Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] Defiance: Launch Day Impressions

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Today is a big day for Trion Worlds with the launch of its first MMOFPS, Defiance. We've been dabbling in the game and have a few impressions to offer to our readers. See what we've learned in our early moments in the game before heading to the comments to chat.

Both with people and cars and ATVs. It’s like the apocalypse never happened there’s so much traffic.  The screen below shows what your first screen past the tutorial will probably look like.  When Trion ninja powered-on the servers in the NA regions last night, the locusts swarmed.  There sure were lots of clones milling about, all wondering what to do next.  This actually makes for an interesting first few moments in the game proper. You see, mobs in Defiance all scale based on how many people are around them.  Suddenly the first mutants you’ll face will take dozens of shots to drop, which wouldn’t be so bad if people weren’t just standing around looking through their UI.  Luckily, this is an issue that will resolve itself as people spread about.  Just remember, don’t be that guy who stands there and makes mutants impervious monsters: freaking shoot something.

Read more of Bill Murphy's Defiance: Launch Day Impressions.

Hey guys, is this where we get the free hotdogs?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• wayward516wayward516 Staff WriterMember Posts: 3
    Bill, your avatar looks like a total tool. Just saying. ;)
  • BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    That's why he wears a mask now.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
    Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

• MrBum21MrBum21 Member UncommonPosts: 405
    If you are playing on the PC keep an eye out for Honcho and say hi :)

the missing link in a chain of destruction.

All spelling and typographical errors are based soely on the fact that i just dont care. If you must point out my lack of atention to detail, please do it with a smile.

• crescens87crescens87 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Thank you for mentioning the fact that if a game is fun, that can out weigh smaller things like a weird UI and the soundtrack. Honestly I like the UI once you open a menu hold space for the wheel and select where you need to go.
  • RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240

Yeah, I usually have my sound muted in games. I've just come to expect a repetitive soundtrack when it comes to MMOs. My own music, however, usually makes a better soundtrack.

Looks pretty crowded in there, maybe I'll wait a week or two before making the purchase. Also, I'm not sure if you noticed but the DLC is $10 each and there is a pre-order for the DLC for 5 DLCs for $40.

Is loot player/group specific to whoever kills it or is it each person gets something so long as they are within range and did some damage?

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

Originally posted by Rossboss

Is loot player/group specific to whoever kills it or is it each person gets something so long as they are within range and did some damage?

It's player-specific.  Like recent action-RPGs.  But grouping is open, so as long as you do damage to something you have a shot at getting loot.  Not everything drops loot, scrip, or ammo.  But it comes often enough to feel like you're getting stuff for fighting.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433

Sad to hear about the customization...

Is the amount of active powers still limited to just one (and the available amount to four with modifiications)?

That was sort of the deal-breaker for me in beta, if not I might buy it.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Is the amount of active powers still limited to just one (and the available amount to four with modifiications)?

Yep, still the case. Four powers, but as you progress the loads of different weapons and perks available really change what each person is capable of.  In some later fights in alpha, you have folks with healing guns, folks with portable shield generating guns, and much more that make combat more group-oriented.  I think, with a combination of guns and perks, there's a decent amount of customization in character abilities.  But there are still only four main skills to choose from.

My Review Manifesto

• RossbossRossboss Member Posts: 240
    Originally posted by BillMurphy
    Originally posted by Rossboss

It's player-specific.  Like recent action-RPGs.  But grouping is open, so as long as you do damage to something you have a shot at getting loot.  Not everything drops loot, scrip, or ammo.  But it comes often enough to feel like you're getting stuff for fighting.

Ok, thanks. I couldn't really tell from watching and asking in a couple of live streams. Nice to see so much well deserved interest for a solid game, from what I hear.

I played the original Borderlands and loved it. This game seems similar in the way that combat is conducted which is great.

I played WoW up until WotLK, played RoM for 2 years and now Rift.
    I am F2P player. I support games when I feel they deserve my money and I want the items enough.
    I don't troll, and I don't take kindly to trolls.

• KalafaxKalafax Member UncommonPosts: 591

Hey Bill, been playing since yesterday when it launched, one of my Guilds from Kill'em Quickly( KeQ ) was accualy the first on the server by just accidently launching and getting into to character creation, he accualy got an email from Trion saying congratz and a little jok about April Fools and his account got credited 2000 bits which is pretty cool for a first on the server award thing.

Your armor looks sweet, I liked the delux armor but I couldnt quite splurge the extra money for it,  so far having a great time, I did alot of Beta/Alpha testing so I'm used to the UI by now and once you figure it out its not so bad, though it could use some tweaks for the PC like you said, the music is nothing special so I usualy run my own music in the background while the game sound is still on( first game I've kept game sound on in a while ) because theres alot of sound ques that help give you the edge in mutant/bug fighting.

its great fun having tons of people on now, the Ark events are getting crazy and so far the server hasnt had any issues for me, I'm running on a low end system and the graphics were still improved with the launch without causing any lag. Anyways having a blast see you on the other side Ark Hunter.

