Not sure about these patch notes, I think they're trying to break their own game!
It was a very productive month in March. The team enjoyed some R&R in our annual Las Vegas team week and after a lot of thought decided we needed to make some substancial changes to the core design of the game. We hope you enjoy these new and creative changes we came up with.
Abilities and Skills
- Added a stackable speed-debuff skill that will slow opponents down. When enough stacks have been applied, the negative speed debuff will cause time to go backwards.
- Genetically Engineered pets may now be revived by players with the grandmaster level of every skill.
- Added anti-decay skill which removes the need to repair weapons or armor, this will most likely be a cash shop item.
- Added new skill, learned in tutorial areas, that allows all new player characters to instantly go to any place in the game world they desire. This is given by an ultra rare NPC named John Smith who appears for thirty seconds in a random location and grants it to the first person who can answer a Repopulation Trivia Question..
- Added a ‘weightlifting’ skill. See full pack hiking.
- Added new permanent buff for grandmaster entertainers. It will provide +150% to all combat abilities, which will allow them to survive better. Only effective when playing music using one of the new instruments.
- In order to make English version of Tea, a new skill called Milking has been introduced into the game. A player equips a special ‘Lactation gun’ and finds a group of Hokfig. Using stealth the player gets within two meters of the Hokfig and fires from a prone position. The ‘relax the beast’ fittings will determine if you succeed. Failure causes the Hokfig to immediately attack. Success causes the Hokfig to lay down and roll onto its side in a random direction. The player must dodge the Hokfig and, still in stealth, achieve line of sight on the udders. Utilizing the milking gun once more with the ‘lactation release’ fitting will gain you 1 to 3 units of milk. The higher your skill in Milking, the better the quality of the milk obtained.
- Due to overwhelming player feedback, another AI pass has been implemented adding squad or herd based mechanics. No longer will any mob in range stand idle while you slay their friends. Expect pulls to average 4-7 mobs.
- Humanoid/intelligent species mobs will now taunt and criticize players who are not aesthetically pleasing to them. A Lesoo telling you you're ugly sounds particularly dirty. Please note, the Faugea fat insult is not actually saying 'Baby, you know you want this'.
- Humanoid mobs have been given personalities ranging from Friendly to Crotchety to Bi-Polar; these personalities will determine their individual behavior. Bi-polar mobs, for instance, will occasionally find a corner and cry in the middle of a fight.
- Mob awareness range has been increased to mirror vocal ranges of individual species. Supersonic vocal patterns will now occasionally call mobs from across the zone, or other zones, to assist. Expect pull increases of 9-15 mobs.
- Removed all current AI from the game; instead of programming we will be using trained monkeys to generate a more unique and random sequence for PvE; Each player the monkey kills will earn it a banana. Expect to die often.
- Added a track with Fran Drescher singing the 'Song that never ends'
- Added 15 new animal sounds to the game; due to budget constraints these are mostly natural body function sounds with the audio channels tweaked. We should not of put all of that kickstarter money on black.
- An in-game voice server will be implemented to allow players to communicate with nearby players, or players within their group or nation. In order to save on bandwidth, all voice transmissions will be processed through The Repopulation’s clientside SMRTSPEAK system, which sends only the first syllable of each word to the other player. The receiving player’s SMRTSPEAK system then predicts what the initial player intended to say and fills in the blanks.
- Audio has been disabled until we can find the source of the screaming. We apologize to those testers who have been unable to sleep or who have experienced nightmares.
- Added 6 new building types: Nightclub, Botanical garden, Spaceport, Pyramid, Harem, and Alcatraz Prison
- Pyramids add prestige to your city; they will also stand as monuments to the fallen leaders on Hardcore servers
- Botanical gardens introduce new plants to your city and increase Horticulture done inside your city's area of influence. Beware the sting of the Vaesparia pinnasine.
- Harems now significantly add to the City Happiness level. A high level of Biomedical skill in the Mayor is required to keep this building running and preventing a negative happiness rating (disease -10) from occurring.
- Thanks to some anonymous sponsors, all player cities will now include several structures for free. These include a Starbucks, McDonalds, and GameStop. Player cities must include at least one of all three of these structures.
- Added basements and underground tunneling to cities; unfortunately the water table on Rhyldan is quite high so this was futile, except as ways for aquatic animals to infest the cities, greatly expanding the possible Engagements.
- A new craftable siege engine has been added. Nicknamed the "Super Kersploder 5000" this is a chariot pulled by a team of 3 "death moose" and loaded with anti-matter cannons. It cannot be destroyed, and the "death moose" are able to kill NPC and PC characters instantly.
- Enabled a pop-up consent for PVP; this notification is enabled in all areas and will not turn on or off your PVP flag, but instead will inform your attacker if you are consenting. Ignoring the pop-up will cause the system to assume you are non-consenting, helping to prevent AFK botting.
