Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honestly, disgusted with the testing monetization

HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

I guess if people are willing to pay for it, charge em. But damn, this kickstarter is focusing on it like its such a privilege to play an unfinished mmo.

Am cool with rewards tiers, I guess I'm just disgusted with how mmos and beta tests have turned out. Used to be something you'd want to invite experienced users to participate in and you would thank them for it. Now you sell it and the testers thank you for it.

Meh.

Comments

• kadepsysonkadepsyson Member UncommonPosts: 1,919
    Originally posted by Hokibukisa

I guess if people are willing to pay for it, charge em. But damn, this kickstarter is focusing on it like its such a privilege to play an unfinished mmo.

Am cool with rewards tiers, I guess I'm just disgusted with how mmos and beta tests have turned out. Used to be something you'd want to invite experienced users to participate in and you would thank them for it. Now you sell it and the testers thank you for it.

Meh.

"If you pay us enough money, we'll let you find bugs for us!"

And all the fools open their wallet.

Would these same MMORPG gamers pay McDonalds to let them work there?  It comes with a free uniform!!

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376
    I think it's a good thing. You know people who help fund a project are going to actually care about how it turns out, and give the best feedback and bug reporting. Rather than inviting random people who sign up for every alpha/beta test they can.
    Originally posted by OgreRaper
    I think it's a good thing. You know People who help fund a project are going to actually care about how it turns out. Rather than inviting random people who sign up for every alpha/beta test they can.

So why not invite long time DAOC players to be testers of the new game in the same franchise?

Oh, that's right, money.

• PRX_sklurbPRX_sklurb Member Posts: 167

"Ask not what City State Entertainment can do for me, but what can I do for City State Entertainment!" - John F. Kennedy

This is an opportunity to be kind, to help out, to send someone good juju. The alpha is a way of saying, "Thanks, here is something we can give back to those who wish to participate in a team effort to make something awesome."

CLICK: »»» http://CamelotUnchained.net «««

• AdorianBladeAdorianBlade Member Posts: 62
    Originally posted by kadepsyson
    I think it's a good thing. You know People who help fund a project are going to actually care about how it turns out. Rather than inviting random people who sign up for every alpha/beta test they can.

So why not invite long time DAOC players to be testers of the new game in the same franchise?

Oh, that's right, money.

How else are they going to fund this when they have no publisher or venture capatalist? Honestly only people who care about this game concept are going to fork over the money anyway and those are the best people to have help shape the game they want to play.

• TheConsequentTheConsequent Member Posts: 51

Oh, that's right, money.

You get one DIGITAL COPY OF Camelot Unchained (all copies of Camelot Unchained come with at least a 1 month subscription)

+ OFFICIAL THANK YOU from all of us at CSE

+ REALM BUILDER HONOR

+ IN-GAME BADGE OF PIONEER

+ 5 FOUNDER’S POINTS for buyers of March On Oz (CSE Bonus Points)

+ 5 FOUNDER’S POINTS for backing this project

+ ACCESS TO THE FOUNDER’S EXCHANGE to redeem your Founder’s Points

+ “LIVING” DIGITAL MANUAL

+ SPECIAL IN-GAME TITLE

+ FOUNDER’S DEATH MARKER

+ BRONZE FORUM BADGE

and GUARANTEED ACCESS TO BETA 3.

Paying for beta? Hardly.

Originally posted by AdorianBlade

Oh, that's right, money.

How else are they going to fund this when they have no publisher or venture capatalist? Honestly only people who care about this game concept are going to fork over the money anyway and those are the best people to have help shape the game they want to play.

So if no professional companies who make their living based on how well the projects they support do would fund this game, why would I open my wallet?  If professionals weren't impressed or didn't think the game would do well, then it is up to hype'd up fans to get it funded?

No thanks.

• OgreRaperOgreRaper Member Posts: 376

Oh, that's right, money.

So if no professional companies who make their living based on how well the projects they support do would fund this game, why would I open my wallet?  If professionals weren't impressed or didn't think the game would do well, then it is up to hype'd up fans to get it funded?

No thanks.

If they get funding from a "professional company" to make CU, then it will be EA-Warhammer all over again.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    I think it's a good thing. You know people who help fund a project are going to actually care about how it turns out, and give the best feedback and bug reporting. Rather than inviting random people who sign up for every alpha/beta test they can.

You are saying $$$ = brains.

