Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Be Warned the game looks to be very short!

Comments

• Agent_JosephAgent_Joseph Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

I don't care for story in any mmo,this genre is abouth players interactions not soloable gameplay

Defiance is great shooter mmo

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by RexGarvin
    Another SWTOR ripoff!!!  These companys are not interested in a true mmo but only in a quck money making game. At least this game didnt kill off another game(like SWTOR killed off SWG)to make sure it got every dime out of the public.

Ok that is it... i am leaving earth. This planet is getting too stupid for me. 

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    Originally posted by Agent_Joseph

I don't care for story in any mmo,this genre is abouth players interactions not soloable gameplay

Defiance is great shooter mmo

+1

If I want a good story I read a book or watch a movie.

I want to be interactive when I play. Not watching cutscenes.

• Alexander.BAlexander.B Member UncommonPosts: 90
    The game IS very short if you're doing the main story (approx: 8-10 hours completion time).
    Originally posted by JustAHermit
    The game IS very short if you're doing the main story (approx: 8-10 hours completion time).

Lucikly, the game isn't a SP game - meaning the game won't end after completing story mission.

Which, gets updated with the TV show.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by Panthien
    Originally posted by DeaconX
    Originally posted by RexGarvin
    Another SWTOR ripoff!!!  These companys are not interested in a true mmo but only in a quck money making game. At least this game didnt kill off another game(like SWTOR killed off SWG)to make sure it got every dime out of the public.

How exactly is this a SWTOR ripoff? Really lost here... the games play nothing alike, btw.

I gues he means you use a computer keyboad and mouse, there for its a swtor ripoff.

Sillyness aside, the game gives great vallue for its price, sure it just may not be everyones game but then again.. what game is?

But but there is a guy who managed to finish the current content in 12 hours! Well.. thats already more then the entire crysis series offered to me, borderlands (either) didnt even last 6 hours to complete and difficulties, though I admit I didnt play all the classes. Bioshock 1-3? 2-4 hours to complete, starcraft? WC? simulair story. Any of the diablo games (and their payed expantions) never past 4 hours. Granted all of the above ended up with some minor re-running and in most cases some multi-play time.

Those games are primarily PVP games (except Bioshock) so they can in no way be compared to Defiance.

Jerokane.

Depends on the player.

Defiance can be as PvP as you want.

WC3/SC2 can be as PvE as you want.

• fiontarfiontar Member UncommonPosts: 3,682

I'm having fun. I'm enjoying the story. I'm enjoying the combat. I'm enjoying the Arkfalls.

However, yeah, I think it's time to start calling an MMO released with a way too small game world "pulling a Trion". I was disappojnted how small the world in Rift was at release, but the Defiance world is even smaller. By a good margin. Not sure how much smaller in square kilometers, but with vehicle travel as fast as it is, the world certainly feels way too small.

I had set out the metric that 100+ hours from the at release game would be enough to be worth it. I'm starting to worry that I may not get even half that.

There are a lot of side missions and other persuits and the AI and mission design make most of them pretty fun, but the story makes the game for me, so I'm sad to hear that it's extrtemely short. I'm maybe 2/3 of the way down the map, following the story and doing some side missions along the way. I'm not sure what that means for how much of the story is left, I'm think I may want to pace myself on the story a bit more and do more side missions to try to extend game play.

All that said, I do feel like the game will enhance my enjoyment of the series, so if the series lives up to it's potential, the game won't have been a complete waste of time/money.

However, I think this game is turning out to be an extremely niche title and I would recommend it to others only with a fairly long list of caveats.

Want to know more about GW2 and why there is so much buzz? Start here: Guild Wars 2 Mass Info for the Uninitiated

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by fiontar

I'm having fun. I'm enjoying the story. I'm enjoying the combat. I'm enjoying the Arkfalls.

However, yeah, I think it's time to start calling an MMO released with a way too small game world "pulling a Trion". I was disappojnted how small the world in Rift was at release, but the Defiance world is even smaller. By a good margin. Not sure how much smaller in square kilometers, but with vehicle travel as fast as it is, the world certainly feels way too small.

I had set out the metric that 100+ hours from the at release game would be enough to be worth it. I'm starting to worry that I may not get even half that.

There are a lot of side missions and other persuits and the AI and mission design make most of them pretty fun, but the story makes the game for me, so I'm sad to hear that it's extrtemely short. I'm maybe 2/3 of the way down the map, following the story and doing some side missions along the way. I'm not sure what that means for how much of the story is left, I'm think I may want to pace myself on the story a bit more and do more side missions to try to extend game play.

All that said, I do feel like the game will enhance my enjoyment of the series, so if the series lives up to it's potential, the game won't have been a complete waste of time/money.

However, I think this game is turning out to be an extremely niche title and I would recommend it to others only with a fairly long list of caveats.

The sad thing is tho, that (except UK peeps) no one outside US will be able to enjoy the TV series and experience the tie in.

As SyFy only launches Defiance in US and UK territory next week. /facepalm

So pretty much most EU players will only experience the game itself and then (without the TV serie tie in experience) it will become pretty bland and shallow.

