Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review by a defiance player from the Defiance forum

2»

Comments

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

The writing has been on the wall for this game since way before release.  It's been out for what, two days, and a large percentage of people largely describe it as "meh".  I could have saved them all a lot of money and told them that was clearly the case just from reading about it and watching YouTube vids.  It's a weak game, and it will die.  The TV show is NOT going to carry this game.  Hell, we don't even know if the TV show will last longer than a season.

I'm starting to believe that these companies have NO CLUE what a modern video game should be.  Regurgitated mediocrity is not going to cut it.  I like Trion too, or at least I thought I did watching how well they mananged Rift.  Even Rift is a fairly benign MMO though.

It's time for Indie companies to shine.  We need a shot of outside-the-box thinking in MMOs.

Thank you sir sage. Sadly not all of us posses the ability to see through crystal balls.

And seeing how you are the ONLY one with the clue regarding how modern video games should be made..why not just show it to the rest? i mean there is this guy who worked 9 years alone on game called DIVERGENCE and finally got the kickstarter funding but he actually did something instead of talking big on random gaming forums. He even went 2 years without seeing a penny and put everything in his MMO project.

I am sure you can do better. *rolls eyes*

I've been correct about every mediocre game to come out over the past five years.  I was having these exact conversations on these forums with people like YOU about SWTOR.  The initial undying love of fanboys was so powerful, you would have thought TOR was going to be the biggest game ever made.

I'll tell you what.  If I'm wrong, and this game blows up huge and becomes a top-5 MMO over the next few months, I'll buy a lifetime subscription (though I won't play it, because it still sucks).

As for your other ludicrous assertion, I don't have to MAKE games to know when a game design is good.  In fact, I would say a large problem with the MMO industry is that the developers themselves are not in touch with how their own games play, or what the community wants. By your logic, game developers should all be producing massively successful games, you know, since they know better than I do.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• corechambercorechamber Member UncommonPosts: 148
      Why do people only spread hate, every game forum is like this now.  You were to lazy to even post your own hate you had to use someone elses. A game is not bad because its not the game you wanted it to be.  It is the game you could have played in beta and also is the game thay have been interviewing about. 

Its not a traditional mmo or fps and its not trying to be, its something different.  I just wish people would enjoy games for what they are and not what they expect them to be. And I understand that some games hype to much but normally and now this is not the case.

Im sorry to vent if it makes you happy to spew hate all the time then do so, it just makes it so hard for people to come and read and talk about the things they did like about the game.  If you dislike something why waste your life on it?
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    Well maybe it won't blow anyone away, but it's #1 on Steam at the moment, I think that's pretty good.

Game is all right a fun shooter. And its B2P so a good deal and you can get i and out without feeling you are lagging bahind or something.

But the thing is  i like when people make some constructive crticism and atleast post some coherant thoughts regarding why game is bad and what should be done to improve it. Sadly OP has none of it.

I have a long list of negatives of Defiance but what OP is doing is being negative for sake of it as if Trion did him some bodily harm.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by Doogiehowser Originally posted by MindTrigger The writing has been on the wall for this game since way before release.  It's been out for what, two days, and a large percentage of people largely describe it as "meh".  I could have saved them all a lot of money and told them that was clearly the case just from reading about it and watching YouTube vids.  It's a weak game, and it will die.  The TV show is NOT going to carry this game.  Hell, we don't even know if the TV show will last longer than a season. I'm starting to believe that these companies have NO CLUE what a modern video game should be.  Regurgitated mediocrity is not going to cut it.  I like Trion too, or at least I thought I did watching how well they mananged Rift.  Even Rift is a fairly benign MMO though. It's time for Indie companies to shine.  We need a shot of outside-the-box thinking in MMOs.
    Thank you sir sage. Sadly not all of us posses the ability to see through crystal balls. And seeing how you are the ONLY one with the clue regarding how modern video games should be made..why not just show it to the rest? i mean there is this guy who worked 9 years alone on game called DIVERGENCE and finally got the kickstarter funding but he actually did something instead of talking big on random gaming forums. He even went 2 years without seeing a penny and put everything in his MMO project. I am sure you can do better. *rolls eyes*
    I've been correct about every mediocre game to come out over the past five years.  I was having these exact conversations on these forums with people like YOU about SWTOR.  The initial undying love of fanboys was so powerful, you would have thought TOR was going to be the biggest game ever made.

