Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

TERA vs. GW2

raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI CorrespondentArabi, GAPosts: 1,095Member
Which has more to offer?

Comments

• LobotomistLobotomist ZagrebPosts: 5,060Member Uncommon

I think both are very good ,

but in GW2 you get all with no limitation

and in TERA you will be forced to pay sub if you want full experience.

TERA is more mainstream MMO - leveling , unlocking new skills , quests ... etc  -  you get that grind to the top.

GW2 is more like ARPG and has little in common with normal MMO ways - you will not get that clear progress to the top (all is available almost instantly)

Honestly, play both if you have time :)

• AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,782Member Uncommon

GW2 by far. I have played both.

Tera beautiful graphics and unique combat but that is where it ends.

GW2 has the same as Tera's best features and way more including great PvE, PvP, and much more.

I may sound biased but this is MHO.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• evilpreyevilprey CalafatPosts: 67Member Uncommon
    can't compare those 2 games . Tera is a major fail and Guild Wars 2 is best MMO on market at this moment
  • ScalplessScalpless SnowballvillePosts: 1,396Member Uncommon
    GW2. However, some people think TERA's combat is better. I disagree.
  • raystantzraystantz Final Fantasy XI Correspondent Arabi, GAPosts: 1,095Member
    I was just curious, I'm playing both right now. I liked the combat in TERA, and the open world pvp.. but that's about where it ended. I like everything else better in GW2, but I do miss the open world pvp.

• DamonVileDamonVile Vancouver, BCPosts: 4,818Member
    Originally posted by Lobotomist

There is no "sub" and the elite is just a mount + xp/gold/rep bonuses so how do you figure this ?

Originally posted by DamonVile

There is no "sub" and the elite is just a mount + xp/gold/rep bonuses so how do you figure this ?

My bad.

I assumed there is some drawback - although i didnt notice any.

More power to TERA , what can i say :)

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ HillerødPosts: 1,197Member Uncommon

Of those two..

Guild Wars 2

Because grinding to max level is no fun.

Playing ATM: Elder Scrolls Online, Diablo 3
    MMO's shelted: Check my mmorpg profile
    KICKSTARTED: Camelot Unchained. (250 USD)

Originally posted by raystantz
    I was just curious, I'm playing both right now. I liked the combat in TERA, and the open world pvp.. but that's about where it ended. I like everything else better in GW2, but I do miss the open world pvp.

They indeed rank very close.

TERA is more "mmoish" , while GW2 is more ... something else.

• SvarcanumSvarcanum SthlmPosts: 341Member Uncommon
    Both games have their virtues but for me Tera is the best game. It wins by its superb combat, better group gameplay and the end game gear grind.
  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,222Member Uncommon

If you have money for GW2 I would buy that and play Tera F2P and buy unlocks as you need if you like the game.

They offer two different gaming experiences and I really like them both.

• rodingorodingo Posts: 2,346Member Uncommon

For anyone that already owns GW2, there is no harm in trying/playing Tera.  Tera has one of the better F2P models out that I have seen.  If SWTOR used their F2P model I would be playing SWTOR right now.  The questing in Tera though is very standard fare of kill X amount of Y or go to location A and gather material B.  Sure people can say that about GW2, but at least in GW2 it's disguised a lot better.  Also though skill is involved in playing Tera well, specially the warrior class, it's more focused on gear as opposed to GW2 being 99% player skill (which can translate to knowing your class and the mobs you are fighting) and whole lot less about gear.  I think the people who really love gear based games have the hardest time with likeing GW2 since the game wasn't really designed for them in the first place.

"If I offended you, you needed it" -Corey Taylor

• MadamefateMadamefate Brooklyn, NYPosts: 171Member
    Tera can't win for me because even if the combat seems a bit better. Your planted to the ground on most of your attacks that's too ancient for me.
    Originally posted by rodingo

For anyone that already owns GW2, there is no harm in trying/playing Tera.  Tera has one of the better F2P models out that I have seen.  If SWTOR used their F2P model I would be playing SWTOR right now.  The questing in Tera though is very standard fare of kill X amount of Y or go to location A and gather material B.  Sure people can say that about GW2, but at least in GW2 it's disguised a lot better.  Also though skill is involved in playing Tera well, specially the warrior class, it's more focused on gear as opposed to GW2 being 99% player skill (which can translate to knowing your class and the mobs you are fighting) and whole lot less about gear.  I think the people who really love gear based games have the hardest time with likeing GW2 since the game wasn't really designed for them in the first place.

I  would include ppl who like holy trinity will hate gw2's open role system. It sounded like a good idea to me until I played it and found I really don't like that style in a fantasy game.  Games like firefall and warframe work better that way..for me at least.

• AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,782Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rodingo

I  would include ppl who like holy trinity will hate gw2's open role system. It sounded like a good idea to me until I played it and found I really don't like that style in a fantasy game.  Games like firefall and warframe work better that way..for me at least.

I love holy trinity but also like the uniqueness GW2 system brings to gaming. It is more personal skill based, and resolves around knowing your opponent/mob more than relying on others to support you. GW2's style should have come before Trinity imho. Holy Trinity screwed up the indiviualism and funneled us into relying to much on others.

Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

• flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,550Member Uncommon
    I find Tera one of the worst games Ive played in ahwile.   Im currently playing GW2 and consider it one of the best games Ive ever played, so my vote is with GW2, lol.
  • flizzerflizzer Manchester, NHPosts: 1,550Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Scalpless

I would also agree with this.  I just don't understand how so many find the combat better in Tera.   In my opinion, GW2 combat is just superior. 

• wormedwormed Calgary, ABPosts: 374Member Uncommon

TERA. Even with all of its faults (and there are many), the combat is still the best in the business. It keeps the game interesting up until you realize there is no end game content.

I couldn't even stand GW2.

• wormedwormed Calgary, ABPosts: 374Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by flizzer

I would also agree with this.  I just don't understand how so many find the combat better in Tera.   In my opinion, GW2 combat is just superior. 

Yea, dat tab target. Whether you want to pretend it isn't, I guess that's your call.

• LeiloniLeiloni None of your beeswax, ALPosts: 432Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Madamefate
    Tera can't win for me because even if the combat seems a bit better. Your planted to the ground on most of your attacks that's too ancient for me.

That makes it more skill based. You can't just spam spells back to back, you have to make the right decisions or live with the consequences. Much more thought and skill goes into TERA's combat because movement is far more important than in GW2 where you're just running around on skates all day. If you don't use your dodge at the right time, you will get one shot by a boss because it's not like in GW2 where you can dodge twice back to back - once you use the skill, it goes on CD. If you're a healer and you're trying to kite a few people around, you need to choose wisely when you're going to stop to heal yourself up and when you need to keep going.

Also I much prefer the trinity based combat for grouping. It makes it much more organized and fun. GW2 is too hectic and it just feels like a bunch of solo players who happen to be in the same area. I get that there are ways to coordinate between players but it just can't compare to trinity based combat when it comes to working together to achieve a goal.

As far as endgame content TERA also wins out for both PvE and PvP. GW2 is fun to play solo but once you reach endgame it gets old fast. But I do prefer TERA's combat over GW2's any day -  I can only get into GW2 when I need breaks from TERA. :P

• jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member

You get far more than that. You can enter instances twice as often. You get far more dailies that you can do also, then there is the response bonuses, the keys, no cost to use the AH, 30 each NPC summon scrolls...travel atlas...

So basically, if you are hardcore or close to it, you will need to sub to be able to do those dungeon/instance runs as often as everyone else, same with getting rep as fast with those response bonuses.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• jtcgsjtcgs New Port Richey, ILPosts: 1,777Member
    Originally posted by Leiloni

That makes it more skill based. You can't just spam spells back to back, you have to make the right decisions or live with the consequences.

No. Just no. Being locked into place has been around forever. Action combat = movement. That is why so many have said Tera stole the entire combat system from Vindictus except one part...the action...which is why Vindictus is better.

GW2 is just plain better in every department.

“I hope we shall crush...in its birth the aristocracy of our moneyed corporations, which dare already to challenge our government to a trial of strength and bid defiance to the laws of our country." ~Thomes Jefferson

• aesperusaesperus Hamshire, NVPosts: 5,128Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by wormed
    Originally posted by flizzer

Yea, dat tab target. Whether you want to pretend it isn't, I guess that's your call.

Wormed, you do know w/ a few option tweaks you can literally make GW2's combat nearly identical to TERAs, right?

The biggest difference between the two games (besides the default settings), is that TERA has really severe animation lock. GW2 reserves animation lock for a few very specific, powerful skills (like meteor shower).

There's actually a fairly commonly used script for GW2 that toggles the options back & forth to make it like TERA, but because of the ToA on these forums it's not allowed to be discussed here.

- That said, there really is no question here. GW2 hands down has more to offer than TERA. GW2 has far more content, more variety of content, and continues to release more content on a monthly basis. TERA just doesn't. It's fine if you like TERA more, but objectively there's no question to the answer of the OP.

TERA definitely has some good features, and a lot of people are enjoying it, but anyone who says the game has more content than other MMOs, or that the game isn't grindy; is either lying or highly delusional.

• LeiloniLeiloni None of your beeswax, ALPosts: 432Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by jtcgs

That makes it more skill based. You can't just spam spells back to back, you have to make the right decisions or live with the consequences.

No. Just no. Being locked into place has been around forever. Action combat = movement. That is why so many have said Tera stole the entire combat system from Vindictus except one part...the action...which is why Vindictus is better.

GW2 is just plain better in every department.

You must not have played much TERA. It's very action and movement based and in fact moving is far more important than GW2 because if you don't do it properly, you will suffer for it. It's just far more skill based than GW2 in every way - movement needs to be done with thought, targeting needs to be done with thought since there's no tab targeting whatsoever in TERA, etc.

Originally posted by jtcgs

Funny..I don't see ppl say that ever but w/e. Axtion consol combat may require you to always move and spam buttons action mmo combat doesn't. Locking you in place kept tera combat where it should have been. Less about mashing keys while running around like a chicken with it's head cut off and more about knowing what your skills are and when to use them.

Everyone has an opinion I guess.