Mess with the best, Die like the rest

• IsturiIsturi Member Posts: 1,509
    Having a blast Bill. Not much more to say because it seems everyone is dead on. This game is very fun, worth the price.

• LahuzerLahuzer Member UncommonPosts: 782
    Just hope that the PVP for the game will be more then some deathmatches etc in the long run, and also not only instanced. Would be nice with areas dedicated for open world PVP later. But we'll see if that will happen, or if it will cater more to the PVE peeps as it is now. I would like just as much attention to the PVP side as they've put to the PVE side.
  • DJMantissDJMantiss Member Posts: 100
    I really enjoyed this game in beta and alpha. Still I have the same worries as you mentioned above, "What will keep people coming back?" Something I have no real answer to right now. I've been through all of San Francisco and seen the story, or what we could do of it. The ride is great but I just couldn't buy it as I'm not sold on the future of the game.
  • FdzzaiglFdzzaigl Member UncommonPosts: 2,433
    Originally posted by Fdzzaigl

Yep, still the case. Four powers, but as you progress the loads of different weapons and perks available really change what each person is capable of.  In some later fights in alpha, you have folks with healing guns, folks with portable shield generating guns, and much more that make combat more group-oriented.  I think, with a combination of guns and perks, there's a decent amount of customization in character abilities.  But there are still only four main skills to choose from.

I get that and saw the variety in beta (up to a point), but it's still a no-go for me personally. Other TPS shooters have definitely managed to squeeze more active powers in there.

Gave feedback on this in the beta, as did a lot of other people who shared similar thoughts. I fear that passives (many of which are frankly also unexciting) and different guns will only last so long before it gets boring. That's what it did for me in each case. Too bad really, with some more options to play around with I would've really liked to delve into Defiance.

Feel free to use my referral link for SW:TOR if you want to test out the game. You'll get some special unlocks!

• stalker989stalker989 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    I played in the Alpha and Beta. The game is fun, but for me tended to lose interest the farther I went. The killer for me for buying, is the server issues that they have. There was little tolerance for any type of lag in connection. Also, a minor peeve, was that when you were maxed at 4 perks, I always had to reset the 4th perk in a fresh run of the game. For whatever reason, it always emptied it out and I had to re-add it. Upside - I really like the concept of an MMO and TV series running together. I am going to watch the show and keep track of the game to see how it works out. Maybe in the future I will get it.

• rommellorommello Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 185
    from the gameplay, does feel quite a bit worse than firefall.

hallo ~_~

Thought I'd add something here that I'll touch on again in the Thursday RIP: The AI... it's pretty bad. TotalBiscuit just reminded me how USED to bad AI I've become because of MMOs.  But this is also a shooter, so I can't let it slide for being an MMO as well.

My Review Manifesto

• BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Bad AI gets a pass in mmo because its pve bad ai across the board. Im fighting the same conditions you are now, we have a level board can you do it better than me or me better than you. And thats what makes competitive pve tick.
  • TorrmwyreTorrmwyre Member UncommonPosts: 66
    Thought I'd add something here that I'll touch on again in the Thursday RIP: The AI... it's pretty bad. TotalBiscuit just reminded me how USED to bad AI I've become because of MMOs.  But this is also a shooter, so I can't let it slide for being an MMO as well.

Like Global Agenda bad?

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571

I'd like to hear your thought on the chat system. Personally I don't see how any game calling itself an MMO can launch with a chat system that's so, what's the word I'm looking for.... Broken? Limiting? Craptacular? You get the idea.

Fun game as far as the actual gameplay goes, but really could have used a little more work in some areas, particularly the UI and chat.

I agree chat needs help and community building needs help and we may have to hold console players hands as they figure out what community is. Then once they do they will want more and invade pc gaming as well. This is win win. I am liking this so far I can farm all day and I get to do ig with a gun grenades fourwheelers and friends
  • Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713
    I actually didnt think the AI was that bad. The game is already hard as !@#$ sometimes! But i'm not a hardcore shooter guy.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    This game has some surprisingly fun firefights.  I just wish group communication was better.  The chatbox is so minimal that there's very little feel of cooperation going on.  Still a lot of fun right now though.

You make me like charity

• GoldenArrowGoldenArrow Member UncommonPosts: 1,186

Defiance is basically Borderlands 2 with all the elements of a MMORPG that weren't present in Borderlands 2.

As suprised I 'm this is a dream game for me (die hard fan of Borderlands).

Not to mention the whole tv-show/mmorpg conjunction that is yet to be seen <3

Well done Trion, well done.

Is it to early to say rhis is the best thing since sliced bread for consoles? Why aren't thier more mmo console games? They wait till ps4 is 1/2 year away then drop this awesomeness