Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why is there not more hype about this game?

Comments

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Actually it was #1 on the hype list until fans of the other games got upset and low rep'd it.  We can't have people liking something that's not either realistic or a sandbox or both.. I'm still planning to buy it.  The hype meter is stupid.
  • DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by lolunatic

Sounds like your average mmo but on steroids.. isnt that what we've all been waiting for? I know this site has a big "immersion" crowd, or whatever, who want to play skyrim online, good luck with that.

But I'm talking about the MMO crowd, HELLA end game, a more dynamic action combat style (not your basic wow/swtor), leveling that doesn't suck and gives you options (paths). PvP that resembles GvG, I've heard about arena as well and battlegrounds, this game is my absolute dream, matter of fact I'm about to uninstall my mmos/games so I can focus on school the next couple months before this one comes out or untill I can get into beta, because I KNOW I won't be letting this one pass.

Honestly there isn't a whole lot to get excited about.  It seems like it will be a decent MMO, but nothing special.  It's not really doing anything new that makes me excited about it, it's pretty generic in scope.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

I'm excited for it.  I try to remain cautiously optimistic about mmos now since the past few triple A titles have had SO much hype and haven't delivered.

I'm not worried if they do not have a huge launch.  If the game is good, the population will grow or remain stable. 

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135

This site has a sizable crowd of MMO fans who are basically looking for the next big MMO that will cater to their specific tastes, regardless of what other gamers like. In addition to this, a lot of people on this site seem to be under the impression that a 'true' MMO needs to also be 100% immersive, have unlimited content, never repeat, have excellent graphics, not lag or be instances / have loading screens, etc. etc. etc.

Simply put, this is just the latest MMO out, and this site is on a roll of ridiculous expectations resulting in gamers being consistantly dissapointed. Unfortunately, unlike other games, WildStar doesn't have a big name IP to help it overcome all that.

To put things into perspective, look at 2012 and 2013. We've had more great games out this year than we've had in quite a while. And yet we also have more complaining about a lack of great games than we've had in quite a while.

Personally, I think WildStar will be a good game. I also wouldn't be surprised if it ends up surpassing a lot of players expectations. One of the things that will probably end up working in this games' favor, is the fact that people don't expect anything from it. There is very little hype, and so there aren't people asking for ridiculously impossible things from this video game. Just look at what happened w/ GW2. The game did literally everything it promised, and yet a large percentage of players still expected something completely different. The few that came back after the fact, with their initial expectations thrown out the window, actually managed to have a ton of fun.

• FearumFearum Member UncommonPosts: 1,175
    Its your job as fans to hype a game yourself. Bitching about how other games have more hype is not doing any good.
  • LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Marketing will ramp up as it gets closer to beta/launch. Hyping now, especially with no established ip, would be wasted money.
  • FromHellFromHell Member Posts: 1,311

Don´t know why I should get hyped.

It is another themepark (unrealistic amusement park pew-pew)

It has Raids. (Repeatable Gear grind treatmill)

It is cartoony (WoW style reloaded)

Only benefit: housing (But instanced, of course)

It will sell millions, but I am certainly not the target audience

Secrets of Dragon?s Spine Trailer.. ! :D
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwT9cFVQCMw

Best MMOs ever played: Ultima, EvE, SW Galaxies, Age of Conan, The Secret World
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2X_SbZCHpc&t=21s

The Return of ELITE !

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by TheHavok

I'm excited for it.  I try to remain cautiously optimistic about mmos now since the past few triple A titles have had SO much hype and haven't delivered.

I'm not worried if they do not have a huge launch.  If the game is good, the population will grow or remain stable. 

i have a similar mentality

i look forward to Wildstar but i dont care about hype or expectations of WS being a smash hit

if I enjoy the game - thats all that matters to me

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    I have been saying for a while now that Wildstar is going tp be the dark horse of 2013. 
  • sketocafesketocafe Member UncommonPosts: 950
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Very poor rebuttal, IMO.  Innovation isn't great.  If you think more of the same makes for a great game, then you might want to try other games.  Well, if you think a highly instanced game makes for a quality MMORPG, then you might want to rethink your strategy for fan criticism.

Wait, did you just say innovation isn't great, and then immediately say "If you think more of the same makes for a great game, then you might want to try other games?" 

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035

Back when SWTOR was all the rage, MMORPG.com had similar conversations about why GW2 wasn't getting any hype.

It didn't take long for the tides to shift, to where people were proclaiming GW2 the best game coming.

I'm expecting it will happen for WildStar.  Just give it time.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735
    I say less hype the better. Else you get all those silly people that will come and whine about everything in given game even tho they never planned or plan to play it and pretty much whine about every game because, well, no idea why. I'm pretty sure tho, once they start inviting random poeple into betas give out the release date the hype machine will be in motion. 
  • AconsarAconsar Member Posts: 262
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    People have some notion that pretty graphics will make a game great...roflmao...I wonder why it is that all the "Great" MMOs had horrible graphics...coincidence?

