Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Dungeon Fighter Online: Bidding Farewell on June 13th

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

According to a new post on the Dungeon Fighter Online site, the game will begin a ramp-down process on April 11th in preparation for a June 13, 2013 shutdown of the three year old game published by Nexon.

For more than three years, our teams worked hard in hopes of building a strong community through new content updates, service fixes, and events.  We tirelessly battled hackers and farmers.  We even had the honor of presenting the game to you at E3 and PAX.  However, Dungeon Fighter Online was not able to grow beyond its very special and proud core following.

Sadly, Dungeon Fighter Online has not attracted enough player interest to properly service the game.  Internally, we struggled deeply with the popularity of DFO in North America as the title is immensely popular overseas.  For more than three years, we went through many milestones and several pushes before we came to this very difficult decision.

Read the full letter on the Dungeon Fighter Online site.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• exile02exile02 Member UncommonPosts: 15

[mod edit] China had forbidden console games generally. So many f2p mmo games popped up. It doesnt matter how many play that game there. They are used with bad quality games-where we are spoiled. Succes there, doesnt mean success here.

It worked in the beginning-where the new f2p era shined for a short time. But pls, we have had so many bad games imported here- that its enough.

DFO wasnt a good game either. And the ip bann made it hard for europe players to get even in and try. [mod edit]

• gaeanprayergaeanprayer Member UncommonPosts: 2,341
    Doesn't surprise me, Nexon doesn't have a clue how to run their games properly. DFO is actually a fun game, not hardcore but a good game to play casually, but Nexon's insistance on making it cash shop-dependant, the terrible security leading to tons of hackings, the crappy customer support and numerous other problems just make them the wrong publisher for this game. Hopefully someone else will pick it up.

"Forums aren't for intelligent discussion; they're for blow-hards with unwavering opinions."

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    from the way nexon runs their games i tihnk they deserve any losses they get

hallo ~_~

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589
    It's an enjoyable game. However, it's rather cash-shop dependent. 

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• DragonantisDragonantis Member UncommonPosts: 974
    It makes you think what games could follow...
  • bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    :[ guess i'll uninstall ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ ;[ good bye

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340
    Nexon takes good products and then destroys them with the lack of GM support, jury rigged localization fixes, and downright silly cash shop pricing.
  • LuckcrazyLuckcrazy Member Posts: 6
    Open the game world-wide and problem solved, please...
  • NovusodNovusod Member UncommonPosts: 912
    DFO was not bad. The graphics where 20 years out of date though about equal to Moral Kombat Arcade games from 1993. If DFO was playable on Smart Phone I bet it would be huge.
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I just re-downloaded it after a few years' time, but even now I had other things to play so I didn't get into it.  Oh well, it was a great concept but it gets kind of repetitive after a while.  I think that's the case with all of these "fighting" MMOs though.  At least for me. 
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Seeya next rename / region release for those who will play it again once it re-opens.

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Member UncommonPosts: 340

The artstyle was intentional, it wasn't some exercize in laziness.

They had actually drawn the inspiration of the game on 90's brawlers, with a focus on the D&D arcade games on the CAPCOM CPS2 hardware.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by DarkVagabond

The artstyle was intentional, it wasn't some exercize in laziness.

They had actually drawn the inspiration of the game on 90's brawlers, with a focus on the D&D arcade games on the CAPCOM CPS2 hardware.

Yeah, it reminded me of the Guilty Gear games.

• UDproxUDprox Member UncommonPosts: 21
    I had fun playing this with a few of my friends shortly after it was released, but Nexon has the worst support I've ever had to deal with. It took 14 months for them to "investigate" my account after it was compromised. After that wonderful experience, I've yet to play any of their other games.
  • fascismfascism Member UncommonPosts: 428
    this game isnt bad by anymeans and world wide is pretty popular never caught on in USA(probs nexons fault) even though the nexon version is 4 years old I think it stayed live due to wishful thinking because of its popularity in other parts of the world
  • VaultFairyVaultFairy Member UncommonPosts: 566
    That sucks! I was hoping for at least a EU release though.
  • YuuiYuui Member UncommonPosts: 723

Gee I wonder why is this closing.

