Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

TERA vs. GW2

Comments

• jtcgsjtcgs Member Posts: 1,777
    Originally posted by Leiloni
    Originally posted by jtcgs
    Originally posted by Madamefate
    Tera can't win for me because even if the combat seems a bit better. Your planted to the ground on most of your attacks that's too ancient for me.

That makes it more skill based. You can't just spam spells back to back, you have to make the right decisions or live with the consequences.

No. Just no. Being locked into place has been around forever. Action combat = movement. That is why so many have said Tera stole the entire combat system from Vindictus except one part...the action...which is why Vindictus is better.

GW2 is just plain better in every department.

You must not have played much TERA. It's very action and movement based and in fact moving is far more important than GW2 because if you don't do it properly, you will suffer for it. It's just far more skill based than GW2 in every way - movement needs to be done with thought, targeting needs to be done with thought since there's no tab targeting whatsoever in TERA, etc.

You must not have played much GW2. It's very action and movement based and in fact moving is far more important than TERA because if you don't do it properly, you will suffer for it.

Does that sound stupid? It can be applied to EVERY GAME. Hey, that boss in WoW, if you dont move out of the way of its attack, you can die...

No two classes in Tera can touch a bunker elementalist in GW2 in terms of action in combat, the amount that can be done or the importance of how and when to move. And any time you want to question me about a Mystic in Tera...shoot a question at me.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by flizzer
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    GW2. However, some people think TERA's combat is better. I disagree.

I would also agree with this.  I just don't understand how so many find the combat better in Tera.   In my opinion, GW2 combat is just superior. 

Yea, dat tab target. Whether you want to pretend it isn't, I guess that's your call.

Wormed, you do know w/ a few option tweaks you can literally make GW2's combat nearly identical to TERAs, right?

The biggest difference between the two games (besides the default settings), is that TERA has really severe animation lock. GW2 reserves animation lock for a few very specific, powerful skills (like meteor shower).

There's actually a fairly commonly used script for GW2 that toggles the options back & forth to make it like TERA, but because of the ToA on these forums it's not allowed to be discussed here.

- That said, there really is no question here. GW2 hands down has more to offer than TERA. GW2 has far more content, more variety of content, and continues to release more content on a monthly basis. TERA just doesn't. It's fine if you like TERA more, but objectively there's no question to the answer of the OP.

TERA definitely has some good features, and a lot of people are enjoying it, but anyone who says the game has more content than other MMOs, or that the game isn't grindy; is either lying or highly delusional.

Hmm....Ive been playing GW2 since launch and didnt realize this combat option existed.  

• BlueTiger33BlueTiger33 Member Posts: 158

I must say...Tera. GW2 is such a drab. No progression of any sort. Everything is handed to you...levels (via being in proximity of a public quest and reaping the benefits/rewards) gear (being in dungeons everyone gets loot...it's a guaranteed means to an end) as well as the thing I hate most...your de facto ability bar. No changing it unless you rebind your keys...which means if you have more then 1 toon then all your abilities and keys have to be reconfigured upon each login.

Oh and the PVP? TERA beats GW2 into the pavement (curb check?)

Now that being said am I a TERA fan boy? No, I prefer TSW over TERA but I prefer TERA over GW2.

I will never support freeloaders, no more subsidized gaming.
    My Blog
  • DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

Very interesting perspective on what makes a game more skill based.

So, because TERA roots you to the ground, even though most classes have very spammable attacks, this makes it more skill based? And since GW2 allows players to burn all their cooldowns almost immediately (and then have to wait for them to be off cooldown), plus allows players to actually move out of the way of enemy skills, this makes it less skill based?

Most classes in TERA can actually dodge back-to-back, classes with block can also spam block over and over. In GW2, if you dodge twice (back-back), unless you''re specced for dodging, you are usually going to die. A lot of the more skilled players in GW2 actually look for players who double-dodge, because they are very easy kill targets

- If you're logic was simply 'I find the animation lock in TERA to be harder, because there is a delay on skill use', then I could see that. But your other reasons either just don't seem to make much sense, or actually apply to BOTH games.

Excluding any comments about gw2s skill lvl or which game is better.... Because both are pretty stupid arguments based on opinion...

