Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Internal Testers checking in!

Comments

• Daventry85Daventry85 Member Posts: 7

Internal Testing , Check!

Is there word on where or how to go about buying / funding more to get extra FP?

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by TheConsequent
    Speaking of Backer's Forums, I hope MJ plans to have these set up and ready to go asap once the funding is successful. I know alot of us would really like to feel included in the celebration. Might make for some dissension as well if the hordes have to wait too long. Hopefully the ducks in a row are a good omen. :)

I suspect the sooner the game is funded, the sooner the forums will be up after the Kickstarter campaign ends. They are not going to devote the resources to getting them going until they know the game is a go. If they know the game is a go at the end of this week, they could start setting up the forums in anticipation of the actual funding date.

Setting up forums for a community this large, which will include skinning, branding, user groups, permissions, and maybe even integration down the line with another account system, is a lot of work. The forums also have to be on very powerful hardware because they will need to withstand thousands of concurrent users making tons of database queries. This is not something you can make happen in a day or two at all.

So, they need to either purchase/rent server hardware to do that and set it all up themselves, or use something like what Invision Power or Vanilla Forums offer and have another company that specializes in this worry about hosting and the bulk of the setup and optimization. This may be the better path for a small team.

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    *raises hand*

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• gylnnegylnne Member UncommonPosts: 322
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Isn't this game just beginning development?  Some of you might want to find a hobby for the next couple years...

Hmm is forum posting considered a hobby?:P

• Desiderium2012Desiderium2012 Member UncommonPosts: 37

Dragonium Checkin' In

*waves*

• TheConsequentTheConsequent Member Posts: 51
    A few of us who are heavy into the testing etc have made a small side forum. If you are interested in joining, send me a PM.

• skyexileskyexile Member CommonPosts: 692

I am in internal!

SKYeXile
    TRF - GM - GW2, PS2, WAR, AION, Rift, WoW, WOT....etc...
    Future Crew - High Council. Planetside 1 & 2.

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96
    A few of us who are heavy into the testing etc have made a small side forum. If you are interested in joining, send me a PM.

I'm sure when the game funds Andrew will make a spot on the official forums for the Internals.

• ChimoshChimosh Member Posts: 1
    Chimosh reporting in for the internal fisting.... i mean testing.
  • Desiderium2012Desiderium2012 Member UncommonPosts: 37
    Originally posted by Foggye

I'm sure when the game funds Andrew will make a spot on the official forums for the Internals.

The 1st rule of Internal Testing Club is.. ;)

• TheConsequentTheConsequent Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Foggye

Of course. We just want to get to know each other, muse, plan, and dream in a troll-free environment until then.

• meadmoonmeadmoon Member UncommonPosts: 1,344
    Is it even legal to have this many epeens in one place? image
  • PlanetfistPlanetfist Member Posts: 1

Planetfist checking in with Internal Access. 

Have alpha / beta tested extensively since Ultimate Online.

• TelynTelyn Member UncommonPosts: 15
    Checking in as an internal tester.  I'll post more about experiences when I'm not on an iPhone with a weak 3G connection.
  • FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96
    Originally posted by Planetfist

Planetfist checking in with Internal Access. 

Have alpha / beta tested extensively since Ultimate Online.

Nice to have a vet.

• KejekKejek Member Posts: 14

Wasn't sure if I would attempt to grab that. But everything kind of lined up and I was able too. Really made sure it was what I wanted to do.

Beta'd games ranging from some of Mythic's earlier games (AO, Magestorm etc) to many of the current gen MMO's.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314

You may add me to your list. I got the Inn.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• TyrsisTyrsis Member UncommonPosts: 13
    Checking in. I'm a UI/UX Architect by trade so I will be focusing heavily on the usability and overall experience of the UI.
  • ShadowflayerShadowflayer Member Posts: 1
    You can add me as well. Ive done some light beta stuff nothing like this yet. I am really excited to be a part of the process and get some real testing under my belt.

So, experiences with testing and internalness.  I've alpha and beta tested quite a few of the major MMOs beginning, I think, with Earth and Beyond, as well as a lot of the not so major MMOs.  My experience has varied from game to game.  Some companies have very organized tests with focused testing on specific things for a few days or a week, after which they move on to test other aspects of the game.  Some companies are very loose, just saying "get in there and mess around and tell us when you run into bugs or problems."  Sometimes there are detailed bug report forms, other times just a /bug command or even "let us know on the forums,"  or "send email."  Some companies communicate well and often, others not so much. 