- Based on player concern, “PvP” will now be referred to in-game as “player frown time.” This should create a better environment for exploration and player interaction.
- Due to overwhelming tester feedback, the "Super Kersploder 5000" will now be available for free to all players.
- Tab targeting has been adjusted based on player feedback. It will not target you when you first use it, then target the furthest enemy from you. If you press tab again, it will target you once more, then target a mob in a different zone, before properly targeting you again. This should provide a more streamlined experience for players.
- In order to ensure a proper rating from the ESRB, all blood has been replaced with bubbles. Guns will now fire beams of solidified laughter and joy, and “death” will now be referred to as a “timeout.”
- Due to last weekend’s "incident," the "Super Kersploder 5000" has been removed from the game.
- Players who perform poorly in pvp will receive a 24 hour buff that prevents them from taking any damage from other players. This buff may be received no more than once every 25 hours.
- Greatly increased the number of different crafting sub-components necessary per crafted item. On average, each item should now require several hundred different components to craft.
- Real-time crafting has been introduced - all items now require at least 3 days of real time to produce. To ensure this system is not abused, characters cannot perform any other actions while crafting.
- Added crafting recipes for the Lactation Gun
- Added Relaxation and Lactation Release Fittings
- English Tea now requires 4 units of milk to produce, Hot chocolate requires 20 units.
- Added a rare ship recipe, only obtainable during the Flood engagement
- Once players have mastered a recipe within any given crafting skill they will automatically reset all other recipe masteries to 1. This is intended to discourage the min-maxing trend prevalent amongst crafters in other MMOs.
- Added a new engagement to help keep factions balanced. If any faction is more than 10% out of balance with the others, the other factions will begin creating nuclear weapons. At 15% out of balance, they will start using them in order of city size. Please note, any character that dies to a nuclear explosion is perma'd as the blast destroys the Judair upload information.
- Added a new engagement in all ‘safe zones’ (non PVP areas) including instanced housing and tutorial zones. Each time a player kills a non aggressive creature it adds to an internal counter. When a critical threshhold is reached, Vorpal Bunnies are spawned that then lay waste to all ‘safe zones’ until destroyed server wide. The counter is then reset to 0.
- Added a Flood engagement. This engagement is ultra rare and triggers if the world rains for 40 straight days. Players will have to build an Ark and tame 2 of every creature in the world or everything will be destroyed and the server will have to start from scratch. This is on a separate timer for the Normal and Hardcore ruleset servers.
- Added a new engagement that tests nation leaders on their ability to rule a nation. Successfully answering 100% of the 500 question exam promotes the player to the rank of Evil Overlord, and grants that player GM specific abilities such as “Push Red Button”, “Almost Slay Hero” and “Tailoring: Craft Generic Dark Visor”.
- Changed inventory management to a weighted system - characters are given the ability to carry 40 lbs of gear
- Inventory weight limits can be increased by purposefully becoming encumbered and running around in pvp areas
- Butt-Cheek tattoos are now available as cash shop only purchases.
- The Repopulation launch date will be announced at PAX East 2013.
- Changed in game currency from credits to gold; gold will be measured in troy ounces - 15 troy ounces (or 15 gold) equals 1 pound
- Gold will be carried as an inventory item; to spend it you must have it in your inventory
- Added ultra rare cloning mutations - these mutations are random and occur less than .01% of the time but include special abilities like eyeball laser beams, extra arms, and the ever-popular levitation
- Due to inflation, the current credit transfer is approximately 100 credits per 15 gold; any gold that exceeds your current weight limit is discarded
- To prevent bots from signing up for free accounts, new registrants will be required to solve a differential calculus equation.
- For the mathematically challenged, an alternate option of 250 trivia questions on 50’s B-grade science fiction movies will be offered; an accuracy level of 95% of better is required to prove non-bot status.
- Due to excessive inflation, and the NPCs realization that gold is useless, they’ve hiked their price by 600%; contaminated water now costs 45 gold.
- Replaced all numbers in the game with base 10 logs to improve the sciencey feel of the game.
- General chat is disabled by default. Enabling General Chat requires two forms of picture ID proving you are over 21, plus a major credit card.
- Accounts on the normal ruleset server that are found to be ‘ganking, griefing, zerging or engaging in non-consensual pvp’ will, upon the first warning, be automatically transferred to the hardcore ruleset server. Note, no items equipped, in inventory, bank, or in any structures will be transferred, this would harm the economy of the hardcore ruleset server. Toons will be deposited without equipment on the hill in the exact center of the contested lands. Said character will have a Title of ‘Normal Ruleset Griefer’ that cannot be turned off until 100 hours of in-game time has passed, AND 1000 deaths. Good luck with that.
