Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why this game will fail... and fail HARD.

Comments

• Mors.MagneMors.Magne Member UncommonPosts: 1,549

Originally posted by Phry
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Nobody in their right mind is going to buy a ps3 if there is a possibility that a ps4 might be in the offing in the next year or so though...

There is no data in the history of console systems to support that statement.

Ever.

Never ever.

Period.

Actually, data to the contrary has been repeatedly posted, but I guess you missed those posts.

'isnt Dust 514 just an 8v8 game anyway?'   

24x24

'But how about looking at it from within Eve, already there are complaints about how the Dust bunnies are becoming an annoying feature on the in game chat channels.. in Eve..'  

That dude that complained was laughed out of channel by all the other players that could figure out how to use the options panel in the few systems that DUST chat actually shows up in. Wait... was that you, Phry?

'oh yeah, and Eve players refer to dust players as dust bunnies, no love lost there in all honesty.'

The DUST players came up with that one. Here's a pic from a while ago that they had floating around the DUST514 forum: http://gekiv2.deviantart.com/art/Dust-Bunnies-305097020

If' you're going to hate on something, at least get your facts straight first, otherwise it's just ... well, painful to watch such trainwreck posting.

trainwreck posting, not quite the same thing as posting about a trainwreck is it.. though i think i see now why dust will never make it to PC

Much as i thought the chances of a ps4 ever happening was going to be unlikely, you'll soon be hearing why thats not the case, from Sony, though they are going to be announcing the ps4 in the next few months, i don't think it will be coming in 2013, just that their trying to get a lead on microsofts next xbox.

As for dust players being called dust bunnies on the eve forums, they've also been referred to as dust mites.. by eve forums i mean the official ones though. but back to why i think that dust will never make it to PC, simple really, planetside 2, as problematic as that game is - and recently its had more than a few, it still represents a much better game, deeper gameplay, more options, and, a hell of a lot more players. 24 x 24..  can only be due to console limitations, probably small maps too. but thats the difference between a MMOFPS and a MOFPS, you don't need to guess which one i think is which image

PS3 has a very important advantage over PC - with PS3 you can't cheat with extra software.

This will be very important soon in DUST when planetary battles will be introduced - far more will be at stake.

A big problem with Planetside 2 is that everything is reset every day. Your victories are temporary. With Eve that won't be the case. Someone will have to beat you for your terratory - until then, you will get all the benefits from keeping it.

You can 'own' as big a part of the Eve universe as you want to - that is one important difference.

There is talk of battles having more players than 24 x 24 in DUST, but don't forget, DUST is very much still in beta.

• BoardwalkerBoardwalker Member UncommonPosts: 388

Dust has been improved by leaps and bounds since this thread was started. Also keep in mind that the game is in beta---it seems a lot of people in this thread are treating the game like it's already been released.

As for it being a PS3 exclusive, that is only true for the first year of it's life. After that, it can go anywhere, including the PC. Also keep in mind that Dust probably wouldn't exist if it wasn't for Sony's funding, hence the PS exclusivity contract.

They can adjust a game all day, but they can't help the issue between the keyboard and the chair.
    Played: UO, DAoC, AC, WoW, EVE, TR, WAR, Aion, Rift, SWTOR, GW2, TSW, ESO, Elite:D
    Play EVE for free for 21 days

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

I think people skip over posts or ignore or deny their existence ill put it in caps

"I'm not going to play DUST because it is PS3 Exclusive, and i am a PC player that playes EVE"

DUST'S TARGET AUDIENCE IS NOT AIMED FOR YOU TO BEGIN WITH!

THEY DON'T WANT THE PC CROWD!

Hopefully that is clear enough.

• Cody_RauhCody_Rauh Member UncommonPosts: 76

I know a few things.

1. Dust is on Ps3 only.

2. I don't Own a Ps3.

3. Nor will I buy one for Dust.

4. I would play it on x360.

5. But it isn't there, so fuck it. 

Playstation hasn't been cool since about 1997, when ff7 was released. lol, btw POE has a system like materia, hence why I am playing the hell out of that during the week, and putting shit in front of my barrel on the weekends with my buddies on xbox.

Originally posted by perefim

I know a few things.

1. Dust is on Ps3 only.

2. I don't Own a Ps3.

Playstation hasn't been cool since about 1997, when ff7 was released. lol, btw POE has a system like materia, hence why I am playing the hell out of that during the week, and putting shit in front of my barrel on the weekends with my buddies on xbox.

