Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is Defiance better then FireFall ?

rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788

Just wonder ..

Out of experience with this site, the more hyped game is often the worse ^^ (i.e. WoWP <-> WoT)

So is Defiance comparable to FireFall at all ?

Or is it more like PS2 ?

Comments

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

I don't know but i love strawberry as well as vanilla. Both taste amazing to me. Why do i have to choose one over the other?

By the way more hype doesn't always mean bad..look at GW2 for example.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

It's different, I wouldn't compare them too closely and look for which one is "best".

Defiance is largely skill based. Firefall's Frames are more class based so there's a different dynamic right away. The only thing they have in common is that their both Third Person PvE shooters. The character progression is totally different.

One may suit a persons playstyle more than the other, but for me personally, I intend to play both. There's no reason why anyone shouldn't, they're both fun.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by rawfox

Just wonder ..

Out of experience with this site, the more hyped game is often the worse ^^ (i.e. WoWP <-> WoT)

Or is it more like PS2 ?

I've been looking at both games for a while.  In my opinion, FireFall has more potential to be better because Red 5 has been doing a lot to make it a more fun game, including scrapping systems that were lackluster and rebuilding them from scratch if needed.  It sounds like they have been steadily improving the game as well, but still have a ways to go. The video from Red 5 at PAX East talks about their work and plans.

It's going to be a matter of preference.  Both games are questionable as of today.  Defiance may only be fashionable for a short time, and FireFall is not even done yet.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

[mod edit]

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

[mod edit]

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

Firefall is f2p as I remember.

I keep away from f2p games. I hate I have to use my wallet every frigging time I want to do something.

I know that Defiance has a cash shop but Defiance is not P2W where you have to pay for respec etc.

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Just wonder ..

Or is it more like PS2 ?

PS2, Defiance, and Firefall are all different. 

PS2 has no PvE content at all. It's basically a large RvR game with guns and vehicles both land and air). I personally like the game. 

Defiance is a MMOTPS with PvE and PvP (Focus is on PvE). There are a great number of things to do. You have the main mission, the story missions, side missions,time trials, rampages, emergencies, hot shots, "Dynamic Events", random encounters, Team PvP, Deathmatch PvP, World Bosses, Co-op maps, and more :P I personally like the game. 

Firefall is actually is somewhere in between the two to be honest, but I actually don't like it. Some will find it more appealing, some will not. I don't like the artistic style of the game and while it sounds like there is a lot of variety in the betas I didn't find a great deal of variety in the content. It's not a bad game, it just isn't a game for me. I do recomend you check it out for yourself. Hop in the beta or play it when it launches since its a free to play. 

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Going to give the nod to Defiance. It's an actually released c ame that has been fun so far. Firefall is still an idea as far as I'm concerned and Firefall is p2p , once I find out p2p I no longer care what comes if the game.
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL Member RarePosts: 2,546
    You can't compare the 2. When in doubt, play the F2P one and wait for the other one to start a trial.
  • AvisonAvison Member Posts: 350

It's a strange thing. Defiance is an actual mmo with all the trimmings. It has all the deficiencies of an mmo as well. Firefall lacks the content of an mmo but plays a bit like Unreal Tournament.

I would say Defiance is better simply because it has more content, is further along in development, and has a clearer design goal.

I don't think Firefall will ever get anywhere as they don't know what the hell they want.

[mod edit]

Originally posted by DMKano

Its a matter of opinion and preference.

To me Defiance has much better PvE, much better game engine, and I just have more fun playing Defiance.

Also its nice to see my nephews playing it for hours last night on XBox, which they couldn't with Firefall, as they don't have a gaming PC.

Also talked to my neighbor this morning she said she found her husband passed out in front of the TV with Defiance still running lol! 

Anyway, I will check out FF again when more stuff gets added, feels really unfinished to me.

Exactly...however both games do have some similarities but over all i enjoyed both. Firefall is lot more focued on PVP side though and Defiance on PVE side.

PVE was very lacking in Firefall when last time i tried it.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

Originally posted by KingofHartz
    Going to give the nod to Defiance. It's an actually released c ame that has been fun so far. Firefall is still an idea as far as I'm concerned and Firefall is p2p , once I find out p2p I no longer care what comes if the game.

Firefall has progressed a lot now. Thing is they don't have a lot of money like Trion. It is a small development house and that is why they are going slow. Moreover they are trying to make PVP side more fun than PVE. So if you like playing PVP more i would say Firefall will be more to your liking.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

I wouldn't play Firefall.. and it's free.

I'd be happy to play Defiance.. but I have other things I am playing at the moment.

I'd say Defiance is 'definately' better than Firefall. I've played both in the betas and Firefall didn't even come close.

I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
    Originally posted by DMKano
    Originally posted by Avison

It's a strange thing. Defiance is an actual mmo with all the trimmings. It has all the deficiencies of an mmo as well. Firefall lacks the content of an mmo but plays a bit like Unreal Tournament.

I would say Defiance is better simply because it has more content, is further along in development, and has a clearer design goal.

I don't think Firefall will ever get anywhere as they don't know what the hell they want.

Well said, that's how I feel.

There is some truth here. Red 5 seems to be confused about what FireFall is, and I often wonder if the game will ever make it out of development since they keep re-writing things.  On the other hand, I do like that they don't feel obligated to keep lackluster systems in the game just because they already wrote it.  We see a lot of that these days, and it sucks.

• KatrisaKatrisa Member UncommonPosts: 116

These (FF and Def) are my current main MMOs. Seems to be the age of the shooty MMO but thats not bad!