I really do not understand why they didn't create a season pass for the TV series as well, so people outside US and UK can at least watch the TV series online and experience the full story and tie in with the game. /shrug

• fallenlordsfallenlords Member UncommonPosts: 683

As far as I know the game will be expanded with at least 5 DLC packs.  So not sure that judging the game as short is right, when we probably only have half the game at the moment.  You should remember this is PC, Xbox and PS3 game - so it is following closer to console rules than say PC.  12 hour main storyline I would say is about right for console play, average wise and especially with it being a shooter.  That is If you just want to blitz through the game. But don't see the point of doing that at all. 

If you play like a console gamer then take your time until they announce the first DLC release date.

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by JeroKane

The sad thing is tho, that (except UK peeps) no one outside US will be able to enjoy the TV series and experience the tie in.

So pretty much most EU players will only experience the game itself and then (without the TV serie tie in experience) it will become pretty bland and shallow.

I really do not understand why they didn't create a season pass for the TV series as well, so people outside US and UK can at least watch the TV series online and experience the full story and tie in with the game. /shrug

Can you please explain your statement? All series appear almost instantly on torrents as soon as they are aired live...I really have no idea what are you on about!

Originally posted by ConjureOne

Can you please explain your statement? All series appear almost instantly on torrents as soon as they are aired live...I have really no idea what are you on about!

You know... Not everyone pirate things...

However. Putting this on Netflix or similar would be awesome 

• ConjureOneConjureOne Member UncommonPosts: 233
    Originally posted by MikeJezZ

Can you please explain your statement? All series appear almost instantly on torrents as soon as they are aired live...I have really no idea what are you on about!

How can you pirate free series which are shown absolutely for free on TV? Are you serious right now?

How can you pirate free series which are shown absolutely for free on TV? Are you serious right now?

Because a TV show is on air doesn't mean it is free.

It is not legal to record a show, and share it. That's illegal.

• davestr1zldavestr1zl Member Posts: 218

Because a TV show is on air doesn't mean it is free.

It is not legal to record a show, and share it. That's illegal.

Also many people in other countries dont get access to the channels that the show airs on.

• daydreamerxxdaydreamerxx Member UncommonPosts: 178

The developers have said its not a mmorpg. It is a online action rpg.  I am greatly enjoying the game but it is short. Other games that are shorter ? All bioshock games, dmc, dishonored, battlefield series, call of duty series, crysis series. The list of extremely short games goes on.This game has a lot of faction grinding for gear and COOP maps to do as well. Plus there are the arkfalls.  I will say that questing gets old pretty quickly, and there isnt a lot of difference from mobs as you go. The game isnt the best thats for sure but its fun. 

I don't know about you guys but even if tv shows are not avilable in your region and you download torrents for it..it is still illegal. So i would mention it on open forums like this or encourage anyone to download torrents for Defiance.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424
    It wouldn't suprise me if they had the shows on their website...as most nerdy shows do these days...
    Originally posted by Gravarg
    It wouldn't suprise me if they had the shows on their website...as most nerdy shows do these days...

Might be. But probably for a fee.

• VembumeesVembumees Member Posts: 79
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    I don't know about you guys but even if tv shows are not avilable in your region and you download torrents for it..it is still illegal. So i would mention it on open forums like this or encourage anyone to download torrents for Defiance.

In some european countries for instance torrenting is 100% legal.

And I wouldn't ever encourage anyone to live under a rock just because of the laws of their greedy country. Visiting western websites like Youtube is illegal in some asian countries too. Doesn't make the person who does a thief, spy or a murderer.

Originally posted by Vembumees

And I wouldn't ever encourage anyone to live under a rock just because of the laws of their greedy country. Visiting western websites like Youtube is illegal in some asian countries too. Doesn't make the person who does a thief, spy or a murderer.

Torrent is legal.

Doesn't mean you may freely download free content.

It is also legal to drive.

And to drink alcohol.

It is illegal to drink alcohol while driving.

Dont make yourself stupid.

Because torrent is legal does it not mean you can ignore copyright.

Music videos etc on Youtube is for commercial use.

Never said torrenting is illegal but downloading of newly released tv series and movies is definitely illegal. And yes i live in Europe.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Never said torrenting is illegal but downloading of newly released tv series and movies is definitely illegal. And yes i live in Europe.

kind of curious which European countries its legal in tbh, as laws etc are pretty much the same throughout, maybe he meant a none European country where it was legal? I live in the UK, which technically is part of Europe, though not for much longer image

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775

Downloading is illegal, you can bypass that by streaming it instead which is not illegal in most countries. Some are trying to change the law to incorporate streaming but they have been unsuccessful so far. 

Copyright Office contends there is no violation when "a reproduction manifests itself so fleetingly that it cannot be copied, perceived or communicated."

• NephaeriusNephaerius Member UncommonPosts: 1,671
    I was planning to avoid this game altogether but I picked it up cause some friends did.  Went in with 0 expecations.  In fact I thought I was going to be extremely disappointed.  However, I was pleasantly surprised.  Played a good 6 or so hours last night.  Didn't seem to make it too far into the story at all maybe only 4 missions or so with all the side quests, hotspots, racing ,etc.

Steam: Neph