Yes locking you in place while using some skills does make it more skill based. You have to know how long those skills take to use and when the next BAM attack is going to go off. If you get cought mid skill use because you just mash keys you're often dead or close to it in end game.

When you can just mash keys and move all the time you don't really have to think about timing or what the boss is doing. You just attack and move when you need to.

• LeiloniLeiloni Member RarePosts: 1,266
    Originally posted by Madamefate
    Tera can't win for me because even if the combat seems a bit better. Your planted to the ground on most of your attacks that's too ancient for me.

That makes it more skill based. You can't just spam spells back to back, you have to make the right decisions or live with the consequences.

No. Just no. Being locked into place has been around forever. Action combat = movement. That is why so many have said Tera stole the entire combat system from Vindictus except one part...the action...which is why Vindictus is better.

GW2 is just plain better in every department.

You must not have played much TERA. It's very action and movement based and in fact moving is far more important than GW2 because if you don't do it properly, you will suffer for it. It's just far more skill based than GW2 in every way - movement needs to be done with thought, targeting needs to be done with thought since there's no tab targeting whatsoever in TERA, etc.

You must not have played much GW2. It's very action and movement based and in fact moving is far more important than TERA because if you don't do it properly, you will suffer for it.

Does that sound stupid? It can be applied to EVERY GAME. Hey, that boss in WoW, if you dont move out of the way of its attack, you can die...

No two classes in Tera can touch a bunker elementalist in GW2 in terms of action in combat, the amount that can be done or the importance of how and when to move. And any time you want to question me about a Mystic in Tera...shoot a question at me.

Yes I do know I played a level 80 Ele for about 3 months before quitting and did just about every part of the game. It's a lot of spammy nonsense. It's not hard to target people at all and you just move a lot for combos and the occasional dodge/teleport/whatever. It's not the kind of skillful, thoughtful movement you get with TERA. Sure you move a lot, but it doesn't have as much of an effect nor as big as a consequence as it does in TERA. Just because you can run around nonstop, that doesn't make it skillful. TERA's movement is more skillful than any other game and it's more fun as well, because each movement has a clear purpose.

Originally posted by DamonVile

So, because TERA roots you to the ground, even though most classes have very spammable attacks, this makes it more skill based? And since GW2 allows players to burn all their cooldowns almost immediately (and then have to wait for them to be off cooldown), plus allows players to actually move out of the way of enemy skills, this makes it less skill based?

Most classes in TERA can actually dodge back-to-back, classes with block can also spam block over and over. In GW2, if you dodge twice (back-back), unless you''re specced for dodging, you are usually going to die. A lot of the more skilled players in GW2 actually look for players who double-dodge, because they are very easy kill targets

- If you're logic was simply 'I find the animation lock in TERA to be harder, because there is a delay on skill use', then I could see that. But your other reasons either just don't seem to make much sense, or actually apply to BOTH games.

Yes locking you in place while using some skills does make it more skill based. You have to know how long those skills take to use and when the next BAM attack is going to go off. If you get cought mid skill use because you just mash keys you're often dead or close to it in end game.

When you can just mash keys and move all the time you don't really have to think about timing or what the boss is doing. You just attack and move when you need to.

Also to add to that, a lot of skills in TERA have set ranges. It's not like in GW2 and many other games where it works anywhere from 3-30m and does the same damage. Many of the ranged skills are an AoE at 10m or something like that so you need to place yourself properly, or they do significantly less damage the farther away you are, etc. making placement between you and your target very important (which often means you have to be more careful about when and how you move so as to not get hit).

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by DamonVile

Excluding any comments about gw2s skill lvl or which game is better.... Because both are pretty stupid arguments based on opinion...

I'd agree that that is arguable. However, I'd also point out that GW2 does lock you inplace for certain skill. One of the most infamous examples is 100blades. Try landing that on a moving target. Anyway, I'm not arguing which is better. I think that's a personal preference.

However, what I am saying is that most of the people I've seen who claim that TERAs combat is superior, are assuming a whole bunch of stuff about GW2 that simply isn't true. I've played both games, they're both currently installed on my comp. GW2 by default is tab-target based, yes. However it has a LOT of secondary mechanics that make this point fairly moot when it comes to skill. I know this, because I've played GW2 as BOTH a tab-target based game AND a retical based combat game. I do enjoy the retical system more, but I also know it doesn't make the game harder or easier in the least. It's purely a cosmetic thing.