I wouldnt look too hard at comparing them. They both are MMOs and use guns but the feel and play is different in both. Jetpacks give FF a faster fight. Jumping and jetting to safe spots to unload on .... yes... more bugs.  Also I think something to note about the new firefall (update 0.6) the weapon set up reminds me very much of LoL. while the games are very differant, You have your main weapon and then 3 skills you can change and then an "ULT" that repends on your class/frame. Also its good to note that FF you have a realy ability to change the world... or at least for a short time.

Defiance is much more grounded (no jetpacks... duh :) but thats doesnt make it less fun. The number of guns and mods is wonderful! The game feels a bit like Rift at times with a twist but thats not a bad thing. the archfalls are just like Rifts but it looks like everyone gets their own loot so no loot stealing! Oh... and the atvs and such give Def a great feel. i spend so much time just riding my atv like a loon! :) ... The only thing at this point that frustrates me about Def is the chat... how hard is it to get the chat system and menus right? I just dont understand things like that. how can you have Rift with a smooth easy to use social system to this awful crap that is utterly useless. My friends and I talk on IM for now and bypass the ingame chat. Im sure they will fix it but... ugh

/meow

• revslaverevslave Member UncommonPosts: 154

Hello

Firefall is currently all about the potential.  At some point if everything works out perfectly, Firefall will be a beast of an MMO, however it has been a work in progress for many years and continues to be so.  You can take that as you may, either as a sign that the dev are truly dedicated or the the devs have no idea what they are doing and seeing what works.

Defiance on the other hand is all about the production, the game runs smothly, has a number of game systems in place (PVP, CO-OP, Dynamic Evnets, Quest tied into the TV show.)  The game can not and wil lnever have the potential that Firefall has, but it apears that the devs have a grasp on what they want their game to be and the current game is 'more' complete.

The question you asked is what game is better, neither, they are diffrent in scope, production and point of development. 

Welcome Home

Rev.

• RinnaRinna Member UncommonPosts: 389
    I've played both and they feel different.  Defiance feels more like a console shooter and more serious where Firefall is repetitive jump boot flying combat and a lot more silly fun.  I think you could play both of them, Defiance being your more serious play time and then Firefall just to blow off steam and goof off.

No bitchers.

• SnakexSnakex Member UncommonPosts: 317

Just wonder ..

Or is it more like PS2 ?

Because you are asking a question of Opinion i will give you My opinion.

I believe Firefall is "Better"

Or in my words, Firefall is longer lasting enjoyment, that has better Gameplay.

Sources: Beta Tester of Defiance.  beta tester of Firefall.

• KaosLegionKaosLegion Member UncommonPosts: 79

Firefall.

Am curious to see how defiance develops with the tv series but.

Both have potential.

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

As an MMORPG defiance is a lot better.

As a competitive shooter, firefall is probably better.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    I'd say honestly from playing both, that defiance is a better game when you ignore the buggyness of it. Firefall was pretty damn boring it really had nothing to do. No real loot(weapons, armro etc), boring quests, mostly all you can do is run around and shoot stuff randomly. I am thinking of picking up defiance today though I wonder if imma regret this later.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    Originally posted by revslave

Hello

Firefall is currently all about the potential.  At some point if everything works out perfectly, Firefall will be a beast of an MMO, however it has been a work in progress for many years and continues to be so.  You can take that as you may, either as a sign that the dev are truly dedicated or the the devs have no idea what they are doing and seeing what works.

Defiance on the other hand is all about the production, the game runs smothly, has a number of game systems in place (PVP, CO-OP, Dynamic Evnets, Quest tied into the TV show.)  The game can not and wil lnever have the potential that Firefall has, but it apears that the devs have a grasp on what they want their game to be and the current game is 'more' complete.

The question you asked is what game is better, neither, they are diffrent in scope, production and point of development. 

Welcome Home

Rev.

I dunno, I found firefall to be one of the most boring shooters I have played. There just is really nothing to the game, it looks pretty but it lacks any real meat to the game. It felt like a fairly shallow experence to me, so I lost interest fairly fast. No lootable gear=lame imo. You should spend Exp to unlock the licsense for that weapon type, but then you should be able to kill stuff and loot better versions of said gun insted of just being stuck with the one your handed when you unlock it. Unless the game changed, but I doubt it has yet.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

• BrownAleBrownAle Member Posts: 399

I wasnt really a big fan of firefall tbh.  And i guess its no longer fair to compare the two games since firefall is STILL in beta after all this time.

Firefall seems more like a themepark mmorpg with guns and jetpacks and their own unique gimmick.

Defiance feels and plays like something a bit different, despite it has similarities to GW2 in mechanics.  Theres no back and forth questing via NPC's really..im not heading out into a field of mabs mulling about killing 15 of them looting 10 quest items then running back to the npc.

The combat, the look, the feel, the storyline...all much higher quality in Defiance.

Top it off with Trion running one game and some no name company running the other...i know Defiance will get developer love often and make progress as a game far faster than Firefall...which has been in beta for way too long.

I just remember Firefall feeling like a standard mmorpg with guns and jetpacks and development was moving at a snails pace (figure i would leave and come back whenever it actually launches though)

Oh and its nothing like PS2 which is a pvp only persistant battleground.  As far as i can tell the only pvp is in instanced matche.

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502

Just wonder ..

Or is it more like PS2 ?

I have played them both, and for MY play style, Defiance is better.  Not saying Firefall is a bad game, not at all, just does not fit the way I enjoy playing.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Neither of these games are that good to be honest. You better off playing Black Ops 2 or Halo 4 until we get a much better shooter mmo.