Because there hasn't been a "great" MMO in at least a decade?  Which means by today's standards they have "horrible graphics" now.

• chongjk88chongjk88 Member Posts: 1

This thread expresses my question exactly.

Do people not know this game exist or what?

I think this game is gonna be a huge hit!!

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    With closed beta coming up, people will be able to get a better feel for the game, interest will then change - depending on the nda of course. The closer we get to release, you can expect NCsoft to hit the marketing.
  • RaiKoiRaiKoi Member Posts: 2
    Originally posted by flizzer

I have never liked that WoW cartoony look.  If it launches with all these great features, maybe I will give it a try, but not sure I can  get past the look of the game.

As much as I agree on the WoW styling, this game is way beyond that - it's a form of art, not just 'cartoony' textures that will last long. In fact, it's the reason I got so pumped on this game in the first place.

• EvolvedMonkyEvolvedMonky Member Posts: 549

Nothing in this game gets me "hyped".  

Combat looks booooooooring.

Graphics aka style is meh. I mean if it had cartoony art but with an adultish grity theme that would be cool, in other words lots of blood and decapatation. But from the limited vids ive seen it reminds me of some saturday morning cartoon.  Or a cheesy cartoon thats suppose to be funny but the jokes are so corney you just end up giving a weak smile.

Housing omg they have houses.... like thats never been done. lil history lesson, instance housing were in mmos before UO was released...OMG WHAT!!!!       I know right so housing and suposidly you fight with ur house for what... cause its just fun right... um yeah sure.  Sounds more like a mini-game to me.

Its a themepark like those before it.   Whooopty freakn doooo

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Maybe because it looks too much like WOW and people are getting sick of it? who knows.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MargulisMargulis Member CommonPosts: 1,614
    Originally posted by lolunatic

Sounds like your average mmo but on steroids.. isnt that what we've all been waiting for? I know this site has a big "immersion" crowd, or whatever, who want to play skyrim online, good luck with that.

But I'm talking about the MMO crowd, HELLA end game, a more dynamic action combat style (not your basic wow/swtor), leveling that doesn't suck and gives you options (paths). PvP that resembles GvG, I've heard about arena as well and battlegrounds, this game is my absolute dream, matter of fact I'm about to uninstall my mmos/games so I can focus on school the next couple months before this one comes out or untill I can get into beta, because I KNOW I won't be letting this one pass.

Not sure where you've been looking, but I've been seeing tons of press on Wildstar recently.

And yes, this game definitely sounds like the right game for you.

• WaldoeWaldoe Member UncommonPosts: 642
    Originally posted by EvolvedMonky

Nothing in this game gets me "hyped".   Combat looks booooooooring. Graphics aka style is meh. I mean if it had cartoony art but with an adultish grity theme that would be cool, in other words lots of blood and decapatation. But from the limited vids ive seen it reminds me of some saturday morning cartoon.  Or a cheesy cartoon thats suppose to be funny but the jokes are so corney you just end up giving a weak smile. Housing omg they have houses.... like thats never been done. lil history lesson, instance housing were in mmos before UO was released...OMG WHAT!!!!       I know right so housing and suposidly you fight with ur house for what... cause its just fun right... um yeah sure.  Sounds more like a mini-game to me. Its a themepark like those before it.   Whooopty freakn doooo

You fight with your house? What are you talking about?

Also, combat looks boring compared to what?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

It's hyped and it's popular on other sites. I'd bet on the main portion of this site the WildStar coverage gets a good amount of hits. On the forums here, though, if an MMO is cartoony or themepark in any way, it gets rejected. WildStar is both.

Personally, I'm looking forward to it, but you can already see from the posts in this thread how pointless it would be to try to start a positive thread on the game here.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Not a fan of cartoon graphics but gameplay and features mean much much more.  

I will be looking into this game as it does appear to have some features that we haven't seen in this genre.  As more info and beta's begin I think the hype will pick up on this site.

• VoiidiinVoiidiin Member Posts: 817

For me Wildstar lost its appeal when i was announced that only 2 factions would be in the game. To get me interested anymore i need 3 factions for serious PvP/RvR.

I just can't go backwards to 2 faction PvP, its too dull and boring.

Lolipops !

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by Voiidiin

For me Wildstar lost its appeal when i was announced that only 2 factions would be in the game. To get me interested anymore i need 3 factions for serious PvP/RvR.

I just can't go backwards to 2 faction PvP, its too dull and boring.

2 Faction is not backwards though. 3 faction is not inherently better, and in fact has shown to be a detriment across many games.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

for me its the cartoon art style, it looked like a bad animie that we all seen on tv.  Honestly if I want cartoon's well there is always wow to go play.  Just saying.