Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I will wait till Defiance goes F2P......

DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

WHAT? anyone else just ....

How is that even possible? B2P going F2P? does that make sense to anyone here? i have read this so many times that i can not believe that people are actually waiting for a B2P MMO to go F2P.

I need more facepalms ;(

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
-Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
-Luke McKinney

Comments

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Hm...... maybe I buy the game for $60 and get a rebate for that entire amount I need to redeem.  In this scenario it could be considered B2P game that becomes a F2P game after the rebate.  Hey !   This is the future of gaming.   I want a B2P -F2P game model!
  • udonudon Member UncommonPosts: 1,803

There will come a time when the base game will be $39.99 or $19.99 or even $9.99 on sale but how far into the future that day is who knows.  Some people thinks it's going to be in 90 days others think it will be in decades.  My guess is somewhere in between those two estimates.

• RyowulfRyowulf Member UncommonPosts: 664
    Its on Stream, so you never know, but I would assume 3 to 4 months when boxsells are lagging.  There will be a sale of $29, and a lot more bugs will be fixed, so win win.
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Good grief...Atleast wait for the first season of the TV show to come to a conclusion
  • jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

There's no logical reason why a B2P couldn't go F2P. It's the same a P2P going F2P you just get a bit more for free. You don't buy the client in either case, but also don't pay a sub in the case of the P2P.

Why does any game go F2P? To get numbers up, and hopefully generate income from the cash shop. In the case of defiance I doubt it will happen any time soon. If SWTOR can make it 12 months before failing so badly it HAD to go F2P I think Defiance has a decent chance of making it at least that long.

But to answer the question, ANY MMO can go F2P, regardless of it's original pricing model. The question isn't "How", more of a "Why".

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    lol I don't see it going F2P anytime soon.  I just want a lower price that's all.  I think the game will do well enough, but it won't "change entertainment as we know it" like someone said in another thread.  That's just ridiculous.
  • PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Personally I want a F2P game to go B2P-P2P! Screw going free, I want it to become so good that it goes from not investment worthy to 'shut up and take my money' worthy!
  • DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

There's no logical reason why a B2P couldn't go F2P. It's the same a P2P going F2P you just get a bit more for free. You don't buy the client in either case, but also don't pay a sub in the case of the P2P.

Why does any game go F2P? To get numbers up, and hopefully generate income from the cash shop. In the case of defiance I doubt it will happen any time soon. If SWTOR can make it 12 months before failing so badly it HAD to go F2P I think Defiant has a decent chance of making it at least that long.

But to answer the question, ANY MMO can go F2P, regardless of it's original pricing model. The question isn't "How", more of a "Why".

The whole point of going B2P is to not go F2P. The only difference between B2P and F2P is that in former you pay for client in later you do not example Neverwinter.

The chances of a B2P MMO going F2P are as strong as a F2P MMO going P2P. In other words ..zero.

The only thing will change is box price. B2P models survive on client sales and cash shops along with DLC / expacs.

Did GW go F2P? will GW2 go F2P? what about  TSW? so yeah a P2P MMO can go F2P but a B2P MMO is designed to avoid that route of starting as P2P and then end up as a F2P title.

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    I'm waiting for all games to go PM2P. Pay me to Play.
  • KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Given Trions stance with Rift, and their seeming acceptance to deliver a quality product to a niche audience rather than chasing the MILLIONS AND MILLIONS I would not hold your breath for a full F2P conversion, especially if the show proves popular too, expect rapid paced DLC content delivery though.  Trion are well known for pumping out content at lightning pace, and if they have the backing to do it with this, they are one of the few studios nimble enough to actually manage the tie in thing properly.
  • pacovpacov Member Posts: 311
    Yes it can go F2P. It might seem bizzare but if a company wants to gain maximum profit, and if in 6 months they believe that they will make more money as F2P with cash shop they can certainately do that. Just because P2P games go F2P does not mean B2P can't. Sure they might put restrictions on F2P players but it still will have free to play content and I really do believe it will happen, seeing as it is a niche game.

Originally posted by pacov
    Yes it can go F2P. It might seem bizzare but if a company wants to gain maximum profit, and if in 6 months they believe that they will make more money as F2P with cash shop they can certainately do that. Just because P2P games go F2P does not mean B2P can't. Sure they might put restrictions on F2P players but it still will have free to play content and I really do believe it will happen, seeing as it is a niche game.

Ummm B2P models in principle means buy the game and play it without restrictions and without any obligation of monthly payment.. So why would they put restrictions on players? 