No.  You are still getting "random people who sign up for betas and alphas" but these ones pay a cover charge.

Oh, that's right, money.

No thanks.

I don't think you understand the point of this project, but in case you aren't trolling i'll explain. This games is being crowd source funded for a few reasons

Developers have vision and control over the game they wish to make

Game has a narrow focus and set goals as opposed to tack it on mentality of publishers

Community has a very strong say in how this game will be built as it is being built for them not some vague publisher with millions of dollars and a timetable.

(EDIT) I don't think this game was pitched to publishers or to venture capatilist, becuase the point of this game is to target a small market and not only would people who want to make the largest ROI not be interested they would also change the scope of the game.

• TheConsequentTheConsequent Member Posts: 51
    Originally posted by Telondariel

You are saying $$$ = brains.

No.  You are still getting "random people who sign up for betas and alphas" but these ones pay a cover charge.

No, saying $=care. Talk is cheap.

• ElectricWizardElectricWizard Member Posts: 47

Oh, that's right, money.

No thanks.

[mod edit] it was a conscious decision NOT to approach "professional companies" for funding. As its commonly known, Mark Jacobs does not want to be beholden to those companies but wants full control of his intellectual property and development of the game.

Oh, that's right, money.

No thanks.

I don't think you understand the point of this project, but in case you aren't trolling i'll explain. This games is being crowd source funded for a few reasons

Developers have vision and control over the game they wish to make

Game has a narrow focus and set goals as opposed to tack it on mentality of publishers

Community has a very strong say in how this game will be built as it is being built for them not some vague publisher with millions of dollars and a timetable.

If you need a recent example of developers that have an amazing, risky, ambitious vision that have full control over their game, while under a publisher, I can provide it.

I'm unsure why a narrow focus and set goals requires crowdsource funding.  Nor do I think generalizing all publishers is a well thought out idea.

I'm unclear how a large amount of community control would work with the developers vision and control you mentioned just a few lines earlier.  It sounds like it could be a disaster honestly.  Listening to feedback is one thing, but gamers likes and desires are so varied, I can see why professional companies with money wouldn't pick this up.

If they wanted to have crowd funding to get out of having a timetable, then that too is a recipe for disaster and horrible fan service.

So again, no thanks.

• TheHavokTheHavok Member UncommonPosts: 2,423

Inevitably, somebody is going to spend a lot of money, maybe over a thousand, maybe a couple thousand.  They will be super pumped, following this game every year, every month, every week, maybe everday.  They will read all the news about the game, they will participate in discussion about its progress.  They will go to bed thinking about how fun the game will be.

Then they finally get to play the game and they are disappointed.  They can't believe it.  What happened?  Where was feature X?  Why was feature Y so bad?  Its okay.  Just give it time for things to improve.  This is only (alpha, beta, release).  OMG its still not improving. WTF.  I SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON THIS PIECE OF SHIT.

I'm going to feel bad for that dude.

• FoggyeFoggye Member UncommonPosts: 96

First off, I appreciate your critism and fully respect your opinion.

I imagine it's in the KS because it's what people want.  What they asked for.  That if you care enough to put a fair bit of money into funding a game that you want to add your opinion to the final product.  It's a two-sided coin.  There's certainly some bad points about it (lack of some critism, entitlement, etc.), but allow me to example the postive ones:

• The majority of the testing are going to be done by people whom excited about the game as a whole, and care about it's success.
    • Being tested by the niche market it's being designed for.  That know what the game is about it, and the expectations in the founding principles.
    • Company doesn't have to wade through thousands of beta applications.
    • CSE is trying to build a community, why start before the game is even done.
    • People whom want to test the game don't have to fill out an application and pray for an invite.
    • Some backers will the power to beta invite other people.  Community might even pass out extras to people that didn't have the chance if they got a spare.

I think community, rewarding the backers, and having it tested by the backers are probably the key points.  Yeah, from a sideways chance having to pay to get into the alpha/beta may seem a bit screwball.  Although, it's all a matter of preception.  If I'm going to back the game with my money, then it's nice to know that I'm guaraneteed to get into the alpha/beta as a perk amongst the other benefits.
  • BowbowDAoCBowbowDAoC Member UncommonPosts: 472

To some people, being able to join such early stages of the game is something they really want. Each person gets excited with different things, and to some, IT stage and alpha stage are a must.

they love that.

