Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

What a difference a day makes

13»

Comments

• DreskestDreskest El Paso, TXPosts: 69Member

Good for you OP, but my opinion about GW2 still hasn't changed.

I still think it's a shallow and mediocre game with horrendous storylines, and even worse voice acting. How do I know that ? My son still plays a bit, but I won't break his little heart telling him how I feel about it lol so I'll just go and mind my own business and play something I enjoy.  

• KalestonKaleston TrinecPosts: 173Member
    Originally posted by jpnole
    Originally posted by grimal

I'm not exactly sure what happened, but I had been playing this game as a nightly dessert to my SWTOR gaming sessions.  Suddenly,  one particular day about two weeks ago, something hit me.  I'm not sure what it was exactly, but I think something had changed in the angle I was viewing this game.  Rather hard to describe exactly, but something just clicked.  I think the problem with a lot of our perceptions comes from the way that the industry and media like to pigeon-hole these games into a certain genre/category/type (FPS, MMO, etc. etc.) We've become so entrenched in what those type of games mean to us and the way in which we play them that we have become conditioned to what we find enjoyment out of. 

Anyways, whatever this change in my view is, I've come to accept it.   In this last week I've had some of the best MMORPG playtimes that I have had in quite some time.  Found incredibly nice, mature individuals to play with.  Reminded me of back in the old days.  Funny, what I had been looking for was sitting right there all this time.  I just needed a little time to form my own opinion.

In short, I am having an absolutely great time playing this little gem of a game.

Got my Elementalist up to level 80.  Bought an additional character slot and created a Ranger (which I find incredibly entertaining for some reason; odd because I don't tend to play ranged classes).  Been popping on my 80 Warrior a bit, plan on getting my Mesmer to higher levels.  So much to do but so much fun in doing it.

SWTOR's expansion is coming out in a week or so (which I preordered), but something tells me I'll be busy with GW2.

Check back in 2 weeks and see if you feel the same way. Also, everyone should ask themselves how many times they were enjoying an MMO when suddenly.... BAM! You hit that wall and you realize you've been wasting your time on another themepark EQ/WoW clone. There is nothing fundamentally different about SWTOR or GW2 compared to the other games you and others have long burned out on. Basically, I suspect your new found interest will be very fleeting.

We are all essentially functional gameahaolics and as such, we have to be playing something. Your SWTOR burnout led to your GW2 interest and you will soon burn out on GW2 and either go back to SWTOR or find something else.

I'm not sure why you attack themeparks here... this exactly same thing happened to me in many sandparks I've played... After all when you realize it's all pixels and bits in memory, you must come to this conclusion.

There is one huge difference in GW2 though. It's VERY casual oriented game (so far that many players can't get into it, because they lack raids and progression). This means people that understand this will be playing it for fun. They won't take it as a meaning of life as many did with WoW/EQ/Sandparks (I know I did with WoW back in the days). And honestly, if you play a game just for fun, you can't be easily burned out... the same way as with any other fun activity in real world. Of course you can get bored of it sometime in future, but you get eventually bored of everything.

• KalestonKaleston TrinecPosts: 173Member
    Originally posted by drakaena

To this day I am still baffled how ANet flubbed up PvP so horrifically in GW2. The mechanics are there, the gameplay, lot's of potential, I noticeably miss dodge in other games that do not offer the feature, but the way in which they chose to package PvP is awful, and ultimately, unplayable longterm. It's a quick fix game imo.

Build diversity doesn't mean much to me if all I am doing is repetitive gameplay for a bunch of nothing. Sure, events and dungeons are cool for a few go-arounds, but then what? Do it again and again... why? It wasn't THAT fun. All my opinion, of course.

I'm getting old now, and life has caught up to me, so if a game doesn't hook me, I won't force it.

If they ever get around to adding a competitive rating system, and actual guild wars with rivalries, where winning and losing matter, not this everyone get's a gold star BS because we are all special snowflakes, I would come back and play.

And here we are! Perfect example of a person I was referring to in my previous post :)

I don't mean to preach or say "you must like this game". It's just fun because this game is exact opposite of what people expect from MMORPG (AKA WoW clone) and so many people are "baffled" because they can't uderstand different people like different things and if the game didn't click with them, that doesn't necessarily means it didn't click with differently oriented bunch.

• grimalgrimal Stamford, CTPosts: 2,874Member Uncommon

Check back in 2 weeks and see if you feel the same way. Also, everyone should ask themselves how many times they were enjoying an MMO when suddenly.... BAM! You hit that wall and you realize you've been wasting your time on another themepark EQ/WoW clone. There is nothing fundamentally different about SWTOR or GW2 compared to the other games you and others have long burned out on. Basically, I suspect your new found interest will be very fleeting.

We are all essentially functional gameahaolics and as such, we have to be playing something. Your SWTOR burnout led to your GW2 interest and you will soon burn out on GW2 and either go back to SWTOR or find something else.

To appease you, I'll definitely do that.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer ChairPosts: 5,596Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by grimal

To appease you, I'll definitely do that.

I know this was directed at the OP, but I made a very similar post to the OP's exactly 2 weeks ago today (3/20) Of course, that's when I posted this. I've actually been playing GW2 since right after the holidays. I have 826 hrs in GW2 at this point and I don't see the wall yet.

13»