I'll tell you what.  If I'm wrong, and this game blows up huge and becomes a top-5 MMO over the next few months, I'll buy a lifetime subscription (though I won't play it, because it still sucks).

As for your other ludicrous assertion, I don't have to MAKE games to know when a game design is good.  In fact, I would say a large problem with the MMO industry is that the developers themselves are not in touch with how their own games play, or what the community wants. By your logic, game developers should all be producing massively successful games, you know, since they know better than I do.

So, usually the 'haters' are ranting every single new game that gets released because their friends in their main games are saying it's better, so they feel the need to put it down.

So, which game are you defending and is obviously the best?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

He has like 40 posts now, every single one bashing this game lol.

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Hey, Ive got a lifetime sub!  Its right next to my lifetime sub of GW2.  But seriously, we all know the game is going to be niche, all mmos are niche, except you know who.

• RedcorRedcor Member Posts: 426
    Originally posted by cm01

http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?15223-Impressions-after-a-day-playtime-short-review

He gave it a full review, but if you want the TDLR, skip to his finishing comments.

Posters in response seem to be agreeing with him about how awful Defiance is and how they can't believe Trion would release a game such as this.

3 pages and not everyone agrees with OP. I think you need to dig deeper.

I give you 1 / 10 for effort though.

Wow Doogie, Are you like the unofficial defender of this game or what ? Anytime someone has somthing negative to say about Defiance you are there to troll. If it's such a great game why are you not in it and how do you find the time on opening week to troll every post about this game ?

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can
    be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
    -Robert E. Howard

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268

I would give the game 8/10.

- I like shooters

- I like MMO's

- I like progression

- I like co-op

- I like PvP

• ariestearieste Member UncommonPosts: 3,309

Wow, apparently Defiance is so good that even people that hate it and think it's awful play it a lot.   Thanks OP!

"I’d rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."

- Raph Koster

Tried: AO,EQ,EQ2,DAoC,SWG,AA,SB,HZ,CoX,PS,GA,TR,IV,GnH,EVE, PP,DnL,WAR,MxO,SWG,FE,VG,AoC,DDO,LoTRO,Rift,TOR,Aion,Tera,TSW,GW2,DCUO,CO,STO
    Favourites: AO,SWG,EVE,TR,LoTRO,TSW,EQ2, Firefall
    Currently Playing: ESO

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    Just ignore cm01, don't feed the troll.  Like every one of his posts has been about how bad defiance is...roflmao.  sorry, I couldn't say that with a straight face.

I wouldn't ignore them, instead I would like him/her/it to expand on their reasoning just so we know where they are coming from with regards to this game. I don't like Funcom I got accused of trolling all the time but I never hid my dislike for that for the company or the reasons.  (Refusing to refund me on an expansion when it wouldn't play due to memory errors, instead offering me free game time for a game I couldn't play.  Banning me from the official forums because I complained too much and was overtly negative of AOC at the time). So I would just like cm01 to explain why he/she/it is adopting this quite obvious anti-Defiance stance?

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664

If Tor is a 4/10 then Defiance is 6/10.  It does have a short shelf life, but why does an mmo need to be a game you can play 24/7 forever?  Hop in have some fun, hop out. Buy the new content when it comes out and enjoy yourself for a few more hours.

It might not be a top 5 mmo, but its fun (for a while).

• LivnthedreamLivnthedream Member Posts: 555
    Originally posted by DMKano

Its a weak game? Lol.

Trion was an indie company just 3 years ago before Rift. 

Again you haven't even played Defiance and your mind is 100% made up against it In every post. Just like OP. 

Sweet.

Wait what? Trion got $100m of investment capital for its startup. Inirially as a tech startup for back end server tech. Rift actually started as a demo to show it off and turned into a fully fledged game.

That being said, it IS a weak game, on a number of levels. Even leaving aesthetic out of it, the poor graphical fidelity and complete lack of real options leaves the game looking a mess. Even something as simple as proper AA would have done a world of good. But then we have been over this before and you either forgive all of its issues because its "fun" or simply ignore/attempt to refute based on some mystical lack of knowledge/calling them a hater.

• McGamerMcGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,073
    Both the Op and the writer of the "review" are just a couple more delusional posters as to how imperfect any MMO is. Defiance is not unique in this aspect. 
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Muke

Originally posted by MindTrigger The writing has been on the wall for this game since way before release.  It's been out for what, two days, and a large percentage of people largely describe it as "meh".  I could have saved them all a lot of money and told them that was clearly the case just from reading about it and watching YouTube vids.  It's a weak game, and it will die.  The TV show is NOT going to carry this game.  Hell, we don't even know if the TV show will last longer than a season. I'm starting to believe that these companies have NO CLUE what a modern video game should be.  Regurgitated mediocrity is not going to cut it.  I like Trion too, or at least I thought I did watching how well they mananged Rift.  Even Rift is a fairly benign MMO though. It's time for Indie companies to shine.  We need a shot of outside-the-box thinking in MMOs.
    Thank you sir sage. Sadly not all of us posses the ability to see through crystal balls. And seeing how you are the ONLY one with the clue regarding how modern video games should be made..why not just show it to the rest? i mean there is this guy who worked 9 years alone on game called DIVERGENCE and finally got the kickstarter funding but he actually did something instead of talking big on random gaming forums. He even went 2 years without seeing a penny and put everything in his MMO project. I am sure you can do better. *rolls eyes*

So, usually the 'haters' are ranting every single new game that gets released because their friends in their main games are saying it's better, so they feel the need to put it down.

So, which game are you defending and is obviously the best?

Currently, the market is full of mediocre games, and in my opinion, none of them are "the best".  This game, in my opinion, is another example of an also-ran.  Since you basically asked what I am playing, I'm bouncing back and forth between GW2 and LOTRO at the moment, hoping eventually someone is going to release a new game that is actually engaging again.  I would have loved for this game (and FireFall) to be decent, but at this point, they aren't anything worth purchasing IMO.

I don't "hate" Defiance.  I'm just tired of shallow games, and I don't mind speaking my opinion about them on these forums, since that's what they are here for.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

The writing has been on the wall for this game since way before release.  It's been out for what, two days, and a large percentage of people largely describe it as "meh".  I could have saved them all a lot of money and told them that was clearly the case just from reading about it and watching YouTube vids.  It's a weak game, and it will die.  The TV show is NOT going to carry this game.  Hell, we don't even know if the TV show will last longer than a season.

I'm starting to believe that these companies have NO CLUE what a modern video game should be.  Regurgitated mediocrity is not going to cut it.  I like Trion too, or at least I thought I did watching how well they mananged Rift.  Even Rift is a fairly benign MMO though.

It's time for Indie companies to shine.  We need a shot of outside-the-box thinking in MMOs.

Thank you sir sage. Sadly not all of us posses the ability to see through crystal balls.

And seeing how you are the ONLY one with the clue regarding how modern video games should be made..why not just show it to the rest? i mean there is this guy who worked 9 years alone on game called DIVERGENCE and finally got the kickstarter funding but he actually did something instead of talking big on random gaming forums. He even went 2 years without seeing a penny and put everything in his MMO project.

I am sure you can do better. *rolls eyes*

People who are full of it..they just TALK..because that is all they are good for. People who are talented and can actually do great things in life? their actions speaks louder.

Do i need to tell you what category you belong to? 

And i wouldn't have made the ludicruous assertion if you didn't open your mouth and acted like you are the only one with the clue on what modern MMOS need.

You anyone can be a food critic. You don't need to be an expert chef to tell food tastes like ass. But when you start telling the CHEF that 'hey you got no clue on how to make this dish'..you better back up your words and show him how good you are. otherwise you just open yourself to mockery.

By the way predicting future of MMOS is like throwing poop on the wall..sooner or later some of it will stick. So if i was you i wouldn't go patting myself on back for making poop stick on the wall.

So give me a beak..you are nothing, you have done nothing and you will never do anything..except for big hot air as usual.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• DerrosDerros Member UncommonPosts: 1,216
    To me, its a heck of a lot better than most of those 6-8 hour single player games, that ALSO sell for $60. 
  • AmanaAmana Moderator UncommonPosts: 3,912
    As the OP used this to repeatedly attack others and there's  little discussion here, locked.

To give feedback on moderation, contact [email protected]

This discussion has been closed.