Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Open Minded Pros & Cons for those on the fence

SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

First of all I must say I am a fan of the game, I find the game very solid and refreshing, This is the first MMO I've put time into in 2 years after basically giving up on the genre until a open world sand box pvp game comes out. In the short time i've played it extending back to Beta 3 I definately feel my 59.99 + 29.99 for the season pass was well spent but i'll provide some bullet points to the potential consumer to break down some noteable points without a mass of text and also some points of fail. 

- Co-op (win): This means PvE centric, there has never been a time I thought this game would be focused around PvP and Trion never indicated it would, Trion has multiple facets of PvP currently and could potentially expand on it later but until then co-op is more then enough to kill some hours, missions scale by the number of active players in the area and I believe in the group as I found some missions incredibly hard with a group of 3. Hard means fun to me though. By hard I mean I die a couple times 

- Death (Fail): No real penalty, lose some currency spawn close by.

- No fall damage (Fail): Some of that's silly, I guess it functions well because most mountains or ledges seem to be unscalable without a vehicle but either way first time in a serious MMO i've seen it this way.

- Collision Detection (Fail & Win): The driving through people thing is dumb, but it stops all kinds of online griefing and trolling so I accept it.

- Chat (Fail & Win): There is no Global chat which makes some of the social interaction difficult, yet avoids all the spam and chat trolling that could happen. Global chat being excluded leaves room for immersion by forcing players to do things locally and not globally. There are queues for co-op pvp and dungeons so there ya go.

- Story (Win): How could this be anything different, the story thus far is well written and inspires me to progress and help out. The side missions had a load of time you'll get from this box, definately longer than any console fps in some time. Other than games like Skyrim where if you did everything it would greatly out do the content of this game... currently... this is an mmo ever evolving to the tv show progression.

- Leveling (Win): Incredibly unique system that is really really easy, no mind numbing grind. You perform missions with the hopes of getting good gear or attachments and while playing the game you advance rapidly. Believe I put a few hours in on one character had 100 EGO few hours on another had 100 EGO, Time flew by and my character got progressively stronger.

- Aiming (Win): Not as hardcore as a straight up FPS but I notice myself miss a lot if I don't put effort into aiming. Maybe higher tiered weapons will have larger hitboxes I dunno, but currently I can see the skill factor. 

- UI (Fail): I've gotten use to it but it's vastly unecessary, all mmo's should just keep it simple, escape > menu (all options) 

- Arkfalls (Mixed Emotions): They're large, hard and extravagant, some of them are progressive and lead to bigger harder Arkfalls (I think... Maybe they just fell one after another uniquely and just happened to get harder?) Either way I really enjoyeyed the co-op of them yet I find some of the grind on the elite mobs of them to be boring, I generally dislike raids in mmo's because the idea of me and 30 other people bashing something in the face 140,000 times to kill it is fun killing to me. So maybe i'll notice a change towards cap where I have better items and skills and those around me also do? Until then I like them yet dislike hitting the main mobs for 10 minutes each =(

- Costumes (Win & Fail): I feel they fit the criteria of the world they're creating but they definately should of given more sci-fi looking options instead of multiple ways to look like you're homeless. The win part is I like the options of altering my attire and being different from others but I dislike the current options of what I can use, The Collectors edition skin is awesome though and more my style. 

- Talent Progression (Win): Only Ultima Online had a better system so far... I love this system, it's not so restrictive or complicated, you go the direction you choose to go and I recently leveled up my shotgun skill, I saw it randomly... go up +1 so I assume the more you use a weapon or kill with a weapon you are building up skill in that weapon. 

- Factions (Fail): There is none, this is where the PvP needs to come from, faction wars or even race wars. In a world like this I can't see them not releasing some type of faction content eventually, maybe it would of been tv show spoilers so they had to hold out? 

- Box Cost (Fail): 59.99 is the console price for games, the pc port should be 49.99 either way I paid it and am satisfied, it's still the most expensive standard edition MMO i've bought to date. 

- Character Editor (Fail): Options are too limited, it was enough for me to find a couple looks I could go with but definately limited and similar to Rift, They could have done more. 

- Exploits (Fail): There are still exploits that people are using to get insane scores on the competitive games. Hopefully these get fixed.