Why? Because the retical system in TERA is actually just a soft-target system. You will see this when you loosely mouse over targets and have your projectiles actually home in on your target. Even skills like the iceshard that sorcs have will STILL hit targets, even when the animation appears to miss them entirely.

The animation lock that some people hold on a pedistal seems also based on the assumption that it adds extra positioning to the skill of combat. It really doesn't. GW2 is just as much about positioning and timing as TERA is. GW2 has skills that hit harder when attacking from certain sides. It has a whole crapton of skills that put down areas on the ground you usually want to avoid. It also has skills that work better from various ranges. Players who ignore the positioning element of GW2 end up just as dead as those who ignore it in TERA.

Yes I do know I played a level 80 Ele for about 3 months before quitting and did just about every part of the game. It's a lot of spammy nonsense. It's not hard to target people at all and you just move a lot for combos and the occasional dodge/teleport/whatever. It's not the kind of skillful, thoughtful movement you get with TERA. Sure you move a lot, but it doesn't have as much of an effect nor as big as a consequence as it does in TERA. Just because you can run around nonstop, that doesn't make it skillful. TERA's movement is more skillful than any other game and it's more fun as well, because each movement has a clear purpose.

You never played a bunker elementalist. You played an elementalist and you tried to face roll. You had no method at all and I doubt you could take on 2 people at a time in WvWvW while a bunker can take on 15+.

Thats the difference between learning a class and just playing one.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

The only spammable attacks any classes have are auto attacks which do basically no damage at all. For some classes their primary purpose is to regen mana. For some classes they can stagger the target which is a pain in the ass but all it does is prevent that person from using certain skills or forces them to kite away - it doesn't actually do any real damage to them. So no, people can't spam. If they spam auto attack they are usually bad.

Most classes can't actually dodge back to back. Most classes have only one invulnerability frame. Mystics have teleport on an 8 second cooldown. Priest's have backstep on a similar cooldown. They also have Fiery Escape that sends them backwards but it is merely a way to open the gap - it is not an invulnerability frame at all, so it can quite easily be interrupted and the Priest can be hit while using it. The Archer has the same 2 skills. Sorc (the squishest and most vulnerable class) has all three but they share cooldowns. The Warrior has various evasive moves but, they are the evasion tank, so its their classes core function. Zerks and Lancers can block but they can't do anything else while blocking and are rooted in place. Not to mention, they can be hit from behind while blocking so they are sitting ducks if they don't move (also Lancers can only block as long as they have Resolve, once the bar runs out they can't block anymore). Every class has to make decisions about what skill to use when and they all have cooldowns on their i-frame skills. Anything else is merely a way to gain or lose distance and not actually a "dodge" in the sense that GW2 has them (although even those skills have cooldowns).

Also to add to that, a lot of skills in TERA have set ranges. It's not like in GW2 and many other games where it works anywhere from 3-30m and does the same damage. Many of the ranged skills are an AoE at 10m or something like that so you need to place yourself properly, or they do significantly less damage the farther away you are, etc. making placement between you and your target very important (which often means you have to be more careful about when and how you move so as to not get hit).

Please check your information before you post it. It's just wrong.

Here's some examples of the 'works anywhere form 3-30m and does the same damage' you claim GW2 has.

Ranger's Longbow #1 skill

Mesmer's Greatsword #1 skill

Furthermore, you also have attacks with variable ranges. Melee conal, or single target attacks, AoEs, some attacks at short range (600 units), medium range (900 units), long range (1200 units), extra long range (1500 units), and max range (1600 units). You also have skills like the necro's Feast of Corruption, or the mesmer's Phantasmal Warlock, that do extra damage depending on how many debuffs an enemy has.

There is a lot of depth that you are not only assuming doesn't exist, but also telling others doesn't exist, which is just wrong. It would be like if I was to criticize TERA's combat system, by pretending that the glyph system didn't exist at all.

Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by Scalpless
    GW2. However, some people think TERA's combat is better. I disagree.