Possibly relevant to our prospects, in DAOC, I was on the semi-closed Pendragon forums with other players, team leads, and people from the internal team.  Not many players were aware of the forums, I think, so those of us who were had a lot of opportunity to talk with the developers about game systems.  There and in the beta tests, I found the Mythic people to be very good at communicating and a lot of fun to talk with.  During the earliest parts of testing, the devs played beside the player testers to test group events.  I'm sort of expecting the same kind of people with CU.

Another thing that varies is at what stage of the game "alpha" testing begins.  In some cases there's very little world open and only a few game systems in place.  In others, the game is pretty close to finished.  At this point, I haven't seen anything to indicate what we'll find when we start testing, other than the comments that we can expect a lot of hard and boring work.  IMO it's only hard and boring if you don't love it.  I tend to really get immersed in the testing, so the time flies by.

I've also worked a little in the MMO industry.  Though it was never my day job, I spent well over 40 hours per week for about five years on a game called Hero's Journey that ultimately (and sadly) wasn't released.  I started as a quest designer, moved into training, which involved a lot of QC of trainees' work, then for the bulk of my time, headed the WorldBuilding team.  When I started, there was only a little square of land in a grey void and limited option characters that more floated than walked.   There was no combat, no abilities, no inventory, no much of anything, at first.  Someone would build part of a level or a game system, then grab people online to come test it.  Problems would show up, the problems would be tweaked, then we'd test it again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  Of course, in that case people were online and handy because we were making things - systems, models, levels, etc. - which isn't what we'll be doing.  So I'm guessing we might get lists of things to check out with or without set times.

Those who have said we're not in IT to play a game early are correct, IMO.  We're there to test things that are important to CU's success.  What we'll test and how we'll test it will depend on how the CU team wants to use us.  My advice is to not have a lot of expectations and just wait and see what they want us to do and how we can be most helpful.  I, for one, can't wait!

Telyn, former Bard of Hibernia, Guinevere, among other things

Originally posted by fanglo

You may add me to your list. I got the Inn.

That is so cool.  I love that reward and wish I had the cash for it right now.

• MaricMaric Member UncommonPosts: 98

I'm in for the BSC Collectors Tier.

I'm trying to figure out if the Hero digital keys I get to gift come with everything listed in the Hero tier? I guess they must right?

• SorninSornin Member Posts: 1,133
    Originally posted by Maric

I'm in for the BSC Collectors Tier.

I'm trying to figure out if the Hero digital keys I get to gift come with everything listed in the Hero tier? I guess they must right?

I would expect so, else why specify a tier? It would be a nice thing to confirm, if it has not been confirmed already.

• RealLifeGobboRealLifeGobbo Member Posts: 218

I chose a package with the option to participate or not, but I plan to. :-) I typically work night-shift at my job, so it can be a little hard to tell, so that's why I went that route.

A little bit about me. I have been a Linux SysAd for the last 11 years, hobby programmer for 17 years, and been making music for 24 years. :-) I've never actually done any alpha game testing, but am quite familiar with the process. I have been on several beta tests with a few big titles such as Vanguard, WAR, and Rift.

Aspiring Game Musician <<>> Inquiring ears, feel free to visit: http://www.youtube.com/user/vagarylabs

• VerbVerb Member Posts: 14

I was one of the 20 or so that pledged the IT tier in the first minute the kickstarter went live yersterday.  Here is why:

1.  I'm super excited for this game (or I guess at this point it's an idea for a game).  I want to help make it the best game possible when it goes live.  Everything in the foundational principles aligns with my feelings on what makes a great game.  I love PvP, PvE has always been something I had to do more than something I really wanted to do.

2.  CSE claims they are going to listen to their backers/playerbase.  The way I see it the earlier in the development cycle I am able to provide feedback the more likely my feedback is to have influence on the game.

3.  What keeps me playing an MMO is the community.  I like being out in open world PvP and recognizing the players next to me in battle as well as the ones I'm fighting against.  I think this is a fairly unique oppurtunity to get to know core group of players as we progress through the life cycle of the game together from IT to Alpha to Beta to live.

Some others have posted about their testing qualifications so I'll touch on that I suppose.  I am an application developer (not in the gaming industry).  A very large portion of my time is spent on testing.  I put large projects through design, build, unit testing, integrated unit testing, qa testing and user acceptance testing before they go live.  I've filled out bug/defect reports at every stage of the SDLC.   I no longer work with it, but in college I did research in computer graphics, I developed an eye for graphics related bugs and common causes of them.  I have been involved in beta testing many of the major MMO's that have launched over the past ten years and I never take them simply as a free game.

Looking forward to seeing you all in IT,

-Verb