- Inventory + Loot Drops (Fail): THe inventory was made small so a player who need to buy an increasement in bag space, I got the arkfall codes and steam tier 3 additions so I have 32 slots which seems to be enough, which brings me to loot, theres not a large quantity of loot to drop, itemization is incredibly low in this game.

- Loot drops 2 (Win): Loot drops according to your EGO level and is only lootable by the person who it spawned for.

- Loot Equip (WTF Fail): Maybe this is user error but when i'm in combat and I want to grab that shiney blue item glisening it auto equips it and them i'm stuck with a pistol instead of a shotgun unless I open my inventory and reequip  my gun... So basically don't loot during combat, I'm assuming a Defiance dev was a hardcore raider and put this feature in to make people quit doing that rofl. 

All in all I'm really liking this game and Trion is now officially the only MMO company I trust until another proves to be as devoted to their product and it's fans get their money worth. 

Comments

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

Thanks for the post. I think I'm finally going to pick this up now. Green Man Gaming has it for $48 (with the 20% voucher), so I imagine I will definitely get my moneys worth on it. And it's buy to play, so I can come and go as I please without dealing with the sub fees.

Thanks,

TJ

• ZoeMcCloskeyZoeMcCloskey Member UncommonPosts: 1,372

Good write-up, this is one I have paid zero attention to up till now.  But still always like to know what new games have or don't have going for them.  It does have some interesting concepts.

Is it only FPS or can you play third person?  TPS style?

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

Your problem with the loot equip issue is something you're doing yourself. If you see a nice blue item and you want to just pick it up, tap the E key. If you want to equip it you hold the E key down. I suspect you are holding down the E key for too long and that's why that item is being equipped.

It's a feature that's not widely known. Try it next time you get the chance and you'll see how it works.

Edit:

For Zoe, it's third person only, there's no first person view.

• pal18pal18 Member UncommonPosts: 45

Originally posted by SupportPlayerMM

- Loot Equip (WTF Fail): Maybe this is user error but when i'm in combat and I want to grab that shiney blue item glisening it auto equips it and them i'm stuck with a pistol instead of a shotgun unless I open my inventory and reequip  my gun... So basically don't loot during combat, I'm assuming a Defiance dev was a hardcore raider and put this feature in to make people quit doing that rofl. 

press E to loot
    hold E to eqiup

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by DMKano

The game is third person shooter, but scoped weapons (yes there are more than just sniper rifles, there are long range rocket launchers that are scoped, assault rifles etc...) Switch to first person view when using the scope.

Also another thing I like is if you are running away and pan the camera to look behind you at the bad guys chasing you ... Hit G and you will toss a grenade over your shoulder, haha. Awesome.

This is something I was missing when I played the beta weekend. Can you tell us which key lets you pan the camera? Or it it just a look backwards, either way I'd like to know which key it is.

• xenomxenom Member UncommonPosts: 116

i'd advise looking around a little for good deals on the game :) i personally was on the fence and was unsure to get it for 50 euros like on steam or something...

i found a deal and preordered mine for 29 euros and got me the season pass for another 29. i find that to be total worth for a very decent game that hopefully will improve quite a lot with free updates and the DLC's...i kinda trust in trion here as the progress of rift was very good as well :)

• SupportPlayerMMSupportPlayerMM Member Posts: 310

Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

Thanks for the post. I think I'm finally going to pick this up now. Green Man Gaming has it for $48 (with the 20% voucher), so I imagine I will definitely get my moneys worth on it. And it's buy to play, so I can come and go as I please without dealing with the sub fees.

Thanks,

TJ

No problem, Hope you enjoy the game as much as I have and others around here.

Originally posted by ZoeMcCloskey

Good write-up, this is one I have paid zero attention to up till now.  But still always like to know what new games have or don't have going for them.  It does have some interesting concepts.

Is it only FPS or can you play third person?  TPS style?

TPS only

Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Your problem with the loot equip issue is something you're doing yourself. If you see a nice blue item and you want to just pick it up, tap the E key. If you want to equip it you hold the E key down. I suspect you are holding down the E key for too long and that's why that item is being equipped.

It's a feature that's not widely known. Try it next time you get the chance and you'll see how it works.

Thanks