I would also agree with this.  I just don't understand how so many find the combat better in Tera.   In my opinion, GW2 combat is just superior. 

Yea, dat tab target. Whether you want to pretend it isn't, I guess that's your call.

Wormed, you do know w/ a few option tweaks you can literally make GW2's combat nearly identical to TERAs, right?

The biggest difference between the two games (besides the default settings), is that TERA has really severe animation lock. GW2 reserves animation lock for a few very specific, powerful skills (like meteor shower).

There's actually a fairly commonly used script for GW2 that toggles the options back & forth to make it like TERA, but because of the ToA on these forums it's not allowed to be discussed here.

- That said, there really is no question here. GW2 hands down has more to offer than TERA. GW2 has far more content, more variety of content, and continues to release more content on a monthly basis. TERA just doesn't. It's fine if you like TERA more, but objectively there's no question to the answer of the OP.

TERA definitely has some good features, and a lot of people are enjoying it, but anyone who says the game has more content than other MMOs, or that the game isn't grindy; is either lying or highly delusional.

Hmm....Ive been playing GW2 since launch and didnt realize this combat option existed.  

If you are curious, send me a PM and I'll tell you what I'm talking about. Unfortunately I'm literally not kidding when I say I'm not allowed to discuss it openly on these forums, due to how their rules are setup here.

• nicariftnicarift Member UncommonPosts: 70

Both are really good games. Tera, as was said before, is much more like current mmos.

Guild wars two is a very good game with alot to do.

If your concidering games you should deffinetly concider Secret World as well Especially if you enjoy very in depth stories!

• eye_meye_m Member UncommonPosts: 3,317

I think a person could use a similar analogy between girlfriends and mmo's

For example. TERA would be a very buxom girlfriend with breast implants and be fairly high maitenance, while GW2 would be a good looking girlfriend without cosmetic enhancements and not as high maintenance.  TERA follows the more traditional customs for mmo's while GW2 is a bit more open to new ideas.  Tera's combat is about knowing what buttons to press at what time,  and paying attention to what she is doing. GW2 combat is a bit more wild, where you are more on edge, pushing your own limitations.

These are both better than a particular "unnamed" mmo which is kind of an oompaloompa due to her age, is extremely high maintenance, does most traditional things and is very good at what she does but really needs to be retired and left to sit in a wheelchair with the other EOL mmo's.

All of my posts are either intelligent, thought provoking, funny, satirical, sarcastic or intentionally disrespectful. Take your pick.

I get banned in the forums for games I love, so lets see if I do better in the forums for games I hate.

I enjoy the serenity of not caring what your opinion is.

I don't hate much, but I hate Apple© with a passion. If Steve Jobs was alive, I would punch him in the face.

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Well its not to hard to know I feel Guildwars 2 is over-rated and I do have a guilty pleasure with Tera. Truthfully, I consider them two seperate games. None the less my break-down of the pluses and negatives.

Guildwars 2 (B2P with Cash Shop): 

+Static Events that do help feel 'fresh', even if they lack the dynamic feel they are still fun.

+Unhiltered combat, allowing you to move around freely and 'spam' buttons essencially rather then feeling locked in place.

+Graphics are quite cleaver, particular on character design and some zones can be nice to look at.

+Lack of 'end game' of sorts, taking out grind allowing in ways a more 'do what you want' feel to it.

+Class concepts have interesting ideas tacked onto them. While not fully realized, classes like the mesmer and engineer do feel 'different' and can be enjoyable to play.

+"Scaling levels" helps to keep stuff lower levels a little more challenging, though... (See Combat and progression below)

-Combat isn't a strong suit, becoming very simplistic and floaty feeling with 'dodging' being the area where any skill comes to play. It can be a bit frusterating trying to hit someone to have it 'hit' the ground instead due to tab targetting that just feels a bit clunky. Quickly can feel repetative.

-Progression is quite lack luster, much of your skills you will ahve at level 10 minus an elite skill at 30. You definently feel like your getting no where quick. The fact you get scaled down (granted you keep skills) it really doesn't feel like you 'progressed' at all. You will typically be able to do stuff easier, but it just feels far weaker in just how you progressed.