Bowbow (kob hunter) Infecto (kob cave shammy) and Thurka (troll warrior) on Merlin/Midgard DAoC
    Thurka on WAR

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189

Oh, that's right, money.

No thanks.

Your argument isn't relevant to the situation with CSE and CU. 

• HokibukisaHokibukisa Member Posts: 185

I don't mean to say this fund raiser shouldn't offer awesome rewards tiers I'm just saying that personally I'm not all that interested in beta testing. I like the concept of getting the founders involved but a lot of people don't realize that beta testing is work. I like giving ideas. The founders forum is cool. A read-only access to internal design would be baller, assuming every founder is trustworthy, which you can't assume, so its a horrible idea.

Personally I don't enjoy beta testing there is about 100 hours worth of entertainment created each day that I would want to consume but I have to choose the creme to occupy my time. I bought endless space before it was finished, holy fuck what a mistake that was. Its good now but man getting early access to unfinished shit, no thanks.

• osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86
    Kickstart Vaporware or games that go straight to F2P. In anycase, what recent mmorpg without major funding has gone on to be epic? What have these Devs produced that shows they can make a quality MMORPG and support it? I truly want to know their qualifications before i shell out money for a product not due for 3 years.
  • uidCausticuidCaustic Member Posts: 128

DAoC was ok I suppose.. not really... actually...  I bought my way in because I have disposible income and I was bored.

So, your theory is pretty much shot there.

• OldskooOldskoo Member UncommonPosts: 189
    Originally posted by TheHavok

Inevitably, somebody is going to spend a lot of money, maybe over a thousand, maybe a couple thousand.  They will be super pumped, following this game every year, every month, every week, maybe everday.  They will read all the news about the game, they will participate in discussion about its progress.  They will go to bed thinking about how fun the game will be.

Then they finally get to play the game and they are disappointed.  They can't believe it.  What happened?  Where was feature X?  Why was feature Y so bad?  Its okay.  Just give it time for things to improve.  This is only .  OMG its still not improving. WTF.  I SPENT SO MUCH MONEY ON THIS PIECE OF SHIT.

I'm going to feel bad for that dude.

Massive dissapontment comes in many different ways, often much more important than a game. I know people who spent years and tons of money on an education to  only to find out that career wasn't for them. I don't really feel bad for anyone if a game or a career doesn't meet their expectations. That's the way it goes. There's no guarantees in anything. Don't know why it should be assumed that way in a game.

It's true though, some people hype something up to such an extent that it can never meet expectations. That should be something to be weary of in the case of a game.

• osiriszoranosiriszoran Member Posts: 86

My main concern would be dropping cash and the game turns out looking like shadowbane graphics or any of these other mmos with garbage graphics that are pvp oriented. 

Why can't we get a game that looks like 2013 and not 2002?

• MC_LaggMasterMC_LaggMaster Member Posts: 36

I think the old IT tier was better than the 180 dollar one.  Seems like they took out to much to try and make it not sell out.  Then gave it an item that you can only get from there to make sure it sells.

Also, no requirements for testing time has been posted that I have found.  This is something that needs to be posted before the KS starts.

Originally posted by osiriszoran
    Kickstart Vaporware or games that go straight to F2P. In anycase, what recent mmorpg without major funding has gone on to be epic? What have these Devs produced that shows they can make a quality MMORPG and support it? I truly want to know their qualifications before i shell out money for a product not due for 3 years.

DAOC and Vampire the Masqurade

• Corinthian-XCorinthian-X Member Posts: 86
    Originally posted by TheConsequent

Oh, that's right, money.

You get one DIGITAL COPY OF Camelot Unchained (all copies of Camelot Unchained come with at least a 1 month subscription)

+ OFFICIAL THANK YOU from all of us at CSE

+ REALM BUILDER HONOR

+ IN-GAME BADGE OF PIONEER

+ 5 FOUNDER’S POINTS for buyers of March On Oz (CSE Bonus Points)

+ 5 FOUNDER’S POINTS for backing this project

+ ACCESS TO THE FOUNDER’S EXCHANGE to redeem your Founder’s Points

+ “LIVING” DIGITAL MANUAL

+ SPECIAL IN-GAME TITLE

+ FOUNDER’S DEATH MARKER

+ BRONZE FORUM BADGE

and GUARANTEED ACCESS TO BETA 3.

Paying for beta? Hardly.

Glad someone gets it. Too bad the people that want to argue will just ignore your post.