- Due to art asset budgets, the game is being converted to 8 bit graphics; a cash shop item will allow you access to the full 256 color wheel instead of the standard 16 colors.
- The emote “Coffee Grinding” has been added into the game as an ESRB acceptable substitute for Tea Bagging.
- Melee weapons have been removed from the game.
- Removed all dihydrogen monoxide from the game due to potential real life crossover dangers.
- Added an item that grants a 30 minute buff that allows PvE-oriented people to be safe from attack in open PvP areas. This is a cash shop only item, bound to character, one per IP address.
- Ranged weapons have been removed from the game.
- Added new combat oriented musical instruments to the game including a piccolo that shoots laser beams, a drum with a rapid fire EMP burst, and a melee bagpipe.
- Gnomes are now cash-shop purchasable decorations for your homes, but be aware A&B Technologies bears no responsibility if you turn your back and they move or disappear
- Added Hokfig milk to the game
- Grenades have been removed from the game.
- All cookiees now have a chance to spawn a Trixie NPC which will lecture your character on posture, table manners, and getting homework done in a timely fashion.
- Completion of an ultra rare epic mission named "Lottery" will award players with $50 worth of cash shop money each month for 649 Rhyldan years.
- Added many new missions including 'Kill 10 Rats', 'Kill 10 More rats', and 'Kill 10 of Those Big Rat-Looking Things'. Plus the ever popular 'Walk 10 Feet Across the Road and Deliver This Message For Me' mission.
- Escort missions have been revamped to require a maximum of 1/4 walking speed of the slowest person in the group.
- All missions will now require you to travel a minimum of a thousand seconds before turning in each step of a multi step task.
- Based on tester feedback, all aquatic animals can now swim through the air and no longer have, to quote one tester, "those horrible tentacles with mouths that haunt my nightmares."
- Approximately every 5th word of NPC dialog the word "actually" has been added.
- Added an NPC called "the Meatlump King". He looks exactly like Chuck Norris. His only ability is a roundhouse kick with a 100 meter radius.
- Added teats to the Hokfig models so no one will question where the milk comes from
- Added a random wandering NPC that sings the 'Song That Never Ends'. Please be aware that once you are in range to hear the song, you can never turn it off.
- Based on tester feedback, all NPCs have been removed from the game, this should provide players with a truer sandbox experience.
- It was recently realized that ferret DNA was smuggled aboard the Northern Star, and since, obviously, introducing a non-native species does not upset the natural equilibrium, the cloning techs have been producing ferrets for the colonists.
- All players now start out with a permanent ferret pet. If you do not play with your ferret, or obtain additional ferrets for it to socialize with, it will turn feral and attempt to harm you whilst you are asleep (offline).
- Due to several incidents with ferrets running away into the wild, all ferrets must be kept leashed or caged.
- The Naferret is now tamable, however, it is a fickle beast and will generally only remain with you as long as you have things in your inventory to steal.
- Based on tester feedback, the UI now comes in 6 pre-defined colors: Black, White, Neon Yellow, Neon Pink, Neon Purple, and Green on Pink Plaid with Yellow trim.
- Added color-name tags to everything in the game to keep the game friendly for the color-blind. Enemies will show up with a large tag floating above their heads that says "Red" with an arrow so you don't miss them.
- In order to ensure that everyone is treated equally, customizing the UI to anything other than its default settings will place a damage over time effect on the player’s character until the UI is reverted back to default.
- The Repopulation now allows players to customize the shape, size, and style of all UI elements, with tens of thousands of options available.
- The default UI color is Green on Pink Plaid with Yellow Trim. Reading glasses or sunglasses are recommended.
- Due to unforeseen coding issues between ferrets and the native Rhyldan species, the native species have died off, so we’ve replaced them with ferrets, except the Nacoot, which have been seen breeding with the ferrets.
- "Humans" are no longer an option during character creation.
- Players on the hardcore server are now only allowed three clones before Perma Death.
- All texture maps have been reversed and are now available only in low-resolution formats.
- Fixed a bug where the sky was visible, it should no longer be visible. This change is intentional.
- The shielding unit for Plymouth City has been deliberately damaged and FPR players are now allowed to attack and kill players in Plymouth City.
- Introduced the Naferret, a furry, fanged lizard creature who steals a random item from your equipment or inventory once per day. This allows items to be removed from the world to help keep the economy in balance.
- If Ferret dies, escapes, runs away, or becomes a bi-polar AI personality, it is replaced by a Naferret. All Naferrets are automatically replaced upon death or escape and the timer for stealing from your inventory is added to each replacement. If you have no items to remove, the ‘steal’ action will stack up to 250 times on all Naferrets on that account, until it succeeds in reducing it back down to 0.
- Basements and tunnels now increase the chance of atmospheric rain by 1% each. See Flood Engagement.