Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Few questions about TSW

AranisusAranisus Member UncommonPosts: 30

Hi. I was looking for good MMORPG and somebody told me, that TSW isn't bad choice. I've watched gameplays on YT and it doesn't look bad, but I want to ask about few things:

1. Are there many players in-game?

2. What about end-game? I'm asking mostly in PvE aspect, but some informations about PvP would be nice too

3. I'm generally playing as tank/healer. Are this classes in-game and are they needed?

Comments

• BladestromBladestrom Member UncommonPosts: 5,001

can i add to list above:

4. how many hours does it take to get to max level? (not speed levelling)

rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

1.       There is an ok amount of players, but in most plays you will not see them.

Why: Because in the area/zone it should not look like the secret orders outnumber the people living (or still living) in the area.

2.       The way it is setup, you can get to the hi-levels and arm yourself with a new weapon and different armor and then you’re a noob again.

Why: There are over 500 abilities divided in to groups (25 at this time, but more are on the way), then each group has 10 levels.

Most if not all content is replayable, some players have maxed out but not all.

For your standard end game, dungeons, raids, pvp etc. as well as added DLC.

3.       There are no classes in the normal since, but yes you can do tank/healer (in more then just one way).

4.       This I do not know, but to get the most out of The Secret World, it should not be played as a race to the top, one can miss sooooo much of the story.

• platonicxplatonicx Member UncommonPosts: 22

The buzz phrase "The whole game is endgame" is actually true for TSW. You can get to nightmare dungeons probbably in about 50 hours game time but thats not how you should play to actually enjoy the game. You also wont be as versatile as a character compared to someone who progressed more slowly.

TSW is not a standard mmo (though it very much is an mmo) and if you wanna enjoy playing it you should leave out most of the logic u take for granted in other mmos.

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by Aranisus

Hi. I was looking for good MMORPG and somebody told me, that TSW isn't bad choice. I've watched gameplays on YT and it doesn't look bad, but I want to ask about few things:

2. What about end-game? I'm asking mostly in PvE aspect, but some informations about PvP would be nice too

3. I'm generally playing as tank/healer. Are this classes in-game and are they needed?

Here's the best article I have seen summing up why I like the game:

http://massively.joystiq.com/2012/12/13/why-i-play-the-secret-world/

More specificially:

1. You can group across servers ("dimensions" in TSW), so no need to worry if a friend is on a different server.  Agartha is cross dimension, so you can see people from all servers there.  I believe Arcadia (RP) is one of the first dimensions, so tends to have more people running around
    2. For endgame, there are 8 nightmare level dungeons, the NYC raid (plus a new raid boss with Issue 6), and 8 Lairs, which are open world high difficulty bosses.  You can rush to endgame and grind gear if you want, but TSW is most fun played slowly to really appreciate the storyline.  You'll also be more versatile if you progress through the story.  There are 3 PvP zones -- Fusang, Stonehenge and El Dorado, and they recently introduced PvP experience to help with  matching players.  Here's an intro: http://forums.thesecretworld.com/showthread.php?t=60445
    3. There are no classes, and as a character you can play any role in the game.  The trinity is needed in dungeons, but the difference is that any player can play any role as long as you have the appropriate ability deck equipped.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454

I started playing this game when it went B2P and felt very excited about it.  I played with a friend from GW2 and we both loved the story, atmosphere and look of the game.  Neither one of us loved the combat and ultimately this friend decided against continuing playing for that reason.  Also, I have to say the crafting just doesnt work for me.

This is one of those games I want to like and advise most people to give it a try, but I dont find myself logging back in since I played the first week it went B2P.  I suppose I can give the crafting a pass since no MMO really has great crafting, well maybe Vanguard, but I usually look at crafting as something else to do if you are tired of fighting.  The problem is the fightig is not all that appearling either.  The story and atmosphere are absolutely top-notch.   I never got out of Kingsmout, but I felt it was beautifuly done. 

I wasnt so sold on the idea of looking info up with the ingame browser, which wasnt working for me, although this was probably just some issue related to huge influx of people during B2P period. I know everyone else is a genius and didnt need to look anything up.   I think there was a post on here about that very topic.  Maybe that aspect of the game felt too much like wolrk, not sure. Maybe Ill give the game another shot. 

Originally posted by flizzer

I started playing this game when it went B2P and felt very excited about it.  I played with a friend from GW2 and we both loved the story, atmosphere and look of the game.  Neither one of us loved the combat and ultimately this friend decided against continuing playing for that reason.  Also, I have to say the crafting just doesnt work for me.

This is one of those games I want to like and advise most people to give it a try, but I dont find myself logging back in since I played the first week it went B2P.  I suppose I can give the crafting a pass since no MMO really has great crafting, well maybe Vanguard, but I usually look at crafting as something else to do if you are tired of fighting.  The problem is the fightig is not all that appearling either.  The story and atmosphere are absolutely top-notch.   I never got out of Kingsmout, but I felt it was beautifuly done. 

I wasnt so sold on the idea of looking info up with the ingame browser, which wasnt working for me, although this was probably just some issue related to huge influx of people during B2P period. I know everyone else is a genius and didnt need to look anything up.   I think there was a post on here about that very topic.  Maybe that aspect of the game felt too much like wolrk, not sure. Maybe Ill give the game another shot. 

Savage Coast is a lot of fun -- worth playing for the abandoned carnival and The Black House alone.  I think the key to combat is finding a build you like playing.  This is worth a read:

http://yokaiblog.wikidot.com/guides:build-mechanics

Originally posted by Bladestrom

can i add to list above:

4. how many hours does it take to get to max level? (not speed levelling)

This depends completely on your style of play.  TSW is best played slowly, though.  The investigation missions, if you choose not to look up spoilers, can take a bit of time just to do one.  There is no max level, though, just 10.5 gear and a 100% unlocked ability wheel.

• BoreasBoreas Member Posts: 24
    Originally posted by Aranisus

There seems to be a decent number of people playing. You see other people in adventure zones but they don't tend to feel crowded. As others have posted, there are multiple servers and dimensions within each server, but they do not interfere with chatting or grouping. The hubs (mostly non-mission related) can be crowded at times.

For end-game content there are three primary options. Instanced dungeons, which consist primarily of boss fights. There are a few trash mobs, but not many. Lairs are open-world areas with difficult mobs. These mobs, in addition to useful gear, can drop pattern pieces, which, when assembled, can be used to summon a boss. There is also a raid, which offers the highest-level gear.

End-game gear is highly customizable. Dungeon bosses drop both gear and currency. The gear is good but has limited customization options. The currency is used to buy fully customizable gear. By customization, I mean choosing the stats the gear provides.

Also, with the exception of weapons, your gear (called talismans) is invisible. The clothing your character wears is cosmetic and you have a wide variety of options.

The Secret World uses the "trinity" of tank/healer/damage dealer for boss fights. You are welcome to focus on whichever role(s) you prefer. The ability system offers tremendous flexibility. You can change your equipped abilities and gear any time you are not in combat, so you could heal for one fight and tank for the next. Similarly, when doing solo content or grouping with a friend, you might use more of a hybrid build.

In fact, there is an achievment for completing a dungeon with no party member having changed an ability or piece of gear, which highlights the fact that you will often adjust your setup as you go through a dungeon.