I would go further and say all games consoles are not cool because they don't have the versitility of a PC.

But oh well, never mind.

• CothorCothor Member UncommonPosts: 174
    Anything called DUST 514 is going to fail, that is a fact. Dead serious.
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247
    Originally posted by Loktofeit

Nobody in their right mind is going to buy a ps3 if there is a possibility that a ps4 might be in the offing in the next year or so though...

There is no data in the history of console systems to support that statement.

Ever.

Never ever.

Period.

Actually, data to the contrary has been repeatedly posted, but I guess you missed those posts.

'isnt Dust 514 just an 8v8 game anyway?'   

24x24

'But how about looking at it from within Eve, already there are complaints about how the Dust bunnies are becoming an annoying feature on the in game chat channels.. in Eve..'  

That dude that complained was laughed out of channel by all the other players that could figure out how to use the options panel in the few systems that DUST chat actually shows up in. Wait... was that you, Phry?

'oh yeah, and Eve players refer to dust players as dust bunnies, no love lost there in all honesty.'

The DUST players came up with that one. Here's a pic from a while ago that they had floating around the DUST514 forum: http://gekiv2.deviantart.com/art/Dust-Bunnies-305097020

If' you're going to hate on something, at least get your facts straight first, otherwise it's just ... well, painful to watch such trainwreck posting.

trainwreck posting, not quite the same thing as posting about a trainwreck is it.. though i think i see now why dust will never make it to PC

Much as i thought the chances of a ps4 ever happening was going to be unlikely, you'll soon be hearing why thats not the case, from Sony, though they are going to be announcing the ps4 in the next few months, i don't think it will be coming in 2013, just that their trying to get a lead on microsofts next xbox.

As for dust players being called dust bunnies on the eve forums, they've also been referred to as dust mites.. by eve forums i mean the official ones though. but back to why i think that dust will never make it to PC, simple really, planetside 2, as problematic as that game is - and recently its had more than a few, it still represents a much better game, deeper gameplay, more options, and, a hell of a lot more players. 24 x 24..  can only be due to console limitations, probably small maps too. but thats the difference between a MMOFPS and a MOFPS, you don't need to guess which one i think is which image

So you agree everything you said was complete horse ****. Thank you.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Cody_RauhCody_Rauh Member UncommonPosts: 76
    Originally posted by Mors.Magne

I know a few things.

1. Dust is on Ps3 only.

2. I don't Own a Ps3.

I would go further and say all games consoles are not cool because they don't have the versitility of a PC.

But oh well, never mind.

Yeah, I have to agree, cause thats all consoles are, stripped down computers, with severly less function, my droid phone can do more for me than any console, pretty damn sad.

• LoktofeitLoktofeit Member RarePosts: 14,247

Yeah, I have to agree, cause thats all consoles are, stripped down computers, with severly less function, my droid phone can do more for me than any console, pretty damn sad.

It will be interesting to find out how close to PCs the next generation of consoles heads. Something as simple as mouse/kybd support and a fully functioning modern browser would make a rather large leap in that direction. 

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Squal'ZellSqual'Zell Member Posts: 1,803

Originally posted by Squal'Zell

I think people skip over posts or ignore or deny their existence ill put it in caps

"I'm not going to play DUST because it is PS3 Exclusive, and i am a PC player that playes EVE"

DUST'S TARGET AUDIENCE IS NOT AIMED FOR YOU TO BEGIN WITH!

THEY DON'T WANT THE PC CROWD!

Hopefully that is clear enough.

I know a few things.

1. Dust is on Ps3 only.

2. I don't Own a Ps3.

since you can't bother reading 1 post over yours, here i quoted it for you

• MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297

I know a few things.

1. Dust is on Ps3 only.

2. I don't Own a Ps3.

If you're annoyed that Dust isn't available on the 360, then let Microsoft know you're unhappy about it. CCP wanted to launch it on both consoles, but MS refused to let them give free updates and expansions, or use game severs that MSoft didn't own.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by Crownregent
    1 : It completely alienates the PC fan base from EVE, short of those who are willing to shell out for 299 Dollar in the US and 1.500 NOK-159 British pounds or euro in Europe for a PS3. 2: The whole first impression of the game, including a race called Jovians which WAS orginally on DUST 514 official page, is now gone making the game much more unattractive to older Eve players who still are PC DIE HARDS. 3: To make the game not take advantage of Same Server as orginal game is a big FAIL, as this will make Ventrillo nigh to impossible from EVE to DUST514 unless CCP somehow make Unique channels for each of the guilds. Which will really defy the whole point of Dust 514 integration into the mainstream EVE. 4: To make a game thats a platform exclusive is one thing, but to make it completely opposite the main fanbase of EVE, is just plain suicide for a offspring mmo. Just my 10 cents.This will be yet another Tabula Rasa... Much overhyped. Too quick too short too far from the fanbase and deemed to fail from day one. 