A P2P MMO masquerading F2P like SWTOR have something to gain  by putting restriction on players so that they end up buying a monthly sub but what benefit would a B2P title will have from restricting content? DLC is the main source of income for B2P models. that is something one has to buy any ways.

Its amazing really how people want everything for free. First 'we don't want to pay for monthly fee' so Anet came up with brilliant idea of B2P model which is essentialy F2P model with box price. So that players don't feel burden of monthly fee.

But now paying for client is also too much so yeah we want that for free too.

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Originally posted by Doogiehowser
    Originally posted by jmcdermottuk

Why does any game go F2P? To get numbers up, and hopefully generate income from the cash shop. In the case of defiance I doubt it will happen any time soon. If SWTOR can make it 12 months before failing so badly it HAD to go F2P I think Defiant has a decent chance of making it at least that long.

The whole point of going B2P is to not go F2P. The only difference between B2P and F2P is that in former you pay for client in later you do not example Neverwinter.

The chances of a B2P MMO going F2P are as strong as a F2P MMO going P2P. In other words ..zero.

The only thing will change is box price. B2P models survive on client sales and cash shops along with DLC / expacs.

Did GW go F2P? will GW2 go F2P? what about  TSW? so yeah a P2P MMO can go F2P but a B2P MMO is designed to avoid that route of starting as P2P and then end up as a F2P title.

I'm not saying that they WILL, I'm saying that there's no reason why they can't if they feel that it makes sense for them, if say, they're sales drop off.

P2P, F2P, B2P, they're all just pricing models. Any company is free to move from one to the other if they feel justified in doing so.

As I said it's not a question of How but of Why. As in" Why would we want to change to F2P". Let's look at GW2 as you mentioned it already. If in a few years they decide they can't be bothered to make any more expansions and box sales start to dry up, there's no reason for them not to go F2P, get more clients logging in, and in turn, pick up more sales in the cash shop. IF, big if this but IF, they think that they'll get more money by going F2P. F2P means lower entry barrier = more people playing the game (hopefully) = more cash shop sales if the % of players making cash shop purchases remains constant in a (theoretically) larger population.

They just need a reason to do it. The mechanics behind it are fairly simple. A lot more simple than a P2P game, in fact, because they already have a cash shop in place. Do I think GW2 will go F2P? No I don't. Could they do it if they felt it was a smart move? Damn right they could. As you said, all that would change is the box price. Making the box price zero fits that description too.

As I say I don't see it happeneing, but there's no reason they couldn't if they thought it was the best thing to do.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

Ummm B2P models in principle means buy the game and play it without restrictions and without any obligation of monthly payment.. So why would they put restrictions on players? 

A P2P MMO masquerading F2P like SWTOR have something to gain  by putting restriction on players so that they end up buying a monthly sub but what benefit would a B2P title will have from restricting content? DLC is the main source of income for B2P models. that is something one has to buy any ways.

Its amazing really how people want everything for free. First 'we don't want to pay for monthly fee' so Anet came up with brilliant idea of B2P model which is essentialy F2P model with box price. So that players don't feel burden of monthly fee.

Not entirely true, Defiance uses a episodic DLC which is purchased through the cash shop, its not really all that surprising that they may well end up releasing the game client for free, or at least for a very minimal charge, though this is really dependant on how well the game is doing, but if they need to boost numbers to increase revenue then its a method thats probably already planned for. image

• pacovpacov Member Posts: 311

It's not about the players it's about the company. Why wouldn't they let players play their game for free in like 6 months when their playerbase goes down? Why would they not use this opportunity to make more money by allowing a wider audience to access their game and earn extra money through cash shop... use your brain. Remember they don't have to do it, but it damn well is a possibility and calling out people because they say something which is realistic is really stupid. You made this thread to ask posters their opinions and you get majority saying there is a chance of F2P. Anything else you wanted?

• ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21

Defiance will never be free to play.   The #1 reason being...  that it is cross platform on ps3, xbox, and pc...  So no, this game will never ever be f2p.   $5 dollar bargain-bin?  Sure. But not free to play.  

EDIT:  

If they were to make the cash shop turn into pay to win, ie selling the best weapons and mods in the shop, then and only then could the game go F2P.  But if that were to happen, the game would be true and completely dead anyways.  So in regards to the OP and original topic, my first statement still stands.   The game will never go f2p while there is still a point to actually playing it.  So he/she will never play this game while it is worth playing, if they wait for it to go f2p.   Waiting for the price to drop to $40-$30, is a reasonable expectation however, and probably the "smart" move.

