Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

From the guy who hates everything: I LIKE DEFIANCE

UnleadedRevUnleadedRev Member UncommonPosts: 568

Other than hunting for the Options Menu and how to exit the game:

Little wheel on bottom left....

I have been enjoying the game for the past few hours, and this from a guy who doesnt like shooter type games, and especiially MMOs. But, Defiance is different than most shooters and MMOs. There is a good storyline, quests, side quests, and dynamic quests. There are no stupid static mobs standing around to be hunted, like many MMOs. Instead, you are immediately thrust into a exciting storyline with nice cinematics, and lots of immersion. The graphics are great, and not sure what people were complaining about, to me it looks great. Combat doesnt require the reflexes of a mongoose, nor does driving a vehicle, but yet its not boring or slow like many MMOs. Its in the middle ground on both. 

Loot is amble, quests are challanging, driving is a blast and you get achievements for your exciting driving stunts and stuff. 

The only negatives are like I said, parts of the UI, which you will eventually figure out, its not that bad. Community is good, but chat is flat....I do not think anyone really knows how to use it. Not that I care..I hate chat, and by default its hidden unless you press enter which is fine by me.

So in a nutshell, I am enjoying this game alot so far adn if you have $60 burning a hole in your pocket then go for it.

Comments

• DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Right on man, its nice to see some comments from someone who likes the game instead of idiotic ranters.   Still can't decide whether to buy or not.   Looks fun but I don't want it to be a game I buy and play for 2 weeks and never touch again.   That makes the $60 hurt.

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• TribeofOneTribeofOne Member UncommonPosts: 1,006
    you should feel honored that Trion is ONLY charging 60$ for this game. Defiance game and tv show are going to revolutionize entertainment for years to come! Get it while you can I wouldnt be suprised if the price goes UP!
  • mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by UnleadedRev

I have been enjoying the game for the past few hours, and this from a guy who doesnt like shooter type games, and especiially MMOs. But, Defiance is different than most shooters and MMOs. There is a good storyline, quests, side quests, and dynamic quests. There are no stupid static mobs standing around to be hunted, like many MMOs. Instead, you are immediately thrust into a exciting storyline with nice cinematics, and lots of immersion. The graphics are great, and not sure what people were complaining about, to me it looks great. Combat doesnt require the reflexes of a mongoose, nor does driving a vehicle, but yet its not boring or slow like many MMOs. Its in the middle ground on both. 

Loot is amble, quests are challanging, driving is a blast and you get achievements for your exciting driving stunts and stuff. 

The only negatives are like I said, parts of the UI, which you will eventually figure out, its not that bad. Community is good, but chat is flat....I do not think anyone really knows how to use it. Not that I care..I hate chat, and by default its hidden unless you press enter which is fine by me.

So in a nutshell, I am enjoying this game alot so far adn if you have $60 burning a hole in your pocket then go for it.

It is good a few people like it. After many hours in the beta I'd be hard pressed to spend more than $5 on it. You can get a lot more and better quality for free in other games. Yeah it is fun in a few hours of play but most new games are that way. The problem is I'm a long time FPS gamer and everything Defiance offers is far to simplistic. Only 4 abilities, a handful of weapon types, and a lot of perks that don't even impact they way you play and especially don't have synergy with other players is a bummer. But that's ok, this game isn't for me but I'll still be happy to watch the show.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669
    Originally posted by mmoguy43

You can get a lot more and better quality for free in other games.

I haven't picked up Defiance myself, but can I ask, what are these games your are speaking of here?

Originally posted by ThumbtackJ

I haven't picked up Defiance myself, but can I ask, what are these games your are speaking of here?

Take a look at F2P games.

• ThumbtackJThumbtackJ Member UncommonPosts: 669

I see that there are plenty of F2P games. But you said there are ones that have "more" and "better quality". Which ones? Specifically.

No point in responding if I'm going to get flamed because your opinion differs. Atleast I can respect the OP's likes whereas "fans?" can't handle anything but praise.
  • flizzerflizzer Member RarePosts: 2,454
    I feel like I am like the OP who is not a huge fan of shooter games.  I have yet to buy the game, but I am glad for your feedback. I am reading many posts about how short the game is.  I understand you havent reached endgame yet, but do you have a sense of how much game there is "there"?
  • Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    I'd want to know that a $60 game is fun for more than a few hours to someone who "hates everything", but I'm glad you're enjoying it.  Let us know what you feel about it in the long run.
  • jedensuscgjedensuscg Member Posts: 209

While people are ranting that there are more games out there that are "free to play" that are better then Defiance...

The only shooter game that even comes close to Defiance would be PS2, but that is a whole different game.  There is no story. It is just a straight shooter.

All the other online shooters are just cash grab item shop fests where to feel that you are getting anything out of the game, you have to drop far more then $60 bucks.  With Defiance, you pay up front, and you get the same stuff as everyone else.  You can buy XP boosts, but that just advances your player quicker, but yout still going ot be just as powerful as others of your level (or less effecetive if you think about it, as they might have have more time to find better gear)

I am not sayind Defiance is a must have, go and buy it now.  But all haters are just pissed off it's not completely free so they can play without dropping a dime while others spend money to support the game they are scrubbing off of.

As for the due that said he plays FPS all the time and this one was not good because it only had 4 abilities?  WTF, since when were FPS about abilities anyways? They have always been about the guns, the aiming, the shooting.

That's the one... Planetside 2 which is a better shooter and has more quality. I thought Firefall was also a little better in many regards.

Maybe that is what these people around here are getting at. This is the only online shooter that caters for people that are bad at shooters. Hey, that's OK.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by bestever

I see that there are plenty of F2P games. But you said there are ones that have "more" and "better quality". Which ones? Specifically.

[mod edit]

theres always planetside 2 for starters, or if your into 3rd person shooters, which im not, you could always check out APB or something.. but there are certainly quite a few out there, and they are, mostly, F2P. image

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by bestever

[mod edit]

theres always planetside 2 for starters, or if your into 3rd person shooters, which im not, you could always check out APB or something.. but there are certainly quite a few out there, and they are, mostly, F2P. image

Planet Side 2 has no PvE and doesn't even have a 3rd of the content that Defiance has. APB is only semi persistent and its not an MMO, it's also lacking PvE and doesn't have much content. If you are simply looking for a Third Person Shooter there are much better options than those 2. If you are looking for an MMOTPS with PvE and PvP Defiance is basically it. Fallen Earth comes close but is poorly done, has limited content, no DE's or anything like it, etc.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • BadOrbBadOrb Member UncommonPosts: 791

That's the one... Planetside 2 which is a better shooter and has more quality. I thought Firefall was also a little better in many regards.

Maybe that is what these people around here are getting at. This is the only online shooter that caters for people that are bad at shooters. Hey, that's OK.

Be a little more open minded it's one of only two MMO's on the 360 , so yeah. Maybe we need 3 different forums for the game ?

Cheers,

BadOrb.

PSO 4 years , EQOA 4 months , PSU 7 years , SWTOR launch ongoing , PSO2 SEA launch ongoing , Destiny 360 launch ongoing.
    "SWG was not fun. Let it go buddy." quote from iiNoSkillzii 10/18/13
    The original propoganda pixie dust villain :[]

• LaserwolfLaserwolf Member Posts: 2,383
    So I'm leaning toward buying it tomorrow. Out of curiosity, at least in regards to PvP, is the weapon damage more like a BF or CoD game with somewhat more realistic damage, or is it more like Halo where it takes quite a bit to put someone down. Are there single shot sniper kills for instance?