1) It's not meant to appeal to the original fanbase, but to a new fanbase. CCP is looking to expand their market, so they're looking toward consoles which have a very different userbase than PC mmo's.

2) See 1). The game is not supposed to appeal to EVE players, but console FPS players.

3) Dust DOES run on Tranquility. You CAN talk to people in EVE.

4) You're repeating your earlier points again. See 1 and 2.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

Originally posted by lizardbones
    I could be wrong here, but I think CCP's goal is a whole bunch of new players participating in the Eve universe. They aren't really looking to get Eve players into Dust, because then there would be fewer people playing Eve.

** Dang It! Obi beat me to it! **

less lag in EVE.

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

Well Dust is failing pretty hard, only 1.5 million accounts created, if only CCP had listened to all the incognito game developers who post here with their years of publishing experience :( :( :(

• DihoruDihoru Member Posts: 2,731

Out of my core group of friends in EVE I'd say 4 play Dust 514 already out of around 20 individuals , Hell my former CEO went full Dust 514, he still logs onto EVE mind you but way less than he used to. So I'd say just on that merit alone Dust 514 is a mild success among EVE fans and before you even ask 2 of those 4 bought PS3s specifically  to play Dust.

That said I was one of the guys pissed that CCP wasn't bringing Dust 514 to the PC anytime soon but after I calmed down and actually did a little research into their motives it makes sense because Sony offered to help fund development for Dust for exclusivity and while you may say what you want about the console crowd in general consoles themselves are good form factors for cross-linking experiments like these.

Hopefully it will further improve after release when combat should feel more meaningful.

I think it needs rouge drone PvE.

Originally posted by Mors.Magne

Hopefully it will further improve after release when combat should feel more meaningful.

I think it needs rouge drone PvE.

I for one welcome our makeup-based overlords.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    This game is aimed at console players not pc players but I am almost positive if you are a pc player that wants to have a new experience CCP and Sony will welcome you with open arms. 
  • BattlerockBattlerock Member CommonPosts: 1,393
    Eve players are getting a discount on the ps4 and the two worlds will come together with option for cross platform as well on ps4 and pc
  • Jaxon26Jaxon26 Member Posts: 23
    So 3 of your 4 bullets involve the fact that it's on the PS3? Hate to break it to you but I'm a PC gamer who has an Xbox 360, Wii and PS3. Most gamers aren't either/or anymore. 
  • IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    I'v been a PC gamer all my life, but bought a used PS3 for €90 for DUST. No problem at all.
  • stalker989stalker989 Member UncommonPosts: 34
    No console game will every surpass a PC game in the ability to mod, alter (yes cheating also unfortunately), and customize any given game. Unless console manufacturer's make their units upgradeable (which would probably cost more than a new one). I own all 3 (and some vintage console greatness), but rarely play consoles.

• simpliussimplius Member UncommonPosts: 1,134

Theres just so many hurdles here

two VERY competetive , but different player Groups are supposed to be working together as a team

theyre on TOTALLY different  game systems,, alot of tech issues

imagine , two raids in different instances, but still relying on each others success for progression,,flame wars de luxe

cccp are trying to get new customers, to compensate for the PLEX accounts

i seriously doubt, that this will help them much

• UnrealRpgUnrealRpg Member UncommonPosts: 138
    70 million consoles sold and f2p. I'm sure people will play it.
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz

1) It's not meant to appeal to the original fanbase, but to a new fanbase. CCP is looking to expand their market, so they're looking toward consoles which have a very different userbase than PC mmo's.

The problem with that assumption is, console players are NOT looking for Eve type of games.

They are looking for quick and dirty - ie. games that they can just jump in a shoot a few folks online after work and then switch off and watch movie.

Dust will be a game that you need to care, need to make friends and play for hours on end. Thus it seems to be aiming for the wrong niche and wrong audience.

This discussion has been closed.