Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is DF p2p or f2p?

luke11hkluke11hk Member Posts: 3
Can anyone tell me? Thanks

Comments

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838

Thinks b2p. 60$ upfront.

I suggest you play the beta first.

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319
    "Pay for the Client" like guildwars and others.  Pay only once, play until you finish it or you get bored. 
  • RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904
    I was under the impression it was FTP...ah well...this game is MOST DEFINITELY NOT worth paying for....sorry...I played I experienced a myriad of bugs and boring gameplay....it would be a fun FTP, but not an ounce of money

I would have given it another go if free...yes.  Im willing to understand the "you get what you pay for" idea and am more than willing to try something of no value to me for free.  

Too cheap to play a game that isn't ready for release?  I don't really understand you're outlook...

I've been playing MMO's since Anarchy Online released and have been burned enough times to realize that if it isn't free now, there is a 90% chance it will be within a few months...I'll wait til then...

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    I have to admit that combat is surprisingly fun once you get a large group of players all helping out.  Definitely worth the $60 fee.

You make me like charity

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Randayn

I would have given it another go if free...yes.  Im willing to understand the "you get what you pay for" idea and am more than willing to try something of no value to me for free.  

Too cheap to play a game that isn't ready for release?  I don't really understand you're outlook...

I've been playing MMO's since Anarchy Online released and have been burned enough times to realize that if it isn't free now, there is a 90% chance it will be within a few months...I'll wait til then...

For someone who claims to have a lot of MMO experience, you seem very clueless on the reality of MMOs. There have been less than 10 major / AAA MMOs that converted to F2P. Only like 3 of those games have actually come out in the past 3 or 4 years vs older games that needed something to keep them alive just a bit longer. Thats out of several dozen MMOs released in the past decade. Stop pretending like almost every MMO goes F2P. Especially games which ae already B2P. You have what, 2 examples of major B2P games? GW and GW2. Not exactly enough to provide any real basis for you ridiculous notion that the majority of games, especially B2P games, convert to F2P. Especially "within a few months" considering that aside from SWTOR, every game which made the P2P to F2P conversion was already running for a minimum of 2 years before converting.

• rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    i will not deny the game would have been better priced at maybe $40, but im happy that its B2P. Dont need a sub, and fully free wouldnt work well with a massive shooter like this one. Firefall is free (and i love it too) but it has a lot less content so..... yeah.

• OmaliOmali MMO Business CorrespondentMember UncommonPosts: 1,177

I'm sure there will be a trial in a couple of months, or if Trion does what they did with Rift, they'll have an incredibly aggressive advertising campaign post-launch. Other than that, if Rift is anything to go off of, your hopes for free to play will be horribly shattered.

But since the game has no value to you, it won't matter whether or not you ever play it, right?

• Defiance is B2P like guild wars 2's payment plan.

There are convience and cosmetic items in the cash shop.

• Originally posted by rojo6934
    i will not deny the game would have been better priced at maybe $40, but im happy that its B2P. Dont need a sub, and fully free wouldnt work well with a massive shooter like this one. Firefall is free (and i love it too) but it has a lot less content so..... yeah.

That and F2P means hacker/cheaters lose nothing except a free account when they are caught.

• MikeJezZMikeJezZ Member UncommonPosts: 1,268
    I was under the impression it was FTP...ah well...this game is MOST DEFINITELY NOT worth paying for....sorry...I played I experienced a myriad of bugs and boring gameplay....it would be a fun FTP, but not an ounce of money

I'm sorry to hear the game didn't work out for you.

I haven't tried any betas, but bought it because many of my friends were hyped about it after trying beta.

I did regret a little, because I have tried too many times to get anal'ed by devs that releases their game as the "next best thing", just to realise how poor and crappy it is.

However, After trying Defiance for around 2 hours from midnight I got hooked alot. The combat is fun (no point and click, using 1,2,3,4 all the time), I like its a shooter combinated with a MMO.

But time will tell if it will stand. I was very excited for Guild Wars 2, which for me, came out as the next big failure the last few years, where Diablo III still has the grand prize for that title.

• r3dl4ncer3dl4nce Member UncommonPosts: 114

I was under the impression it was FTP...ah well...this game is MOST DEFINITELY NOT worth paying for....sorry...

Generic single player insert-name-here: € 40+ for 12-15 hours of content
    Defiance: months of fun for € 30 on g2play.
    And you think it's not worth paying? LOL!
  • kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by r3dl4nce

I was under the impression it was FTP...ah well...this game is MOST DEFINITELY NOT worth paying for....sorry...

Some people will only pay "free" for a game, no matter how much fun it is, how amazing, or how much lasting appeal.  If it isn't free to play, they'll pass.

It used to be if you wanted something that hundreds of people spent thousands of hours to bring you, you'd probably have to pay something for it.  Now, even the worst crap ever is awesome so long as it's free, and the best games to ever grace the Earth are not worth playing if they have any kind of cost.

