deceiver for a infiltrator etc. Friends of mine would get their names changed to a bunch of stupid letters and not even names and then have to contact CS to try and get that fixed all because some group of RP people who were to high on their selves decided to report names. It got old fast , and some of the groups when grinding mobs would be plain out more vicious than a regular wow server these days to people gossiping about their version of rp. If CU enforces this based on some of the bias rules of roleplay that server will not be around long at all IMO, events is awesome , lose rp is awesome to , but having RP police like DAOC had is a VERY bad idea.
  • FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

Good work raising awareness to those looking for a dedicated RP server for the game once it funds.  It's not for me, and I know that the RP servers back on DaOC were quite unique.  Ideally, I'd like to see an oppurtunity for those type of players as well.  Could be a good thing for a game that strives for community and pride.

Could a moderator sticky this by chance?  I believe it'll be an ongoing issue, and having up top will gather attention for the people that will find it appealing.

Well, if you feel that way then you certainly should not play on this server. It is a server dedicated to role players, and seeing names like Deciever is immersion breaking. If you are not going to abide by the naming rules of the server, then you should make your character on a different server. For those of us that support the heavily enforced rp servers (especially those of us that played DAoC), we are looking forward to that type of enforcement. 

Still, I appreciate your comment. 

Edit:

Thank you for requesting that sticky, Fogg. We appreciate the support, even from those that are not interested in the type of server we are looking for.

• TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026

I typically play on rp servers as well but not to rp. I rp light as standard but often I regret not going to pvp servers as I love pvp. My choice was always previously influenced by guildies but that has recently changed.

It isn't that I do not like to rp. In fact it is what I love most but ALL mmo's suck at it. All the mmo rp players are a shadow of the real thing (not refering to cosplay but to table top rpgs). I play mmos for what they are: a video game with limited truly free options for gameplay. I get some instant flashy adventure and very little more. Sitting around objects I can't move yammering with other toons who rarely reflect action with word isn't my idea of rp.

If I end up playing this game it will be for the community based tri-realm gameplay and little more. Social interaction is the mmo strong point but it never was rp. I stick to my usual weekely pnp rpg (currently a high level Rifts campaign with 22 years of back story through playing) for real adventure rp'ing. Nothing, and I truly mean nothing compairs to the freedom one has in a pnp rpg. Mmos and rpgs have become entirely different entities and I long since lost hope mmos could ever be as powerful a tool of imagination. I'm surprised I ever though otherwise as the second you add a picture, model or graphics of any kind to a rpg game you take away from imagination and not add to it. Full 3d video, sound and story outside of your control pretty much obliterates the foundations of a rpg entirely.

All I would want out of this game is the social warfare and being social isn't rp'ing which oddly seems to be what people think rp is now ... sitting chatting in a room hoping other players don't troll you. Rp'ing is total control over story, character and environment which only will ever reside in imagination and never within a video game forcing every visual upon you. I just learned to stop fulling myself thinking that rp matters in mmos.

You stay sassy!

• AdeptusArbitratorAdeptusArbitrator Member Posts: 35

Of course! Its such a shame so many developers neglect roleplayers when they're one of the few aspects of the game that really require much in the way of attention to hold over. As I think has been said, MJ seemed to be paying attention when the topic about a paid, enforced, server concept rolled up with is pretty promising.

On another note, http://camelot-rp.enjin.com/home has been set up as a bit of a seperate, more inclusive, sort of hub for roleplayers for the time being, at least until the official forums arrive and we can see what set up they have there.

camelot-rp.enjin.com - A hub for roleplayers in Camelot Unchained!