-Environments, while nice, feel a bit disapointing, feeling copy and pasted from zone to zone rather then capitalizing on the art style to make zones stand out.

-'Grind' tends to be focused around far less content, meaning the grind you DO happen to go about handling can feell quite tedious. Hearts feel like almost elongated traditional quests when certain objects you try and skip out of being annoying.

-Dungeons... trying to rid of the trinity... its a rough experience for sure and definently in need of improvements. It just doesn't work how its done now. 

-Its a single player experience. Considering stuff 'automatically' gives benefits as if you are grouped, if you just play straight through alone without trying to join a guild, its going to feel like its you and a bunch of NPCs playing together. Its weak on the socail end in that regard.

Tera (F2P w/ Cash Shop/Sub):

+Incredible combat system, elaborating on combination attacks utilizing both pros and cons to promote a far more strategic style of gameplay.

+Graphics are sheerly stunning from characters to environments, having a strong artisitic feel behind the characters and world.

+Sense of progression with character. New skills continue to change up how its played while for the most part keeping older abilities relevant. 

+Guild focus on PvP and taking over areas has great potential that fully realized can be quite amazing. Even in its corrent form it does push on the aspect of guild unity.

+Combat has great challenges rewarding skills, providing things like BAMs which can be done as a group though allowing for players to use their own skill to conquer them on their own.

+Maintains the trinity in a clever way, making group tasks entertaining and fun to do.

+Pvp is a lot more skilled based and can be quite entertaining to take part in, making it a fun activity.

-The quest system can be a bit old and tiring, so much so it can detract from the game despite the great combat.

- Some monsters can feel repetative as patterns tend to repeat themselves a lot in what to watch for. While not as bad as GW2, it definently sticks out as you go on further in the game.

- The guild conquest system (sorry name slips me) is still not fully realized and as such can be a bit of a mess.

- Lack of end game content which, while being addressed, still could use a bit more to it.

- Lack of variety in activities to do.

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

I played both and the games are similar yet different.

Both are ThemeParks with "action" combat with linear progression. GW 2 is less linear than Tera and has more so called horizontal progression but not much in the form of vertical progression which Tera has.

Both have good GFX but I think TERA's GFX is on a higher level.

TERA focus more on dungeons and static quests where GW 2 has more dynamic quests and suffer a bit in the dungeon PvE department.

TERA's PvP is pretty weak with very few instanced PvP maps (was only one when I played) and world PvP was next to dead. GW 2 has very active instanced PvP and so called WvWvW PvP, which is basically one big PvP map and GW 2 has no world PvP at all.

TERA's classes are very linear and offer little customization in forms of different types of skills, armor and weapons. GW 2 has more customization and more varied classes but imo is still lacking in customization with only 10 activable skills at any time with weapon/stance swapping to add more. Still GW 2s class system feels richer.

TERA has a very strict trinity system using the traditional Tank, DPS and Healer roles with little flexibility in the different roles. There is only one hybrid healer class but it is pretty weak (in PvE). GW 2 does not use the trinity system and frankly I am not sure what kind of system it uses. Basically all classes can DPS, CC and (self) heal and there is no way to create a pure tank or healer class. Rigid as TERA's system is, I think I prefer it to GW 2's.

GW 2 has a decent storyline and TERA has a pretty crappy one. Neither one is a reason to keep you playing.

Overall I felt GW 2 was more intense fun but for a shorter while where as TERA could get a bit tedious but allowed for more longetivity with its greater vertical progression as I am not much for horizontal progression.

***snip for length***

The only spammable attacks any classes have are auto attacks which do basically no damage at all. For some classes their primary purpose is to regen mana. For some classes they can stagger the target which is a pain in the ass but all it does is prevent that person from using certain skills or forces them to kite away - it doesn't actually do any real damage to them. So no, people can't spam. If they spam auto attack they are usually bad.