Originally posted by kadepsyson

Some people will only pay "free" for a game, no matter how much fun it is, how amazing, or how much lasting appeal.  If it isn't free to play, they'll pass.

IMO you cannot blame them.

I also bought alot of junk for my hard earned money. Thankfully Defiance is not in that category.

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I also bought alot of junk for my hard earned money. Thankfully Defiance is not in that category.

I see your point.  I think these online titles should offer a free trial.  There's plenty of different ways to do a free trial, not sure how they can't figure out any way to get one going.  Free trials used to be commonplace.

Originally posted by MikeJezZ

I see your point.  I think these online titles should offer a free trial.  There's plenty of different ways to do a free trial, not sure how they can't figure out any way to get one going.  Free trials used to be commonplace.

Yeah.

Make it time limited (5 hours or so should be more than enough to find out if the game is something for you or not.

The bad animations really killed it for me in The Secret World. The game was actually fun, but the few problems I had with the game and those bad animations really killed it for me. That was 30$ flushed out in the toilet.

GW2 was fun in the beginning and I was sure I would play it for decades.

After I turned 80 and made some PvP I found out how boring and repetitive it was.

I could add alot more titles to this. And even though you and I can tell him it's every penny worth spent on this title, he might not like it. Taste is so different from player to player.

Which is also why games with no Trials are so dangerous to put out today. People have been kicked in the ass so many times by devs promising this and that.

Those beta weekends, which are some sort of "Trial before launch" instead of actualy betas, are typical in the weekends where I have other things to do than gaming. I allmost never have the opportunity to try out the games. If they just had some 5 hour trial instead I could make up my mind, instead of being suspicious to every developer out there, which I am atm. I only had faith in Defiance because I have used Trion before with Rift.

Trion's support lack's support IMO. But besides that, I cannot say anything about Rift, Trion, or Defiance.

Well said, MikeJezZ.  I agree with that.

Just want to add, the people who are hesitant, and do a trial, can become paying customers.  So it's good business sense as well.

There's just a few things that bugs me with Defiance:

- console ui.

- When you take shoulder aim (use Mouse2), the aim is very slow. Guess thats made so you just dont keep shoulder aiming, and because the game is also made for consoles where that kind of aim usually is pretty slow.

But besides that, I can only recommend the game.

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Can't be serious..had to be april fools day joke. Please explain how a B2P MMO can go F2P....!!!!

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Originally posted by Doogiehowser

Can't be serious..had to be april fools day joke. Please explain how a B2P MMO can go F2P....!!!!

most of the player does not know the difference between f2p and b2p... So I wouldn't hold my breath for a valid argument.

Not a joke man.  The only two B2P MMO's in the market happen to be some of the most popular as well.  Defiance will not follow in ArenaNet's footsteps on the popularity charts.

I see the game not being able to see enough copies to pay the mortgage, but we'll see about that.  If not, it will go FTP.  If a PTP fails in 6 months, at least it collected some funds on the way...if BTP fails, they've only collected box price so it's a harder hit.  We'll see though.  I played it and just wasn't blown away.  It is worlds better than Firefall, but what game isn't better than Firefall?

• DoogiehowserDoogiehowser Member Posts: 1,873

Not a joke man.  The only two B2P MMO's in the market happen to be some of the most popular as well.  Defiance will not follow in ArenaNet's footsteps on the popularity charts.

I see the game not being able to see enough copies to pay the mortgage, but we'll see about that.  If not, it will go FTP.  If a PTP fails in 6 months, at least it collected some funds on the way...if BTP fails, they've only collected box price so it's a harder hit.  We'll see though.  I played it and just wasn't blown away.  It is worlds better than Firefall, but what game isn't better than Firefall?

I don't have enough /facepalms for you if you think a B2P MMO can go F2P lol....... oh man it hurts..stop making me laugh so much..lol

"The problem is that the hardcore folks always want the same thing: 'We want exactly what you gave us before, but it has to be completely different.'
    -Jesse Schell

"Online gamers are the most ludicrously entitled beings since Caligula made his horse a senator, and at least the horse never said anything stupid."
    -Luke McKinney

Game could and will go down in price it is just a matter of time

The Defiance series could be good marketing for the game.

Normally p2p goes f2p or b2p.

b2p does not go f2p.

• ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,395
    Originally posted by Oberholzer

...... I'm having fun playing it though.  Karl Von Bach is such a hilarious character.

Gotta agree there.  Von Bach definitely played well.  Hope that they TV show manages equally interesting characters.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    I think it's a great game. I love the setting, and I've had a blast in it. I love the sci-fi and the shootings! For me it's like a blend of Borderlands with Tabula Rasa. I think it's well worth the box price. That being said I wouldn't have paid a monthly for it. I'm also looking forward to the tv show too.