• VolgoreVolgore Member EpicPosts: 3,872

I could see the digital download PC version going for a 6,99 pretty soon, but then there is still MS and Sony and Trion has already shown that they dont want to make both parties angry.

They can't just throw the console boxes around at a 5$ discount like they can do it with PC keys, so i think they will try to hold up the price for the pc-version as long as possible, to justify the console-versions' price tag.

People would go mad if they'd have to pay 39,99 for the XBox while the pc-keys cost like 6,99. And in case this would happen, this would shurely be the last game Trion has made for the XBox.

• TehTicTehTic Member UncommonPosts: 36
    I would suspect that within 10 months the game will be free to play. The reason is it is not an overly good game to play, and they have already announced that the game will have season passes which will update the content to coincide with the TV series. Also it seems a few people are within a short time frame of  completing the game approximately within 12 hours.
  • DAS1337DAS1337 Member UncommonPosts: 2,610

I find it funny how people honestly won't pay $60 for a MMO that could offer hundreds of hours of fun, but they will pay the same price for Gears of War, or another equally short game experience.  I know you people do it.  You piss and moan about MMO's and you go buy Tomb Raider and beat it in less than a day.  

You all know it's true.  

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Originally posted by DAS1337

I find it funny how people honestly won't pay $60 for a MMO that could offer hundreds of hours of fun, but they will pay the same price for Gears of War, or another equally short game experience.  I know you people do it.  You piss and moan about MMO's and you go buy Tomb Raider and beat it in less than a day.  

You all know it's true.  

If the game actually offered hundreds of hours of fun, it would sertainly be worth the 60 bucks.

I mean... we can "rightfully" burn SW:TOR on the stake as the most expensive failure in gaming history... but that game actually had a decent amount of content at release to at least entertain you for a month or two (longer for the casual crowd).

Even if you play Defiance casually.... you finish all available missions within a week or two. The more seasoned MMO peeps around here will finish it within a couple days.

I played 6 hours yesterday and I am already halfway through the Main storyline and did a lot of side missions along the way as well. Also did 2 Arkfalls, but they were quite boring to be honest. Especially if you have played Rift before. They also seem to be bugged as they don't drop any real loot.

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440

You all know it's true.  

No I wouldn't.  Not everyone fits that nice little generalization you've made up to support your cause, but yeah some people do it.  The last game I spent $60 on that wasn't an MMO was Skyrim, and I was somewhat disappointed.  I honestly think games like Tomb Raider and Gears of War are overpriced, but that's just me.  And besides, what's the difference if I buy Defiance later for $20?  Are you cooler if you buy something because it's new?  Well if saving money isn't cool, I guess I'm a square.

Barring all of that, I might pay 60 bucks if I really thought it would last me hundreds of hours.  But I don't.

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

You all know it's true.  

I value my time more than 60$. Tomb Raider was worth my time. Defiance... nah. The people who want everything to be F2P probably don't buy full-priced SP games, either.

It's not about the players it's about the company. Why wouldn't they let players play their game for free in like 6 months when their playerbase goes down? Why would they not use this opportunity to make more money by allowing a wider audience to access their game and earn extra money through cash shop... use your brain. Remember they don't have to do it, but it damn well is a possibility and calling out people because they say something which is realistic is really stupid. You made this thread to ask posters their opinions and you get majority saying there is a chance of F2P. Anything else you wanted?

You mistook my surprise and shock for 'asking posters for their opinion'. I was expressing my disbelief. So far the whole point of B2P is to avoid F2P route and no B2P titles has gone F2P..so if it happened it will be first. Not that it is ever going to happen.

Even though you never answered to me regarding why the hell they would put restrictions on players.... this is not P2P game where you restrict players so that they end up buying the sub. If you don't buy a DLC you are already restricting yourself. I see no benefit for them to put more restrictions on top of that like so called F2P titles.

Defiance has as many chances of going F2P as say GW2. 

-Jesse Schell

-Luke McKinney

• ReignsonReignson Member UncommonPosts: 21

"So far the whole point of B2P is to avoid F2P"          

On what planet is that statement even remotely true?  How quickly people forget that since the inception of video games as a consumer product, buy to play was the only way you got games.   lol   just because there are now "other" options, does not mean that buying a game to play it is something special.   Sorry, but buy to play is still the norm. 

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

You all know it's true.  

If someone is paying $60 for a SE copy, then they deserve to be fleeced. I got a small refund from amazon by pre-ordering, so the lowest price rounded off at £24.99, which is $37...