Most classes can't actually dodge back to back. Most classes have only one invulnerability frame. Mystics have teleport on an 8 second cooldown. Priest's have backstep on a similar cooldown. They also have Fiery Escape that sends them backwards but it is merely a way to open the gap - it is not an invulnerability frame at all, so it can quite easily be interrupted and the Priest can be hit while using it. The Archer has the same 2 skills. Sorc (the squishest and most vulnerable class) has all three but they share cooldowns. The Warrior has various evasive moves but, they are the evasion tank, so its their classes core function. Zerks and Lancers can block but they can't do anything else while blocking and are rooted in place. Not to mention, they can be hit from behind while blocking so they are sitting ducks if they don't move. Every class has to make decisions about what skill to use when and they all have cooldowns on their i-frame skills. Anything else is merely a way to gain or lose distance and not actually a "dodge" in the sense that GW2 has them (although even those skills have cooldowns).

1) That's true for BOTH games. There is only ONE class in GW2 that has attacks that can be considered 'spammable', and that's the thief (because they use a different resource mechanic). However, that would be like me saying 'Overhead Smash' from a Slayer in TERA is spammable, because you can spec it to proc almost every time.

2) And most classes in GW2 can't dodge for quite some time after using up both dodges. It's something you have to specifically setup your classes to do. Just as in TERA, once your dodge / blink is on cooldown, unless you glyph to change it, you have an 8 second window where you're vulnerable. The timing is definitely different (TERA frontloads most of the timing, GW2 backloads most of it), and yes GW2 does make it slightly more accessible to dodge twice, but it also makes it a much more severe punishment if you do use up your dodges. TERA's combat in general favors much more frequent use of dodges, and blocks. GW2's combat makes it a resource you have to specifically manage.

Again, just to remind you, I am in no way making an argument on which combat is better. Only pointing out that there are a lot of assumptions and missinformation being thrown around here as to how the combat systems in both games actually work.

Here's some examples of the 'works anywhere form 3-30m and does the same damage' you claim GW2 has.

Furthermore, you also have attacks with variable ranges. Melee conal, or single target attacks, AoEs, some attacks at short range (600 units), medium range (900 units), long range (1200 units), extra long range (1500 units), and max range (1600 units). You also have skills like the necro's Feast of Corruption, or the mesmer's Phantasmal Warlock, that do extra damage depending on how many debuffs an enemy has.

There is a lot of depth that you are not only assuming doesn't exist, but also telling others doesn't exist, which is just wrong. It would be like if I was to criticize TERA's combat system, by pretending that the glyph system didn't exist at all.

That honestly goes in line with my point that TERA's combat makes movement and placement important and also dangerous. Those skills reward you from being far away from the combat - stand back and safely pew pew. There's no trade off there. In TERA, you do more damage up close for certain skills, meaning you risk getting hit to do max damage. Not only that, many skills have set ranges that you cannot change, so if the target moves a bit in one direction, they can easily dodge your skill and you'lll miss entirely (and then you get to sit on a lovely cooldown). Most of those attacks you mention with variable ranges will hit anywhere from 0-600m, or 0-900m, etc. TERA's skills do not work like that. Either you're at the proper range, or you're not. Also many of those GW2 skills hit the target no matter what with their homing projectiles, or the targeted skills are instant cast place on the ground - TERA's abilities require more skill to get off properly.

***snip for length***

Most classes can't actually dodge back to back. Most classes have only one invulnerability frame. Mystics have teleport on an 8 second cooldown. Priest's have backstep on a similar cooldown. They also have Fiery Escape that sends them backwards but it is merely a way to open the gap - it is not an invulnerability frame at all, so it can quite easily be interrupted and the Priest can be hit while using it. The Archer has the same 2 skills. Sorc (the squishest and most vulnerable class) has all three but they share cooldowns. The Warrior has various evasive moves but, they are the evasion tank, so its their classes core function. Zerks and Lancers can block but they can't do anything else while blocking and are rooted in place. Not to mention, they can be hit from behind while blocking so they are sitting ducks if they don't move. Every class has to make decisions about what skill to use when and they all have cooldowns on their i-frame skills. Anything else is merely a way to gain or lose distance and not actually a "dodge" in the sense that GW2 has them (although even those skills have cooldowns).

1) That's true for BOTH games. There is only ONE class in GW2 that has attacks that can be considered 'spammable', and that's the thief (because they use a different resource mechanic). However, that would be like me saying 'Overhead Smash' from a Slayer in TERA is spammable, because you can spec it to proc almost every time.