Can't possibly have anything to do with:

1. Nexon's horrible ipblocking policies(where company ipblocks EU with promises of "Eu release" 454854646 years latter when no one cares and THEN it is revealed that half of EU will STILL won't able to play because Nexon will still be ipblocking them in EU version too).
    2. Nexon's horrible custommer support.
    I find it hilarious that they talk about how they could not find popularity in western countries, considering they intentionally refused to release the game for half of the western world. 

# A GRIM, ODD, ARCANE SKY
    # ANY GOD, I MARK SACRED
    # A MASKED CRY ADORING
    # A DREAMY, SICK DRAGON

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    when i see nexon, i avoid.
  • 624471209624471209 Member Posts: 1

I just had to sign up for this forum just to reply to your comment.

If you think that nexon play a less significant role than the quality of the game itself in this tragedy, you are definitely wrong. I've seen too many comments that address the problem that nexon has already in many gaming sites out there announcing the death of DFO.

I can definitely say that DnF IS A GREAT GAME, despite it's success in China, Korea, Japan, and the recent revival in Taiwan, it's one of the most popular games out there, and nexon just doesn't seem to give a sxxt. I assume that you are just one of those 3D game players who play WOW and COD or something like that who think that an advanced graphic system is superior and that's what makes a game a "good game". 

DnF has one of the most complex yet well constructed, fascinating, and creative pvp system, it's why people miss and cherish it. 

PS: writing to the first comment here, kinda old

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Novusod
    DFO was not bad. The graphics where 20 years out of date though about equal to Moral Kombat Arcade games from 1993. If DFO was playable on Smart Phone I bet it would be huge.
    Out of date? Its an art style. You kids just don't know the power of 2d sprite gaming haha I'm old.

Anyway, this is a fun online beat em up. Played for a while. The grind started to melt my face a little so I took a break. Too bad its going away. Always was a fun one to jump back in from time to time.

• CelesteRaiCelesteRai Member Posts: 1

Let me say this to all who did or did not play Dungeon Fighter Online. I have played this game since season 1 act 1 the beginning of Female Gunners. It was the best game to play when I played it. I hit cap 70 about the same time Male mage was introduced. Of all the nights and day of my time I spend on this game. I have done so. Many players had spend their money on this game. Heck I won one of Nexon's contest during the time just for the sake hoping people would see anyone can play. Now, to say lack of players is just insulted us who have been playing for a long time. I am not going to rant about it because it is true as you can surf around of people's reaction.

Now many find ways to go into Taiwan Dungeon and Fighter as well as China Dungeon and Fighter. However, it must goes with the language block. Which several people have made programs to translate most of the items and what it says. And this is from people who really love the game. Unfortunately for some like myself who cannot go in to these areas hoping to play it would be difficult. Does it makes us not love the game? No. We all do. Those that find ways to play China Dungeon and Fighter as well as Taiwan Dungeon and Fighter have started over persay with their characters and how to play. 

What it all mean? Meaning that it cannot be the players if the players would still play this lovely game as we have to find other means of doing so. It would hinder people with the language but eventually, that would turn out better when eventually someone either in China or Taiwan would make an english text for all of the items. Those who do got in they go by memorized of items from DFO. Anyone can still play if they are desperate enough to go to overseas Dungeon and Fighter.

If it ever comes back here, you would find it would flood. From those that play the China or Taiwan version to the people who simply waited so long for it. Just like a friend told me no one knows. That news of Nexon Shutting down and several of us posted on Youtube our goodbye remarks to the great game.

Now for those who says about smartphones someone had made an app for one. A female gunner quest. So just find it. We still have the Xbox Dungeon and Fighter fall of Hendon Myre still but again we have to pay for that version.  

Bottom Line:  The game is still available just need to jump through hoops to play it.