2) And most classes in GW2 can't dodge for quite some time after using up both dodges. It's something you have to specifically setup your classes to do. Just as in TERA, once your dodge / blink is on cooldown, unless you glyph to change it, you have an 8 second window where you're vulnerable. The timing is definitely different (TERA frontloads most of the timing, GW2 backloads most of it), and yes GW2 does make it slightly more accessible to dodge twice, but it also makes it a much more severe punishment if you do use up your dodges. TERA's combat in general favors much more frequent use of dodges, and blocks. GW2's combat makes it a resource you have to specifically manage.

Again, just to remind you, I am in no way making an argument on which combat is better. Only pointing out that there are a lot of assumptions and missinformation being thrown around here as to how the combat systems in both games actually work.

You clearly have not played TERA in a while. You can't spec any skill anymore to "reset" it's cooldown. The F2P patch with the new 3v3 Arena system brought a lot of balance changes, and the removal of RNG resets was one of them. Also, every stun and knockdown is now guaranteed. Every class has one invulnerabiltiy frame (on a cooldown). Even Priest's had their semi permanent CC immunity buff nerfed to be a 5 second duration. Like I said, it's much more skill based and decisions really mean something. Use a skill at the wrong time and you're screwed.

Either you're at the proper range, or you're not. Also many of those GW2 skills hit the target no matter what with their homing projectiles, or the targeted skills are instant cast place on the ground - TERA's abilities require more skill to get off properly.

No two classes in Tera COMBINED can match the skill required to play a bunker elementalist to its fullest abilities.

PROOF IS RIGHT HERE, Go on, match this video with a video showing the depth of Tera...Lets see it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=emZEPRtFdWk

1 person taking on 10+ for almost 10 minutes...not dieing once, flipping between all four elements

That honestly goes in line with my point that TERA's combat makes movement and placement important and also dangerous. Those skills reward you from being far away from the combat - stand back and safely pew pew. There's no trade off there. In TERA, you do more damage up close for certain skills, meaning you risk getting hit to do max damage. Not only that, many skills have set ranges that you cannot change, so if the target moves a bit in one direction, they can easily dodge your skill and you'lll miss entirely (and then you get to sit on a lovely cooldown). Most of those attacks you mention with variable ranges will hit anywhere from 0-600m, or 0-900m, etc. TERA's skills do not work like that. Either you're at the proper range, or you're not. Also many of those GW2 skills hit the target no matter what with their homing projectiles, or the targeted skills are instant cast place on the ground - TERA's abilities require more skill to get off properly.

Again, just to re-emphasize I am NOT arguing which is more skillful or better. I'm only pointing out facts here. If you think TERA's combat is better / more skillful (and you clearly do), then that's fine. However, use correct information to make your case if you feel you need to explain your reasoning.

My post is a direct response to your claim that GW2 has no skills that take range into consideration. Those are 2 examples showing that not to be the case, there are others. Probably the most obvious example, for the purposes of this specific topic, would be the engineer's Flamethrower. The #1 attack for it only works within a certain range, but can get some pretty significant AoE damage if you maintain that range. The #2 actually does almost no damage if you don't manage to hit a target exactly at ~600 units, in which case it does a huge amount of damage.

Furthermore, GW2 is actually balanced around range. Melee weapons do significantly more damage than ranged weapons do. However, like TERA, you risk getting hit / kited if you go for that melee. The general order of damage output in GW2 goes Melee > mid-range > long range.

Yes, TERA does have a set -min distance for certain skills. And yes, if you move too far away from the retical you're attack will miss. GW2, does have skills that are severely handicapped by using them at the wrong range. The game also has quite a few skills that you can 'walk' out of range / area and not get hit (without having to dodge). Skills in GW2 will also fail if a target manages to either LOS, circle strafe you correctly.

However, the number of skills TERA has in which min distance make an impact on combat is fairly small. This mostly effects the ranger class, tbh. The sorc has a few AoEs that will always place a few feet ahead of you, but that's really not that big of a problem for the class, considering how much spammable CC and projectile / lock-on based attacks the sorc has.

In GW2, the distances aren't locked in the same way as TERA, but there are other factors that come into play, that are either lacking or abscent from TERAs combat. GW2 has lots of forms of debuffs, reflects, secondary effects, variable damage types to consider. TERA does not.

TERA will be a challenge if you have trouble pointing a mouse at things, but the hitbox for TERA is actually quite large. You don't have to be all that accurate with your aiming in TERA to still hit things, and the animation lock, and somewhat restricted movement actually helps make this happen. I know I've managed to move my retical in TERA almost completely off an enemy and still have my skills 'locked' to that enemy. There's a lot of leeway there.

- There's no question that the combat in these games feels different from each other. However, when you objectively look at the mechanics actually in play, there's actually more similarities then you might think on face value. Especially if you modify some of the default settings GW2 gives you on first launch. You can actually disable tab targetting in GW2, in favor of a more 'shoot at where my mouse is' type of gameplay. The only thing the game doesn't allow for, is a retical, and the ability to assign a hotkey to toggle it on / off (which is what TERA does). That's why people have a script that does that for them.

You clearly have not played TERA in a while. You can't spec any skill anymore to "reset" it's cooldown. The F2P patch with the new 3v3 Arena system brought a lot of balance changes, and the removal of RNG resets was one of them. Also, every stun and knockdown is now guaranteed. Every class has one invulnerabiltiy frame (on a cooldown). Even Priest's had their semi permanent CC immunity buff nerfed to be a 5 second duration. Like I said, it's much more skill based and decisions really mean something. Use a skill at the wrong time and you're screwed.

Really.. explain this then?

Overhand Strike

Look at the first glyph: Glyph of Persistance

(btw I just logged in to double check. It's still in the game)

• HolophonistHolophonist Member UncommonPosts: 2,091
    Originally posted by evilprey
    can't compare those 2 games . Tera is a major fail and Guild Wars 2 is best MMO on market at this moment

Best (worst?) troll ever??? seriously wtf....

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 921
    Both are good themeparks, GW is the better and the more replayable, neither will keep you hooked for long unless you love the WvWvW of GW 2 or want the massive grind to legendary or if you want to get on the usual gear treadmill in TERA, but both are worth a play and will keep you entertained for a month or so if you dont zerg them.
    Originally posted by JeremyBowyer
    Originally posted by evilprey
    can't compare those 2 games . Tera is a major fail and Guild Wars 2 is best MMO on market at this moment

Best (worst?) troll ever??? seriously wtf....

Well, Tera did have to go F2P and GW2 is the first MMO in how many years to sell over 3 million copies and still selling off the shelves right now.

Few have any doubt at all that it will top 4 million and if they keep releasing content like they are, 5 million.

• DamonVileDamonVile Member UncommonPosts: 4,818

However, what I am saying is that most of the people I've seen who claim that TERAs combat is superior, are assuming a whole bunch of stuff about GW2 that simply isn't true. I've played both games, they're both currently installed on my comp. GW2 by default is tab-target based, yes. However it has a LOT of secondary mechanics that make this point fairly moot when it comes to skill. I know this, because I've played GW2 as BOTH a tab-target based game AND a retical based combat game. I do enjoy the retical system more, but I also know it doesn't make the game harder or easier in the least. It's purely a cosmetic thing.

Why? Because the retical system in TERA is actually just a soft-target system. You will see this when you loosely mouse over targets and have your projectiles actually home in on your target. Even skills like the iceshard that sorcs have will STILL hit targets, even when the animation appears to miss them entirely.

1) most ppl who argue over which game takes more skill have ulterior motives. Players either have skill or they don't. The amount of skill a game actually requires is pretty negligible. Most of what's going on in this thread is just fans clashing over a game.  If it makes some of these people feel better by saying their game takes lots of skill...to me that just says they don't have much to begin with ;) No reason for us to argue about it :)

2) what you're seeing with the ranged attack is it connecting with the hit box of the BAM not the actual animated space. You see it with melee weapons sometimes as well. You often see it happen when a BAM walks over you. They knock you down even though they haveb't touched you.  Server lag probably has something to do with why they put this into the game. duel box in an mmo and you'll see how far away you can be some times on the two screens from where each shows a character. That becomes a problem when trying to do aim targeting.

Because you don't have head shots or anything like it they can cheat a bit and make the game run better with larger numbers of people in one area.